Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2001 11:17:39 AM EDT
Are Surefire lithium batteries recharchable?  If they are do they provide you with a charger with the flashlight or do you have to buy it seperate?  Any help would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 11:37:45 AM EDT
[#1]
[red][b][size=5]NO - NO - NO![/size=5][/b][/red]

They can AND WILL explode if subject to charging current.   (don't ask... VERY long story [}:D])

Despite their seemingly high cost, lithium batteries have several distinct advantages over other technologies:

- VERY long shelf life (aprox 10yrs -- depending upon stored temperature)

- High current output with minimal taper. (powered device runs "bright" until it kicks off -- doesn't "dim" on the way down)

- Compact size relative to output.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 11:42:27 AM EDT
[#2]
There are rechargeable Surefire variants and yes a charging system would come with it but that is not the setup you have.

If you need some batteries let me know, I had some f/s several weeks ago and still have a few left at a very reasonable price.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 11:53:28 AM EDT
[#3]
I've seen them (DL123's) on eBay for as little as a buck each. At those prices and with the shelf life, you really won't need a rechargeable unless you use the light a LOT. I usually use a big Maglight for general purpose stuff.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 11:59:08 AM EDT
[#4]
I may be wrong, but I don't think rechargeable will last you very long either.  Don't want your Surefire to die when you need it!!
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 1:17:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Are the lithium batteries made by Duracell?  If so I can get them pretty cheap at Cheaperthandirt.com.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 1:25:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I sent you an e-mail.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 1:50:19 PM EDT
[#7]
No.
Hint: Buy the "Hurricane" packs from Surefire.
I know Botach has them... Though they are weird on delivery times. They have them for $35.00
For $35 you get 12 Duracell batteries and a stupid bulb, it's a Hurricane lamp, get it ? .
The forward thinking people at Surefire get a deal and do this. The backward thinking people at Duracell won't let other sell their batteries in bulk for a good price.
Bingo, Hurricane lamp.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 2:48:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Actually, lithium batteries are better than NiCd rechargeables because as they run down, your light will get noticeably dimmer but over a long period of time, allowing you to detect the fact that your battery is low.  

Contrast a NiCd which gives you very little warning that it is about to die -- the light is bright one moment and then it shuts off.  In a tactical (there's that word again) situation, you don't want your light to suddenly die on you unexpectedly -- far better to have ample warning time (as with lithium batteries) where you can swap out fresh batteries in plenty of time.

I agree, get yourself a Surefire 12B, they are economical (~$40 if you shop around) and will last a long time, even if you have multiple Surefires to feed.

Justin
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 2:55:37 AM EDT
[#9]
After a runtime/output trial with SureFire SF123A 3V Lithium batteries, I will be using only these in my SureFires from now on.

Better light for longer compared with Ultras.

My results with the P60 Lamp, and from what I've read about the results with the P61 Lamp are such that I can't wait to trial the SF123A in the 12PM and M6!

Al
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top