Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 3/1/2006 2:35:51 PM EDT
I was just getting out of the shower and my brother called and told me to turn on the news. After that, it was about two weeks straight of watching everything I could about that day.

I'm sure as with all, it is one of those moments that you will never forget.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:38:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Parked my tractor-trailer in Newcastle, WY. Didn't wake up til noon.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:38:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I was walking out of my Economics class at LSU when my wife (then girlfriend) called me.  I went home immediately.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:39:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Cutting Pinto beans.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:39:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:39:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Sitting here at my desk....We got sent home around noon....I spent the rest of the day watching the news.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:41:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I was in a mechanical room in a high rise in the city when my boss called and said the US had been attacked... I walked out and into a lawyers office to watch the TV everyone glued to just in time to see the second plane hit.

I called my mother and told her I loved her not knowing wtf was going to happen. I called my girlfriend at the time and told her to pack up her shit at work and I would pick her up in 20min. I did and went home for the day. I walked around the city in a daze that night. I still can't believe that day.

RIP - FDNY NYPD NYPA
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:41:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Sitting in Advanced World Cultures listening to a fat, balding bitch of a substitute teacher try to throw her weight around.  Someone came up and told her to put the news on, and they were showing the damage to the first tower.  Everyone thought it was an accident then the other plane hit and I think we all realized it wasn't.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:42:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Sitting at my work desk. I was the only one in the area with a TV. Very sad day. I was expecting some business associates from Yonkers that day. Their plane never left the ground. Saw the second plane hit live.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:42:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I was sitting on a Caterpillar loader in a gravel pit in upstate NY loading dumptrucks when one of the drivers told me what was happening......
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:42:47 PM EDT
[#10]
I was on vacation surfing arfcom.  Was minutes from heading out to go fishing when I clicked refresh one last time and saw the thread "Plane flies into WTC"  I don't think I have ever been so pissed off in my life.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:42:48 PM EDT
[#11]
My girlfriend called me and woke me up and said that a plane had hit the World Trade Center.

She wanted me to turn it on and update her office(she knew I would still be at home)

I turned on the TV to the Today Show (I'm pretty sure) About two minutes later the second plane hit.

I get sick thinking about that now.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:42:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Sitting on the couch in my apartment, eating a bowl of cereal, about to leave for accounting class when they broke in with the first plane hitting the tower. My heart went into my throat when I watched the second plane's impact live.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:42:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Come home from Organic Chemistry to find my roommates glued to the TV.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:43:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Rochester, NY.  On a Jobsite.

My day CPL busted in and was ashe white.  "Somone just ran a plane into the trade Center!"

I was like...."Mmmkay.....GTFO of my MEETING!"

(I was witht the client and the Cheif of PD in Rochester)
I got out of the meeting,and, I was like......WTF......

I took one look at the screen and said.."Well, I suppose that's it.  We're going to war.".

I went into my office until the second tower went down.  I stood up, watched it, and, said..."Those poor firemen....They just lost hundreds of guys.

Everyone's head just snapped around at me.  I'm not sure why....Only, that I had been a EMS guy, and, I knew where they would be.

I remember feeling so sad, but, realizing that we all had jobs to do, and, we had to ruck up....drive on.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:43:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Sitting at my desk at the office.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:43:21 PM EDT
[#16]
At work.

Forks of Buffalo, Va.

Danny
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:44:24 PM EDT
[#17]
got woken up after a 12 hour mid shift. buddy rings, says we're at delta, and to turn on the TV.

Life on base was never the same.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:44:33 PM EDT
[#18]
at gunnery in germany
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:44:39 PM EDT
[#19]
I was asleep.

I was watching 'ghosts of the abyss' and found out that James Cameon was at the Titanic wreck on 11th of Sep.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:45:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Sitting in a conference room at work on the phone with a buddy when he said, "Have you heard what happened in New York?"....
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:45:29 PM EDT
[#21]
I was at home and I was fucking pissed
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:47:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Not calling dupe, but there was a  thread about this some time ago.
In it there was a link to a DU thread with the same theme.
It was amazing to compare the two.
ARFCOM was well, ARFCOM and DU was full of feeling sick, panicking, leaving the country and such.

