Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/10/2001 2:03:47 PM EDT
G8 police admit excessive force
(Filed: 09/08/2001)

ITALY'S national police chief admitted yesterday that his men used excessive force during the G8 summit in Genoa, when three days of violence left a protester dead and the city centre looking like a war zone.

Giving evidence to a parliamentary inquiry, Gianni De Gennaro said in a written statement: "The guerrilla-like conditions created by violent and criminal instigators in some cases provoked an excessive use of force by police units - that may be true.

"And in some other very isolated cases, there was [unprovoked] unlawful conduct, which will be rigorously looked into."

Politicians welcomed Mr De Gennaro's forthrightness. "It was a compelling report, quite broad and full of courageous self-criticism," said Renato Schifani, a senator from the conservative Forza Italia party.

But the Right-wing National Alliance party, a partner in the government, hinted that it might be time for Mr De Gennaro to go. "It's an hypothesis we will have to consider," said Luciano Magnalbo, a Forza Italia MP.

"There must be an assumption of responsibility for the problems caused at the G8 summit from the hierarchy in charge of commanding and co-ordinating, above all the head of police."

There has been a flood of allegations of police brutality, with many protesters saying they were beaten while lying on the ground.

Other concerns have focused on a midnight raid on a school that was a headquarters for protester groups, in which 62 people were injured and 90 arrested.

Three senior police officers have been transferred to more low-profile positions by the Interior Minister, Claudio Scajola, who has faced calls for his own resignation.
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 2:33:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Hummmm
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 6:12:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Leftist's got what they deserved!!
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 6:27:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Were they really Leftists? From what I understand they were part of the the Anti-Globalism movement.
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 6:38:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Normally, I side against the government but this group deserved more than they got.
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 6:40:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Not me. I say beating the crap outta a Leftist is better than beating nobody, any day!

Eric The(RememberVietnamWarProtestorsInNYC?)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 8:29:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Bet you guys would have supported Bull Connor and his tactics against MLKing.
Violence is deplorable, especially when people in power abuse their power. How is this reaction by Italian cops different from the PRC's crakdown on the students in Tianamen?
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 8:39:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 9:13:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Nazi Tatics? In Italy? Shouldn't this be Fascist Tactics? Interesting read anyway.
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 9:20:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Were they really Leftists? From what I understand they were part of the the Anti-Globalism movement.
View Quote

They were part of the Anti-Globalism movement.  It would be similar to a bunch of gun owners protesting some U.N. resolution to limit firearms worldwide, then getting thrashed by the cops for their effort.

Some may have been hippies, and therefore historically a pro-Republics enemy, but they were on the right side of the battle this time.  

Screw globalization, and best of luck to all those who oppose it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top