Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2001 6:00:23 PM EDT
I asked recently about the next 2 guns you'd like to get.  Many great replies...

Truth is, .22's are usually less expensive to buy and shoot.

Talk about the one's you've had or have or would like to get.  Every shooter has some good .22 story to tell.  Let's hear 'em. [^]
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 6:12:48 PM EDT
[#1]
i would really want a belt fed 22 or a american 180
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 6:15:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm picking up my third Ruger 10/22. I'll probably mod it with a heavy barrel & trigger.
[uzi]
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 6:17:03 PM EDT
[#3]
[b]cyrax777[/b], you took the words right out of my mouth.  Those mini Tippman .22 guns are just cool.  And, the American 180 kicks serious tail.  (Ever see a picture of the quad-mount Am 180?  Hell, even the dual ones are pretty sweet.

For pure fun?  Give me a preban Tec-22.  Yeah, yeah.  Crappy, junky, whatever.  They're just fun with a barrel extension and bump-fire.

A preban 10/22 is always good, too.  ESPECIALLY with a bi-pod, a Ramline 30, and a BMF Activator.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 6:17:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm picking up my third Ruger 10/22. I'll probably mod it with a heavy barrel & trigger.
[uzi]
View Quote

Why the heavy trigger?  Isn't the factory one heavy enough?[:D]
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 6:21:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I like any rimfire pistol made by High Standard.

New Haven, Hamden, or Houston.
Any of them.

That level of handwork sadly dosn't really exist in "production grade" firearms anymore.
The Texas Hi-S's have done a good jod with keeping the good name of High Standard intact.
Still though. I defy anyone on earth to find me a rimfire pistol with a finer trigger than a single action CT manufacture HD Military...
With that trigger, and those precise tolerences, those guns will group Benelli'esque if you can.
They are amazing.

Landon and High Standards, sitting in a tree..

K--I--S--S--I--N--G

First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes a baby in a baby carriage.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 6:22:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
[uzi]
View Quote

Why the heavy trigger?  Isn't the factory one heavy enough?[:D]
View Quote

No Doubt!
That is the first time I have ever heard anyone say they wanted a [b]HEAVIER[/b] trigger on a 10/22
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 6:30:22 PM EDT
[#7]
My next .22 will probably be an integrally supressed Ruger MkII.  Thinking about the GemTech Quantum...

[url]http://www.gem-tech.com/operator.html[/url]

But thats only because I already have an American 180.  And Cyrax777 - if you ever make it to the east coast, you're welcome to burn a few bricks through mine.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 6:50:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 6:54:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice Maynard!!! [:D]

I wish we had something like that around here...I'd for damn sure participate
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 6:58:35 PM EDT
[#10]
One gaping hole in my collection is a lever gun of some sort.

I've been checking into the Ruger 96/22 to fill that gap.  There's a ton of accessories that fit the 10/22 that will also fit the 96/22.

I'm thinking of adding the extended buttpad; a bbl. shroud and the Vortex flash suppressor for a unique approach.  The Weaver TO-9 scope base and Kwik-Site low rings with the TASCO Bantam/Pro-Shot reticle scope would top it off.

Can anyone tell me if the rumor is true that the 10/22 mags don't fit or function properly in the 96/22?

I've been collecting different .22's in as many action types as I can to assist in teaching "the children".
My Ruger MKII 678 Gov't model has a Leupold 2x20 scope in Millett rings (3) on a Power Custom base I had the gunsmith install.
There's a kit to help with quick stripping, but, it may void the warranty.  I may have to learn to strip this gun the right (read difficult) way.
I have a chance to get a Remington 341A .22 bolt action rifle made between 1936-40.  That may be first up.

Again, about the Ruger 10/22 - 96/22 mag compatibility?
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 7:29:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 7:39:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My next .22 will probably be an integrally suppressed Ruger MkII.  Thinking about the GemTech Quantum...
View Quote

