BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/7/2006 7:59:02 AM EDT
Just a little creepy.....

Tue Mar 7, 7:56 AM ET

LONDON (AFP) - The discovery of a Turkish family that walks on all fours could aid research into the evolution of humans.
ADVERTISEMENT
[0]

Researchers believe the five brothers and sisters, who can walk naturally only on all fours, may provide new information on how humans evolved from four-legged hominids to walk upright.

Nicholas Humphrey, evolutionary psychologist at the London School of Economics, told The Times the discovery opened "an extraordinary window on our past".

"I do not think they were designed to be quadrupeds by their genes, but their unique genetic make-up allowed them to be," he said.

"It has produced an extraordinary window on our past. It is physically possible, which noone would have guessed from the [modern] human skeleton."

The siblings, the subject of a new BBC documentary to be aired on March 17, suffer from a genetic abnormality that may prevent them from walking upright.

Instead, they use their palms like heels with their fingers sticking up from the ground.

The BBC said the documentary would contribute to fierce scientific debate and raised profound questions about what it is to be human.

Humphrey, who has contributed to the documentary, believes the style of walking may be a throwback to a form of behaviour abandoned by humans more than three million years ago.

Two sisters and one son have only ever walked on two hands and two feet, while another daughter and son occasionally walk on two feet.

All five are mentally retarded and have problems with language as a result of a form of underdevelopment of the brain known as cerebellar ataxia.

However Humphrey told the Times their behaviour may be partly the result of their parents tolerating the behaviour in childhood.

They are aged between 18 and 34 and live in southern Turkey, athough the makers of the documentary have not disclosed their exact location.

"They walk like animals and that's very disturbing at first. But we were also very moved by this family's tremendous warmth and humanity," Jemima Harrison of Passionate Productions told the Times.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:00:51 AM EDT
[#1]
ummm?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:02:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:02:24 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm a person who views evolution as a fact of life and a well documented scientific theory.   That said, I don't see how a bunch of tards running around on all fours shows anything about human evolution.

I had a dog that got around quite well on 3 legs, I don't think it shows anything about his genetic history.

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:04:30 AM EDT
[#4]
is this what happens when you let cousins f*ck?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:05:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Old news.

So 2 hours ago.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:05:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Sounds like inbreeding to me.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:06:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:08:42 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Yup...
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:10:58 AM EDT
[#9]
How to walk in Earthquake country
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:11:04 AM EDT
[#10]
So I guess people who can walk on their hands are also living proof of evolution.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:14:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:23:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Uhhh..........ya.

With the hoaxes that have popped up in various "discoveries" lately (cloning anyone??) I suggest a bit of caution.

Piltdown!

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:27:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Can they run down antelope on the Turkish plains?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:28:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Kill the mutants !

Samuel
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:30:49 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
How to walk in Earthquake country

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:36:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Do they smell each other's ass when they meet?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:38:37 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I'm a person who views evolution as a fact of life and a well documented scientific theory.   That said, I don't see how a bunch of tards running around on all fours shows anything about human evolution.

I had a dog that got around quite well on 3 legs, I don't think it shows anything about his genetic history.

If you believe in evolution, then you believe that this is where you came from.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:40:07 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup...

It's normal practice for 1st Cousins to marry in that part of the world to keep the money and land in the 'family'…

But you can only do so many times until your genetic make up is fucked.  They most likely have done it for generations.

And I like my cousines and all but there is no way in hell I'm going to fuck'em.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:44:36 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

+1

It could just be a genetic weakness or mutation in the structure of the pelvis or something.

While I'm not an expert in genetics, some kind of genetic error seems MUCH more likely than some sensationalist notion about an "glimpse into the past"
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:45:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Big F&@#ing Deal.  I can do that too.  Doesn't make me a throwback to the supposed prehistory times.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:45:43 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup...

It's normal practice for 1st Cousins to marry in that part of the world to keep the money and land in the 'family'…

But you can only do so many times until your genetic make up is fucked.  They most likely have done it for generations.

And I like my cousines and all but there is no way in hell I'm going to fuck'em.

Thats not quite correct ---

inbreeding will accentuate the good or bad in an offspring.

