Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/19/2006 10:19:36 PM EDT
Thinking of getting a new bed. but im afraid that i will get somthing that feels nice to lay on at the store but after a few nights at home on it my back will be killing me. thats why i was thinking of the sleep number bed that can adjust to my comfort. anyone have one and do you like it?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:32:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one that's pre "Sleep Number".  It just has inflate/deflate for both sides....

I can "UPGRADE" the bed if I want to, but.....why?

I LOVE the bed.  Set it as firm, or as soft as you want, can do the same for the other side too.  Plus, there are no springs to wear out.......

I think they are doing a 30 day in home sleep deal, if you don't like it, you send it back.

Good Luck!
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 3:47:16 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a $30 air mattress from CostCo.  Most comfortable thing I've ever slept on.  The only problem is that it has a slow leak somewhere now.  Still, IIRC, those "sleep number" mattresses are around a grand.  You could buy enough air mattresses to last a lifetime with that money.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:22:47 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Still, IIRC, those "sleep number" mattresses are around a grand.  You could buy enough air mattresses to last a lifetime with that money.

You sir, are high.  Sleep Number beds sell in the $2500 - $4500 range - depending on the model and accessories.

We won't even consider them for that kind of coin...  
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:49:54 AM EDT
[#4]
We're considering one as well.

I've been doing research polling my friends and researching the web. People either seem to think that they are the best investment they ever made, or that they are way over priced.

My key interest is that over a very short time any conventional box spring type mattress will start to collapse due to my size.

With this thing however I should be able to just pump it up a notch.

Ed
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:54:36 AM EDT
[#5]
We have one.
Advantages:
1) Different hardness for the spouse. I like it softer than the wife. What other bed does that?
2) Some days you need more support, we change our settings a few times a year. What other bed does that?

Disadvantages:
1) Cost, luckily we bought ours barely used for $400.
2) Not good for sitting on.

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:57:00 AM EDT
[#6]
One of my best friends has had one for 8 years and LOVES IT.
My brother recently bought one. He herniated 2 discs in his spine back in 1983 and had surgery on his back in early 1984. He's in constant pain and he's, er, "oversized."
That said, he went out and bought one of these beds and claims to be in less pain than he has been in over 20 years.
Are they worth the expense? I personally don't know. But the two people I do know with them love them.

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:07:37 AM EDT
[#7]
What's a sleep humper bed?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:08:40 AM EDT
[#8]
My sleep number is 87
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:09:03 AM EDT
[#9]
I stayed at a Radison, and they have rooms with the Sleep Number Bed for $10 more.  So, I tried it.  I ran it up and down, rolled around.  The bed is nothing special.  My pillow top is much more comfortable and the newer 3-4" thick pillow tops are even nicer.  Save your money, buy a normal matress and spend the rest on ammo.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:16:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Yes.  Good stuff
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:44:03 AM EDT
[#11]
I read alot about them when considering our next bed. Found a website with alot of complaints.

Talked to 2 people who owned them who both said the same thing, which is if you have it firm it's ok, but soft at all and you have to lie perfectly in the middle, or you tend to dip and move towards the divider, and if you're a big person this effect is exaggerated.

Seems like a ton of hype.

I got a $1,200 foam/insert bed from a local factory with a no BS 20 year guarantee.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:46:30 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
My sleep number is 87

Mine is 69!
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:30:49 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Still, IIRC, those "sleep number" mattresses are around a grand.  You could buy enough air mattresses to last a lifetime with that money.

You sir, are high.  Sleep Number beds sell in the $2500 - $4500 range - depending on the model and accessories.

Holy crap, Batman!  The mind boggles.  That's seventy-five of my CostCo air mattresses.

Not high, just totally unaware that they were charging so ridiculously much.  I hope those sleep number mattresses come with RealFeel(TM) Easy-Clean Vibrating Orifices for that price.

I think I'll stick with the cheap ones, even if I have to replace them every year or so.  (They're meant for occasional guest usage, not for fulltime use.  But Taiwanese mattresses suck and cost a fortune.  I can't wait to get off this mudpile.)
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:16:30 AM EDT
[#14]
We had queen sized one  for 3 years.  My wife loved it, I hated it.  It constantly gave me neck aches.  I tried all the settings from the lowest to the higest and could not get comfortable.

The day we replaced it with a conventional mattress was the day I got the best sleep in three years.

It is for sale cheap if anyone is interested.  

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:18:27 AM EDT
[#15]
yes, i allways had a water bed before this.. i like it..

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:22:08 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I read alot about them when considering our next bed. Found a website with alot of complaints.

Talked to 2 people who owned them who both said the same thing, which is if you have it firm it's ok, but soft at all and you have to lie perfectly in the middle, or you tend to dip and move towards the divider, and if you're a big person this effect is exaggerated.

I got a $1,200 foam/insert bed from a local factory with a no BS 20 year guarantee.

I did a shitload of reading when I bought my bed and found the same thing that you did.

Jacked up price and lots of hype. Not worth the money.

