Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/24/2006 12:34:01 PM EDT
Well....go ahead and post pics. I keep hearing about how poorly designed they are, how fragile they are, how finicky they are with ammo....that at least 5 posts a day state that they blow apart with use. Obviously, every other manufacturer makes a better firearm, I already learned that here...but I still have only seen maybe one or two pics ever of an actual Glock that blew apart.

So, prove to me just how bad these guns are.
I am convinced that mine must be defective, since I shoot it and shoot it and shoot it some more, but all it ever does it put bullets down range. I dont understand why mine doesnt explode like a grenade.

What am I doing wrong?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:34:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you shooting lead reloads??
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:43:21 PM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:44:06 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Well....go ahead and post pics. I keep hearing about how poorly designed they are, how fragile they are, how finicky they are with ammo....that at least 5 posts a day state that they blow apart with use. Obviously, every other manufacturer makes a better firearm, I already learned that here...but I still have only seen maybe one or two pics ever of an actual Glock that blew apart.

So, prove to me just how bad these guns are.
I am convinced that mine must be defective, since I shoot it and shoot it and shoot it some more, but all it ever does it put bullets down range. I dont understand why mine doesnt explode like a grenade.

What am I doing wrong?

Heres some info

I have a Glock 19 that I have had since 1992. It does what yours does and I aint skeered of it!!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:45:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Where I work all we use is Glocks.  With all the rounds we put through them in a year and the number of them and all the years that they have been in service we have never had one blow up. I think they are a very good gun.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:53:35 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Where I work all we use is Glocks.  With all the rounds we put through them in a year and the number of them and all the years that they have been in service we have never had one blow up. I think they are a very good gun.

We've had Glocks now for about 10 years.  Models 17, 21, 22, 23, 26, and 27.

Out of the thousands and thousands of rounds my agency has shot over the years, not a single Kaboom.

I can't explain it.  

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:00:39 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

take a sip of 1911 kool aid and then you'll know why glocks MUST be crap.

(i wouldnt know, i'm a beretta man myself)
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:03:07 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

(i wouldnt know, i'm a Hi-Point man myself)

What??
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:05:47 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What??

i have been mis quoted!!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:06:17 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What??

I bet he gotz BEAMZ on dem Hi-Points. Fo-shiizzzly-dizzle.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:07:34 PM EDT
[#10]
3 FTEs in 200 rounds with my Glock 22 this afteroon
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:18:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:28:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Never had a problem with my glock. Read the torture test thread on Glock.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:32:06 PM EDT
[#13]
double tap
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:32:39 PM EDT
[#14]
not a problem
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:34:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:36:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:01:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Well, came home to find this today.  Not sure how it happened but it appears to be catastrophic failure.  I'll be sending it back to Smyrna on Monday to see what Gaston can do with it.  It was only a matter of time....

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:35:15 PM EDT
[#18]
wow, didyou accidently pull the pin?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:39:57 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What??

i have been mis quoted!!

is there a difference?!?!

your just jealous because your not professional enouph to use a glock gernade
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:51:20 PM EDT
[#20]

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:55:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:56:22 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
img83.imageshack.us/img83/650/1911cf44jg.jpg

damn so when a glock goes, it takes other guns near it out too

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 12:01:00 AM EDT
[#23]
S.O.S.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 1:53:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Don't use reloads or crap ammo, and if there's a squib don't try and shoot it out.  Problem solved.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 2:10:34 AM EDT
[#25]
I've seen a number of "kabooms". A couple were Glocks but there were 1911's involved also. Thursday night while practicing with a regular group of guys, we had one guy KB a ParaOrdnance .40. I suspect a fatigued case, anyway it was a complete case head seperation. It blew the magazine apart and from what I saw, probably broke the barrel link, locking the gun up solid. The owner wasn't able to disassemble it and I haven't heard the final result.
A gunsmith friend puts it this way: If everyone drove a Ford, all you would hear is about all the Fords that break down.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 2:14:30 AM EDT
[#26]
So we have one picture of a barrel blowing up after a squib, and another of a gun blowing up after somebody shot A-Merc in it.

