Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2001 12:38:04 PM EDT

[center][b][size=6]Willie Nelson Aids Klamath Farmers [/b][/size=6][/center]
Jo McIntyre, CNSNews.com

Friday, Aug. 10, 2001

The battle over Klamath Basin has just ratcheted up a couple of notches. FarmAid and its founder, Willie Nelson, Thursday announced their support of the Klamath Basin Foundation, the umbrella organization formed to coordinate Klamath Basin activities.
"He has interjected himself formally," said Marty Macy, treasurer of the foundation. "FarmAid scrutinized the foundation," before deciding to lend support.

In a story that has captured national interest, farmers and ranchers irrigating from the Klamath Basin Project on April 6 were devastated by a court order to shut off their irrigation water for the entire growing season to save water to preserve two species of suckerfish and Coho salmon.

Now, the Klamath Water Foundation has formed to unite those farmers with retail and other community entities that are all working to obtain and sustain secure, stable irrigation water within the Klamath Basin, which is near the Oregon/California state line.

The umbrella group will facilitate networking among all the groups in the basin, while each group will retain its individual autonomy and pursue its own special endeavors.

"I'm very excited about it," said Macy, a Tulelake agricultural pilot and farmer, retired Marine Corps jet fighter pilot and son of a WWII homesteader. "We're in this for the long term."

The foundation is a positive step that will help people in the Klamath Project on both sides of the border. The organization is necessary to help coordinate all of the legal and communication efforts going on in the area now.

"What we have is an issue that's got out of control. Everybody is trying to find a roadmap to work their way out of this," he said, including federal agencies such as the Bureau of Reclamation. The project covers 200,000 acres in Modoc and Siskiyou counties in California and Klamath County in Oregon.

"We support every effort that has been made," Macy said. "There are great Americans at the headgates. There were great Americans at the hearings and at the Bucket Brigade."

Protesting farmers opened the headgates several times before being ousted by U.S. marshals. After a stint of guard duty by a 15-member U.S. Park Police detachment, nine armed Bureau of Land Management rangers are guarding the gates.

Copyright CNSNews.com

[center][size=5][b][blue] GO WILLIE[/size=5][/b][/blue][/center]
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 12:44:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 12:46:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 1:13:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
"I've got a shotgun,rifle and a four wheel drive
and a country boy will survive".
View Quote
That was Hank Williams Jr. but as far as I know Willie feals the same way.
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 1:23:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, as far as I know, Willie believes in freedom, including the RKBA.  After all, his "heros have always been cowboys." :)

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 1:50:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I saw a Biography special about him, and I think it mentioned in there somewhere that he has done a complete 180 with his political beliefs (from left wing to right wing). I saw him on TNN a while back talking about how this country seems to be losing all its individual freedoms. He specificlly mention the right to bear arms, and the right to own property.

Kyle
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 2:49:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I said it before, I'll say it again.  Willie Nelson rules.
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 3:21:17 PM EDT
[#7]
[size=6][b][red]BARBAROSA[/size=6][/b][/red]

[):)]
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 3:33:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Time to break out a Willie CD in honor of a truly gifted and caring American.  Go Willie!
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 7:04:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I saw a Biography special about him, and I think it mentioned in there somewhere that he has done a complete 180 with his political beliefs (from left wing to right wing). I saw him on TNN a while back talking about how this country seems to be losing all its individual freedoms. He specificlly mention the right to bear arms, and the right to own property.
View Quote

I'd assume having the gestapho (a.k.a. The IRS) come in and take everything you own will do that to you.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 7:06:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I said it before, I'll say it again.  Willie Nelson rules.
View Quote

I agree.  My father was a big fan of his until he died, and I've re-discovered him recently.  I guess I had to grow up before I could really appreciate him.  He's playing here tomorrow, but I don't think I'm going to be able to go.  Being unemployed for so long has kept me from buying tickets.

God Bless Texas
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top