I ended up getting a latex foam mattress with a 20 year warranty.

I bought it online from  www.flobeds.com/ and it was money well spent. The most comfortable bed I've ever slept on.

I'd highly suggest you read up on foam beds before buying an air mattress.

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:23:14 AM EDT
[#17]
I have one in the closet ...want it ? .......edit--------Cheap...pm me
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:27:18 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I stayed at a Radison, and they have rooms with the Sleep Number Bed for $10 more.  

Don't want this idea to get lost.  Great way to test an expensive item before buying.

5sub
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:58:17 PM EDT
[#19]
that is the kind of info i wanted to know. My wife likes to sleep towards the middle of the bed. i doubt she would like it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:15:22 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I did a shitload of reading when I bought my bed and found the same thing that you did.

I bought it online from  www.flobeds.com/ and it was money well spent. The most comfortable bed I've ever slept on.

My wife and I have been looking at foam mattresses.  The Tempur-Pedic style mattresses and intriguing, but again, I'm not paying $2500 for any mattress/bed.

After much research, we've found that Costco is selling a very good quality foam mattress that compares favorably with the Tempur-Pedic product.  The king-size mattress sells for $750 and is available through www.costco.com if you don't have a Costco nearby.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:23:44 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

HOLY CRAP!

MRS goon would have a friggin stroke over spending that much on a CAR, not to speak of a MATRESS!

HAHAHAHAHA!

4500 on a MATRESS?!  WTF is wrong with people?!

HOLY COW!
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:34:11 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I stayed at a Radison, and they have rooms with the Sleep Number Bed for $10 more.  So, I tried it.  I ran it up and down, rolled around.  The bed is nothing special.  My pillow top is much more comfortable and the newer 3-4" thick pillow tops are even nicer.  Save your money, buy a normal matress and spend the rest on ammo.

The Radisson I stayed at also had the same beds.
From what I read they take a while to get used to but the wife and I were not impressed at all.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:55:09 PM EDT
[#23]
I have one and love it. You can buy referb's direct from the factory, at half the cost. We bought a king for $1200 shipped. I have a pinched siatic nerve, and after we got the new bed, I have been pain free. The wife and I are pretty pleased with it, and would buy one again if we had to.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:57:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Forgot to add, you need a good solid week to adjust to it, you cant get a very good opinion of it by sleeping on it once or twice in a hotel.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:59:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 2:17:43 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My wife and I have been looking at foam mattresses.  The Tempur-Pedic style mattresses and intriguing, but again, I'm not paying $2500 for any mattress/bed.

After much research, we've found that Costco is selling a very good quality foam mattress that compares favorably with the Tempur-Pedic product.  The king-size mattress sells for $750 and is available through www.costco.com if you don't have a Costco nearby.

I looked at the sams club memory foam ones too.

The only thing with those is that they're a memory foam topper with a core of HDPE foam. The cheaper foam core breaks down faster and is supposedly less comfortable than good real latex foam. So I shelled out the couple hundred extra and got the latex foam.

If you really wanted to get by on a budget, you could go someplace like these guys:
www.foambymail.com/LatexMQueen.html

and get a six inch thick latex foam mattress for $521.99 shipped. I think that would be a GREAT budget mattress.

The only real add ons the $1000 one I ordered had over that were a couple inches of memory foam as a topper, and a nice cotton/wool zip on cover with padded top that made it look just like a traditional mattress.

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 2:37:00 PM EDT
[#27]
I've got a Tempur Pedic and LOVE it
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 3:28:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Truth be told......

You'd rather have a craftmatic, admit it!

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 3:45:46 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The only thing with those is that they're a memory foam topper with a core of HDPE foam. The cheaper foam core breaks down faster and is supposedly less comfortable than good real latex foam. So I shelled out the couple hundred extra and got the latex foam.

If you really wanted to get by on a budget, you could go someplace like these guys:

and get a six inch thick latex foam mattress for $521.99 shipped. I think that would be a GREAT budget mattress.

The only real add ons the $1000 one I ordered had over that were a couple inches of memory foam as a topper, and a nice cotton/wool zip on cover with padded top that made it look just like a traditional mattress.

Foam doesn't breath well.  If you are a sweaty fucker like I am, this is a very bad thing.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 3:50:09 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
that is the kind of info i wanted to know. My wife likes to sleep towards the middle of the bed. i doubt she would like it.

The sleep number mattress also has an ungainly "containment" edge to it.  For the bedroom acrobatics, this would be very bad, unless you wear cowboy boots, then it would be great for hooking your heals on for traction.  The edge does nothing for comfort, and makes it kinda hard to roll out or sit on the edge to put your boots and socks on.  These things would be very important to some.

Since I spent $10 extra of my company's hard-earned money, I did a thorough evaluation.

Part of this data is Earp=6'0", 265lbs.  I normally sleep on a California King.  I hate short beds!
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:23:06 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Foam doesn't breath well.  If you are a sweaty fucker like I am, this is a very bad thing.  

Breathes fine for me.