I was in a different time zone and getting ready to sleep.
There was a newsflash on TV announcing that a plane had crashed into one of the WTC buildings and I though that it was a small Cessna or something had an accident.
When they announced that another plane crashed, I knew that the world as we know it would change
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:47:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Watched it live of ITV, cornflakes dribbling from my mouth..... Couldn't take it in!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:48:07 PM EDT
[#24]
I was in bed, home from school with a stomach ailment...
My dad came in immediately after the first strike, and woke me up saying "They're attackin the World Trade Center!!!"
I then watched it for 3 or 4 days straight...
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:49:29 PM EDT
[#25]
At home watching TV fresh out of college a few months and waiting for my security clearance to be completed.....I was pissed!!!!! I thought the whole damn country was under attack
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:49:53 PM EDT
[#26]
sitting in my computer science II class.

someone asked about it, and the professor said "yeah, some planes just hit some buildings in new york" and we went on with class.

(my dad was supposed to be at the pentagon the following week).
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:49:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Finishing up pre-deployment flight physical in Norfolk when I heard the news of the first plane on Imus.  Plane 2 hit as I arrived at the squadron.  Busy deployment followed shortly thereafter.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:51:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:53:29 PM EDT
[#29]
I was at home, standing at the counter at the kitchen drinking a cup of coffee and was about to leave to go to work.  I had the CNN on the tv and the first plane had just crashed into the tower.  I was watching the first building burn and then noticed something on the side of the tv screen and thought is was a bird then it just crashed into the second tower.  When the first tower was burning I thought it was a accident but when the second plane crashed I knew it was no accident.  

As I was about to leave the house I decided to go open my safe and take out 2 spare loaded 10 round mags for my 1911 (I normally carry 8 + 1 in the gun plus a spare 8 round mag) and put them in my bag.  I don't know what extra 20 rounds of 45ACP round would have done but it made me feel better.

Just as I got into the office the tv was on so I stood there watching and within few seconds the first tower came down.  I could not believe it.  The second tower came down while I was on my desk talking to my wife.

That was hell of a day.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:54:46 PM EDT
[#30]
At the College Chapel for sermons and lectures.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:54:59 PM EDT
[#31]
I woke up just in time to turn on the tv and watch the second plane hit, spent the rest of the day watching the news.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:55:23 PM EDT
[#32]
I remember having to be the dickhead and tell people we had a job to do and we were going to do it.  I actually had one of my guys come later and tell me..."I was sick with grief, and, I was non funtional until you yelled at me!"   I don't recall yelling at that guy.  It's funny.....

Better yet........I was out on the picket line with 12 (or so) guys from the union that hated me...

The frist aircraft came into rochester airport (overhead) and, we all clapped and cheered......

It was nice that we were all Americans for just a second.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:56:18 PM EDT
[#33]
I was in the Police Academy yawning my way through Domestic Violence Week.  We went for a 10 minute break that turned into a 20 minute break.  The instructor came in and told us what had happened.  Then they put us on another break and then told us to all go home.

-K
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:56:40 PM EDT
[#34]
I took the kids to school and had a quick bite with the wife before dropping her off at work. I went home and was surfing the net and read the first posts about the first plane. Tuned into TV and watched the second plane. Watched TV and surfed gun boards reading threads on the topic til my Guard unit called up telling me to get there ASAP. Spent the next few days at the armory shuttling vehicles back from railhead at Drum because we  had just gotten back from a JRTC rotation about 10 days prior and everything was still being railed back to NYS.

They peeled a lot of assets off and sent them to NYC during that time. After several days they told the rest of us to stand down and go home and wait for more orders. The Guard hasn't been the same since; we've had guys in the unit either on Title 10 or SAD missions almost continuously since that day. Lots of people out in society have put 9-11 behind them. I was just reflecting on that the other day and thinking about the differences in the anniversary observances since the first anniversary in 2002 and in subsequent years.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:57:34 PM EDT
[#35]
My partner and I were working (FDNY Paramedics) on what was a quiet morning in Astoria, Queens. We were having coffee on 33 st/Bway and people watching when all hell broke loose over both the NYPD and FDNY radios. We were immediately redeployed to the Towers and arrived just prior to the second plane striking the South tower. Sadly, only one of us walked away from the collapses (Rest in peace, Carlos). I went home for the first time thirteen days later.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:58:10 PM EDT
[#36]
I was watching FoxNews as it happened. Surreal.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:58:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Wow, has almost 5 years gone by since this?  Incredible how fast time goes.

vmax84
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:59:30 PM EDT
[#38]
I heard the talking heads going on about the first tower before I left home for the hour commute into Chitown. There were a lot more people leaving the city at 9am than going in, which should have clued me in. When I got to work they were reporting the truth about both towers. Mancow mentioned nothing about it in his broadcast on the radio.