those are so fun. last Saturday I had the pleasure of shooting several class 3 22s. (thanks again david_hineline) a pistol like you described, a suppressed Ruger 10/22, and a m16 .22 suppressed. I think the 3 coolest guns I have shot. I guess most class 3 is a luxury, and sort uneconomical, but that silenced Ruger is like a gun everyone should have the pleasure of owning. I could have shot it all day. accurate and not a peep out of it. man, that was some good shooting.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 7:51:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 8:17:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 8:21:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Maynard-
Thanks for checking.
If I remember correctly, we tried to figure out some small difference while at the gunshop, but, couldn't detect what it was that was different.
Maybe something about the extractor.  'dunno.
I'll wait and see what you find out or anyone else chimes in.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 8:39:01 PM EDT
[#16]
I love my little 10/22T - properly slung in prone you can actually watch the bullet fly down range through the scope! Bone stock it shoots better than I can, and I'm a fairly good shot.
I also have an old Winchester 69A that I used when I was a kid in NRA's junior marksmanship program (does that even exist anymore?). We shot at Aberdeen Proving Ground at an indoor range. Made it to Expert, but never stuck with it long enough to get the Distinguished class. Still have the rifle and it still shoots very well.
I really wish there were some small bore competition in my area. My dad and I would both probably shoot. Dad used to shoot on the national level back in the `40's and at one point was ranked #2 in the country. He got disgusted with post WWII rules changes and dropped out. He was in line to go to the `48 Olympics, but that was about when he gave it up for archery. Nowadays, at age 86, he still competes regionally in black powder matches.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 8:45:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'd love an American 180 - load on Monday and shoot all week long!
View Quote

I'm guessing you've never shot one of the little buzzguns. [:)] Trust me, its more like load all week and shoot for 5 minutes.  At almost 30rds/sec the drums get empty fast...[i]very[/i] fast.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 9:25:58 PM EDT
[#18]
I have over 35 .22 rifles, I would have to count them to get an exact number. My favorite one is a H&R Model 265 Targeteer that was my grandfathers. He gave it to my dad and then made my dad give it to me when I was 10 years old. I have shot it so much it is like a part of me when I take it out. I once shot in a rimfire club match years ago and won the 50 yard off hand going away. I recall a guy next to me shooting a Remington Model 37 with all of the fancy gear mumbling under his breath something like, "I can't believe I got beat by a hillbilly with a garage sale gun." The next match I requested the position next to his and waited until he was set up. I walked up and rolled out a piece of carpet next to his shoting mat and set down my Winchester 52B Bullgun and said, "Look what I just bought at a garage sale." I didn't win anything that day but I had a lot of fun.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 9:31:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Damn those 10/22s are addictive!
I've got 5 of them so far, and 2 80% receivers with enough parts to build almost 2 more.
I can't stop. I even bought one for my brother since I "had" to buy another one but couldn't justify bringing another one home.
Here's 3 of them:
[img]http://www.rimfirecentral.com/fgallery/fpics/14.jpg[/img]

[size=6]The 10/22 RULES!![/size=6]
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 9:36:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 9:39:21 PM EDT
[#21]
This one isn't mine but it is in my safe.  My neighbor, a cop, was offerd a prewar Colt Woodsman by an elderly lady whose husband passed away.  Cost him all fo sixty bucks.  It really is a beautiful pistol.  Why can't this stuff happen to me.

Plus reminds me, I sent my Trailside back to the factory for not locking back on the last shot and for some funky bubbling of the finish on the slide.  I gotta give them a call tomorrow.  Great pistol though.  Accurate and a fantastic trigger.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 9:53:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Treetop, real nice collection, I am in the process of building a 10-22 and your photos really impress me, but makes me want more than one!!
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 10:45:43 PM EDT
[#23]
[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=395477&a=2919909&p=26898769&Sequence=0&res=high[/img]

If it ain't on an AR platform I don't own one. This one has a 1:16 twist Douglas barrel made specifically for .22 by Kurt's Kustom. Lower is a Colt with JP speed hammer and trigger.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 11:33:50 PM EDT
[#24]
I decided not to get the Thomspon Contender, but a Thompson Encore with a .22lr barrel instead.
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 3:24:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Here's mine:

22LR SBR:
- SGW-OLY pre-ban lower with Jewell trigger
- Accuracy Speaks upper (true 22LR chamber/bore)
- Ciener 22LR conversion
- Gemtech Hornet suppressor
- Trijicon ACOG TA50-4
- Hogue grip
- Colt M4 handguards
- Colt 4-position CAR stock
- MWS/GGG sling-support

[url]albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=258760&a=12559875&p=52238257[/url]
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 4:25:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Someday I'd like to get a TOZ 35.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 4:32:02 AM EDT
[#27]
I love my suppressed .22s!  I have a Ruger 77/22 stainless and a Mark II with an AWC Archangel III muzzle can. I'd post a pic but I don't know how!

Everyone should have a suppressed .22.  You can shoot anywhere, anytime!  

QS
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 5:56:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Want Anschutz M54.  With silencer.  [:D]   Er, when allowed by our gracious rulers.  It has finally dawned on me that no matter how many guns I have, I always shoot 22LR more than any other cartridge.  Might as well have a nice accurate one.
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 7:59:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 8:38:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Another really fun .22 is a TEC-22 Scorpion.
No, i'm not kidding.

