Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2001 7:27:45 PM EDT
Wednesday evening, last week I went trap shooting for the first time.
I got there too late, but was still able to shoot 1 round (25 clays) Only hit 17 out of the 25...
I did better than I expected for my first time...

I had so much fun I figured I'd try again tonight...Went 3 rounds this time...
1st round I hit 16 of 25...
2nd round I hit 19 of 25...
3rd round I hit 21 of 25...

I had a blast !!!

I kept bloodying my nose 'till I figured enough to move my thumb up the back of the receiver...[:)]
...DUH !
'Gonna do it again next Wed. night.

Any secrets of the trade, or advice to a new clay shooter ???

Currently I'm using a Remington 870 Magnum with a MOD. choke... I think the barrel is around 28".
I've got several different choke tubes to try. FULL, EXTRA FULL, TURKEY,etc...
Any suggestions ?

Thanks in advance...

...ART
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 7:37:19 PM EDT
[#1]

I have never tried it but it sounds like fun . We used to do this on the farm , throw an apple or walnut into the air and shoot it .

Now the only shot gun I have is an 18 inch barrel , I am afraid it wouldn't be long enough .
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 7:44:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 7:51:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Hell art, you are already breaking 21?  Think I am gonna hang up my trap gun . . .

Maynard's points are right on.  Modified is fine for 16 yards.  Once you are doing consistently well, try a full choke.  You'll smoke the target on a good hit. When you just break it rather than smoke it, you will get a good feel where your shot pattern's going with respect to the target by watching where the pieces go.

Seven and a half is the best overall trap shot size, ounce and an eighth.  The cheapo promotional shells from Wally world are fine.

Keep the barrel moving.  Then try handicap and doubles.

Smoke 'em all!
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 8:14:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 8:31:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Worst job I ever had was working at a trap and skeet range when I was 15-16 yrs. old, but it was the most fun I had at the time(until I discovered sporting clays). Anyhow, while I was working for the range a group of folks showed up one day to make a training video. They called it Trapshooting with Ken Robertson. I don't know where you would find a copy of this, but if you can it gives you a gun's-eye view of where and how to position your gun for each station and a lot of tips from the pro's of yesteryear(early '80s, late '70s).
My personal opinion, trap is great but skeet is so much more fun and challenging. Give it a shot.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 8:35:06 PM EDT
[#6]
When you say moleskin pad...
Do you mean a cheek rest 'kinda thing ?
I saw a couple guys with padded leather looking things on the cheek area of the stock.

It does seem as if the gun shoots a little low. I usually have to almost cover the clay to hit it.

Also, my hits are usually pretty far out, 'cause I'm a little slow chasing the clays.
This would explain why I wasn't getting HARD hits on the clays.
Most would break into only a few pieces.

The goddamn 10 year old kid next to me was busting them into dust. Just a big " POOF " and no clay. Kid was good...

I think I'm gonna try the cheekrest idea, and maybe tighten up the pattern with a full choke...

Thanks guys !!!  
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 8:43:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I shoot trap on my property now with friends neighbors,it is great fun. I reload and built a sit down trap thrower which makes it alot nicer. I also went to the Grand Nationals two times and was high junior one year. It gets into your bloood don't it. Some tips: 1st always check the wind and watch where the targets level off, no need to hold gun on top of trap house if birds are flying high. 2nd. Get yellow shooting glasses and ear plugs, the glasses will make the target stand out more. (1st position) Hold gun what looks like a foot off the left corner of the trap house when aiming down barrel. (2nd position) Hold gun between the left corner and the middle of trap house. (3rd position) Hold gun right down middle of trap house. (4th position) Hold gun between middle and right corner of trap house. (5th position) Hold gun what looks like about three feet off right corner of trap house when aiming down barrel. Remember the wind will change these directions so compensate for it. And you will in the end find your own way through practice. I hope I have given you clear tips. When I shot trap at the range you had to shoot your bird. I hear now a fast right or fast left target can be let go without counting, leading bird on corners may not be necessary if this is true.  Good luck and have fun, don't become discouraged,most trappers are a lot of fun and will be glad to help you,so don't be shy ask for help. These tips are for right hand shooters.
One more thing, keep you head down on the stock.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 8:53:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 9:08:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Whats the difference between "trap" and "skeet?"
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 9:27:52 PM EDT
[#10]
JDP they are completely different games.