Next day I saw the images on TV. I was a new dad and had a days-old daughter and worked in IT. My thought was oh fuck, this is the implosion. It was. They ruined so much in so little time.

I still hate them. I will always hate them. All of them. "Them" is anyone who supports, admires, or provides aid or facility to Islamo-fascists, directly or indirectly.

ETA: the images of the planes hitting the towers were not on broadcast news until 9/12. That's verifiable, go google it for yourselves. None of you saw the images of the planes hitting the towers on 9/11. Might think you did, so did I.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:01:28 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I remember having to be the dickhead and tell people we had a job to do and we were going to do it.  I actually had one of my guys come later and tell me..."I was sick with grief, and, I was non funtional until you yelled at me!"   I don't recall yelling at that guy.  It's funny.....

Better yet........I was out on the picket line with 12 (or so) guys from the union that hated me...

The frist aircraft came into rochester airport (overhead) and, we all clapped and cheered......

It was nice that we were all Americans for just a second.

Funny, I remember calling my boss and asking him to send the rest of the company (8-10 of us) home for the day. I knew everyone had loved ones and was worried and nobody was doing any work as we were all glued to TV's. He agreed and we took off.

On a side note, the one thing that stands out in my head was driving down a 4 lane highway not 20min after watching the second plane hit and no one and I mean no one was driving, it was empty at 10am in the morning. It was spooky.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:02:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Just got home from work and was on the computer when the wife says "Come look at this!"
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:03:00 PM EDT
[#41]
I was on my way to the dentist office in Savannah.  A friend called me and told me that a plane had flown into the WTC.  We both commented on the dumbass pilot, or so we thought.  A few minutes later he called me back to tell me about the second hit.  Right then, we knew the shit had hit the fan.

When I got to the dentist's office, they had the TV on and everyone was in shock.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:03:24 PM EDT
[#42]
In the waiting room at the docs office. We thought my wife had ovarian cancer but thank god she did not.

During the Oklahoma City bombing I was bring my wife back from having several teeth removed.  
When McVeigh was sentenced I was in the Dentist.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:03:57 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
My partner and I were working (FDNY Paramedics) on what was a quiet morning in Astoria, Queens. We were having coffee on 33 st/Bway and people watching when all hell broke loose over both the NYPD and FDNY radios. We were immediately redeployed to the Towers and arrived just prior to the second plane striking the South tower. Sadly, only one of us walked away from the collapses (Rest in peace, Carlos). I went home for the first time thirteen days later.

Wow....

I got chills reading that, thanks you and RIP Carlos
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:04:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Business Organizations class in law school.  Went home b/c my next class wasn't until the afternoon and the doorman asked me: "Have you heard about the plane that flew into the WTC in NY?".  I was like: "WTF?" and for about a minute I thought he was joking.

I spent the rest of the day listening to the radio and trying to d/l video from CNN (which was down) because I didn't have a TV in my apartment (self-discipline during law school).

On 9/12/01, I went out and got a TV.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:05:23 PM EDT
[#45]
teaching 7th graders.  watched a lot of TV that day before the principal came on the intercom and told everyone to "proceed with the day as normal."

easier said than done.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:05:32 PM EDT
[#46]
On the golf course with two of my friends, saw the footage when we came  back into the club house after the first nine holes. We stayed there and didn't finish the back nine.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:05:38 PM EDT
[#47]
In the gym at NAS Lemoore, Ca.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:05:44 PM EDT
[#48]
How many questions are you gonna ask? You got over 200 posts in a month. Whats up?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:06:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Sleeping.  My dad came into my room around 6:00am to wake me up and tell me.  We just watched the news all day at school.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:06:33 PM EDT
[#50]
Ultimately....watching it happen
I lived and worked within view of the skyline at that point in my life.
Walked outside, saw the smoke on the horizon....by night time you could smell that electrical fire smell in the air. I went up into Manhattan as soon as civilians were allowed to. Wasnt much to do at that point but watch and think. Most horrible few weeks of my life...followed by the most determined years of my life...which continue every day I wake up, and I assume always will.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top