Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/11/2001 2:27:57 PM EDT
I was out at the Bristol, WI rage today sighting in my AR and struck up a conversation with a more experienced AR shooter. He suggested I try Wolf ammo, since it is cheap and he claimed that he has shot about 2,000 rounds of it with no problems.

Out of the kindness of his heart, he gave me 10 rounds to try. I fired all 10, not a single failure.

A buddy of mine has also shot about 1,000 rounds of Wolf. No problems for him. The steel casing didn't destry his AR, and the laquer coating never gummed up his AR during rapid fire.

So why does Wolf have such a bad reputation?
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 2:32:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I not sure why........but i've shoot close to 1000rds with no problems whats so ever
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 2:39:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 2:40:38 PM EDT
[#3]
i've run wolf (200+ at a sitting) thru my arma national match. no problems. so far, the legp m4 eats it, also.

in my ak-74, i find the barnaul to be to the most consistant/accurate of the 3 russian brands i run.

ymmv.
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 2:46:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Take this thread to the AMMO section where it belongs.
HANGMODFIRE[smoke]
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 2:46:32 PM EDT
[#5]
i have used wolf .45,.223,7.62x39 & 9mm
never a problem. good stuff!
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 2:48:21 PM EDT
[#6]
hangfire i believe general discussion pretty
much covers everything.
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 2:49:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I think the reason Wolf has a bad reputation is because of ignorance.  Sure there probably have been some problems that have occurred while Wolf Ammo was being used.  Haven't problems occurred while other brands have been used?  I think that people are more quick to gripe because the ammo is foreign made and dirt cheap in price.  I personally have had no problems with Wolf ammo.  I have had the problems they talk about with Winchester .223 ammo though.  In my opinion Winchester ammo is loaded just a bit too light to cycle the gun right.  You also have to consider that many guys put down on Wolf because it doesn't cose $40 for a 20 round box.  You know the type, they're at every range bragging about how much they overpaid for their rifle, ammo, scope etc.  These are the guys who turn their noses up at discounts or anything that isn't overpriced.  The bad reputation on Wolf comes from new guys getting in shooting and hearing these blow-hards belittle Wolf, basically because it doesn't cost enough.

I recently won a $100 prize in a shooting competition using Wolf, so I can tell you that it's good enough ammo.
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 2:55:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I have fired several cases of Wolf ammo.  It is great blaster ammo.  I do have a failure to extract (FTE) every so often, usually during rapid fire.  When this happens, I ram-rod the spent case out with the cleaning rod, and clean the chamber with the chamber brush.  Takes just a minute, no big deal.  

For accuracy, Wolf does have quite a few fliers, but groups seem to be decent.  I usually use Wolf for shooting bowling pins and steel reactionary targets.  

BTW all my barrels are Bushmaster, except for a single Colt.  The barrel that seems to have the most FTE is my Dissipater.  

For the money, I feel Wolf is a fair deal.  Just have to remember, you get what you pay for.  I like to use Federal American Eagle 55gr when I am printing on paper.

OSA
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 2:55:53 PM EDT
[#9]
We've probably gone thru about 3000 rounds of wolf, with the following problems:  6 or 7 FTF's,  2 FTE's, with stuck case, and 3 or 4 dead primers.  It is not as accurate as more expensive ammo, and it is almost as dirty as black powder, and tends to flash heavily.  It is fine for blastin' ammo, and tactical shoots where fine accuracy at long range is necessary.
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 2:57:17 PM EDT
[#10]
I have used a lot of wolf in my AR and I only have two gripes with it: it is dirty, and it does not funtion well in my 90 round drum (in every other mag it is fine).

Kyle
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 3:00:05 PM EDT
[#11]
sf46, have you tried winchester varmint
rounds? 45 grain,3600fps. works great in my
bushmaster. not too expensive either.
wal-mart sells it for about $11 a box of
40 rounds.
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 3:03:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Have used several thousand rounds with no trouble. Use what works best for you.
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 3:50:12 PM EDT
[#13]
I few months ago at the Lebanon MO, machine gun shoot I ran mag after mag of Wolf ammo through one of my M16's, expecting to melt the gas tube, but after about 250 straight with fairly quick 40rd mag changes, it finally stuck a case in the chamber.  The barrel was so damn hot the stainless barrel had actually turned yellow and the gas tube is now about 10 different colors.  It probably would have ran longer with standard ammo, but I was really running the gun much harder than I would ever normally do.

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1531281&a=11594752&p=52815425&Sequence=0&res=high[/img]

Link Posted: 8/11/2001 4:02:57 PM EDT
[#14]
I shoot it regularly with very few problems.  Have even emailed Wolf & some firearm manufacturers about using this ammo in ARs, Kimbers, Glocks, SIGs, etc.  Wolf says no problem...manufacturers recommended brass but those were "personal feelings" of the reps. that responded.

I feel its pretty good ammo for plinking...for concealed carry or accuracy I'd recommend "better" ammunition.
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 2:28:14 AM EDT
[#15]
My Bushy M4 loves the stuff,no problems at all in rapid fire!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top