Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2006 1:08:01 PM EDT
If he wanted to (given his position) during the times he travels outside the White House, or would he have to abide by the laws of DC and/or other states/countries he might travel to ?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:10:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Uhhh, laws only apply to mortals - not elected or appointed caretakers.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:11:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I would if I was president, nothing more american than  to have a stainless 1911 on your hip

and btw im a glock guy, but there is nothing more american than a 1911...
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:11:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Who would search him?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:11:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll bet he carries Saddam's gold plated pistol.

Winston Churchhill used to carry two pistols and kept a Thompson in the back of his Rolls.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:12:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Why would he? He's got Chaney watching his six!
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:13:20 PM EDT
[#6]
i think when you're surrounded by SS and marines, CCW isn't really necessary.

that said, even the POTUS is technically not above the law, though he might be able to get special exemption as a "high risk" individual
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:13:58 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

LOL  
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:16:41 PM EDT
[#8]
If he kept his mouth shut who could stop him?

The Secret Service isn't going to let anyone search him, and they probably wouldn't try it either. If he did it well, who would ever know?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:19:38 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

That's reason enough for me.  You never know when you may have to return fire on Cheney.  

CO
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:20:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:20:28 PM EDT
[#11]
he's from TX... he's prolly already got a 1911 on each hip anyway
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:21:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Couldn't he justify it based upon his status as Commander in Chief?  He can just "assign" himself a weapon and then grant himself the right to carry it.

Plus, the SS will never let anyone arrest him anyway.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:21:56 PM EDT
[#13]
I think the real answer is that the Secret Service wouldn't let him. His job is not to draw down, but to get away if something happens.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:22:26 PM EDT
[#14]
iirc he had his CWP when he was Gov.   And yes, he could carry gold plated AKs if he wanted to.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:22:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:27:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:30:10 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

that said, even the POTUS is technically not above the law, though he might be able to get special exemption as a "high risk" individual

bullshit.
POTUS, whomever he may be, is for all intents and purposes above the law.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:30:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Perhaps the question should be asked, is he proficient in the use of small arms (read, handguns)?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:31:28 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

bullshit.

I qualified it.  in practice he sure seems to be above the law, but according to the laws of the land, he is still completely subject to any law that we the commoners are
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:35:38 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

bullshit.

I qualified it.  in practice he sure seems to be above the law, but according to the laws of the land, he is still completely subject to any law that we the commoners are

I know, I know.
Just pisses me off that the President could carry in DC and I couldn't.
Let's say VP Cheny found a Thompson in his attic - I am pretty sure he would quietly be allowed to register it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:37:38 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Who is Chaney?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:39:11 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I think the real answer is that the Secret Service wouldn't let him. His job is not to draw down, but to get away if something happens.

Agree. Was thinking in this direction as well, but wanted to pose the question anyway. Some interesting responses.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:39:25 PM EDT
[#23]
President Teddy Roosevelt was once in a recieving line at the White House when his Colt pistol (.32 Auto) slipped out of his cumberbun of his tux and slipped to the ground.

He just bent down, picked it up, and slipped it into his waistband again, and resumed shaking hands with visitors.

Those were the days.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:42:03 PM EDT
[#24]
He is the most powerful man in the world,  he just needs a sat phone to order nukes from space, or to order a spaceshuttle to do a low pass and let the door gunners take care of it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:42:19 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm sure he could convince the Secret Service to "hire" him in some unpaid position.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:44:07 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
<snip>

Those were the days.

Yes, they were. I am somewhat doubtful, those times shall be upon us soon.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:45:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Teddy Roosevelt also Boxed and had a Brown Belt in Judo.

He was a bad assed US President.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:48:10 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
President Teddy Roosevelt was once in a recieving line at the White House when his Colt pistol (.32 Auto) slipped out of his cumberbun of his tux and slipped to the ground.

He just bent down, picked it up, and slipped it into his waistband again, and resumed shaking hands with visitors.

Those were the days.

Damn OP, I didn't think you were that old.