If you have some good Ruger 10/22 pre-ban mags to feed it with, the short trigger stroke allows you to empty a 30 round mag in a snap, with damn near no recoil... It sounds a bit slower than a full auto if you personally have good trigger finger speed.

Sure, it jams now and then (Though not as often as some people claim- I have owned 4). But if you take the gun for what it is (Not a defense weapon), it is a blast, and SUPER cheap to shoot.
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 11:04:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
This one isn't mine but it is in my safe.  My neighbor, a cop, was offerd a prewar Colt Woodsman by an elderly lady whose husband passed away.  Cost him all fo sixty bucks.  It really is a beautiful pistol.  Why can't this stuff happen to me.
View Quote

I own one of those pre war Woodsmans!  Only problem is, it is a first edition, which means no Hi velocity ammo.  You should see the groups with the target stuff though!  Using a 4-wheeler as a rest, I shot a rock chuck at 67 paces with it, one shot.  I have also shot chucks with it off of my moving 4-wheeler--running away from me.  It did take me 8 shots though.  No one would believe me, except my friend was coming up from behind me on his, and witnessed the whole thing.  Absolutely, the most accurate pistol I have ever shot.  My 7 year old shot it for the first time this summer.  He hit the swinging gong at 15yds 3 times.  I was so proud of him!

And Ratters, If I haven't made ya feel bad yet..... My dad owns 3 more,  which he said I would be getting soon enough for my sons!
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 5:11:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 7:00:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I'd love an American 180 - load on Monday and shoot all week long!

Looking to get another 10/22.
View Quote

[:)]  Not with THEIR cyclic rate!...  It's more like:

"Load Monday and shoot for six seconds!"
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 12:06:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Does anyone have a picture of the Feather 180 from 1989?  I've been trying to get a look at one of those.  I saw one for sale at Gunsamerica, but no photo.  Semi-auto .22LR holds 180 rounds.

MG
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 12:09:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Does anyone have a picture of the Feather 180 from 1989?  I've been trying to get a look at one of those.  I saw one for sale at Gunsamerica, but no photo.  Semi-auto .22LR holds 180 rounds.

MG
View Quote

Your thinking of the American 180-
They look like a Thompson, with a pan mag on top.
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 2:21:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

MG
View Quote

I think you mean the American 180 made by American Arms and ILLARCO (Illinois Arms Co.).  The Yugoslavian MGV-176 as also basicly the same gun.  E&L Manufacturing now owns all the tooling and rights for the AM180 and they make the semi-auto versions on the US market.  If you're looking at a semi, they're ok I suppose.  A Calico M100 would be a far better choice though.  If you have one in full auto (I do [:)]), the AM180 is about the most fun you can have with your pants on.

Ironically, to my knowledge, there never was a 180rd drum; the original metal drums held 177rds, but they soon altered the design to hold only 165 for better reliability.  Lexan drums were also made later in 165rd, 220rd, and 275rd capacities.  Depending on ammo they run somewhere around 27-30rds per second.  Here's mine with one of the metal drums on top...

[img]wsphotofews.excite.com/027/MS/uZ/wt/wt80918.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 2:29:34 PM EDT
[#37]
I don't know how anyone could like a 10/22! What a hunk of junk.....
just look at this one here [img]http://www.members.home.net/martinmac/guns/10_22[/img]

You cant hardly hit a clay pigion with this one at 200 yards.

Ok so I lied I love my 10/22 and its deadly fun shooting at clays @ 200 yards.
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 3:00:39 PM EDT
[#38]
love my ruger 10/22. dont shoot it much but the price was right.  won it in a drawing. stainless, laminated stock
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 10:00:33 PM EDT
[#39]
NEGATIVE HOMBRES!  Feather made a high capacity .22 LR in '89, called the AM180 (their semi-automatic version of the American 180.)  Check gunsamerica under the "assault rifles/pistols" section; GA# 976105266.  My bad, it only holds 177 rounds instead of 180.  I guess they're just rounding off. hehe.....

I'm surprised no one here is aware of this firearm, however it is a rather obscure piece made in limited numbers.

MG
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 10:30:15 PM EDT
[#40]
I really like  Browning  Buckmarks

Ruger 10/22's

and anything Anschutz makes

oh & old S&W Model 41's
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 4:13:39 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
NEGATIVE HOMBRES!  Feather made a high capacity .22 LR in '89, called the AM180 (their semi-automatic version of the American 180.)  Check gunsamerica under the "assault rifles/pistols" section; GA# 976105266.  My bad, it only holds 177 rounds instead of 180.  I guess they're just rounding off. hehe.....

