Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2006 8:56:56 AM EDT
We're holding strong so KEEP MAKING NOISE IN YOUR SENATOR'S EAR!!!!

McCain Lacks Votes for Guest-Worker Plan

Supporters of a guest worker program that would let illegal immigrants stay in the United States said Tuesday they don't have enough Senate votes to overcome objections from conservatives who oppose the measure on grounds it amounts to amnesty.

As negotiators worked on a compromise to let those who have been here longest remain, Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., said a majority in the 100- member Senate support his and Massachusetts Democratic Sen. Edward M. Kennedy's proposal to provide green cards to illegal immigrants after they've worked in the U.S. for six years.

But it takes 60 senators to overcome opponents' parliamentary tactics, and McCain said he doesn't have that many.

More than 11 million illegal immigrants are believed to be in the U.S., and Sen. Mel Martinez, R-Fla., said he and Sen. Chuck Hagel, R- Neb., are pushing a "fallback" plan that would put those who have been here the longest on a track toward citizenship but treat more recent arrivals differently. A similar approach was rejected by the Senate Judiciary Committee last week but it was revived Monday night during a meeting in Majority Leader Bill Frist's office.

About 30 Republican senators huddled for more than an hour Tuesday but no consensus emerged. President Bush has championed a program that would give illegal immigrants a legal status to work in the U.S. but has not specified whether they should have to leave the country at some point.

McCain and Kennedy deny that their proposal is amnesty, saying illegal immigrants would have to pay $2,000 in fines and any back taxes and clear background checks before they could get in line for a green card.

The proposal, dubbed the "roots concept, by Judiciary Committee Chairman Arlen Specter, R-Pa., seemed to have some support from Frist. He told CNN over the weekend that 40 percent of illegal immigrants have been in the country less than five years and "need to be dealt with in a different fashion."

The Senate is in its second week of debate on immigration-broder security legislation and there is pressure to complete a bill before Congress recesses on Friday for a two-week holiday.

A bill approved by the Senate Judiciary Committee _ based on a proposal by McCain and Kennedy _ would allow illegal immigrants in the United States before Jan. 7, 2004, and who have jobs, to work legally for an additional six years and eventually become citizens.

Both Frist and McCain are considered likely candidates for the 2008 Republican presidential nomination.

A separate bill filed by Frist does not deal with illegal immigrants, but boosts border enforcement and cracks down on employers who hire illegal workers. The House in December passed a bill that would make being in the country illegally a felony.

Opponents consider the Judiciary Committee bill amnesty. Sens. John Cornyn, R-Texas, and Jon Kyl, R-Ariz., would give illegal immigrants up to five years to leave the country, before they can return legally to apply for permanent residence or be guest workers.

Cornyn was not at the meeting at Frist's office, but his spokesman Don Stewart was skeptical of the suggested compromise.

"It's a matter of giving amnesty to 8 million people or giving amnesty to 12 million people. It's still amnesty to millions of people," Stewart said.

GO HERE FOR IDEAS AND SENATE CONTACT INFORMATION!!!

LET'EM KNOW WE ARE ANGRY AND WILL NOT TOLERATE GIVING REWARDS TO LAW-BREAKERS!

KEEP UP THE PRESSURE!!!

We are a nation that follows THE RULE OF LAW, not the will of screaming law-breakers who march under another nation's flag!

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:05:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Done sent them both a little backbone!!
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:08:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the article! Good to know.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:13:27 AM EDT
[#3]
great to see!  i have written both my senators, my house rep, mccain, frist, cheney and bush, and told all of them to cram amnesty up their ass (using slightly more tactful terms).  these illegals are CRIMINALS, and those who employ them are CRIMINALS, and need to be treated as such.  if i killed a bunch of people and the cops didnt catch me for a long time, i am still a murderer.  i dont care how long they have been in this country ILLEGALLY, they're still ILLEGALS and need to be dealt with
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:16:11 AM EDT
[#4]
That makes me happy.  

CO
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:44:44 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
great to see!  i have written both my senators, my house rep, mccain, frist, cheney and bush, and told all of them to cram amnesty up their ass (using slightly more tactful terms).

Excellent!

Now email them AGAIN.

And especially call and email your OWN Senators DAILY!

They need to get pounded by our side on this issue!
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:59:40 AM EDT
[#6]
just fired off another set of emails to my senators Bill Nelson (D-FL) and Mel Martinez (R-FL)

Dear Senator,

I am writing this letter to urge you to oppose any immigration reform bill that gives amnesty, either explicit or implied, to illegal immigrants.  Any bill that does not expressly require illegal immigrants to leave the country before being allowed to re-enter is amnesty, regardless of what kind of politically correct term it is hidden behind. Senator, if I were to kill someone and the police were unable to find me for a long time, I would still be a murderer, regardless of what impact I may have on the economy.  Illegal immigrants are in the same category.  They are criminals.  Those who knowingly employ illegal immigrants are aiding and abetting criminals.  It is time for this legislature to take serious steps at adressing the real problem of illegal immigrants and the greedy employers who hire them.
Senator, I once again urge you to take a hard line on illegal immigration.  Allowing these illegal immigrants to stay here is a direct slap to the face of every hard working American, like yourself, who came to this country legally and worked extremely long and extremely hard for the right to call themselves American.

