Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/19/2006 11:44:19 AM EDT
I seem to remember hearing something about this awhile ago, but forgot about it...but my sister just sent me a link.

www.allofmp3.com/

Pennies for songs.  $1-$3 for albums.  Box sets $5-$10.

Ever use it?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:44:59 AM EDT
[#1]
its not legal
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:50:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Maybe semi-legal?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:52:22 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Maybe semi-legal?

Kinda like being nearly pregnant?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:56:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Exactly!

Pretty damn good selection those Rooskies got there...

Quoted:

Quoted:
Maybe semi-legal?

Kinda like being nearly pregnant?

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 2:29:26 PM EDT
[#5]
It's no more legal than getting the files for free off of regular filesharing--except that with this place, you get the added side-benefit of giving your credit-card info to a Russian company.

Kind of like "making a charge to your Karma account" if you will.

My suggestion:
Keep your credit card in your wallet, and get it off SoulSeek for free.
~
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:35:34 PM EDT
[#6]
nm
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:40:07 PM EDT
[#7]
used it for 3 months, not a problem.  It is quite legal, royalties are being paid, just at a lower rate.  
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:41:38 PM EDT
[#8]
used it for months

no problems, pretty good selection
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:42:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Use it, love it. Doesnt always have what I'm looking for but if they do there my #1 go to place because I can choose the bitrate.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:44:47 PM EDT
[#10]
not legal.

They're thieves.

You're giving your credit card information to thieves.

A cyber 'hold muh beer' moment.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:45:06 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
get it off SoulSeek for free.
~

Their signup has no free options.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:48:27 PM EDT
[#12]
I'll grab a prepaid credit card to use at this place, Thanks
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:50:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Been using them for better part of 2 years. Love it... HIGHSPEED downloads with the ALLofMP3 Explorer. Pretty robust selection. I like the 80's & 90's Rock & Metal... Even older stuff too. Sucks that they stopped taking paypal. Last I heard the reason they stopped taking paypal was because paypal was threatened by the recording artists whatcha call em that if they continued their account, they would file suite against paypal... bunch of BS if you ask me...

I've never had an issue with them & will continue my patronage. As far as giving out my card # to Russia.... That's why I have a VISA card!!

David
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:51:16 PM EDT
[#14]

Is it legal or illegal?

I 'heard' it was legal. Anyone have a source?

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:51:31 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
not legal.

They're thieves.

I'm not 100% sure about that.  I believe it is "technically legal" for now - because of difficulties in defining exactly how international copyright and intellectual property laws work across borders.

As far as I remember, there was an internatiol copyright lawsuit against them, and it was decided in their favor, because they are NOT violating Russian copyright laws.

Those laws will likely change at some point, but currently it is not "illegal" as far as I understand it.  People who use it ARE paying for music.

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:54:50 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
not legal.

They're thieves.

I'm not 100% sure about that.  I believe it is "technically legal" for now - because of difficulties in defining exactly how international copyright and intellectual property laws work across borders.

As far as I remember, there was an internatiol copyright lawsuit against them, and it was decided in their favor, because they are NOT violating Russian copyright laws.

Those laws will likely change at some point, but currently it is not "illegal" as far as I understand it.  People who use it ARE paying for music.

You are correct sir. The industry is just trying to make it as HARD as possible for people to use. They think that if users only have choice of using a CC, that they will shy away. Prepaids are good, but that's why you get a VISA of MC... specifically for theft.

David
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:56:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Been using it for the last four months with no complaint. They have a decent selection and are easy to use.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:57:24 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
not legal.

They're thieves.

Actually it's technically legal because of corrupt russians protecting their own.

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:57:57 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
used it for months

no problems, pretty good selection

+1.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:58:28 PM EDT
[#20]
I use it and love it as well. I have had no problems and the selection for the most part is large. I like said above, I feel more comfortable giving my Visa, than sending a MO or something like that.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:58:50 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
not legal.

They're thieves.

