Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 3/20/2006 5:48:21 PM EDT
The game started shipping out today and some people have already managed to get copies. I just went down to EB and reserved a copy for pickup tomorrow morning (the official release date) and can hardly wait!

Anyone lucky enough to get a copy of it yet?

Some nuggets of what this game wll bring to the table:

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:50:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Mine is on its way, overnight shipping.  It shipped today.

I cant wait to test my two new 7900GTX in SLi with this game.  
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:51:29 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Oh man....dual 7900s.....good lord.

Max that baby out and post screenshots!
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:53:17 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I sold my dual 7800GTX's to a co-worker and made up the difference in order to pay for them

Oh, rest assured, I will be posting some screenshots.  A friend of mine in Iraq is building a computer nearly identical to mine when he gets back, and is begging me for screenshots, as soon as I get it.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:54:43 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I sold my dual 7800GTX to a co-worker and made up the difference in order to pay for them

Oh, rest assured, I will be posting some screenshots.  A friend of mine in Iraq is building a computer nearly identical to mine when he gets back, and is begging me for screenshots, as soon as I get it.

Do the 7900s have 256megs each or 512 each? Either way they're bitchin' cards!
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:55:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll be swinging by BB tomorrow to grab a copy. Forgot it was coming out so soon; thanks for the heads up!
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:56:03 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I sold my dual 7800GTX to a co-worker and made up the difference in order to pay for them

Mine are 512 each.

This is the exact card that both of mine are -

www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130279

I am a big eVGA fanboy.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:58:45 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mine are 512 each.

I am a big eVGA fanboy.

Sweet mother. That will chew up anything you can throw at it! Not a bad price either.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:00:50 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mine are 512 each.

I am a big eVGA fanboy.

Sweet mother. That will chew up anything you can throw at it! Not a bad price either.

I only paid $475 for each one of them, got them through work, at cost.

I have been waiting for a game to challenge them more than the current crop of games have been.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:01:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Mine shipped today for Xbox 360.  It'll be here tomorrow.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:02:11 PM EDT
[#10]
wow just please tell me they didnt do like morrowind and not give the MOBs visible HP bars....
until they patched that in it sucked lol
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:04:18 PM EDT
[#11]
i am getting one for the xbox 360 and cant wait. I have weds- sunday off this week to give my car a complete tuneup , hang out with my friends and play this game.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:04:49 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mine are 512 each.

I am a big eVGA fanboy.

I have been waiting for a game to challenge them more than the current crop of games have been.

Running HL2 at 200+FPS must get boring I bet
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:19:05 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mine are 512 each.

I am a big eVGA fanboy.

HL2?  I havent played that, or fired up STEAMingpileofdonkeyshit since I got rid of my AGP machine and the 6800 Ultra
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:30:22 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mine are 512 each.

I am a big eVGA fanboy.

HL2?  I havent played that, or fired up STEAMingpileofdonkeyshit since I got rid of my AGP machine and the 6800 Ultra

shitasticSTEAM or not, you gotta play HL2......it's a classic!

ETA: As for Oblivion, I'm running an AMD 3800+ with a Radeon x700 and a gig of RAM. I know I won't be able to max everything, but I should be able to play at a nice high resolution with everything pretty at a steady framerate (at least I hope).
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:32:16 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mine are 512 each.

I am a big eVGA fanboy.

shitasticSTEAM or not, you gotta play HL2......it's a classic!

Oh, I have played it and beat it.  I even played the first before I started the 2nd, just so I would be in the proper zone

Oblivion > Half-Life though

ETA - I love the hourglass shape of these big quotes
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:35:45 PM EDT
[#16]
I have nothing near the system specs to run this.

DAMN YOU LATE PAYCHECKS!
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:40:49 PM EDT
[#17]
More screenshots -

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:42:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:46:26 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm on the verge of brokedom otherwise I would have it.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:47:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Damn ya boys! My old GeForce 3 Ti200 can't handle this game and Im too broke to upgrade right now. Buying too much ammo I guess. Im gonna check it out over at my friends house tomorrow night, but he has an Xbox 360. Its just not the same on a console though.

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:54:41 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
More screenshots -

www.elderscrolls.com/images/art/ob_pc/obliv19B.jpg

www.elderscrolls.com/images/art/ob_pc/obliv14B.jpg

www.elderscrolls.com/images/art/ob_pc/obliv01B.jpg

www.elderscrolls.com/images/art/ob_pc/obliv10B.jpg

www.elderscrolls.com/images/art/ob_pc/obliv27B.jpg

The forests are absolutely amazing. The first thing I'm going to do is grab a bow and hunt some deer in there .