Gee, I wonder why those happened.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 2:44:31 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
So we have one picture of a barrel blowing up after a squib, and another of a gun blowing up after somebody shot A-Merc in it.

No shit...Amerc is some scary crap.  I'd rather shoot ammo I found on the ground.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 2:53:59 AM EDT
[#28]
I don't want to see this crap anymore.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 2:56:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 3:01:53 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

You sound like a typical Glock Kook-Aid drinker.  Explain this Glock-19 failure to me, or give in and trade all your Glocks for the gun designed when JMB was used as a vessel to channel the blueprints directly from God himself!

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 3:03:03 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You sound like a typical Glock Kook-Aid drinker.  Explain this Glock-19 failure to me, or give in and trade all your Glocks for the gun designed when JMB was used as a vessel to channel the blueprints directly from God himself!

i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/ED_P/G19_Cracked_Frame.jpg

ROFL!
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 3:09:40 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 3:14:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Reload in my 23.

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 3:53:33 AM EDT
[#34]
First of all, thanks to those that posted pics.
A couple of things stand out.....dont shoot reloads and dont shoot un-jacketed bullets.
The reload part seems specifically related to non standard charge consideration, and case condition (thinning case walls being more succeptible)

It also sounds like the factory Glock chambers are intentionally a bit a loose to accomodate functionality (not jam when dirty, like an AK) but the same loose spacing in the chamber leave the case unsupported during ignition. While an aftermarket barrel will quickly fix that, I would never endorse something that requires additional 'bolt on' parts just to make it safe.

The less talked about point, and one worth mentioning, is the number of Glocks in circulation.
Just how many Glocks are out there, compared with other types of handgun?

I have no info on this at all, but a guess tells me that there must be a huge number of 1911's out there as well. Given the same number of guns in circulation, one would expect a similar failure rate. Of course, Glock is the only company that makes their specific design, while there are at least 10 major manufacturer producing 1911 knock-offs.

Given the number of 1911's out there, it would be nice to see an actual statistic (not opinions) on the number of defective or malfunctioning units, vs the same regarding Glock. I doubt that info would be readily available to any of us, but it would be great to see. Im guessing consumer reports doesnt rate combat weapons

I was a very late comer to the Glock side of the fence. (first one last year after many years of contemplating getting one). I downright hated plastic for a long time. Never owned a tupperware gun until my G22...a couple thouseand rounds later I wish I hadnt waited so long.

After a phase of obsession with the Berretta 92, then the 1911, and quick affairs with countless revolvers in every major caliber......to date...NOTHING I have owned (with the Berretta being a real close second) is as reliable as my G22. It has never malfunctioned in any way...and it gets shot....a lot. One consistant thing though....it was always been fed the exact same ammo.....WWB, 100 packs, 165gr. The only exception was a couple of boxes of hyrda-shoks just to make sure my carry ammo wouldnt choke.

Until my trusty G22 proves me wrong, I cant say a negative thing about the funtionality.
I have owned more accurate guns, and with better factory triggers, but for a point and shoot combat gun, I havent shot a better one.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 4:13:36 AM EDT
[#35]
I don't really think there is anything wrong with a Glock if it fits your hand. For me they don't. I care for the trigger either. I won't buy one but I would feel safe shooting one.

I think people like messing with the Glockies because they are so touchy about it.

Its fun to mess with the Glockies. Thats all.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:02:05 AM EDT
[#36]
Tag
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:05:36 AM EDT
[#37]
Those are great photoshop pic's. Damn I almost believed that those were real guns. Silly airsofters.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:11:40 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Never seen that before.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:13:00 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Reload in my 23.

i29.photobucket.com/albums/c282/sfdave/glock2.jpg

If you noticed when you purchased your glock 23 The HUGE yellow and red sticker which clearly states: ,
"WARNING!! DO NOT USE RELOADED OR REMANUFACTURED AMMUNITION!"

I have 3 glocks and shoot the piss out of them every week. Never had a single problem....it's been almost 3 1/2 years now.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:18:59 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:34:19 AM EDT
[#41]
Note to self: never, ever reload ammo.  Just not worth the risk.  Just about every KB I've read about involves reloads.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:40:10 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Reload in my 23.