Trap is shooting at targets going away straight or at angles starting at, usually, 16 yards away unless you're shooting from farther (handicap).  Five stations per round, five targets per station.

Skeet is the shooter moving around a half-circle at eight different stations, shooting targets that are going away and coming in, and sometimes both on the same turn.  More gun movement and closer ranges at skeet.  You really have to see each to get a good idea.  

They are both great fun, but can be frustrating like golf.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 9:32:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Whats the difference between "trap" and "skeet?"  
Trap is shot from 5 stations, 5 shots from each, mostly straight out in front of you, all coming from the same location(traphouse).
Skeet shooting is a little more difficult for me to explain, because it has been a long time, so bear with. I'm sure someone will make the appropriate corrections.
Skeet has 6 stations. 4 shots from each. one high frrom the left(?) one low form the right(?) and then a set of doubles highhouse and low house at the same time. The high and low house are set directly across from each other and the stations are in a half circle with the sixth station being at the midway point betwen the two houses. There are only 24 shots in a round of skeet so it is generally acceptable to take one option shot to make up for a miss.
I'm sure I left out a lot important things, but I think remembered all of the basics. Since we moved to Az. I haven't found a range to shoot trap or skeet or sporting clays. It is a long way to anywhere from here and I really have not had the time.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 10:09:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 10:15:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Went trap shooting for the first time in July, in So. Cal. Was really a blast, would like to go more often, highly recommended for a fun time.
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 5:41:19 AM EDT
[#14]
The evolution of shotgunning:

Trap -> Skeet -> Sporting Clays/5 Stand -> Fitasc.

You have a lot of fun and expense ahead of you.  [:D]
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 6:08:59 AM EDT
[#15]
The only shotgun I had when I started was my Benelli M1 Super 90 Tactical. You should have seen some of the looks I got shooting trap with a pistol grip stock, ghost rings and a 4 shot mag extension. Oh well. If you can hit it with an 18" barrel, doing it with a 30" barrel is a snap.

Get a lesson. I went to an all day clinic put on at the Pachmayr Shooting Center in SoCal, and learned a lot from two guys who made it look easy. That's where I finally learned to shoot shotgun with both eyes open. I picked up a Browning Citori Lightning and really improved my game by shooting 6 or 8 rounds a week for a while.

[Edited to say that you [b][red]suck[/b][/red] for shooting a 17 your first round. I worked at it for a long time before I was in the high teens.]

Jarhead out.
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 6:11:48 AM EDT
[#16]
It can be fun especially when there's guys with special little vests and 2000 dollar  over and unders with stupid looking engravings standing around while me and my buddy with a beat up mossberg and a beat up 870 are smokin' em. these guys couldn't hit shit!

Course we are trying to do skeet now still learning the lead on those fast-ass things and neither of us can hit anything either at that, and we really don't know the rules so we just move around and one shoots while another hits the button but still damn hard.
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 6:17:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Worst job I ever had was working at a trap and skeet range when I was 15-16 yrs. old, but it was the most fun
View Quote

Worst? My cousin is from Reno and used to work at a real "old-school" trap range, he was the bird boy and if a bird was still fluttering when it hit the ground the shooter would pay some sort of fee to the park and he would get signalled and go smash it with a rock before it flailed itself out of the ring! course he did get big-ass tips sometimes from the big-guys for smashing their wounded birds.
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 6:37:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 7:42:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Trap and Skeet are fine. Sporting Clays is even better. But none of these compare to a live bird shoot. I view those little round discs as practise for the real thing. As a kid growing up on a farm, I had access to a pile of squabs to work on my wingshooting. The back 300 had ruffed grouse, hungarians partridges, and geese. Living close to the St. Lawrence River, duck hunting was also within a short distance. I didn't really appreciate how good I had it until I grew up and moved away. If you want a challenge, try duck hunting with an emphasis on pass shooting. Those little Teal will drive you crazy.

