Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/17/2001 2:14:59 PM EDT
[b]Lovenstein Institute of Scranton, Pennsylvania[/b]

If late night TV comedy is an indicator, then there has never beenas widespread a perception that a president is not intellectually qualified for the position he holds as there is with President GW Bush.

In a report published Monday, the Lovenstein Institute of Scranton, Pennsylvania detailed its findings of a four month study of the intelligence quotient of President George W. Bush.  Since 1973, the Lovenstein Institute has published its research to the education community on each new president, which includes the famous "IQ" report among others.

According to statements in the report, there have been twelve presidents over the past 50 years, from F. D. Roosevelt to G. W. Bush who were all rated based on scholarly achievements, writings that they alone produced without aid of staff, their ability to speak with clarity, and several other psychological factors which were then scored in the Swanson/Crain system of intelligence ranking.

The study determined the following IQs of each president as accurate to within five percentage points:

147 Franklin D. Roosevelt (D)
        132 Harry Truman (D)
        122 Dwight D. Eisenhower (R)
        174 John F. Kennedy (D)
        126 Lyndon B. Johnson (D)
        155 Richard M. Nixon (R)
        121 Gerald Ford (R)
        175 James E. Carter (D)
        105 Ronald Reagan (R)
        098 George H. W. Bush (R)
        182 William J. Clinton (D)
        091 George W. Bush (R)

The six Republican presidents of the past 50 years had an average IQ of 115.5, with President Nixon having the highest IQ, at 155.

President G. W. Bush was rated the lowest of all the Republicans with an IQ of 91.  The six Democrat presidents had IQs with an average of 156, with President Clinton having the highest IQ, at 182.  President Lyndon B. Johnson was rated the lowest of all the Democrats with an IQ
of 126. No president other than Carter (D) has released his actual IQ, 176.

Among comments made concerning the specific testing of President GW Bush, his low ratings were due to his apparent difficulty to command the English language in public statements, his limited use of vocabulary (6,500 words for Bush versus an average of 11,000 words for other presidents), his lack of scholarly achievements other than a basic MBA, and an absence of any body of work which could be studied on an intellectual basis.  The complete report documents the methods and procedures used to arrive at these ratings, including depth of sentence structure and voice stress confidence analysis.

"All the Presidents prior to George W. Bush had a least one book under their belt, and most had written several white papers during their education or early careers.  Not so with President Bush," Dr. Lovenstein said.  "He has no published works or writings, so in many ways that made it more difficult to arrive at an assessment.  We had to rely more heavily on transcripts of his unscripted public speaking."
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 2:15:51 PM EDT
[#1]
The Lovenstein Institute of Scranton Pennsylvania think tank includes high-caliber historians, psychiatrists, sociologists,
scientists in human behavior, and psychologists. Among their ranks are Dr. Werner R. Lovenstein, world-renowned sociologist, and Professor Patricia F. Dilliams, a world-respected psychiatrist.

This study was commissioned on February 13, 2001 and released on July 9, 2001 to subscribing member universities and organizations within the education community.

-- Matthew B. Whittlesey
MBW Graphic Design
805-543-7247

http://www.mbwgraphics.com
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 2:34:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Interesting! The ones with the highest have also been the most assholeyist...
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 2:39:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Brit Hume debunked that one yesterday.  There is no such place as the Lovenstein Institute of Scranton Pennsylvania.  The guy who wrote the article made it up.
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 2:54:01 PM EDT
[#4]
[b]BOGUS[/b]

Did a google search on "Lovenstein Institute" and ended up with this site.

[url]http://www.presidentmoron.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 2:56:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Cyber-Myth. There isn't an institute nor a doctor by that name.
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 2:58:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Einstein had an iq of 170. I don't think anybody for a second would believe Carter or Clinton had a higher iq than Einstein.

My guess is Bush would be about a 115. I would imagine Clinton is a 145-150.
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 3:49:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I should have known that it was bogus. G. Bush Sr. = Head of CIA = 98 IQ = I don't think so. This story was being reported high and low on morning radio and primetime news like it was gospel. I have yet to hear any retractions from any major news broadcasters, except Brit Hume. The ferocity that the liberal media gobbled down and regurgitated this story is amazing. I expected some media bias and cheap shots here and there but Damn! the next election is still 3 years away.

I hope FOXnews totally exposes this fraud. The other channels sure aren't going to say a word about this it. I am sure that they are banking on this bogus report slowly propagating into an 'urban legend' truth.

And finally there is no way Clinton is more than 110, maybe a 160 IQ in book smarts but you have to subtract at least 50 points for his lack of common sense. Common sense goes hand in hand with logical/critical thinking. Slick Willie has proven time and again that he has absolutely no common sense. "Very nice to meet you! Whoops...my pants fell off.... Ummm...hey... since they're already off...could you?..."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top