Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/15/2006 4:16:09 PM EDT
One POSSIBLE solution to the kaboom problem is to use a replacement barrel with a fully supported chamber, such as a KKM or Jarvis barrel. They have the added benefit of being compatible with non-jacketed bullets.

Do any of you guys use them?

Link Posted: 4/15/2006 4:17:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I do, I have one for shooting lead bullets, in my G21

A friend of mine works for a local company that makes bulk lead bullets, and I get free bullets all the time, I thought it was worth it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 4:35:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't think there's a doubt that the Glock kaboom problem is directly attributable to the partially unsupported chambers in the barrels they use.  Replace the weak link, and you've got a very tough and versatile pistol.

And to answer the original question - I haven't changed any of mine, but I have seen a couple of replacements.  They were fine - as accurate or more than the factory barrels.  And no kabooms as of yet.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 5:03:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I only have 1 replacement barrel for 1 out of my 5 glocks, a cheapie Federal Arms barrel I got off of eBay for $65 or so to shoot my lead reloaded bullets.

The other guns I shoot lead reloads then about every 4th mag shoot a couple of FMJ rounds to scrub out the lead.  I dunno, nothing's kaboomed so far.

When I get the coin again, I want to get a KKM bbl for each of the Glocks just to shoot cheaper lead reloads.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 5:44:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Have you guys had any issues with feeding or reliability, especially when the gun is dirty?
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 5:45:25 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Have you guys had any issues with feeding or reliability, especially when the gun is dirty?

Not with mine.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 5:46:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a non glock comped barrel and a 357 Sig barrel for my G35
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 5:57:22 PM EDT
[#7]
No issues, and I like my guns dirty and dry.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 6:00:31 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

The other guns I shoot lead reloads then about every 4th mag shoot a couple of FMJ rounds to scrub out the lead.  I dunno, nothing's kaboomed so far.

That seems like a really, REALLY bad idea.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 10:25:51 PM EDT
[#9]
I got a KKM Model 23 barrel a while back.

I tried it with a box Federal Hydroshoks and got quite a few malfunctions.  Specifically, as the round fed into the chamber it seemed to have trouble reorienting from a slightly upward pointing direction to a straight forward direction, and the slide would fail to go into battery.

KKM has a caution that its chamber is less than SAMMI specs.  And I suspect that’s ultimately the cause.

In fairness, I haven’t gotten around to trying any other brand of ammo.

Wish now I’d gotten a Bar-Sto instead.  When I get around to it (and assuming an ammo change doesn’t solve the problem), I’m going to open the KKM chamber up to SAMMI specs and see if that helps.

Quoted:

Quoted:

+ 1 million

If you must do this, please take photos of both the pistol and your hand so you can a before and after thread here later.  

Seriously – bad idea.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 4:13:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Same issues as 199, but with a Jarvis. I sort of fixed it by some polishing and going to a 2# heavier recoil spring, but it wasn't any more accurate and I was still getting failures to feed. I finally decided it was worth the extra $10 a case to shoot new, jacketed ammo. No more reman ammo for me and I don't reload. That barrel (for a G23) is now gathering dust and it's back to box-stock-Glock.

aa
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 5:00:28 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I dont try to do it often and I am considering KKM replacement bbls
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 5:12:41 AM EDT
[#12]
I have a .357 Sig barrel for my G-23 I use every now and then.
Of course I don't have Glock kaboom issues.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 5:19:52 AM EDT
[#13]
I have used KKM in a longslide .40 and in a Glock 22 .40 to convert both to .357 Sig.  True drop in fit, and work very well.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 5:23:12 AM EDT
[#14]
In my carry Glocks (G17, G21, G31) I use a stock bbl.  In my competition Glocks (G34, G35) I use KKM bbls, only because my practice USPSA handload was tumbling at 7yds.  But in my CZ it ran fine.  I think the low velocity combined with the polygonal rifling and a long bullet caused the tumbling.

My USPSA practice load is a 147gr Berrys FMJ (plated) going 875fps using Federal primers and VV320 and works great in the KKM.  It's a very high pressure but low velocity round and requires an undersize sizing dies to prevent bullet set back.  I've basically stopped shooting Production division since I got my STI limited gun, but I do miss shooting in Production.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 5:37:58 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Define dirty?
I rarely go past 1000 rounds without at least a light cleaning.
At the range, after 300-400 rounds I will pull the barrel real quick and run a rag over the feed ramp. In many thousands of rounds through a couple of Glocks, I have never had even a single failure of any kind...with several ammo manufacturers. (all FMJ)

My Glocks are bone stock with factory barrels and springs.
Under normal conditions you are going to have a hard time getting one to fail, assuming it isnt defective. I personally keep mine clean since I carry them and trust my life to them, but they have gone bang every time I pulled the trigger.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top