You are correct sir. The industry is just trying to make it as HARD as possible for people to use. They think that if users only have choice of using a CC, that they will shy away. Prepaids are good, but that's why you get a VISA of MC... specifically for theft.

David

funny people talking about theft when they're buying music that has been stolen.

Aways a good laugh to see people go on and on about how theives are scum and how they'd like to string them up, but when it comes to stealing movies or music, they'll rationalize it any way they can.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:58:56 PM EDT
[#22]
I've been using it for quite some time now. Works great and gets you a whole CD for usually just over a dollar. I'm almost positive it is at least for the moment legal to use it since there is no international law yet regarding music rights and stuff.  I usually just download them from torrents or other P2P programs though.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:10:25 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
not legal.

They're thieves.

David

funny people talking about theft when they're buying music that has been stolen.

Aways a good laugh to see people go on and on about how theives are scum and how they'd like to string them up, but when it comes to stealing movies or music, they'll rationalize it any way they can.

pretty much.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:13:42 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
not legal.

They're thieves.

David

pretty much.

At least it's enlightening. Threads like these show me which people can't be trusted and are no better than common  bottom feeding, scum sucking thieves. All the same rationalization, done one song at a time.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:14:03 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
not legal.

They're thieves.

David

pretty much.

That's a good point - so it is "technically" legal, but it is clearly not "right"

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:17:44 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
not legal.

They're thieves.

David

pretty much.

That's a good point - so it is "technically" legal, but it is clearly not "right"

No one really knows about it, being from another contry and all. We do not know if they legally bought the CD's and are sahring them. Downloaded and sharing or got rights to sell, but being in a different country who knows. Its probably "legal" only cause the RIAA hasnt figured out international copy right laws yet.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:17:49 PM EDT
[#27]
here's the allofmp3.com story, summed up by news.com

Late last month, Moscow police completed an investigation of the issue and recommended to prosecutors that the site be charged with copyright violations. The International Federation of the Phonographic Industry (IFPI) also submitted a formal complaint about the site.

On Friday, Russian news agency Tass reported that prosecutors had declined to press criminal charges, citing specifics of Russian copyright law.

The Russian site says it has legal rights to sell the music in the form of licenses from the Russian Multimedia and Internet Society. Record labels say that group does not have the authority to grant distribution rights to their music.

Police said they should prosecute, prosecuter wouldn't. Wonder why?

They have no legal authority to sell these songs. They are not paying licensing fees.

What they're doing is like someone renting out your house while you're on vacation and then keeping all the money for themselves. And then they justify it by saying somone else said that they could rent out your house and keep the money.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:18:14 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
get it off SoulSeek for free.
~

Their signup has no free options.

It's free after you pay your membership dues.  
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:19:45 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

No one really knows about it, being from another contry and all. We do not know if they legally bought the CD's and are sahring them. Downloaded and sharing or got rights to sell, but being in a different country who knows. Its probably "legal" only cause the RIAA hasnt figured out international copy right laws yet.

see the next post after yours.

Sorry, it's just a bunch of gibberish. The RIAA has been working on international copyright laws for years. There are international organizations set up for just this purpose.

And it doesn't matter if they 'legally bought the cd's'. They don't have the right to sell MP3's from them, and they are not paying royalties to the copyright holders.

It's outright theft.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:21:49 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry, it's just a bunch of gibberish. The RIAA has been working on international copyright laws for years. There are international organizations set up for just this purpose.

And it doesn't matter if they 'legally bought the cd's'. They don't have the right to sell MP3's from them, and they are not paying royalties to the copyright holders.

It's outright theft.

Just saw that. Something new I have seen...

Either way, as far as music goes, i dont care. I dont buy CD's anymroe anyway. until they can make CD's that are really scratch resistant and be worthwhile im not buying them...
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:22:06 PM EDT
[#31]

This is interesting legal stuff.

On allofmp3.com's site they have a little disclaimer:

Is it legal to downlard from AllOFMP3.com?

