Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2006 5:23:34 PM EDT
Today I must have received six separate emails regarding a "new name added to my PayPal account." For the record, today's new name on that account is [email protected]. I received notification from people with several "edu" email adresses, and one with an IBM email address. I know I'm not alone, but it seems like lately these are coming at a breakneck pace.

FWIW, I block sender so I can't receive any new messsages and it's deleted. I guess it's a successful strategy (or it wouldn't be so often repeated), butI do wonder how the same fake email address is used by so many senders, in what appears to be a well synchronized effort.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:24:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Another reason to not use paypal.  ever.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:24:49 PM EDT
[#2]
People still use paypal?  
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:27:57 PM EDT
[#3]
That's the funny part about it. I once registered a few years ago, but never used it, and am adamantly opposed to them as an organization, based on their business practices. Does that stop the phishing? Noooooooo.....
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:59:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I get those every week.

Funny thing about it is I don't have a PayPal account.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:04:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:18:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I just got a phishing email saying it was from PayPal.   It said that since I hadn't had any activity in my account for 180 days and I needed to login using their fancy link with some non-standard characters in it.  Of course 3 messages above that is a PayPal confirmation for a transaction for a trinket I bought the other day.

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:22:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I get hit all the time!!!
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:07:36 PM EDT
[#8]
I get hit at least once per day - I regularly report them to Paypal ([email protected]) but the phishers must be raking the cash in since they keep coming in.  The funny thing is that a month or so ago I never got any at all.  If you do business on ebay (I know, I know, but for some things it's the only source) then paypal isn't an option, especially if you're working overseas (like me).
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:49:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Sir, please get yourself over to:

thescambaiter.com

where or friend fieroloki likewise hangs out.  You will have friends there, and we are a commuity dedicated to combatting the Nigerian Lads and Romanian Vlads alike.

We can and DO fight back and we OWN the high ground *

*everychance we get

--"DumbBlonde" at thescambaiter.com

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:51:13 AM EDT
[#10]
No doubt
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:05:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Hello sirs, I haves super opportunities for yous. I Nigeria and obtain sevens million american monies to put in yous paypal account. Given me you password.

thank you,
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:06:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:08:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Should be against the law, the FBI needs to get a cyber crimes division to deal with this.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top