If you noticed when you purchased your glock 23 The HUGE yellow and red sticker which clearly states: ,

I have 3 glocks and shoot the piss out of them every week. Never had a single problem....it's been almost 3 1/2 years now.

With the internet crowd, it's like talking to a wall. They believe and will have you believe that all Glocks KB. This is the biigest load of BULLSHIT to ever make the rounds on the internet. As you stated, there are warnings on the packaging, however the persons purchasing said weapons have to have the ability to read in order to heed those warnings. Every weapon has the potential to KB. All the Glock haters out there need to get a life, read the warnings and STFU!

It is sad to think intelligent people can be so brainwashed by the Glock KB trash.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:08:24 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Reload in my 23.

With the internet crowd, it's like talking to a wall. They believe and will have you believe that all Glocks KB. This is the biigest load of BULLSHIT to ever make the rounds on the internet. As you stated, there are warnings on the packaging, however the persons purchasing said weapons have to have the ability to read in order to heed those warnings. Every weapon has the potential to KB. All the Glock haters out there need to get a life, read the warnings and STFU!

It is sad to think intelligent people can be so brainwashed by the Glock KB trash.

Well Jr., If it can not run reloads, it is of no use to me. I do not "Hate" them, but I will not ever own one. Reason why is shown below. Local Range, I was working up loads for one of my S&W 629's and the person next to me had a Glock something with fresh Winny White box .40's. Reason I do not know what model it was is because I was more interested in pulling a chunk ot it out of my arm.
I do not 'blame' the gun as any can KB, but, I will never own one. YMMV as always.

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:17:39 AM EDT
[#44]

"A chilling image of the suicide bomber's device is captured on film seconds before the explosion as those in the area scream in terror."

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=449038
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:37:33 AM EDT
[#45]
The dreaded GED (glock explosive device) , the terrorist have no conscious.  
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 4:21:36 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Well Jr...........

And how old are you sonny?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 4:31:47 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Are you shooting lead reloads??

We weren't shooting reloads at qualifications last night when a fellow officers G22 came apart in his hands.  Sorry but the .40S&W in a Glock is bad news waiting to happen.  I could care less what some of you will say blah blah blah I have this many tens of thousands of rounds......I'll stick with my G17 and G30 and stay the hell away from a .40S&W Glock after I had seen with my own eyes what happened.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 4:44:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:02:24 PM EDT
[#49]

Mine.

I now own three SIGs

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 12:38:17 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Reload in my 23.

Yeah, well, the other side of the internet crowd is people trashing other people whoshot reloads and new the risk-I don't blame the gun.

You pays your money and you takes your chances in life.... aaaand sometimes your gun blows up. In my case they were rounds someone else loaded (never gonna do that again...), ELEVEN YEARS after I read the damned instructions for the gun. Whoops, I forgot.

Now, as for Glocks failing I DO think Glock shares some of the blame for these reasons:

All guns have a reloaded round in them at some point in their life-maybe not the original owner, but somewhere along the way it will happen.

Glocks have an unsupported chamber in the .40 and .45cal models. Basically, there is an extra portion of the feedramp lead into the barrel that is relieve cut to allow better feeding. This is the area the blows out and causes the classic "6 o'clock blowout" that glocks are famous for, and is what happened in my gun.

Glocks have blown up with factory ammo, Winchester being the most common ammo with CorBon the runner up. There is no such thing as a +P loading in a .40S&W, they are loaded to SAMMI max pressures as standard. Even seating the bullet .010 too deep will exceed safe chamber pressures. If Glock knew about this, which I am sure they did, why would they sell a gun in this caliber knowing that the rifleing style in their weapons poses an even greater chance of an overpressure? Polygonal rifleing is cool and all, but if it means broken guns and swollen hands.....

Now, all that said, My G23 never gave me a problem up until then as I had never shot reloads. It hasn't given me a problem since. Glock replaced the frame and mag no questions asked, and I have only fired factory ammo in it since. In fact, I was sooo traumatized by the affair that I went out and bought a G30 as a carry gun.

Boom Y'all!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top