Man to have been there with T.R. must have been cool.

j/k
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:49:12 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Those were the days.

j/k

Ha Ha... Now that was a great burn!!
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:51:52 PM EDT
[#30]
I've also wonderd about this in the past. Saw a History Channel prog on Churchill the other day. Apparently he loved nothing more than to shoot his Colt .45 in ship galleries when on voyage..he was a great shot and it saved his life once...if only modern politicians were as pragmatic as the good old guys back in those days...
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:55:25 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Thats funny.

But who us Chaney?

Thats BS, Clinton and Hillary proved that they are/ were.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:57:00 PM EDT
[#32]
I would think as the head of the executive branch,and technicaly the the highest ranking LEO in the country he could,also as CIC of the armed forces I bet he could if he wanted to.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:08:30 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Those were the days.

j/k

Yep.  I was there.

AILapua was my babysitter.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:12:29 PM EDT
[#34]

Who is Chaney?

The "Presidents Hundred" twin brother of our Vice President, Dick Cheney.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:17:35 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Those were the days.

j/k

Yep.  I was there.

AILapua was my babysitter.

Old_Painless, that was a perfect burn!! Dang, I set myself it up (unintentionally) and you scored the goal!

Well done, Young Fella, well done!
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:18:47 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Better question would be, will he have problems getting a form 4 signed. Now remember, he is a DC resident. Not TX. And if he could, what MG would he get.

Not true.
Bush I, throughout his term amntained a Texas residence for tax purposes and patriotism. JFK's driver license was issued by Massachussets.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:24:56 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Those were the days.

The wardrobe in Norwegian churches are still called "weapons room" from the time when most males came armed to church and stacked their weapons in the wardrobe. Christian the 4. law of 1604 said that every farmer were obligated to own atleast one rifle. They should have put that in the constitution of 1814.

Those were the days.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:29:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:30:02 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

bullshit.

I know, I know.
Just pisses me off that the President could carry in DC and I couldn't.
Let's say VP Cheny found a Thompson in his attic - I am pretty sure he would quietly be allowed to register it.

You can carry in DC, if you are willing to take the risk, and take the punishment, if caugh
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:02:04 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:
<snip>

Those were the days.

Yes, they were. I am somewhat doubtful, those times shall be upon us soon.

Yup.. have to wait for something such as "Dark Ages: Redux".
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:24:30 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
He could carry an RPG if he so desired.

82nd our troops would not like the president having a weapon thats used on them daily.

would be cool if he had an m4 carbine full auto though.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:35:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Hey, fellers....the POTUS is the Commander and Chief of the Armed Forces of the United States. He could put a posiedon missle in a back-pack and carry it around. Hell yes he can pack...he can pack anything his little ol heart desires!

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:17:48 PM EDT
[#43]
The "football" briefcase isn't the codes, it is a nuke.

I read the the USSS gave the Clintons a little free range time with the USSS arsenal and they had a lot of fun.

For the President, with lifetime SS protection, full auto and far more is always close at hand.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:29:45 PM EDT
[#44]
He dosen't need to.
Don't all former presidents get SS coverage?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:07:30 PM EDT
[#45]
More to the point, who would even think to arrest him?

ETA:  If I was POTUS, I would, just because I could.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:08:48 PM EDT
[#46]
if a senator can get away with murder, I think the president can get away with concealed carry
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:15:49 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
He dosen't need to.
Don't all former presidents get SS coverage?

No. The last President to have USSS coverage for life was Bush--for the 2000-2004 term. If Kerry had been elected, and the rest of US Presidents yet to be elected, will have ten years of USSS coverage. This per the MSM, so take it with a grain of salt.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:18:27 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
I've also wonderd about this in the past. Saw a History Channel prog on Churchill the other day. Apparently he loved nothing more than to shoot his Colt .45 in ship galleries when on voyage..he was a great shot and it saved his life once...if only modern politicians were as pragmatic as the good old guys back in those days...

I may be incorrect but i saw a factoid onetime  that Curchill was the first or of the very first few to kill a person in combat with a semi suto pistol as a young LT with a broomhandle

found a little info it was apprently at the   Battle of Omdurman (September 2, 1898)
huh  go figure against the ROP
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:19:39 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I would if I was president, nothing more american than  to have a stainless 1911 on your hip

and btw im a glock guy, but there is nothing more american than a 1911...

Good call...Kimber TLE II Stainless .45.

HH
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top