Today, I shoot Sporting Clays a bit, mostly to sharpen up my shooting eye. I am fortunate to have a good friend who raises pheasants. He also has a  German Wirehair Pointer kennel, and graciously gave me a brown bitch named Kelli a little over 3 years ago. Kelli has already brought over 40 pheasants to hand, as well as a few Chukars. She has also retrieved a few geese for me in water and over land. She will soon be starting her 3rd hunting season. Yep, shooting clays is fun, but to me nothing compares to shooting a brace of pheasants over a beloved dog.
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 9:24:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Yup,I started a few months back. I love it! My low score was a 16, and my high was a 22. I shoot a plain Mossberg 500 using modified in a 28" tube and my reloaded trap favorite- Federal plastic hulls, Winchester primer, 12S3 wads, 1-1/8oz of #8 shot and 22grs of Green Dot. That load really smokes the clays at the 16yd line, and is as cheap as factory ammo from Wally World.
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 9:47:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm surprised they let him put the pigeons down with a rock. [;)]
View Quote

Is that not the normal way? keep in mind this was a combination whorehouse and trapshooting range.[sex] [shotgun]
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 9:49:39 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm partial to skeet shooting mostly because you form a squad and skeet shooters usually talk to each other. Most trap shooters are so serious.

Anyway yes I have shot trap. Sounds like you already have the 16 yard game figured out. When you get a chance try shooting from the 27 yard line. Its FULL CHOKE territory and you will want to use a full load of 7.5s
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 11:51:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Good first rounds!  I'm sure it won't be too long before you tire of trap.  Also, trapshooters tend to be a little close mouthed and tight assed.  Not a lot of fun when everyone's so serious.  Besides, trap only prepares you for pheasant if at all.  Not much gun movement and pretty repetitious presentations.

Skeet will open up a new world for you.  You'll have to move the gun AND your body.  More presentations and easier to remain interested.  Skeet shooters are also a little more relaxed and interested in helping a new shooter.  

5-stand and sporting clays are the tops.  Ever changing presentations (every angle imaginable), body movement, close shots, far shots, friendly folks that are REALLY interested in helping new shooters.

FITASC?  Sporting clays with an attitude.  A BAD one.  Only for those with high skill levels or low intelligence. [:)]

Whatever game remember 3 things:

-keep your head on the stock
-follow through!!
-watch the TARGET  

Hope this helps.

CB
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 12:53:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Claybuster

FITASC? Sporting clays with an attitude. A BAD one. Only for those with high skill levels or low intelligence.
View Quote

LOL!  I love FITASC, but I'm not saying where I fall in your definition.  [;D]

Bud

P.S.  Come down to Texas sometime, and bring your full choke and 7 1/2s.  I'll show you FITASC...   [:)]

Link Posted: 8/16/2001 1:02:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Claybuster

FITASC? Sporting clays with an attitude. A BAD one. Only for those with high skill levels or low intelligence.
View Quote

LOL!  I love FITASC, but I'm not saying where I fall in your definition.  [;D]
View Quote

Well, I'd imagine a little of both.  Considering the FITASC fellows I know I'd imagine with a little extra of the former.  Either that or an incredibly optimistic view on life as the continued misses tend to draw ones self-image into the dirt.

P.S.  Come down to Texas sometime, and bring your full choke and 7 1/2s.  I'll show you FITASC...   [:)]
View Quote

I've met Mr. FITASC on a few occasions.  Think I'll stick with nice, close, easy SK/IC standard sporting clays targets.  Who knows, though.  We might get together for next years Skeet championship in TX and I'll let you buy me a beer, or 10.

CB
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 3:06:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'm partial to skeet shooting mostly because you form a squad and skeet shooters usually talk to each other.[red] Most trap shooters are so serious.[/red]
View Quote

Not the guys at my club...[beer]

Most of the guys at my club get there an hour early to have a few beers.

Sometimes a guy will shoot out of turn, at his buddy's clay, just to screw with him. All in good fun.
Definately no arrogance at my club...
Everbody is there to have a few beers and bust some clays...
Everyone gets along great...

Link Posted: 8/16/2001 3:20:42 PM EDT
[#27]
I started shooting Trap 3 years ago just for fun. Wife started late last year. This year she "took" my Beretta 390. I put a "women's" stock on it and she's hitting 18 of 25. Not bad for a person who 16 months ago HATED guns.
Gerry
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 7:11:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Well guys, I'm 'kickin ass now [:)]

Tonight I shot 3 rounds again...

1st round ... 23 out of 25
2nd round ... 20 out of 25
3rd round ... 21 out of 25

Not bad for only being my 2nd "official" time trap shooting...

I tried a different choke, and it made a BIG difference...
It's a FULL choke made by Remington, and is knurled on the end for hand tightening. It says "SC5" on it...
...Seems to hit much harder than the modified choke that was in before...

