Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2006 8:36:51 AM EDT
Inaccurate, but I love the shameless self-promoton.  For a commie, this guy has sure embraced capitalism when it comes to the marketing of his invention.

reuters.excite.com//article/20060417/2006-04-17T141450Z_01_N17237277_RTRIDST_0_ODD-RUSSIA-KALASHNIKOV-DC.html

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Mikhail Kalashnikov, designer of the world's most popular assault rifle, says that U.S. soldiers in Iraq are using his invention in preference to their own weapons, proving that his gun is still the best.

"Even after lying in a swamp you can pick up this rifle, aim it and shoot. That's the best job description there is for a gun. Real soldiers know that and understand it," the 86-year-old gunmaker told a weekend news conference in Moscow.

"In Vietnam, American soldiers threw away their M-16 rifles and used (Kalashnikov) AK-47s from dead Vietnamese soldiers, with bullets they captured. That was because the climate is different to America, where M-16s may work properly," he said.

"Look what's happening now: every day on television we see that the Americans in Iraq have my machine guns and assault rifles in their armored vehicles. Even there American rifles don't work properly."

Some U.S. troops in Iraq have reportedly taken to using AK-47s in preference to the standard-issue M-16. The Cold War-era gun, renowned for its durability and easy handling, is plentiful in Iraq.

Kalashnikov designed his first weapon in 1947 and is still chief constructor at Izhmash arms factory in Izhevsk in the Urals mountains.

The factory's director Vladimir Grodetsky told the news conference that around a billion rifles had been produced around the world using parts of Kalashnikovs or based on the same design, only 10-12 percent of which were made in Russia.

Link Posted: 4/17/2006 8:39:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 8:39:32 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd be proud too
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 8:39:50 AM EDT
[#3]
what would be the reprocussions if a soldier decided to ditch his m4/m16 and start to pack an AK?
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 8:44:01 AM EDT
[#4]
I thought him and Stoner were like buds before Eugene died...? Now, this?

I haven't heard any stories of gun failures (other than the problems with the M4's gas system) from the sandboxes. Long range lethality, yes... Durability, no.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 8:46:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Rusted Ace has a pic of an FN M-16 that he carried over in Iraq. It is literally caked with sand inside and out and according to Rusted Ace it worked just fine.

Link Posted: 4/17/2006 8:54:56 AM EDT
[#6]
I just got an email from a Marine in the box about what he thinks of the M16.  Would that add anything to the conversation?  
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 9:00:02 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Rusted Ace has a pic of an FN M-16 that he carried over in Iraq. It is literally caked with sand inside and out and according to Rusted Ace it worked just fine.

I would never carry an AK47 into battle unless I had too. There is a long list of guns in front of it I would use. I wouldnt mind carrying a 74, but it even is far less versitile than the M16.

Tales of the gun M16 is on right now and guy pegged it: "The only people who use Ak47s right now are revolutionaries who cant afford M16s"
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 9:07:44 AM EDT
[#8]
As I understand it soldiers were packing AK-47 in the Gulf, but it was because vechile drivers weren't issued enough rifles.  In some cases a vechile would get 1 rilfe and the rest had pistols.  So they started packing AKs they captured.   Then command noticed this and started calling for more M-4s.

This was early in the war and there were a few articles about it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 9:09:30 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=455892&page=1&#-1

I think this is the first "dupe" where DU beat us to the punch.

For a second there, I thought I duped an actual arfcom thread.  I'm like, "dammit, I searched!"

I'm not sure how anybody would know this topic was even indirectly discussed - since I doubt any search would have hinted that "It is funny listening to liberals talk about guns.. " was a thread about an article where Kalashnikov touted the AK.

Dang, though, DU sure is hard to follow.  I hate the "threaded" message board look.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 9:09:53 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

img413.imageshack.us/img413/2759/p72800897he.jpg
img402.imageshack.us/img402/9307/alasad1340if.jpg

I would never carry an AK47 into battle unless I had too. There is a long list of guns in front of it I would use. I wouldnt mind carrying a 74, but it even is far less versitile than the M16.

Tales of the gun M16 is on right now and guy pegged it: "The only people who use Ak47s right now are revolutionaries who cant afford M16s"

dude thats just not right the dirty wepon pic that is.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 9:15:24 AM EDT
[#11]
I'll Jap Slap that old fool!!!
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 9:16:38 AM EDT
[#12]
it's the best because it's the cheapest to produce
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 9:17:59 AM EDT
[#13]
this idiot made me laugh

Yea I remember the m-16 jamming a lot, think about shitting your pants

when it happened too as you think that thought. Another advantage is the fact you can use the us ammo in the ak 47 if you need to, not very accurate but better than nothing.