+1, but I wonder how a 6800GT/AMD3400 will run with graphics like that. I can hear my system crying just thinking about running those scenes at a decent FPS...
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:56:02 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
More screenshots -

www.elderscrolls.com/images/art/ob_pc/obliv19B.jpg

www.elderscrolls.com/images/art/ob_pc/obliv14B.jpg

www.elderscrolls.com/images/art/ob_pc/obliv01B.jpg

www.elderscrolls.com/images/art/ob_pc/obliv10B.jpg

www.elderscrolls.com/images/art/ob_pc/obliv27B.jpg

The forests are absolutely amazing. The first thing I'm going to do is grab a bow and hunt some deer in there .

+1, but I wonder how a 6800GT/AMD3400 will run with graphics like that. I can hear my system crying just thinking about running those scenes at a decent FPS...

The forest is procedurally generated, a 6800GT should be able to do quite well.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:58:39 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The forest is procedurally generated, a 6800GT should be able to do quite well.

Cool! I'm glad that tomorrow is my Friday; haven't played a good RPG since Morrowind. (Or was it Baldurs Gate? )

And isn't this how it always works? No good games come out for a long time, now I got GalCiv2, Red Orchestra, and now this, all within a few weeks. Sheesh.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:10:23 PM EDT
[#24]
I have been an Elder Scrolls fan for some time.

Loved Arena and Morrowind, but didn't play Daggerfal (I couldnt get the emulator to work). I'm very excited, although I will most certainly not be enjoying the graphic/FPS quality that Adair will with his setup. I did spend quite a bit upgrading, however.

Have fun guys, I will be installing it Friday.

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:26:31 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I have been an Elder Scrolls fan for some time.

Loved Arena and Morrowind, but didn't play Daggerfal (I couldnt get the emulator to work). I'm very excited, although I will most certainly not be enjoying the graphic/FPS quality that Adair will with his setup. I did spend quite a bit upgrading, however.

Have fun guys, I will be installing it Friday.

I can't wait to pick it up tomorrow morning at EB. problem is, my schedule sucks for playing it at any time for the rest of the day. I have these puny hour-long breaks between classes all day, which is definitely not enough time to jump in. Instead, I get teased and then have to run off to class again and again. If only I didn't care about my grades enough to skip all my classes....
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:12:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Well, I was able to get the game this morning at EB without a preorder and have been playing it in between classes. I'm in class right now so I figured I'd ignore the professor for a bit and post my initial impressions.

For reference, I have the following PC setup I'm playing on:

AMD 64-Bit 3800+ (not dual-core)
ATI X700
1GIG RAM.

For starters, WOW. No surprise here, but the game looks damn good. Textures are great, detail is awesome. My only problem is that the grass pops up noticeably. I'll be walking along and the grass will appear slowly about 15-feet in front of me. Other than this caveat, everything looks great, and have been running smooth.

You're definitely going to want to enable the "Distant Viewing" setting or else it'll look like you're in a massive fog bank. Distant Viewing is a must for the true Oblivion graphics experience.

As for gameplay, I just finished the sewers and have made it outside. Everything has been streamlined perfectly. No longer do you swing a sword or shoot a bow at point blank range and miss because the dice didn't roll your way.

Magic is much easier to use.

The inventory has been streamlined nicely. Much easier to navigate.

The newlockpicking system is pure genius. No longer do you just click the mouse and watch to see if you succeeded or failed. You take an active part in picking the locks, and it's supremely [censored].

That's my basic impressions. All I could ask for is the grass not to pop up as obviously, though that would probably kill my framerate. Other than that minor complaint, this game is freakin' amazing.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:20:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Woah. Those screen shots are killer.

I want a 360 . . .
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:37:50 AM EDT
[#28]
I just got it at compusa , for $44. for the xbox 360!

and I played a little bit for lunch fucking amazing!!!!!!!!!!

agh .. damn work oh well off for 5 days starting tonight
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:45:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Picked it up during lunch at BB. Tried to get it at CompUSA (they had it on sale for $44), but it was sold out.

BB had them packed on the shelves and I can't help but laugh at the guys who pre-ordered and aren't going to get them until later this week. They all told me I'd have to wait a month or more to get it if I didn't pre-order because it would be sold out

Now...I just need to finish up my work day so I can play.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:49:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Do you guys hear that???

