BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/5/2006 11:06:30 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 11:25:59 AM EDT
[#1]
My Aunt had hers out with a laproscope  procedure. If its not  ruptured or ready to, it should be no worse then getting you balls cut off with a dull hoe.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 11:27:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Just went thru all that.  Unfortunately I waited too long and ended up with an acute case and an infection, drain tube and all. They kept me for a week.  You'll learn that even IV morphine does not take the edge off.

So far so good, I've been home 5 days now.  Moving a little quicker than yesterday.  If I had stopped putting off Dr. appointments I could have had it done laproscopically with a  three day recovery time.

BTW:  I ate Italian food (Beef ravoli)at a swanky little place with the wife yesterday for her birthday.  I haven't had any in years due to the major side effects. I was waiting for the gut bomb all the way home. Not one little twinge.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 11:28:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Had mine out 3 years ago.

It was so inflamed and infected that they had to do it the old way with the full ugly painful incision.

The modern way is a few small cuts into your stomach cavity and one thru your belly button and they use a camera,

Dont let it go too long before you have it done or you will create more problems.

The new surgery takes about an hour I believe, mine took 5 1/2 hours due to the complications frum letting it go on for so long.  The Doctor said I must have an incredible pain tollerance.

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 11:30:09 AM EDT
[#4]
My wife had it done recently. Had to do a traditional operation because old adhesions from an appendectomy(sp?) prevented a 'scope type procedure. It was easy for her & a quick recovery.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 11:31:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 11:33:19 AM EDT
[#6]
I hear Gallbladders are a tasty treat...........have it removed and sell it.

I open the bidding at 50 dollars.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 11:35:15 AM EDT
[#7]
I had mine out two years ago.

I was having horrible pains with gall stones.  

The pain was so bad that I was on the floor and I could not move.

It happened once when I was working in an armored car.......I just could not do my job. My driver tried to cover for me by doing both jobs, but when I kept sweating and was frozen in pain, he told the dispatcher, " I am driving him back to base."

I drove myself into the emergency room. l left my gun in my car. I can not remember getting there.

My doctor finally said, you need to have it taken out.

When I was on the operating table, the doctor said, count back from 20.

I made it to 20....19....18...17.... and I was out........then I remember waking up in my hospital bed.

All I remember doing was throwing up stomach bile two or three times. Other than that, I felt great.

They went in through my belly button and one other place, I have a visible scar the size of a dime.  

It was nothing for me and I am glad I did it.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 11:37:24 AM EDT
[#8]
The wife had it done, hers was almost too bad to do laproscopicly, but they managed. she was sore but recovered well.  Greasy food (fried food esp) goes right through her but no pain at all anymore.

Suck it up and get it done Nancy..  (remember you met me 4 years ago in NY after my back surgury and the GB surgury is nothing like that... )
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:24:30 PM EDT
[#9]
I had it done with a couple small cuts in the gut.  Man, thought I was dying when it just hit me out of the blue.  Jaundice set in.  Took the docs a couple of weeks to decide what was wrong with me.  I will tell you this though.  Before they did the surgery to cut it out they stuck this this thing down my throat to try and remove the blockage.  They put me out for it, but I woke up in the middle of the procedure.  I still remember them holding me down telling me to stay calm with God knows what size diameter piece of stainless stuck down my throat.  The surgery to remove it went smooth though,  they let you out the same day.  I was pretty sore, couldn't lay down and had to sleep in a chair for a couple of days.  Wow, 2 years of going through that shit??????   It wasn't a severe pain, but it was bad enough to keep me from sleeping.

eta:  Yup, the vicodin was a Godsend.  Helluva alot better than the over the counter heart burn medicine they gave me.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:26:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Get it done laparoscopically if you can.  Make sure the surgeon is experienced and is competent.  

Ask the OR employees at the hospital who they would want to operate on their families and you usually get a common answer a lot of the time.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:36:35 PM EDT
[#11]
They sucked mine out with a turkey baster

I went home the next day and repaired my furnace.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:44:56 PM EDT
[#12]
My mom had hers out.  She then found she is allergic to green Jell-0.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:52:26 PM EDT
[#13]
had it out by laparscope. Went in the morning, went home in early PM. Sat home for 2 more days and went back to work. No big deal
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:53:55 PM EDT
[#14]
I had mine out.  I can honestly say I didn't even notice the procedure or any follow up pain.  Of course, that's because I was having some other work done at the time that drowned out the noise . . .
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:07:45 PM EDT
[#15]
My wife had hers out the old fashioned way after it ruptered, she was out 8 weeks. A co-worker had his out by the easier laproscope procudure, he was out 6 days.