Very Respectfully,
Mr. and Mrs. Tanerite

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:04:20 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
just fired off another set of emails to my senators Bill Nelson (D-FL) and Mel Martinez (R-FL)

Dear Senator,

I am writing this letter to urge you to oppose any immigration reform bill that gives amnesty, either explicit or implied, to illegal immigrants.  Any bill that does not expressly require illegal immigrants to leave the country before being allowed to re-enter is amnesty, regardless of what kind of politically correct term it is hidden behind. Senator, if I were to kill someone and the police were unable to find me for a long time, I would still be a murderer, regardless of what impact I may have on the economy.  Illegal immigrants are in the same category.  They are criminals.  Those who knowingly employ illegal immigrants are aiding and abetting criminals.  It is time for this legislature to take serious steps at adressing the real problem of illegal immigrants and the greedy employers who hire them.
Senator, I once again urge you to take a hard line on illegal immigration.  Allowing these illegal immigrants to stay here is a direct slap to the face of every hard working American, like yourself, who came to this country legally and worked extremely long and extremely hard for the right to call themselves American.

Very Respectfully,
Mr. and Mrs. Tanerite

Excellent letter
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:16:59 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dear Senator,

I am writing this letter to urge you to oppose any immigration reform bill that gives amnesty, either explicit or implied, to illegal immigrants.  Any bill that does not expressly require illegal immigrants to leave the country before being allowed to re-enter is amnesty, regardless of what kind of politically correct term it is hidden behind. Senator, if I were to kill someone and the police were unable to find me for a long time, I would still be a murderer, regardless of what impact I may have on the economy.  Illegal immigrants are in the same category.  They are criminals.  Those who knowingly employ illegal immigrants are aiding and abetting criminals.  It is time for this legislature to take serious steps at addressing the real problem of illegal immigrants and the greedy employers who hire them.

Very Respectfully,
Mr. and Mrs. Tanerite

Excellent letter

It is good, but I made some changes to it to make it clear that immigration isn't the issue, it's the ILLEGAL part that's the issue.

Dear Senator,

I am writing this letter to urge you to oppose any immigration reform bill that gives amnesty, either explicit or implied, to illegal immigrants. Any bill that does not expressly require illegal immigrants to leave the country before being allowed to re-enter is amnesty, regardless of what kind of politically correct term it is hidden behind.

I have compassion for those who long for a better life, freedom and all the promise of America.  I deeply respect someone who wants to better themselves and their family's situation.  However, this should be done legally according to the country they are entering.  Lawful immigrants provide wonderful benefits to our society whether it be culturally, scientifically, or just adding to our tax base.  Like it or not, ILLEGAL immigrants are criminals and that is what ILLEGAL means. Those who knowingly employ illegal immigrants are aiding and abetting criminals. It is time for this legislature to take serious steps at adressing the real problem of illegal immigrants and the greedy employers who hire them.

Senator, I once again urge you to take a hard line on illegal immigration. Allowing these illegal immigrants to stay here is a direct slap to the face of every hard working American, like yourself, who came to this country legally and worked extremely long and extremely hard for the right to call themselves American.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:28:55 AM EDT
[#9]
"Addressing" has two d's.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:41:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Trying to be realistic about this I think it would be better to settle the enforcement and control of the border first, and then deal with the issue of the 12 million already here, IOW consider them as separate issues.  For one side to get what they want they will be giving away too much to the other.  Strategically I think the GOP could make the case that securing the border FIRST is the most important issue and that it needs to be done immediately, if not sooner.  Then they are in a better bargaining position with the give-away artists.

The only down side I can see is if then the whole Congress gets the idea that securing the border is enough and they can prolong the decision on "amnesty" till it fades from public memory.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:43:55 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Trying to be realistic about this I think it would be better to settle the enforcement and control of the border first, and then deal with the issue of the 12 million already here, IOW consider them as separate issues.  For one side to get what they want they will be giving away too much to the other.  Strategically I think the GOP could make the case that securing the border FIRST is the most important issue and that it needs to be done immediately, if not sooner.  Then they are in a better bargaining position with the give-away artists.

The only down side I can see is if then the whole Congress gets the idea that securing the border is enough and they can prolong the decision on "amnesty" till it fades from public memory.

of course we're going to have to settle, but this is like haggling.  the harder we lean on our reps for NO concessions, the fewer concessions they eventually will agree to.  if we say "i wouldnt mind A and B," then the reps will say, "well my constituents don't mind A and B, and to please the other side, i'll give in on C"  but if we say NO to everything, then our reps are more likely to give A and B as concessions and not give aways
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:45:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Beware the "reconciliation" commitee where the House and Senate Bills are "morphed" together. That is where they can do all the crap most don't want while avoiding accountability.

We have to find out who is named to the conference commitee that does the reconcilation from the House and Senate. Those are the people who will determine what the legislation actually does.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:46:59 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
great to see!  i have written both my senators, my house rep, mccain, frist, cheney and bush, and told all of them to cram amnesty up their ass (using slightly more tactful terms).  these illegals are CRIMINALS, and those who employ them are CRIMINALS, and need to be treated as such.  if i killed a bunch of people and the cops didnt catch me for a long time, i am still a murderer.  i dont care how long they have been in this country ILLEGALLY, they're still ILLEGALS and need to be dealt with

It's comes as no suprise to me that you've posted/written to about every represtative there is to post/write to.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:48:50 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Dear Senator,

I am writing this letter to urge you to oppose any immigration reform bill that gives amnesty,

Snip

or the right to call themselves American.

Very Respectfully,
Mr. and Mrs. Tanerite

I am 'represented' by the honorable sweinstain and boxturd.  I will send them a similar letter.  I don't know what good it will do.  
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:52:22 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dear Senator,

I am writing this letter to urge you to oppose any immigration reform bill that gives amnesty,

Snip

or the right to call themselves American.

Very Respectfully,
Mr. and Mrs. Tanerite

I am 'represented' by the honorable sweinstain and boxturd.  I will send them a similar letter.  I don't know what good it will do.  

well, good luck with them.  don't forget that you can write to other reps too.  if you feel you would be better writing to santa than your senators- try writing to swing voters
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top