Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/15/2006 2:23:59 AM EDT
At 4:30 pm today First of I believe 3 hearings. Looks like you can view a live feed from the committees webpage.

Wednesday 02/15/2006 - 4:30 PM
2141 Rayburn House Office Building
Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism, and Homeland Security
Oversight Hearing of "The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE) Part 1: Gun Show Enforcement." (The subcommittee hearing will immediately follow the subcommittee markup.)

Link

judiciary.house.gov/schedule.aspx

edit - Made link hot ~ 82nd

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:34:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Ten bucks says the ATF tries sticking it to the law-abiding American population again. Or maybe go set fire to a school or church or something to justify their pay checks.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:39:51 AM EDT
[#2]
tag
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:44:21 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Ten bucks says the ATF tries sticking it to the law-abiding American population again. Or maybe go set fire to a school or church or something to justify their pay checks.

I think the ATF is having a harder time these days playing their games.  They've been burned enough for at least some lawmakers to wonder about what makes them tick.  They need to be downsized, save some taxpayer money.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:44:47 AM EDT
[#4]
you beat me by minutes.  I was thiking, 'you know, not just virginians might want to watch the ATF get its ass handed to them!'

When you read what happened, all you can think is.. Gestapo.

from NRA:

Virginia - Oversight Hearing Set on BATFE Abuse at Richmond, VA Gun Show

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

On February 15, at 4:00 p.m., the U.S. House Judiciary Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism and Homeland Security will hold an oversight hearing to investigate apparent wrongdoing by BATFE at a Richmond, VA gun show last August.

In 2004-05, a troubling pattern emerged at a number of Richmond, VA-area gun shows, where hundreds of BATFE agents and state and local police staked out local shows. Immediately upon learning of these incidents, NRA began investigating and working to ensure congressional oversight hearings would be held to determine any wrongdoing and ensure BATFE was not overstepping its bounds or violating the law.

BATFE agents copied lawful gun purchase transaction records and provided this information to local police officers, who in turn conducted "residency checks." Federal law prohibits the release of this information except to state and local police to identify prohibited purchasers or recipients of guns. The information provided to local police prompted multiple instances of officers showing up at the homes of those who lawfully purchased firearms from licensed dealers at area gun shows. On occasions when the lawful purchasers were not at home, agents questioned family members (for example, inquiring of a wife if she knew her husband was at a gun show and/or had purchased a firearm) or their neighbors. In other cases, reports surfaced of lawful gun owners and holders of valid carry permits having their firearms confiscated.

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:52:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Wow. I hope someone gets "let go".
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:56:57 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Wow. I hope someone gets "let go".

Pfft. Was Lon Horiuchi "let go"? Did anyone get fired over any of the travesties the ATF has committed in the last ten years?

They're as corrupt as the U.N.; which, by the way, just hired back the only person fired over the oil-for-food scandal and gave him a $100k annual pay raise.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:57:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:01:22 AM EDT
[#8]
TAG   TAG   TAG   TAG   TAG   TAG   TAG   TAG   TAG   TAG
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:12:05 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
you beat me by minutes.  I was thiking, 'you know, not just virginians might want to watch the ATF get its ass handed to them!'

from NRA:

On February 15, at 4:00 p.m., the U.S. House Judiciary Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism and Homeland Security will hold an oversight hearing to investigate apparent wrongdoing by BATFE at a Richmond, VA gun show last August.

In 2004-05, a troubling pattern emerged at a number of Richmond, VA-area gun shows, where hundreds of BATFE agents and state and local police staked out local shows. Immediately upon learning of these incidents, NRA began investigating and working to ensure congressional oversight hearings would be held to determine any wrongdoing and ensure BATFE was not overstepping its bounds or violating the law.

BATFE agents copied lawful gun purchase transaction records and provided this information to local police officers, who in turn conducted "residency checks." Federal law prohibits the release of this information except to state and local police to identify prohibited purchasers or recipients of guns. The information provided to local police prompted multiple instances of officers showing up at the homes of those who lawfully purchased firearms from licensed dealers at area gun shows. On occasions when the lawful purchasers were not at home, agents questioned family members (for example, inquiring of a wife if she knew her husband was at a gun show and/or had purchased a firearm) or their neighbors. In other cases, reports surfaced of lawful gun owners and holders of valid carry permits having their firearms confiscated.

This caused me to avoid the last Richmond show (no kidding).

"Honey, I'm just going to look...maybe pickup some ammo"

2 hrs later, a LEO shows up to let her know you have the wallet out...Just great.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:16:18 AM EDT
[#10]
tag for updates
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:22:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Hearings? Wow, I'm impressed, NOT.

The buck will be passed, nobody will be held accountable, nobody will be fired, no action will be taken. The supposed "hearings" are just a smoke screen, once the media blitz dies down everything will return to normal.

Move along, nothing to see here.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:32:30 PM EDT
[#12]
FOLKS THIS IS ON NOW!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:38:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:40:35 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
FOLKS THIS IS ON NOW!!!!!!!

Hang on, I'm finishing up my CMP Garand paperwork, damnit
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:41:51 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

from NRA:

This caused me to avoid the last Richmond show (no kidding).

"Honey, I'm just going to look...maybe pickup some ammo"

2 hrs later, a LEO shows up to let her know you have the wallet out...Just great.

WTF?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:41:58 PM EDT
[#16]
tag
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:20:44 PM EDT
[#17]
TAG
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:21:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Anyone fill me in on whats going on? I can't do streaming video from work.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:23:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:28:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:47:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Can someone give us a recap?

Thanks a lot!!
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:48:39 PM EDT
[#22]
what time zone
nm guess i missed it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:53:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Have you seen the details on the ATF Director's new Marble Palace..er...headquarters?  Saddam's place doesn't have much on it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:55:46 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Have you seen the details on the ATF Director's new Marble Palace..er...headquarters?  Saddam's place doesn't have much on it.

I know. Typical Bush Administraton
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:56:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Tag
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top