The availability over the Internet of the ALLOFMP3.com materials is authorized by the license # LS-3М-05-03 of the Russian Multimedia and Internet Society (ROMS) and license # 006/3M-05 of the Rightholders Federation for Collective Copyright Management of Works Used Interactively (FAIR). In accordance to the licenses' terms MediaServices pays license fees for all materials downloaded from the site subject to the Law of the Russian Federation "On Copyright and Related Rights". All these materials are solely for personal use. Any further distribution, resale or broadcasting are prohibited.

The works available from ALLOFMP3.com are protected by the Law of the Russian Federation "On Copyright and Related Rights" and are for personal use of a buyer. Commercial use of such material is prohibited. Recording, copying, distribution on any media is possible only upon special consent of a Rightholder.

The user bears sole responsibility for any use and distribution of all materials received from AllOFMP3.com. This responsibility is dependent on the national legislation in each user's country of residence. The Administration of AllOFMP3.com does not possess information on the laws of each particular country and is not responsible for the actions of foreign users.

The underlined part is certainly pointing to something.

I couldn't find anything at the RIAA site but I did find this article:

www.dailyvanguard.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2005/10/21/43591cd631d82
The RIAA’s Russian front
The U.S. recording industry is in a one-sided showdown with retailer AllofMP3.com, and chances are good that this time Goliath won’t win
By Christian Gaston
October 21, 2005

An internet retailer that’s selling Franz Ferdinand’s latest album for $1.14? Sounds too good to be legal, right? Not in Russia.

AllofMP3.com, a digital music warehouse akin to iTunes, has ruffled the feathers of industry recording groups by selling albums at a cut rate, seemingly bypassing industry-standard repayment and copy protection schemes. To add insult to injury, pressure from the recording industry to shut the company down has fallen on deaf ears.

Those ears, belonging to Russian prosecutors, are deaf to the noise produced by recording companies because Russian copyright law may not cover “digital media.” And if the RIAA can’t shut the site down, AllofMP3 poses a more dangerous threat: outperforming accredited mp3 vendors in the marketplace.

<snip>
In the case of AllofMP3, the case seems fairly clear, if the RIAA and its international counterpart, the International Federation of Phonographic Industries, can’t get Russian authorities to shut down the service, then they may have to resort to suing the users.

But that’s where things get tricky. In essence, the suits that the RIAA brings against individual music pirates in the U.S. are consistently valid because, almost unquestionably, those who download albums from Grokster, Soulseek or Bittorrent know that what they’re doing isn’t legal.

But customers of a commercial web site like AllofMP3, which seems to be on the up-and-up aside from the grammatical awkwardness of its moniker, have a lack of apparent intent. Instead of being obvious scofflaws, these users are more like unwitting purchasers of untaxed cigarettes. In that case the RIAA may have a very difficult time bringing lawsuits against AllofMP3 users, and it’s unlikely that federal prosecutors would bring charges.

Like others have said -- its not clearly illegal -- except perhaps if it can be proven you knew it wasn't quite right.  

So don't read this.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:23:40 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's outright theft.

Either way, as far as music goes, i dont care. I dont buy CD's anymroe anyway. until they can make CD's that are really scratch resistant and be worthwhile im not buying them...

That news story is from march 7th, 2005. Nearly a year old.

http://news.com.com/Legal+reprieve+for+Russian+MP3+site/2100-1027_3-5602743.html

If you odn't like CD's, you can buy MP3's online legally if you wanted to. Or you could rationalize stealing if you wanted to as well.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:29:56 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's outright theft.

That news story is from march 7th, 2005. Nearly a year old.

http://news.com.com/Legal+reprieve+for+Russian+MP3+site/2100-1027_3-5602743.html

If you odn't like CD's, you can buy MP3's online legally if you wanted to. Or you could rationalize stealing if you wanted to as well.

I wont "rationalize", ill just go download what i want.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:51:51 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Since you are the one here championing RIAA's position, I have a question.

Back in the day, it was not illegal to take a reord, tape it, either Reel to Reel, 8 track, or cassette. Or go to your friends house and do the same, always was legal as long as it wasnt commercial distribution or showing, etc. AFAIK.

