Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2001 5:07:50 AM EDT
For those with Compuserve as their ISP, how is there service?  Do they log you off constantly?  Good speed? (for a dial-up)

Has anyone used their $400 rebate when buying a computer?  Was it easy to do?  

Thanks for any info.
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 5:42:52 AM EDT
[#1]
CompuServe?  Peee-yewww!  Had them for an iSP for about two months.  BAD NEWS!

BTW, CS removed CompuServe Firearms Forum about two years ago.  They're anti-gun.
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 5:49:17 AM EDT
[#2]
tex, we use compuserve at work...no problems. our phones lines run slower than what c-serve is capable of, so any loss of speed is due to our equipment.

we don't lose the connection or get bumped very often, so reliability has been pretty good.

overall, as an isp, i give it good marks despite its' aol buyout.
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 6:15:13 AM EDT
[#3]
SOME FACTS:

I cancelled them.

Three months later I was billed by them.

I called them
to find out why.

They told me that they had suspended fees
for three months just in case I decided to
change my mind.

I had not.

I cancelled them again.

Next thing I know,
I am an AOL member.

I was charged $29.95 despite the fact
that I never
gave AOL my credit card number
and I never used their service.
I found out about my membership
only after reading my credit card statement.

AOL had sent a membership
package in the junk mail format
to Compuserve
users.

If you did not cancel,
you were automatically enrolled.

So I cancelled both AOL and my credit card.

What a pain in the ass.
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 1:53:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Personally, I cannot stand CS.  I have it at home.  Rebate sounds good at 1st, then you have to deal with the service.  I get disconnected on a regular basis(if I can even get through)!!!  Also, like gardenWeasel, I somehow got subscribed to AOL.  Found out when my credit card bill came.  I called them to see what was going on, and they told me that I had to cancel AOL if I did not want it!!!  WTF, I never even subscribed to AOL!!!  They pulled up to see how many times I had longed onto AOL, and saw that I had never logged onto AOL and activated the account and said they would credit my credit card account.  Next month, another $29.95 charge for the AOL and CS.  Finally, got it all squared away.  Now, just waiting on my 3 year contract to expire and so long Compuserve!!!  When I signed up they mailed the rebate check to you and it took like 3 months to get mine but I was told it would be 6-8 weeks.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 3:03:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I was one of the early users of CompuServe had an account of 70676,44x... back when they charge $3.00 per hour for 300 BPS and $12.00 per hour for 1200 BPS

Alas a couple of years ago when AOL went to unlimited usage AOL needed capability that they did not have .. and CompuServe (who had bought op The Source and Delphi back in the early '80s) had tons of networking infrastructure that was under utilized... so AOL bought CompuServe...
Ted...

Link Posted: 8/19/2001 3:15:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top