Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2006 4:30:05 PM EDT
When I was a kid I was REALLY into baseball and for some reason Kirby Pucket was my favorite player so I have a stack of his baseball cards. I haven't even watched a baseball game or really cared about baseball at all for the last 12+ years but I still have all the cards and stuff stashed away somewhere. Would now be a good time to sell them?

By the way I think his death is terrible, so don't make it sound like I'm trying to capitalize on his death.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:31:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Just watch ebay to see if any of them are jumong in price,they will never be worth more than they are right now.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:37:27 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
When I was a kid I was REALLY into baseball and for some reason Kirby Pucket was my favorite player so I have a stack of his baseball cards. I haven't even watched a baseball game or really cared about baseball at all for the last 12+ years but I still have all the cards and stuff stashed away somewhere. Would now be a good time to sell them?

By the way I think his death is terrible, so don't make it sound like I'm trying to capitalize on his death.

They are now totally worthless. Send them to me and I will send you $5 for the cards and shipping. That way it is not a total loss.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:43:14 PM EDT
[#3]
That really sucks. Kirby was my favorite player as a kid, and I still have some of his cards too. I was shocked reading this that he died. I hadn't heard about it till right now, and I am in Scottsdale.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:44:29 PM EDT
[#4]
If you like him as much as you say you do keep them.  I'm not getting rid of my Puckett cards regardless of what they are worth.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:46:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Would you make a sensible purchase with the money.................*think* ammo
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:49:48 PM EDT
[#6]
how much are they worth?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:09:35 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
how much are they worth?

I have no idea. Haven't followed baseball in 12+ years.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:19:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Kirby was a class act. Save at least one.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:19:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Sell them if the market value is up. I used to buy and sell sports cards. The market is only hot for a little bit then MOST of the time it dies off. There a thousands of other cards just like yours, unless they are numbered limited print cards.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:21:44 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
how much are they worth?

Some of his rookie cards sell for a whooping $2.50. Enough for half a pack of smokes.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:37:01 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
how much are they worth?

Some of his rookie cards sell for a whooping $2.50. Enough for half a pack of smokes.

Really i have his rookie card
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:40:30 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Kirby was a class act.

+1
I admired him even though I wasn't a Twins fan. He and Tony Gwinn were what baseball was supposed to be about.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:49:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Guess I didn't have as many as I thought I did. Just 5 cards and one poster.

Edit: yes, I take terrible pictures
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:15:44 PM EDT
[#14]
I seen some rookie cards go for well over 100 bucks tonight.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:13:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Anybody else think he always looked stoned?

I remember when the Jays beat the Twins for the pennent and ole Kirby had them funny eyes.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:31:11 PM EDT
[#16]
No way. Even if you're not trying to capitalize on his death- which you are if you put them up for sale right now, whether you think so or not - the timing is bad.

Some of us sports memorabilia collectors think it's lame to do that. I collect gameworn hockey jerseys and when I see the jersey of a guy that gets killed or injured up on eBay or something, I do not think highly of them.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:32:18 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I remember when the Jays beat the Twins for the pennent and ole Kirby had them funny eyes.

Wasn't that the glaucoma, that also forced him to retire...?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:34:15 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

By merely now considering the sale of these.... you *ARE* considering capitalizing on his death.  Sorry, that is just the way it is.

Not that I have a problem with that.... whether you make a profit on not is your business.... these cards are a commodity and death of a person has an impact on the market.

But dont try and act like it isnt.... because it is.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:42:07 PM EDT
[#19]
OK.....I'm missing something. What exactly IS wrong with capitalizing upon his death?

It's done every day, on a somewhat limited basis, in nearly every market. Someone dies and others see a way to market something indirectly related to that person when the value goes up.

I hope when I die, somebody makes a shitload of money off me, since I can't use it anymore.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:56:01 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wasn't that the glaucoma, that also forced him to retire...?

Ya, it started when Denny Martinez beaned him in the head.  He lost vision for a couple of days in that eye, then the eyeball went downhill from there.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 1:02:03 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
OK.....I'm missing something. What exactly IS wrong with capitalizing upon his death?

It's done every day, on a somewhat limited basis, in nearly every market. Someone dies and others see a way to market something indirectly related to that person when the value goes up.

I hope when I die, somebody makes a shitload of money off me, since I can't use it anymore.

To me?  Nothing at all.... I say go for it.  Just dont act like you arent....  
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 1:04:46 PM EDT
[#22]

People made money off his cards while  he was alive and will now that he is dead.

I would  get five copies of every magazine you can possibly find that has him on the cover as well as complete newspapers that run his  obit on the first page.

Package the entire set of  card + magazine /paper and sell to collectors.
I would sell some now and set some back for the future.

I have a friend that gets these Japanese tabloids.  She cuts out the pictures that arent generally available in the US  and files them.  When whoever wins an Oscar or gets arrested, eBay intrest spikes and she makes more $$ than you would think by selling pictures of "stars" cut out of a Jap magazine.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 1:06:59 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I agree, that is the way the market works.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top