Up come computers, and now the RIAA hire all the top dollar lawyers to make the way things are different.

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:03:56 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Since you are the one here championing RIAA's position, I have a question.

Back in the day, it was not illegal to take a reord, tape it, either Reel to Reel, 8 track, or cassette. Or go to your friends house and do the same, always was legal as long as it wasnt commercial distribution or showing, etc. AFAIK.

Up come computers, and now the RIAA hire all the top dollar lawyers to make the way things are different.

Because now the scale is different. And there is no expense involved in sharing (back then you had to buy a tape - etc - it was a relatively rare occurrance). Also in the 80's they started getting a small cut of blank tape sales.

Plus since the tapes were inferior, and often mix tapes, a lot of them didn't mind because it was almost a like a promo for them - some thought it would inspire more people to buy the records, which sounded better. For awhile tapes were gaining popularity and record sales were rising, and everythign was good.

Now anyone can rip a near perfect copy of a CD, and have hundreds, thousands, or millions of people download it for free. Zero expense and people don't bother to buy the CD because they already have a copy they can burn or play on their ipod. There is no upside for the record companies or anyone else for that matter when people pirate music.

In a thief's perfect world, one person would buy the cd, rip it, and put it on the web, and everyone would get it for free. Which would pretty much screw the people who created the music.

My concern isn't so much for the record companies as it is for the songwriters who make their living off of record roylaties. You steal a song or a cd, they don't get a dime. The artist may make some money out performing, but the people who wrote the songs - the original creators of the music-  get screwed. No royalties = no income = no reason to write songs for the public.

And usually it's justified that the artists have enough money,the RIAA is evil, music isn't that good today (but it's good enough to steal) - whatever it takes. If you think songs are bad now, wait until you chase out all the good songwriters because they can't make a living writing songs anymore.

Just a peeeve of mine. People here will rationalize it (or just outright steal without a second thought) and then scream bloody murder if somone stole the results of their work. I hate hypocrisy as much as I hate thieves.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:09:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Guys ever been to Russia? Every street corner, subway station, etc in major cities has a store or stand selling bootleg CDs and DVDs. I bought about 50 last time I was there... Legal? Probably not... Do I care if Metallica only makes $10 M this year instead of $11M because people stole their stuff?

No.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:13:29 PM EDT
[#37]
you guys are paying for a free service. Its called the Limewire gnutella ppp network

its like charging you for pissing in the wind.

You guys are suckers for sure
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:13:53 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Because now the scale is different.

So nothing ethical, moral or legal, only scale.

Just a peeeve of mine. People here will rationalize it (or just outright steal without a second thought) and then scream bloody murder if somone stole the results of their work. I hate hypocrisy as much as I hate thieves.

Agreed.

I never looked at it as stealing, as I always remembered it as perfectly legal to copy for private consumption, until the latest grab by the RIAA with great shark lawyers, and we all know anythign is possible (How many million for a burnt crotch from coffe that should be hot?) with the right legal team.

As for artists, they only make pennies from each sale anyway, they should be the ones hiring good lawyers.

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:29:27 PM EDT
[#39]
So, Bastiat... are you in the recording industry?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:34:58 PM EDT
[#40]
The RIAA and Clear Channel Broadcasting have stifled modern radio to the point of being pathetic.

As a result, there is no way to hear music that doesn't suck ass besides downloading MP3s.

CC and the RIAA can kiss my ass.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:42:27 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Nope.

Just studied it for awhile years ago. Learned the copyright laws and how different parts of the industry made their money.

Anybody that thinks they're "sticking it to the man" by stealing mp3's is sorely mistaken. They're hurting the people who drive the business.

Recording an album costs more than a lot of people here make in a year. Studio time, recording engineers, mastering engineers, etc. Many artists get that money 'fronted' to them and then have to pay it back via record sales before they start making money. Some of  them get in the hole and don't get out.

