Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Posted: 3/11/2006 5:43:20 AM EDT
Why is genocide wrong?  Why is removing a human population from existence wrong in all cases, if doing so would benefit you/your country?

Just a simple answer will suffice, but just to save time and effort, I am not asking the religious people here this question.  Their reasoning is obvious, and I have no desire to debate religious doctrine.

So for those without an organized religious foundation, why is genocide wrong in all cases?

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:45:46 AM EDT
[#1]
oooh...

tag for this one.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:45:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Killing people is generally wrong. Killing lots of people is generally even more so.

I guess it depends on the reason.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:47:56 AM EDT
[#3]
This won't last long.

IBTL!!!
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:48:08 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Killing people is generally wrong. Killing lots of people is generally even more so.

Why is killing people wrong?

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:48:10 AM EDT
[#5]
when was the last time we had a real genocide?
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:49:18 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
This won't last long.

IBTL!!!

I have no intention of offending anyone with this thread.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:50:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:51:59 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The only way for me to demonstrate this concept in an appropriate, apt manner is to kill you. As I am killing you, you will be able to answer your question.

What's your address?
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:52:10 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
when was the last time we had a real genocide?

We as in who? We the world? or We in the USA?

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:53:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Start with yourself
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:53:52 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The only way for me to demonstrate this concept in an appropriate, apt manner is to kill you. As I am killing you, you will be able to answer your question.

What's your address?

OK.

So, again, why is killing people wrong?
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:54:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Why is genocide wrong?

Because why should you be murdered because of something beyond your control: your racial identity?
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:55:21 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Why is genocide wrong?

Because why should you be murdered because of something beyond your control: your racial identity?

OK, but why is it wrong to kill someone because of something beyond their control; like their racial identity?
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:55:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:56:35 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you cannot answer that question by yourself, then trying to explain it to you is hopeless.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:57:12 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Why is genocide wrong?

OK, but why is it wrong to kill someone because of something beyond their control; like their racial identity?

Ever read the Ten Commandments?  They aren't the Ten Suggestions.  Or maybe you're a sociopath dont think there's anything like justice or law, and god is a hoax.  Good luck with that attitude.  Wehave special facilities for people like you.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:58:21 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I hope you didn't stay up all night thinking on this one.

I really don't think you need a bible or ARFCOM to tell me that eating your own feces is wrong and most certainly wouldn't need advice on genocide.

IBTL

Just got off a 12 hour shift.

So, again, if it is so obvious, why is genocide wrong in all cases?  Just give me the reason, and I will be convinced.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:59:04 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you cannot answer that question by yourself, then trying to explain it to you is hopeless.

Just one sentence will be fine.  Why is it wrong?
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:59:37 AM EDT
[#19]
I don't think anyone can answer your question if our definitions of wrong and right have no common basis or are misunderstood.

Can you share what has influenced, what has shaped your definition of what's wrong or right ?  

A common framework would help.  

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:00:13 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Why is genocide wrong?

Ever read the Ten Commandments?  They aren't the Ten Suggestions.  Or maybe you're a sociopath dont think there's anything like justice or law, and god is a hoax.  Good luck with that attitude.  Wehave special facilities for people like you.

I said I was not directing this question towards people with a religious foundation in my origional post.  I am well aware of their valid reasons against genocide.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:02:03 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I don't think anyone can answer your question if our definitions of wrong and right have no common basis or are misunderstood.

Can you share what has influenced, what has shaped your definition of what's wrong or right ?  

A common framework would help.  

Yes, that is important.  That is why I directed the question towards people who are not coming from a religious foundation.  I understand the religious reasons.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:02:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:03:56 AM EDT
[#23]
if you can't stipulate that killing is wrong, can you give us an example of something else that you think is wrong so we have a frame of reference?
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:04:20 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

“We hold these truths to be self evident: that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness”

OK.

Why is that statement true?
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:06:01 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
if you can't stipulate that killing is wrong, can you give us an example of something else that you think is wrong so we have a frame of reference?

I just want to know why genocide would be wrong in all cases.  

I cannot give you an example of something that is objectively wrong, no.  I have no evidence of such an act.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:10:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:12:54 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just want to know why genocide would be wrong in all cases.  

I cannot give you an example of something that is objectively wrong, no.  I have no evidence of such an act.

so what you'r saying is that this is all mental masturbation.

If nothing is objectively wrong, then genocide is not wrong.

you win. I guess
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:13:53 AM EDT
[#28]
What has influenced, what has shaped your definition of what's wrong or right ?

If you can provide that info someone may be able to give an answer you would accept.   Without that point defined, it's an endless discussion.  

If you're really looking for an answer, more info is required.  

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:14:37 AM EDT
[#29]
The question is not about me.  

Many people who are not religious make claims such as "genocide is just wrong."  I simply want to know why a non-religious person believes genocide would be wrong.  If you believe it is wrong, you must believe it for some reason.  You must have some evidence.

This came up in the thread about Slobodan Milosevic.  I said what he did in his country was his business, so long as he did not threaten other nations.  The comment was made that genocide is always wrong, even if it is purely an internal affair in a sovereign nation.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:17:13 AM EDT
[#30]
Will not feed the anymore.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:17:52 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Many people who are not religious make claims such as "genocide is just wrong."  I simply want to know why a non-religious person believes genocide would be wrong.  If you believe it is wrong, you must believe it for some reason.  You must have some evidence.