My foam mattress has a quilted wool and cotton pad on the top so that probably helps.

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:30:35 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
My sleep number is 87

+1
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:40:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Also be advised on the sleep number - I bought one for 2K and did not like it for all of the reasons listed here.  They advertise that you can return it if you don't like it but then they gouged the shit out of me to return it.  Service call & misc expenses, pack and ship was almost $200!!!  But I did not want it so back it went.  I guess that was better than spending 2K when I could get a better nights sleep on the floor.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:57:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Wow, look them up on egay. The best one they have is like 1750 plus 100 s&h. About 2 grand less than wholesale. Brand new beds. Hopefully they're not the returned ones with a bunch of salty loads shot on it.

That price ain't all that bad really for a good mattress. If this bed would help my neck, I'd buy it. Just afraid to take the hit on the price for no return...

Yes, you could try it for free, and pay for return shipping if you hate it.

-Steve
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:04:09 PM EDT
[#35]
My wife has MS and her doctor recommended that we get one to help her sleep.  She loves it, but I hate the darned thing.  It took me over a month to get used to it enough to sleep the whole night through.  Even after getting used to it, I still don't think it is as comfortable as a standard mattress.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:05:43 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Truth be told......

You'd rather have a craftmatic, admit it!

www.craftmatic.com/images/monaco_inset.gif

Actually I own one. It came in really handy after my back surgery.
not the Craftmatic brand(overpriced Big time)but another which is exactly the same
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:13:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Wife and I have had one for about a year.  Are they worth the price? Worth is a hard thing to determine.  It is different for each person.   I would have to say it has been worth it for me.  

I ruptured a disc L4/L5 and had back surgery years ago.  I sleep much better on the sleep number bed than I have on anything else and I have tried about everything there is.

I will say that it isn't perfect.  As had been mentioned, there are two air chambers that are surrounded by foam.  I have not had any problems "rolling" as some others have mentioned nor do I find the foam a problem when sleeping.  I do agree that the foam is a pain in the butt when just wanting to sit on the edge of the bed.  

ETA:  The only other real problem/pain is getting sheets with deep enough pockets in them.  The mattress is really thick.  

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:18:39 PM EDT
[#38]
The wife and I have one.  We bought the spendy model ($3500)and I have never slept better.  We used to have a water bed, her's when we got married. I hated that fucking thing, fortunatley the dog put a hole in it and I used it as an excuse to get rid of it.  We shopped around and layed on every type of bed that's available and it was the best one for us.  We both have problems and we can adjust it to fit our needs. My wife problems come and go in diffrent parts of her body so she changes her number often.  

Yes the bed was pricey but for me/us its a good fit. I have never been able to sleeep more than 5 or 6 hours with out waking up sore and now I can sleep as long as I want comfortably.  

The bed/ air bladders are all high quality stuff and well put together. 20 year warranty. The pillow top can be adjusted with the diffrent type of foams how ever you want them.  

Lotsa of gun money in these but hey i shoot better when Im rested...lol  

Worth every penny IMHO.  

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:18:42 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you need a box springer or something below the foam mattress? Or is it on some kind of board??
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:41:32 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Do you need a box springer or something below the foam mattress? Or is it on some kind of board??

Generally speaking, it's looks to me that a foam mattress is intended to sit on a solid pedestal and probably won't sit properly on a box spring.  Being that I put the "cheap" in "bastard," I'm thinking I'll buy a couple sheets of 3/8" melamine, cut them to fit, then place them on top of our existing box springs and see how that works.

Unless someone wants to talk me out of that approach?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:43:52 PM EDT
[#41]
I sleep on a vcheap bed, I have sleeping problesm wherever it is, on the floor or in a good bed dont make much of a difference
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:01:19 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Generally speaking, it's looks to me that a foam mattress is intended to sit on a solid pedestal and probably won't sit properly on a box spring.

True.

Being that I put the "cheap" in "bastard," I'm thinking I'll buy a couple sheets of 3/8" melamine, cut them to fit, then place them on top of our existing box springs and see how that works.

Just get a sheet of plywood or OSB. Melamine will break, especially a thin 3/8" piece.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:41:44 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Generally speaking, it's looks to me that a foam mattress is intended to sit on a solid pedestal and probably won't sit properly on a box spring.

True.

Being that I put the "cheap" in "bastard," I'm thinking I'll buy a couple sheets of 3/8" melamine, cut them to fit, then place them on top of our existing box springs and see how that works.

Just get a sheet of plywood or OSB. Melamine will break, especially a thin 3/8" piece.

Good point...
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:21:16 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Generally speaking, it's looks to me that a foam mattress is intended to sit on a solid pedestal and probably won't sit properly on a box spring.  Being that I put the "cheap" in "bastard," I'm thinking I'll buy a couple sheets of 3/8" melamine, cut them to fit, then place them on top of our existing box springs and see how that works.

I have a platform bed that's a wooden frame with hardwood slats making up a platform to set the mattress on. It's not a solid unbroken base, but the gaps between the slats are only about 2" wide.
Looks like this:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top