Not every band is metallica playing to packed stadiums and selling thounsands of t-shirts amonth to make money. A lot of them are just scraping by hoping to be discovered by music fans. The problem is when they're 'discovered' now, people just steal their songs online, and they may just drop off the face of the earth after one or two albums. Touring 365 days a year in a crappy van gets old after awhile.

While I'm preaching here, if you want to know why music today is shit, it's because record companies more than ever are going after the 'sure thing' sales- teen music, crap bands, bland rock, etc, that they know they can package and sell. I forget the numbers, but I think it was worse than only 1 in 20 new albums broke even as far as the initial investment goes (it was likely much worse, but it's been years since I was looking into this).  They make their money by gambling that one of the acts will produce a multi million seller and put them in the black.

Now that the profits have been cut from people stealing music, there's less of an incentive to take risks on good bands that may develop over a few albums. They want acts that can sell now and the quality of the music doesn't matter. It just has to sell because they have to make money or they won't be in business.

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:43:02 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
The RIAA and Clear Channel Broadcasting have stifled modern radio to the point of being pathetic.

As a result, there is no way to hear music that doesn't suck ass besides downloading MP3s.

CC and the RIAA can kiss my ass.

and there's that rationalization I was talking about earlier.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:58:31 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope.

Just studied it for awhile years ago. Learned the copyright laws and how different parts of the industry made their money.

Anybody that thinks they're "sticking it to the man" by stealing mp3's is sorely mistaken. They're hurting the people who drive the business.

Recording an album costs more than a lot of people here make in a year. Studio time, recording engineers, mastering engineers, etc. Many artists get that money 'fronted' to them and then have to pay it back via record sales before they start making money. Some of  them get in the hole and don't get out.

Not every band is metallica playing to packed stadiums and selling thounsands of t-shirts amonth to make money. A lot of them are just scraping by hoping to be discovered by music fans. The problem is when they're 'discovered' now, people just steal their songs online, and they may just drop off the face of the earth after one or two albums. Touring 365 days a year in a crappy van gets old after awhile.

While I'm preaching here, if you want to know why music today is shit, it's because record companies more than ever are going after the 'sure thing' sales- teen music, crap bands, bland rock, etc, that they know they can package and sell. I forget the numbers, but I think it was worse than only 1 in 20 new albums broke even as far as the initial investment goes (it was likely much worse, but it's been years since I was looking into this).  Now that the profits have been cut from people stealing music, there's less of an incentive to take risks on good bands that may develop over a few albums. They want acts that can sell now and the quality of the music doesn't matter. It just have to sell because they have to make money or they won't be in business.

It's funny that the ones going after file sharing are not the smaller "starving artists", it's the multi-million selling acts like Metallica and the RIAA, who primarily represents the major record labels in the US.

For a lot of lesser known bands/labels, MP3s are the only way their music gets out to people who haven't heard it before. It certainly doesn't get played on Clear Channel/RIAA radio.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:04:21 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope.

While I'm preaching here, if you want to know why music today is shit, it's because record companies more than ever are going after the 'sure thing' sales- teen music, crap bands, bland rock, etc, that they know they can package and sell. I forget the numbers, but I think it was worse than only 1 in 20 new albums broke even as far as the initial investment goes (it was likely much worse, but it's been years since I was looking into this).  Now that the profits have been cut from people stealing music, there's less of an incentive to take risks on good bands that may develop over a few albums. They want acts that can sell now and the quality of the music doesn't matter. It just have to sell because they have to make money or they won't be in business.

It's funny that the ones going after file sharing are not the smaller "starving artists", it's the multi-million selling acts like Metallica and the RIAA, who primarily represents the major record labels in the US.

For a lot of lesser known bands/labels, MP3s are the only way their music gets out to people who haven't heard it before. It certainly doesn't get played on Clear Channel/RIAA radio.

Here's a big shock for you...well, it may be:

The reason the RIAA and metallica are the ones going after the downloaders are because they're the ones with the money. Lawyers cost a lot of money, in case you didn't realize that.