What I mean is if two goofs breed , you will get a goof

If two smart breed you may get a smart or super smart.

www.ucl.ac.uk/~ucbhdjm/courses/b242/InbrDrift/InbrDrift.html
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:49:01 AM EDT
[#22]
I need a chiropractor just looking at them
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:49:20 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I'm with Dino. I'm a firm believer in evolution (as any educated person should be).  the thing about evolution is that once a trait is gone, it does not come back unless evolution dictates it, and it does NOT happen from one generation to another.  it is a gradual process over time. we may have come from quadrupedial primates, BUT we have long evolved to be exclusively bipedal over several MILLIONS of years.  If these FREAK's parents walked on two legs, their offspring would NOT be genetically predisposed to walk on 4 exclusively.

i call
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:53:21 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I'm with Dino. I'm a firm believer in evolution (as any educated person should be).

Of course, when you're an Evolutionary, you have to throw in insults like that.  That's a given.

Grow up and open your mind.

I am educated, and I believe in Creation.  I guess I'm just a fool.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:54:35 AM EDT
[#25]
they have very low ceilings in turkey...
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:54:46 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Do they smell each other's ass when they meet?

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:55:14 AM EDT
[#27]

Researchers believe the five brothers and sisters, who can walk naturally only on all fours, may provide new information on how humans evolved from four-legged hominids to walk upright.

Nicholas Humphrey, evolutionary psychologist at the London School of Economics, told The Times the discovery opened "an extraordinary window on our past".

The BBC said the documentary would contribute to fierce scientific debate and raised profound questions about what it is to be human.

However Humphrey told the Times their behaviour may be partly the result of their parents tolerating the behaviour in childhood.

I call BS.

"Evolutionary psychologist"? WTH is that supposed to be? At the London School of Economics? LSE has 0 natural science programs. There's no biology department there.

Last line. IMO, somebody's either up for tenure or had to publish something. Looks like most of his work as delt with vision. Maybe one on evolution.

I think the last line has more to do with it than anything.

ETA: He includes in his keywords on the LSE website "parapsychology".
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:55:43 AM EDT
[#28]
+1 Dino

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:55:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Wild.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:01:39 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Reading is fundamental.

They would have to show that these people walk on their hands for genetic reasons as opposed to just being retarded.  I have a retarded cousin who bangs his head on the floor constantly.  Its not a genetic throwback to a distant headbanging ancestor.  He's just retarded.

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:03:20 AM EDT
[#31]
i see haliburton's genetic manipulation of certain racial groups is ahead of schedule. next milestone will have target groups climbing trees, and unable to communicate except via hoots and grunts.

did you know the delivery mechanism for this stuff is via bird droppings and bat guano?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:21:58 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think you're confusing what has been termed the "evolution" - really, genetic variance due to combinatorics of the genome - with "creation", the source of all life, etc.

Evolutionists & religious subscribers "believe" in their version of the source of human existence, but neither can prove it.  Both have faith on their views.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:28:56 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I think you're confusing what has been termed the "evolution" - really, genetic variance due to combinatorics of the genome - with "creation", the source of all life, etc.

Evolutionists & religious subscribers "believe" in their version of the source of human existence, but neither can prove it.  Both have faith on their views.

I bet  you cant get an evolutionist to admit their view is by faith.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:29:24 AM EDT
[#34]
Well, she shouldn't be walking around providing the "target" she does......(fade in the banjo music)

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:30:55 AM EDT
[#35]
I sez BS too.
Babies crawl up until they can walk, as (for humans) walking is easier than crawling. Even for people with physical damage, walking with a cane or walker is easier than crawling.

If they had been walking like this their whole lives, their hands, necks and backs would show permanent damage from it. And if they were so physically inept that they couldn't walk, they would likely have problems even putting on regular clothes.  
~
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:37:47 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I bet  you cant get an evolutionist to admit their view is by faith.

yeah, mainly because the overwhelming evidence for evolution obviates faith.

Did y'all know that echolocation has evolved several time? Fascinating
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:42:46 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

"Evolutionary psychologist"? WTH is that supposed to be? At the London School of Economics? LSE has 0 natural science programs. There's no biology department there.

I agree that this STORY is likely bullshit, one way or the other.  Not necessarily a hoax, but probably nothing beyond mutation or genetic error.