...Still looking for the elusive "perfect round"...[shotgun]  
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 7:21:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 7:37:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Most of the shots I missed were just me rushing the shot...
...Pulled the trigger before I had a good bead on the clay.
...Seems I do better at the tough shots...
I had a couple that flew hard sideways, so I lead them a little, and expected to miss, but surprisingly I hit them...
The ones I missed were straight and true...I think I just shot under them...

This is definately an addicting hobby...
And, unlike Drag Racing, it doesn't matter how expensive your equipment is, anyone can "win"
There's kids there shooting $99 break-open single shot 20 gauges, and they're 'kickin ass...
In Drag Racing, usually the guys with the least amount of skill have the most $$$, and all it takes to win races is $$$...
That's why my race car sits in the garage while I'm enjoying a new hobby...
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 7:45:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 8:32:12 PM EDT
[#32]
I didn't read this thread to inept, so this may have been said. once your getting into it, go full choke. their is a lot of talk about pattern coverage and such, but in the end, I think its what ever works for you. use the full and you will be a more precise shot. you might want to change to improved mod, or even a lesser full(depending on if you use aftermarket chokes) to get a little more spread for competitions, but everyone I know that's done that has ended up just leaving it full and smoking the bird every time. I shoot a benelli M1. some say its not the gun, but my friend (who is a good shooter) used it for the first time and 25 straight. he had dome that before, but not 50 straight, which he did the next round, and then 75. he had never went past 25/25 and the first time he shot an M1 he went 75. my ass the gun doesn't matter. I have some trap pics of me and some friends winning state competitions. I will got those on soon.
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 8:36:36 PM EDT
[#33]
oh, i shoot at 2 places. a club and just a place where guys shoot trap. the club, wow, what a bunch of gun-snobs. they are like those asshole golfers that golf at the expensive exclusive country clubs. i shot in the high school divison, and when my team buttspanked all the adult sponsered teams, they got a little pissy about it. i really like the other place i shoot, just show up, they will fill you in on a card whenever you want, you can have a whole squad or just show up alone and get put on a card. its a real loose relaxing place to shoot.
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 8:40:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

...Still looking for the elusive "perfect round"...[shotgun]  
View Quote

be prepaired for some frustration there. i havent got mine yet, but once shot 24 and dropped the LAST bird. that made me ill.
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 8:53:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The ones I missed were straight and true...I think I just shot under them...
View Quote

There are no straight away targets in trap. They all bend one way or the other. Just a tip. Keep the gun moving.

I'm glad you are doing well and enjoying a great family sport. Trap is in a decline and has a net loss of shooters. We need all the shooters we can get but that is across the board for all shooting disciplines.

Have you shot any "games" yet?
View Quote

What do you mean by "games" ???
We just take 5 people, each shooting 5 times from 5 different positions...

BTW...

I took 2 "newbies" to the shoot today...
My DragRacing buddy & his 60 yr old step-dad...
My buddy used a .410 bolt gun, and his pop used a 1903 side by side 12 guage...
They both did pretty well, and said they would shoot again next Wednesday...
I think my buddy with the .410 hit 11 of 25...
and his pop with the old double barrel hit 17 of 25...

Not bad for new shooters...

I'm looking forward to doing it again next week...

.....Hope there's no ACCIDENTS !!!
(Read my other thread???)
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 7:52:50 AM EDT
[#36]
Ah, the "games."

Annie Oakley - Go to the 27 yard line and line up as many shooters as want to play.  Shooters 1, 2 and 3 load 1 round each.  Shooter 1 calls for the bird, and tries to hit it.  If he misses, shooter 2 can try.  If [i]he[/i] misses, #3 takes a shot.  Anyone who misses is out.  Keep going down the line.  We play with rules that if the shooter that hits fails to "smokeball" the clay, follow-up shots that break any pieces count as hits and remove the first shooter(s).

Scrap - Shoot trap targets from skeet stations 1, 2, 4, 6 and 7.  Each shooter shoots 5 times from each station.

Coon-Ass Doubles - 2 shooters shoot a round of skeet together.  From each station, Shooter 1 shoots at each clay, while shooter 2 shoots at any pieces left from the same station.  Similar to our local way of shooting Annie Oakley.

Follow-the-Leader - Move around the field calling your shots, which the others have to follow.  For example, stand at the 5th post at the 27 year line, and call for a simultaneous High House/Low House pair.  Hit the High House before it crosses the center stake, and the Low House when it is less than 3 feet from hitting the ground.

There are a lot more, but here are a few to get you started.

Bud

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top