Some songwriter making maybe $40,000 a year or a band just scraping by on the road after their third album sold 10,000 copies doesn't have the resources to hire their own lawyers. That why organizations like ASCAP and the RIAA do it for them.

And if other labels choose to get out their songs on MP3, that's their choice. That's why it's called copyright - the person who owns the copyright has the right to say how the work is copied.

That right does not belong to you,and trying to justify stealing someone's work because "it doesn't get played on clear channel" is just vile.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:06:07 PM EDT
[#45]
My advice would be not to pay to break the law.  If you are going to illegaly download music, do it for free.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:14:26 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Yes, it's a rationalization.

But if you know of a better way to hear new music than downloading MP3s, I'm all for it.

I own 300+ CDs, most of which are European death/black metal. Not a huge number, but not exactly a pittance, either. Without MP3s, I would never have been able to hear most of the bands, and as a result I would never have bought the CDs.

To me, there is a MORAL difference between downloading some songs you've never heard and then buying the CDs, and downloading whole albums at a time and burning them onto CDs. I know there is no LEGAL difference.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:21:54 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Here's a big shock for you...well, it may be:

The reason the RIAA and metallica are the ones going after the downloaders are because they're the ones with the money. Lawyers cost a lot of money, in case you didn't realize that.

Some songwriter making maybe $40,000 a year or a band just scraping by on the road after their third album sold 10,000 copies doesn't have the resources to hire their own lawyers. That why organizations like ASCAP and the RIAA do it for them.

And if other labels choose to get out their songs on MP3, that's their choice. That's why it's called copyright - the person who owns the copyright has the right to say how the work is copied.

That right does not belong to you,and trying to justify stealing someone's work because "it doesn't get played on clear channel" is just vile.

The RIAA doesn't represent a lot, dare I say most, small record labels.

Look at the list yourself. Most of them are subsidaries of the major record labels in the US.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:25:29 PM EDT
[#48]
limewire is your friend
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:18:34 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I own 300+ CDs, most of which are European death/black metal. Not a huge number, but not exactly a pittance, either. Without MP3s, I would never have been able to hear most of the bands, and as a result I would never have bought the CDs.

Who do you recommend for good old fashioned, no bs thrash/grind death metal.  I like it fast but without the cheesy vocal effects, and all the devil bs.  Im a big fan of Vader's live album, but havent found anything else as good.  With 300 cd's you have to have something good.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:31:24 AM EDT
[#50]
Ummm,,,,, first off, SoulSeek doesn't cost nuthin, it's a free P2P program http://www.slsknet.org/
I don't know where you found that it said you had to pay anything; I entered "soulseek" in Google and the correct address listed as #1 result.

It doesn't have any spyware (unlike "legit" ones like Kazaa and Napster) and has no sharing ratios (you aren't required to share anything to download files) but personally, many people will kick you if you don't have anything shared.  

--------

Secondly, as I have noted before, a LOT of credit-card and bank theft gets traced into Russia/FSR, and from there..... -it gets lost, because local police don't/won't/can't investigate it any further. If you are not absolutely certain that a Russian company is legit, then you really shouldn't give any credit card info to them.

-------

Thirdly, the recording radio and television organizations in the US have ALWAYS opposed home-users have the ability to record ANYTHING. Reel-to-reel, cassette tape, VHS, Beta, CD-R and DVD-R drives--they have always protested when any new ability for home users to record was introduced, under the claim that it was surely going to bankrupt them. And every time, they have somehow continued on to sell even more recordings and movies. Every year they bitch to congress about "the huge sums of money they are losing" and "why they need laws to protect their rights", and yet pretty much every year they usually post HIGHER profits than the previous year. What they say is totally bullshit. It has been proven wrong more than once before. And if they had their way, you would have to pay to listen to a song or watch a movie or TV show every time you wanted to hear or watch it (recall the DivX disk players, anyone?).

Don't cave in to the RIAA and MPAA's wishes; they are not your friends. The rest of the world gets this stuff for free, and you should too.
~
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top