But, just because you have not heard of the field of evolutionary psychology does not mean it doesn't exist, or is not credible.  Evolutionary psychology is a relatively new field (technically a resurgence of an older field) that is actually quite rigorous and have provided some fascinating findings.

I've met several of the top researchers in the field (including Dr. Cosmides), and we recently hired an evolutionary psychologist as a visiting faculty member for a year or two.  Believe me, there is some neat and rigorous research coming out of the field.  Interesting stuff, with some application for business schools.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:50:47 AM EDT
[#38]
How the fuck do they expect to explain me, i didn't evolve.  Fuck it I'll start calling everybody monkey people.

Heck anybody can walk like that, shove a Pringles can up yer ass.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:58:20 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:06:30 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

I'm with Dino. I'm a firm believer in evolution (as any educated person should be).  

Well, I have 8 years of fulltime study post high school and a couple of degrees. I reject evolutionism.

Assuming that so many years of study should render one educated, one must necessarily infer that something has failed in my life. Perhaps my education was a farce. Or, perhaps I am personally an abject failure in that I failed to glean all that I should have from those hallowed halls of higher learning.

Nonsense.

Rather, I counter: No educated person should be so foolish as to make such an assertion as the one emphasized above.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:27:41 AM EDT
[#41]
Uggh , so now this turns into a debate about Evolution? Figgurs. I dont really know what to make of these inbred Mutants. But people can be born with Recessive Gene problems! Meaning some old Genetic information from our marsupial or Homonid (simian) reinserts itself and is considered a birth defect. For example Our Non-ape ancestors which were essentially like Gerbils or other marsupials had 6 breasts to feed a large number of Offspring. This went down to two but people can be born with six. And they are not placed "willy nilly" all over the body like some are on your head or something. They are always in a row 2x2 down the front of the chest. The thing is most of them are now non funcitional Though in some women lactating has been seen during pregnancy. It is called POLYMASTIA,("many nipples")
POLYTHELIA, FAMILIAL
here is a link to description: Regressive genes

Another Disfunction is being born with a latent Cocyx bone enlargement. As your educated people might know, at one time we all had tales. Monkey tales or gerbil tails take your pick podunk. Sometimes people are born with this recessive gene dominant. Therefore ususaly during the early years they are removed surgically. look it up.

But dont worry podunk, Evolution is still just a theory!
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:29:14 AM EDT
[#42]
"Why do you ask Two Dogs Fucking?"
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:31:22 AM EDT
[#43]
Well, I guess "doggy style" is no problem with these two...
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:44:29 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Of course, when you're an Evolutionary, you have to throw in insults like that.  That's a given.

Grow up and open your mind.

I am educated, and I believe in Creation.  I guess I'm just a fool.

In true ARFCOM style "I'll take both".
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:48:03 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
they have very low ceilings in turkey...

Darn it, you beat me to it by about 2 hours
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:53:02 AM EDT
[#46]
Have any of you ever bear walked like they are down a flight of stairs??

I have - I'm 6'3" and it's SCARY!

My bet is that these people could have learned to walk upright just fine, but have never done so, or maybe they don't have a fully developed motion sensory input (inner ear, etc) and have trouble with balance.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:56:27 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Uggh , so now this turns into a debate about Evolution? Figgurs.

They started it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:01:19 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Have any of you ever bear walked like they are down a flight of stairs??

I have - I'm 6'3" and it's SCARY!

My bet is that these people could have learned to walk upright just fine, but have never done so, or maybe they don't have a fully developed motion sensory input (inner ear, etc) and have trouble with balance.

Given that they appear to have no physical deformity whatsoever, I sincerely doubt the veracity of this story.

More than likely it is a hoax.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:14:45 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm with Dino. I'm a firm believer in evolution (as any educated person should be).  the thing about evolution is that once a trait is gone, it does not come back unless evolution dictates it, and it does NOT happen from one generation to another.  it is a gradual process over time. we may have come from quadrupedial primates, BUT we have long evolved to be exclusively bipedal over several MILLIONS of years.  If these FREAK's parents walked on two legs, their offspring would NOT be genetically predisposed to walk on 4 exclusively.

i call

Not entirely true, but I agree.

Vestigial traits and organs remain and are even functional occasionaly.  
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:15:53 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Damn good thing the Earth was populated by more then just Adam and Eve.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top