Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/28/2006 3:50:20 AM EDT
Students at Washington State University have created a completely new full-featured version of the basic Windows Paint program called Paint.NET. As you may be able to guess from its .NET ending, Paint.NET needs the .NET Framework 2.0 to run. It's worth it though, since not only is Paint.NET completely free, it is optimized for 64-bit and dual core processors to boot.

from tweakguides.com
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:56:26 AM EDT
[#1]
tag
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:01:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Students, eh? I wonder if they have anything else hidden in there, being the usual mischievous bunch they are. They aren't the ones who dissed Pappy, are they?

Actually, it looks like it might be pretty good. I'm too scared to try it, though. I don't want to have to download the service pack for my 98SE. It's GTG as it is. I'll guess I'll have to stick with my Photoshop 7.0.

Has anyone else tried the Paint.net?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:04:47 AM EDT
[#3]
I use paint.net all the time.  It's GREAT software.  The full source code is downloadable too so you can check it out for "hidden features" and build it yourself.

- CD
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:15:00 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Students, eh? I wonder if they have anything else hidden in there, being the usual mischievous bunch they are. They aren't the ones who dissed Pappy, are they?

Actually, it looks like it might be pretty good. I'm too scared to try it, though. I don't want to have to download the service pack for my 98SE. It's GTG as it is. I'll guess I'll have to stick with my Photoshop 7.0.

Has anyone else tried the Paint.net?

If your looking to make a name for yourself in the IT world the best thing to do is be onboard a project like this.
If your looking to destroy your career, have your name slandered across the globe and face potential jail time, you get onboard a project like this and put in some hidden items.

I seriously doubt theres anything malicious in there.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:24:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Paint.NET is one of a handful of good looking and functional .NET WinForms applications. The Paint.NET project was sponsored by Microsoft in an effort to promote .NET for the desktop. Up until lately, professional developers avoided WinForms like the plague. But it is slowly catching on, if for no other reason than there are fewer options for the desktop today than there ever were. And no one better mention Swing.

As far as WinForms apps go, it’s pretty snappy. But without looking at the code, I’m guessing there’s a lot of C++/WIN32 and COM Interop going on behind the scenes. In other words, it’s not a pure .NET application.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:44:46 AM EDT
[#6]
....cruising over to Slashdot to see what rabidly anti-Microsoft, anti-DotNet Framework, moronic posts there are about this...
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:46:22 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
....cruising over to Slashdot to see what rabidly anti-Microsoft, anti-DotNet Framework, moronic posts there are about this...

Ohhh, do share.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:50:40 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ohhh, do share.

Well, THIS is the worst one I've seen.  100% of the posts on this issue are ignorant as hell.  Half those guys think Microsoft's "Back Office" apps are still SQL Server 6.5, Exchange 4.5 and Proxy Server.  Only one guy mentioned SharePoint, but only to bitch about how his company was misusing it.  Predictably, rather than help his company he and his other code rats decided to use thier own PHP solution or something, hoping that the SharePoint solution would crash and burn.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:14:39 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Well, THIS is the worst one I've seen.  100% of the posts on this issue are ignorant as hell.

I'm glad I got away from the software world.  I'd probably have choked some whining Linux faggot to death by now.  They make Glock fanboys look like reasoned, experienced, open-minded intellectuals.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:22:28 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I use paint.net all the time.  It's GREAT software.  The full source code is downloadable too so you can check it out for "hidden features" and build it yourself.

- CD

Enlighten us!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:02:35 AM EDT
[#11]
It ain’t Photoshop… but then it don’t cost $500. Paint.net will do 95%+ of what most people need.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:12:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Tag
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:58:00 PM EDT
[#13]
So far this program has been great.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top