Link Posted: 4/17/2006 9:18:32 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow, Thanks for posting those.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 9:19:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Here is my take on it.  If I use a captured AK. I can wrap my M4 in a plastic bag, leave it in the truck and not have to worry about cleaning it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 9:19:44 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Inaccurate, but I love the shameless self-promoton.  For a commie, this guy has sure embraced capitalism when it comes to the marketing of his invention.

Gotta love that, even if he's blowing smoke up everyone's ass.

Link Posted: 4/17/2006 9:24:36 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Funny - I read the "Jap" thread just before opening this one.

Link Posted: 4/17/2006 9:25:15 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kalishnikov is so old n' crazy he doesn't even know what day of the week it is, pour another vodka old man!

He's probably still sending hate mail to FDR.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 9:27:52 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

"In Vietnam, American soldiers threw away their M-16 rifles and used (Kalashnikov) AK-47s from dead Vietnamese soldiers, with bullets they captured. That was because the climate is different to America, where M-16s may work properly," he said.

Yeah, when your M16 is outta ammo, and the bad guys aren't interested in giving you a break, I'd pick up a AK from a dead ricer too.

Or from a dead Tango.

Link Posted: 4/17/2006 9:27:59 AM EDT
[#20]
I sold my AK to buy stuff for my M4.

The sights blow, it wasn't that accurate, etc. I can quickly turn my AR-15 from a subgun sized weapons to a DMR.

And I've seen an AK jam.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 9:28:28 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
He's probably still sending hate mail to FDR.

Link Posted: 4/17/2006 9:29:47 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I picture him doing Ron Popeil-style infomercials and broadcasting them around the world on Free-to-air satellite.  Imagine, "If you act now, we will throw in one bottle of premium Kalashnikov Vodka*"

*offer void in areas under Shariah law
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 9:32:52 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Obviously that's fake or photoshopped, because I've heard TONS of people kids on ar15.com say that an AR/M16/M4 will jam unless it is constantly cleaned, and the slightest amount of dirt or grime will cause it to fail completely.

Link Posted: 4/17/2006 9:37:47 AM EDT
[#24]
I hear troops prefer the Robarms XCR over the AK.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 9:37:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 9:40:07 AM EDT
[#26]
it makes sense to us AK on a behind enemy lines type of mission. AK makes very distinctive sound, when you have to open fire in a situation like that, enemy will think his own guys are firing and wont get alarmed that quickly.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 9:48:59 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
it makes sense to us AK on a behind enemy lines type of mission. AK makes very distinctive sound, when you have to open fire in a situation like that, enemy will think his own guys are firing and wont get alarmed that quickly.

When there are dozens of "enemy" factions, plus the Iraqi government forces, all fighting each other and all using AK's, that logic makes less sense.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 9:49:23 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

LOL!!!! bout made me shit myself.

Hey Rusted Ace... nice weapon brutha! LOL, if my weapon looked like that I'd get ripped, of course Im just a AF REMF... but I do load and unload all the shit on this COB that comes in by plane

I'm glad it kept runnin for yah, keep your head down brutha, hopefully your getting short, I am less than a month out... dunno how the army guys stand a year in this place
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 9:52:28 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When there are dozens of "enemy" factions, plus the Iraqi government forces, all fighting each other and all using AK's, that logic makes less sense.

Some special Iraqi units were getting M4s, they much perfered them to AKs.........

Wonder what people will say about that.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 9:55:56 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Nail was hit right on the head there bro.

Link Posted: 4/17/2006 9:56:12 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Some special Iraqi units were getting M4s, they much perfered them to AKs.........

As a logistician and ordnance puke, my first thought is the nightmare of keeping them resupplied with quality ammo.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 9:58:25 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I wonder if the Iraqies will log onto ARF to findout where to get Aimpoints and Magpul junk!
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 10:00:13 AM EDT
[#33]

“If an AK was a watch it would always be running and never have the right time.”

I’m pretty sure that that originated on this forum. I can't remember who deservers the credit though.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 10:01:43 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/17/2006 10:15:17 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

“If an AK was a watch it would always be running and never have the right time.”

I’m pretty sure that that originated on this forum. I can't remember who deservers the credit though.

Bwahaha, new sig line.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 10:20:02 AM EDT
[#36]
Hi. I'm Mr Nobody and I'm a DU troll.  I just couldn't take it. So I registed and responded. I used a email account that gets nothing but spam so it's no loss if they mess with it.

They were saying crap like an ak-47 will shoot 5.56 but it will just ruin the case and be inaccurare, that the bcg is stainless and linking to three year old stories. I didn't call anyone a dumbass or do anything truely troll like. I just set some facts straight.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 10:33:23 AM EDT
[#37]
I'll take both, thank you.

Link Posted: 4/17/2006 7:24:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Mag changes suck on the AK as well as the selector.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top