Oh sorry its just my 6600 card crying.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 3:56:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Mine arrived today, but I am working out of town until thursday and wont be able to install and play it.

I am taking a few days off next week so I can get into it though.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:22:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Did anyone else who's playing it notice that the Emperor is (I shit you not) 87 years old?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:24:59 PM EDT
[#33]
I have run around the forests... the bow is my favorite thing in the game so far.

A good headshot and watching your enemy collapse on themselves is priceless.
The arrow stuck in the center of an enemies head is pretty funny.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:27:38 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I have run around the forests... the bow is my favorite thing in the game so far.

A good headshot and watching your enemy collapse on themselves is priceless.
The arrow stuck in the center of an enemies head is pretty funny.

I love taking down a hard character and seeing the body have a good dozen arrows sticking out of the chest. Always nice to be able to collect 50% of them back too .
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:27:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Awesome game. Runs beautifully on my system. Now that I got my feet wet, I have to figure out what class I am going to try to take through the game...
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:29:04 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Awesome game. Runs beautifully on my system. Now that I got my feet wet, I have to figure out what class I am going to try to take through the game...

I went with a Wood Elf born under The Thief sign. He's a deadly son of a bitch with a bow that can sneak, steal, pick locks, and use a sword in a pinch.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:39:37 PM EDT
[#37]
I played a dark-elf nightblade for a bit, but now I'm thinking I'll go the paladin-ish or mage route.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:24:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Got mine early this AM...played for 8+ hours.

Rocks.

BC
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:25:57 PM EDT
[#39]
So who feels like donating funds to the Help Delta Achieve RPG Nirvana Fund? Hmm...anybody?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:26:02 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
So who feels like donating funds to the Help Delta Achieve RPG Nirvana Fund? Hmm...anybody?

As soon as I see a torrent for a working copy, I will send you a link for it.  I have a legit copy allready myself, but I am looking out for a torrent so a friend can start "previewing" this game
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:49:55 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:28:06 AM EDT
[#42]
Finally got a chance to open my copy up and mess with it a bit last night (XB360 version). Got through the starter dungeon and out into the wide open world.

The dungeon really doesn't give you a good feel for just how fantastically beautiful this game is- once you get outside and see the grass and trees and the rippling water... just damn. Amazing stuff. So much better than Morrowind.

I'm playing a pure-melee character, like I always do (Barbarian). Have steel claymore, will travel. Archery looks fun, though, may have to try that with another character.

-Mark

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:15:47 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I went with a Wood Elf born under The Thief sign. He's a deadly son of a bitch with a bow that can sneak, steal, pick locks, and use a sword in a pinch.

Pretty similar to my character. I'm playing a wood elf, assassin, shadow sign. I haven't had a whole lot of time to play it yet, but so far I think it's a pretty amazing game.

I got out of the sewers, already completed one side quest and got a horse by completing a minor part of the main quest.

One thing that really worried me about this game was the side quests. That was the big let down for me with Morrowind. I really liked the concept of Morrowind, but I thought that the execution was a little lacking. The quests were all SOOO BORING and simplistic.

In Oblivion I've only done one side quest so far, but if it is any indication of the rest of them it will be MUCH better than Morrowind.

***POTENTIAL SPOILER ALERT***

The one I did had several twists and more complexity. It involved me sneaking and spying on someone to find out who they were talking to, then following their contact back to his house. Then I had to wait until he left his house, pick the lock and break in, find evidence, go back to the original guy, etc, etc. Radiant AI makes it more interesting too, because the guy I had to spy on was not totally predictable about where he would go and when. I had to wait until he closed up shop and left for the day,then followed him around a while and he engaged in some different conversations with different people before he finally met up with his contact (don't want to say too much more). Anyway, it was very interesting and fun.

Graphics are amazing too. I'm playing it on my XPS Gen 2 laptop and it runs pretty decent. At 1440x900 with all details max, draw distance max,  and HDR on it runs plenty smooth.

I also love the arrows. It's awsome to walk up to an enemy you just killed and see all the arrows sticking out of them. I shot one khajit bandit in the top of the head while he was sleeping at point blank range and sent his dead body flying. Then walked up to see the arrow sticking out of the top of his head right where I shot him.

I could go on and on about this game. Very, very fun IMHO.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:20:45 AM EDT
[#44]
Sigh. My experience with Oblivion has been like dating a nymphomaniac Miss Universe but I left the condoms at home.