Hope it goes well for you..  fullclip
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:07:53 PM EDT
[#16]
My dad had his out last week (he's 66.)  He called me an hour after surgery to tell me he was OK.  He had little if any pain and is fine now.  He had a gallstone the size of a hen's egg!!
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:13:12 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
He had a gallstone the size of a hen's egg!!

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:14:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Had mine out 2 years ago.   No big deal.

In and out in 1.5 hours.  

Did it with 4 incisions, belly button, upper stomach, right side mid-stomach, and lower right stomach.

They scope it, cut it, suck it out, tie it off.

No stiches, just tape.

Had it on thursday, back to work on monday.  

Easiest surgery I ever heard of or ever had.

Hope yours goes as well.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:14:56 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Hmmm, well I have been dealing with it for about 2 years now.  Probably 20 attacks during that time, 15 of them in the last 6 months and 3 in the last 3 weeks.  The worst was on Friday.  For once the dull pain has not gone away since the attack ended.  I guess I better pull the trigger before I end up like you, if I am not already there.

Glad to hear that you are finally taking care of this.

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:57:40 PM EDT
[#20]
My mother had hers out many many years ago.  My wife had had hers taken out in the 80's.  Both seemed to do just fine without it.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:57:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Had mine out 2 years ago.  Doc wanted to do the laproscopic, but he got in there and it was too swollen.  Six hours in surgery and a 10" inch scar across my belly.  Doc saved my life.  I know
your pain.  Most painful experience ever.  Being shot was far less painful.  Anyway, $25,000.00 later I'm ok.  I'd have paid $100,000.00 at the time.  Sure hope that you can get the
laproscopic.  God be with you!    
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:59:26 PM EDT
[#22]
My father had his removed about 5 years ago, he was back to normal within 2 or 3 weeks...
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:56:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:03:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Had mine out about 2 and a half years ago.  Outpatient, there less than 3 hours, up and around an hour later. I was sore for a few days and my belly was yellow for a week from the iodine but it was well worth it.  Good pills y0!

Oh, I did have ghost pains for a year but they've subsided totally and now I'm only left with a few tiny scars.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:06:09 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
had it out by laparscope. Went in the morning, went home in early PM. Sat home for 2 more days and went back to work. No big deal

Same here 5yrs ago, sometimes food goes thru me in a hurry now(bile has nowhere to go now, except straight to the stomach)............I guess what I'm trying to say is, I get the shits!(quite often)

teamroper
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:07:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Damn man hope things go well tomorrow, get that shit taken care of!
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:08:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Had mine out almost 18 mo. ago to the day (7th). The surgery I had eas not bad at all. Had the new style surgery. 3 small incisions about an inch each. Got out of the hospital about three hours after surgery was over. Felt pretty good the next day, not ready to run any races tho'. Just take it easy for a  week and gradually do a little more according to how you feel. One big tip is not to stray far from a shitter for quite some time afterwards, When the urge hits you better be close. The better your diet the sooner this gets better. You actually will be surprised how good you feel the next day. It's like being magically cured of some bad disease. Good Luck!
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:09:30 PM EDT
[#28]
My doctor said it was no big deal.  Anybody could take out a gall bladder.  I bet Striker  would do it for a couple of 30 round mags.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:24:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Try www.curezone.com

Go to a liver flush forum.

There are 1000s of  testimonials about it being a very effective and easy way to eliminate gallstones.

Good Luck
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:54:02 PM EDT
[#30]
I had mine removed 6 years ago, and I still get severe pain just under my ribcage pretty frequently.  The pain is nearly identical to the pain experienced during a gall bladder attack, but not as severe.  I haven't been right since the operation, but I'm the type of person who doesn't go to the doctor unless I'm seriously about to die.

I'm going to the doctor this Thursday, I'll chime back in with the results.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:17:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Had mine removed about ten years ago after I was finally correctly diagnosed with the problem.

The attacks were terrible - I genuinely felt like I had been shot in the stomach with a 9MM.  I got so I lived in terror of having another attack.

I was told mine was going to be removed laproscopically (and how wonderful it was – small incisions, quick recovery, blah, blah, ...).

Turned out after they got me on the operating table they had problems, so the surgeon did it the old-fashioned way and simply cut me open (apparently with a chainsaw! ).

I was out of work a solid month, had numbness and minor pain for several years, and still can clearly feel where my tummy was cut open.

Still – no regrets.  I never want to go through that kind of pain again!

Good luck!!
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:54:59 PM EDT
[#32]
My wife had it.

In an out in a day, and not much pain. Much less than the problem it was causing. It  was fun screwing with her as the sleeping gas wore off.  

Good luck!
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:56:03 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Had mine out 3 years ago.

It was so inflamed and infected that they had to do it the old way with the full ugly painful incision.