This came up in the thread about Slobodan Milosevic.  I said what he did in his country was his business, so long as he did not threaten other nations.  The comment was made that genocide is always wrong, even if it is purely an internal affair in a sovereign nation.

ok, it's unnatural.

Is there another species on the planet that kills a whole subset of its population because of a different appearance or though process?
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:19:55 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
People are responsible for their actions.

BTW, I was laughing about this thread and told my wife.  She bet me you are under 20 years old.

OK.

Are you saying people are responsible for their action, to God?  How are people responsible for their actions?

I understand that the question is a bit silly, but you are not giving me a concrete answer.  Actions and opposite reactions is a physical concept.  If I kill someone, I am not instantly killed with the same force I killed with.

If you are not religious, why is genocide wrong in all cases?

I am 29, USN 96-01.

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:21:59 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ok, it's unnatural.

Is there another species on the planet that kills a whole subset of its population because of a different appearance or though process?

There is not another species capable of such organized action.  

Are you saying that if, wolves for example, were capable of organizing and removing all competetors from a certain area, they would not do it?  They would see it is "unnatural?"
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:23:31 AM EDT
[#34]
Because it is murder and murder is wrong. If you can't understand something so simple then I have no other way to explain it.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:24:53 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ok, it's unnatural.

Are you saying that if, wolves for example, were capable of organizing and removing all competetors from a certain area, they would not do it?  They would see it is "unnatural?"

Wolves have highly complex social interactions.

I'm not aware of wolves wiping out other packs.

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:24:58 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Because it is murder and murder is wrong. If you can't understand something so simple then I have no other way to explain it.

Why is murder wrong?  If it is so simple, you should have no problem stating why it is wrong in one sentence.

I am assuming you are not religious, as I made that exception in my first post.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:27:08 AM EDT
[#37]
The classic argument between morality (doesn't have to even involve religion) and moral relativism.

You could say it is the Golden Rule, too - don't do to others what you don't wish to be done to you.

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:27:33 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ok, it's unnatural.

Wolves, and animals in general have no sense of self.  They don't realize they are wolves.  This would be the first necessity to wolves organizing to round up other animals and systematically kill them for a projected goal.

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:29:36 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why is murder wrong?  If it is so simple, you should have no problem stating why it is wrong in one sentence.

Murder is wrong because it is un-natural.  In nature, creatures do NOT indiscriminantly murder other creatures.  Sure, they kill to eat/feed, or to protect themselves.  But they do NOT naturally kill for no reason.  Those that do are sick and are normally wiped out by the pack or driven out.

How's that?
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:32:08 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
The classic argument between morality (doesn't have to even involve religion) and moral relativism.

You could say it is the Golden Rule, too - don't do to others what you don't wish to be done to you.

I would wish it that Heather Graham forced herself on me, so I should force myself on her then...?
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:32:44 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ok, it's unnatural.

Wolves, and animals in general have no sense of self.  They don't realize they are wolves.  This would be the first necessity to wolves organizing to round up other animals and systematically kill them for a projected goal.

I think I've just deflated your argument. (I could have just said pwn3d)

Enjoy the rest of your masturbation.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:34:18 AM EDT
[#42]
It appears that you are attempting to use all the classical argumentative approaches to trying to prove the unprovable.  If so, you are just going to end up going around and around and not getting anywhere.  It is like "faith" - an argument that cannot be "proven" if you are not receptive to it.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:34:39 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Murder is wrong because it is un-natural.  In nature, creatures do NOT indiscriminantly murder other creatures.  Sure, they kill to eat/feed, or to protect themselves.  But they do NOT naturally kill for no reason.  Those that do are sick and are normally wiped out by the pack or driven out.

How's that?

Well, have you ever seen a cat "play" with a mouse, and eventually kill it, even if the cat is not hungry and has no intention of eating the mouse?

And again, animals have no sense of self.  They are driven by instincts.  The impulses you offer as proof are impulses they are not capable of to begin with.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:36:08 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why is murder wrong?

...clip...

Legally:  Murder (vs. killing someone in self-defense, accidently, war, etc.) is just against the law.

Morally:  You can make a moral justification for doing anything you want as long as you can sleep with yourself at night.  

BTW - If you Momma didn't tell you ...  Murder is wrong.  'Nuff said.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:36:17 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
It appears that you are attempting to use all the classical argumentative approaches to trying to prove the unprovable.  If so, you are just going to end up going around and around and not getting anywhere.  It is like "faith" - an argument that cannot be "proven" if you are not receptive to it.

So, it is impossible to prove that genocide is wrong in all cases?
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:38:11 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Morally:  You can make a moral justification for doing anything you want as long as you can sleep with yourself at night.  

So, if I feel genocide is not morally wrong, and I sleep fine at night, then it is not morally wrong.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:38:30 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:40:32 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
IBTL…

I expect we may even see an account lock out of this thread…

ANdy

Why in the world would you think that?

Who have I threatened?  You Euros and your distrust of free thought...
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:43:04 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:45:00 AM EDT
[#50]
I really think this kind of deep, philosophical question should be tried somewhere else.

Why not ask this question at a Starbucks?

I am sure you will get lots of "intelligent" answers from the types that hang out there for hours.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top