I'm surprised no one here is aware of this firearm, however it is a rather obscure piece made in limited numbers.

MG
View Quote

MeanGreen -  The semi-auto Feather guns were the product of a partnership between Feather and ILLARCO.  ILLARCO had the rights to the gun and was producing post-samples for law enforcement, but they partnered with Feather to market a semi version.  The partnership didn't last long and went out of business, at which time E&L Manufacturing bought the rights, tooling, and anything else that was left from ILLARCO.  The gun produced under the Feather name was, however, just an American 180 made in partnership between ILLARCO and Feather.  My guess is that ILLARCO actually manufactured the guns (they had the tooling) while Feather got their name stamped on the side and did the marketing and distribution.  Feather was, after all, a more well known name in the firearms industry at the time.  Same gun (exactly the same gun) but a different name on the side.
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 6:03:42 PM EDT
[#42]
shaggy you are the man!  Thanks for the info.  I was aware of the firearm, but not its history.  I wonder how many of these were actually produced?  The one for sale on GA was only $950 bones.  Seems like a pretty fair price.  I agree that in practical terms the Calico M100 is better firearm to own.  (That's why I have one.)  Also, nice AM180 you have there.  I'd post a pic of my Grendel R31 carbine, but since the website changed my picture posts have been unsuccessful.

[img]file:///C|/WINDOWS/Desktop/DSCF0055.JPG[/img]

see?!
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 6:46:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Nice Maynard!!! [:D]

I wish we had something like that around here...I'd for damn sure participate
View Quote

Landon:

I'm pretty sure "mini-palma" is active in several places in Florida.  Check out the Delphi forums for either Florida Highpower or Florida Smallbore and post a message for German Salazar.

HTH....SRM
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 8:53:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
shaggy you are the man!  Thanks for the info.  I was aware of the firearm, but not its history.  I wonder how many of these were actually produced?  The one for sale on GA was only $950 bones.  Seems like a pretty fair price.  I agree that in practical terms the Calico M100 is better firearm to own.  (That's why I have one.)  Also, nice AM180 you have there.  I'd post a pic of my Grendel R31 carbine, but since the website changed my picture posts have been unsuccessful.

[img]file:///C|/WINDOWS/Desktop/DSCF0055.JPG[/img]

see?!
View Quote

MeanGreen - I don't know what state you're in, but if you can legally own a full auto, I'd recommend saving up and getting a full auto AM180.  Check out this vid of one shooting (not mine)...

[url]1919a4.com/gca/ogc-toad-am180.mpg[/url]
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 11:11:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I own one of those pre war Woodsmans!  Only problem is, it is a first edition, which means no Hi velocity ammo.  You should see the groups with the target stuff though!  Using a 4-wheeler as a rest, I shot a rock chuck at 67 paces with it, one shot.  I have also shot chucks with it off of my moving 4-wheeler--running away from me.  It did take me 8 shots though.  No one would believe me, except my friend was coming up from behind me on his, and witnessed the whole thing.  Absolutely, the most accurate pistol I have ever shot.  My 7 year old shot it for the first time this summer.  He hit the swinging gong at 15yds 3 times.  I was so proud of him!

And Ratters, If I haven't made ya feel bad yet..... My dad owns 3 more,  which he said I would be getting soon enough for my sons!
View Quote

I recently inherited my grandfathers '49 Woodsman Target Match. Last weekend, I shot it for the first time since I was a kid, 25+ years ago. What a sweet gun. It really makes my modern handguns seem like pieces of crap in the areas of workmanship, fit, and finish. This was the first time I even bothered to try shoot 100yd targets with a handgun, and was surprisingly sucessful at it.

I also got his Winchester model 75 bolt action .22. The serial number is in the 1600's, anyone know how old it might be? My guess is that he bought it in the late '20s.
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 8:41:16 AM EDT
[#46]
What??? no Marlin M60s??  or a Remington Viper?
Cheap, fun and you cant beat that Marlin for tack-driving.

CB
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 9:22:16 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
What??? no Marlin M60s??  or a Remington Viper?
Cheap, fun and you cant beat that Marlin for tack-driving.

CB
View Quote

I do have a Marlin M60 also, in a RamLine side folding stock. It's OK, but I wouldn't put it in the same class as a 10/22. I just like the 10/22 WAY better.
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 11:45:30 AM EDT
[#48]
New England arms has a .22 and .22 mag version of the Handi Rifle. I saw a .22 mag new for sale in Shotgun News for $89. It would make a neat, cheap truck gun. I have an old Ithaca model 49 .22 in there right now but the .22 mag might be a better choice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top