The modern way is a few small cuts into your stomach cavity and one thru your belly button and they use a camera,

Dont let it go too long before you have it done or you will create more problems.

The new surgery takes about an hour I believe, mine took 5 1/2 hours due to the complications frum letting it go on for so long.  The Doctor said I must have an incredible pain tollerance.

+ 1 bazillion.  I was in the hospital for 5 days, off work for 5 weeks.

Don't delay while laproscopy is an option.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:41:33 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:10:36 AM EDT
[#35]
I remember that too. Sounds like you will be under the knife within 24 hours. Take it easy on the pills, I had a monkey on my back in only 2 weeks.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:12:19 AM EDT
[#36]
Good luck today! Get better!
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:25:40 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I have an ultrasound a 1445 today.

Post pics?

j/k

Hope all goes well.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:43:49 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:51:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:53:15 AM EDT
[#40]
I had mine out 4 years ago.  My attack came out of no where, no other pains ever.  I doubled over one night in pain.  I ended up not sleeping too much, but the pain went away until the next night.  I couldn't sit down, lay down, stand up.  It was the most pain I've ever felt.  I ended up driving myself to the ER.  Once there (well, several hours later, still in pain) they started doing ultrasounds and xrays.  The told me the problem and got me a room (well, lets say 4 hours later, still in pain) It took them 4 DAYS to schedule the surgery.  The infection was so bad, they couldn't release me until 2 days after the surgery.  I had the lapro, as mentioned. The surgeon said "We should have taken that out a few days ago"  Gee, ya think?  21 stones I think it was.  I still have the stones.
I really would have like to have been able to enjoy the morphine, but as mentioned previously, the shot of morphine just doesn't cut it with the acute cases and infection. It was great for about 10 minutes or so.

Anyway, don't sweat it, get it out of there ASAP, MUCH better than the alternative.

Also as mentioned, the bile that the GB used to store must go somewhere.  Some foods will have you running for the bathroom.  I have found that multi enzyme vitamin supplements help a lot.  Plus, you may not even have to worry about that.  Different people react differently.

So
+1 on the Laproscopy
+1 don't worry

ETA: Good luck.  I was up and around once I got home.  Some shoulder pain from the gas. Advil worked great for me for the residual pain.  The percocet just didn't do anything for me.  I was back to work the next week.  You'll be back faster as you probably won't have the infection that I did.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:57:30 AM EDT
[#41]
Lady at work just had it done.  Sucked it out.  Couple of small scars.  Back to work after 2 weeks.  Said ti wasn't too bad, but not a fun time, either.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:57:49 AM EDT
[#42]
When you go, ask them about a HIDA scan if no stones are showing on the ultrasound.  It measures your gall bladder's performance level.  Mine was 9% of normal.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 12:10:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 12:15:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:25:46 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Just some food for thought bud.

Your gall bladder is just that a bladder and really does nothing.  Whatever is causing your bladder problems will still be there unless you fix that too.  I wish I could say its this or that but its far more complicated since the root problem could be about anything from the obvious liver (bile ducts) to as simple as water intake.  Another source is small intestine issues which removing the bladder just makes the small intestine issue more noticible.  

I know that's not what you wanted to hear but hey, you'll be in the hospital anyway so why not look into it.

Good luck.

Tj

TJ is right.  The Gall Bladder is nothing more than a reservoir to store bile until it is needed.  It is probably filed with stones.  Once it is removed your life will change big time and you can't go back!

Go to WWW.Curezone.com.   Half of what you read is total bullshit but the other half isn't.  Hundreds or thousands of people who have said that they have done liver/gall bladder flushes can't be the liars.  They say that they have easily and successfully passed their stones.

Supposedly the stones come from the liver.  The flush passes stones from both.  They even supply hundreds of pictures of results.

YMMV
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:39:45 PM EDT
[#46]
done in 2000. laproscope. in and out same afternoon. worse thing was the no pee no go home rule. didn't realize i'd been catherized (one of those things you don't think about). that hurt more than the surgery. a little stiff for a few days but no major post-op probs. six years later my liver functions are good and except that i don't tolerate too much fatty food (thats a good thing) everything is much better.
good luck
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:10:29 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:54:28 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Ultrasound showed numerous stones.  It is also inflamed so I am hoping to still go laproscopicaly follow up with Dr in the morning then to see the surgeon.  

Go the old school way!...

Get a scar that chicks dig, take a month off of work, and if you are really cool ask for the stones in a jar!.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:58:26 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Ultrasound showed numerous stones.  It is also inflamed so I am hoping to still go laproscopicaly follow up with Dr in the morning then to see the surgeon.  

What is the timeline for surgery?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 1:00:40 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top