I bought the collector's edition on Tuesday on blind faith (a day early!). I knew it would probably not work on my machine, it's got the bare minimums. It kept crashing during the install even after updating the driver and then it crashed after I hit play.

I am going to buy a new machine after I get my tax refund in a week. I have 512 megs of Rambus(it would cost more to buy new, outdated memory than buy a new machine), a GeForce 3 200 Ti(if it wasn't AGP, I would buy a new video card. I'm going to buy a PCIExpress machine), and a Pentium 4 2Ghz(the mobo can only handle a 2.2 max). I have been wanting a new machine for a while so I could play HalfLife, Battlefield 2, and Oblivion. HL2 can play on my machine, but too poorly. The BF2 demo gave me an error message,"Your computer sucks. Buy a new one and try again.Thank you."

I was given some hope since the install did go through that everything was honkey dorey, but alas. I will just spend the next week or so reading the collector's book and make a mount for my Imperial Septim coin.

Nerd out!
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:03:25 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pretty similar to my character. I'm playing a wood elf, assassin, shadow sign. I haven't had a whole lot of time to play it yet, but so far I think it's a pretty amazing game.

I got out of the sewers, already completed one side quest and got a horse by completing a minor part of the main quest.

One thing that really worried me about this game was the side quests. That was the big let down for me with Morrowind. I really liked the concept of Morrowind, but I thought that the execution was a little lacking. The quests were all SOOO BORING and simplistic.

In Oblivion I've only done one side quest so far, but if it is any indication of the rest of them it will be MUCH better than Morrowind.

***POTENTIAL SPOILER ALERT***

The one I did had several twists and more complexity. It involved me sneaking and spying on someone to find out who they were talking to, then following their contact back to his house. Then I had to wait until he left his house, pick the lock and break in, find evidence, go back to the original guy, etc, etc. Radiant AI makes it more interesting too, because the guy I had to spy on was not totally predictable about where he would go and when. I had to wait until he closed up shop and left for the day,then followed him around a while and he engaged in some different conversations with different people before he finally met up with his contact (don't want to say too much more). Anyway, it was very interesting and fun.

Graphics are amazing too. I'm playing it on my XPS Gen 2 laptop and it runs pretty decent. At 1440x900 with all details max, draw distance max,  and HDR on it runs plenty smooth.

I also love the arrows. It's awsome to walk up to an enemy you just killed and see all the arrows sticking out of them. I shot one khajit bandit in the top of the head while he was sleeping at point blank range and sent his dead body flying. Then walked up to see the arrow sticking out of the top of his head right where I shot him.

I could go on and on about this game. Very, very fun IMHO.

I gotta find me a horse. All I've been able to do is find one for sale for 5000 gold, which is waaaaaay out of my league
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 12:01:11 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I gotta find me a horse. All I've been able to do is find one for sale for 5000 gold, which is waaaaaay out of my league

Pretty easy to steal.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:27:45 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pretty easy to steal.

True, but the only shitty thing I've discovered about the game so far is no matter what you steal, where you steal it, or how sneaky you are about stealing it, every guard in all of Cyrodiil will instantly know you've stolen it, and nail you at the nearest occurance.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:35:55 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pretty easy to steal.

True, but the only shitty thing I've discovered about the game so far is no matter what you steal, where you steal it, or how sneaky you are about stealing it, every guard in all of Cyrodiil will instantly know you've stolen it, and nail you at the nearest occurance.

the wonders of the internet.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:37:39 PM EDT
[#49]
I got this installed earlier tonight.  Holy shit the graphics are beautiful.    Running it now at 1280x1024, forced 16x AF, HDR lighting, and everything on max (shadows, draw distance, everything).  Must be running at least at 60 FPS.

I even disabled one of the 7900GTX cards, and at the same settings, it was still smooth as butter.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:40:45 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
I got this installed earlier tonight.  Holy shit the graphics are beautiful.    Running it now at 1280x1024, forced 16x AF, HDR lighting, and everything on max (shadows, draw distance, everything).  Must be running at least at 60 FPS.

I even disabled one of the 7900GTX cards, and at the same settings, it was still smooth as butter.

If you check out the official Elder Scrolls/Oblivion forums, you can tweak a few INI files to increase the distance the grass is rendered and the distance the high-res terrain textures are rendered as well.

Could you post some screenshots of your amazing settings. I've heard HDR makes everything seem a bit too "glowy", but would love to see.

They certainly coded a good engine. Even my modest rig can run the game at 1024x768 with medium to high graphics settings at a smooth 30fps or so.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top