Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 14
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:17:38 PM EDT
[#1]
The more I look at it, the more I like it. Kudos to Sig for bringing us new rifles. Since FN and Sig are bringing us rifles, I want to support them the best I can. The FN ARM L and H will be purchased and I have not decided on the Sig yet. Sell my Rob Arm M96 for the Sig, decisions.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:21:48 PM EDT
[#2]
tag
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:23:41 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
My god we are our own worst enemy. A MAJOR gun maker decided to pony up ITS money to develop and produce a fucking assault rifle, for the US, and we complain???

My fucking god, some of you are pathetic.

I will be buying one as soon as I can. Along with a FN2000, and an ARM. Eventually these damn things will be banned anyway.

We wanted one thing and were offered something else.

I'm glad Sig offered something, and I hope the rifle does well for their sakes, but this isn't what a lot of us were hoping for.  That's what it boils down to.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:24:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Who the hell needs an AR15 now. The 556 takes all the AR15 toys, and adds the most important components of the 55x series.

No buffer tube cycling issues mean companies like Magpul and ACE can conjure up folders and adjustable after a few months.

Forearms are going to be popping up all over the place, and if that thing takes 55x forearms, it's even better

I will wait for the 556 SWAT model and hope someone makes diopeter rear sites.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:30:00 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
My god we are our own worst enemy. A MAJOR gun maker decided to pony up ITS money to develop and produce a fucking assault rifle, for the US, and we complain???

My fucking god, some of you are pathetic.

I will be buying one as soon as I can. Along with a FN2000, and an ARM. Eventually these damn things will be banned anyway.

A lot of us don't have a lot of money.  I think lots of folks are in the same boat I am in... we can only afford one, if any, of these new whiz-bang rifles this year.  The 550 series looked like it was the clincher for many people but the promo picture completely stomped that out of them.

It isn't that we don't appreciate SIG, but we certainly were not anticipating an AR in disguise.

Kudos to the company and, if I were a rich man, I'd promise to buy one.  As it stands, I'll wait for an XCR.

God, I hope they come out with some kind of "classic" model.

- BG

I dont make much money either. Im still going to end up with one. I cant help myself. Yea, its not exactly what I thought that they would make, but im not mad. Hell, I dont even own a Sig pistol, so its not like I drink the Sig kool aid.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:31:36 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Since they apparantly built a piston driven AR rather than a 55X series I don't expect it to perform any better than an AR. And that is the basis for a LOT of the complaints. It's NOT the same rifle.

They built a 550 rifle, with alot of AR-esque features.

Unless they fucked up something BAD, I would expect to run as good as a Swiss Arms 55x, which means in no uncertain terms it should be extremely reliable. Dare I say more so than an AR. For the piston-lovers, I would think this would be quite attractive, but what do I know?

No, it's not the same rifle, in much the same way that a commercial Bushmaster XM15 is not a Colt M16A2. There was no way, no how, that SigSauer was going to make a mirror-perfect 550 primarily for the LEO market, and sell it for under $1000. Anyone who thought that has not paid attention to the market. Everything nowadays is using AR components - because they work, and they're cheap....and (big shocker coming) that's what everyone has clamored for. So, Sig does it, and we're pissed. If they had made a real 550, I imagine there would have been someone pissed that it wasn't as good as an AR.

Come to think of it, I remember a whole shitload of that very comment when this whole rumor got started. Why buy it, it's not an AR? Well, now it is, and we're mad because it IS an AR.

If it shit golden brass and sucked our dicks, I think 80% of the forum would complain that it wasn't good enough.

<goes back to fondling a Schmidt Rubin 1911 long rifle that really is Swiss>
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:35:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I've got nothign against it, I just won't be buying one.

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:40:57 PM EDT
[#8]
SIG should be used to people being attached to their old designs, but their new designs are always kick ass

SIG PRO
P250Dcc
SIG 229
DAK trigger

All good stuff and I have no doubt the 556 will be just as good
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:43:27 PM EDT
[#9]
The single worst part about the rifle is the stock.  Fortunately, if it accepts a standard AR stock/buffer tube, then that's easily replaceable.

The optics rail I'm not a big fan of being elevated like that, but I'll reserve judgement until I can get a feel for how optics are going to be mounted.  I hope that they have some of them at SHOT with Eothingies or Aimpoints on them.

All in all, it is NOT an AR.  It's a 550 redesigned to take an AR stock, mag, and pistol grip.  I don't think it's fair at all to compare the 550 gas system (AK style) to the AR piston systems, all of which have a compartively short time in service and have not earned the reputation of reliability of the 550 series just quite yet.

As far as accuracy goes, I'm sure it'll be just as accurate as any comparable AR or 550 in the same barrel length with the same twist and same ammunition being fed through it.  It'll still outshoot the majority of us, unless somebody seriously messed up.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:47:31 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The optics rail I'm not a big fan of being elevated like that, but I'll reserve judgement until I can get a feel for how optics are going to be mounted.  I hope that they have some of them at SHOT with Eothingies or Aimpoints on them.

From what I understand, the Swat model is a flat top.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:48:35 PM EDT
[#11]
I just figured the pefect way to explain my problem and why i won't buy it, along with maybe somebody else's..

I personally like Ford Mustangs, owned a couple of them.... that 03, 04 factory supercharged Cobra..I love... Now that said for years (I blame it on the dukes of hazzard) i've wanted a dodge charger. Said one day if I could get one and afford to do it right I'd own one..

THen a couple years ago I hear a rumor that dodge is bringing the CHarger back and i'm all kinds of excited... When they finially release it it's not really a charger. It's a 4dr sedan. It may be a hell of a car but it's not appealing in any way to me.

This brings us to today, I like my ARs, I own a couple. I've wanted a Sig 552 since i first saw it. I got to shoot it once nad i was in love... This rumor comes out about a civy version and i'm all excited. Turns out, it's a different gun all together....

I"ll stick wiht my ARs
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:55:29 PM EDT
[#12]
I like it.

It is not the art nouveau  assmatic 3000 that Beretta unveiled recently, and it has the looks of a straight forward, purpose built gun.   I am not a fan of the AR15 magazine, but it is a wise marketing decision since it makes it that much more accessible to folks who now do not have to worry about buying proprietary mags.  For a gun that is more or less an ice breaker after years of banishment, I think it is a good start.

It sure as hell looks like it is better than any of the other AR alternatives currently out there...
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:59:03 PM EDT
[#13]
I don't think people are mad at Sig cus they took away a functional rifle they wanted and replaced it with something nonfunctional.

I think they're made becuase Sig took away thier precious path to elitism.

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:08:50 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I don't think people are mad at Sig cus they took away a functional rifle they wanted and replaced it with something nonfunctional.

I think they're made becuase Sig took away thier precious path to elitism.

Nope, they're mad because what we're getting is an an almost-550 that nobody asked for.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:15:48 AM EDT
[#15]
SIGARMS press release:

New SIG 556 Rifle: The time Has Come
SIGARMS® introduces U.S. made version or legendary Swiss rifle.

EXETER, NH – No other semi-automatic rifle has captured the imagination of the shooting public like the SG 550 series rifle. For years this legendary Swiss made rifle has been restricted to law enforcement and military sales where it has continuously built on its reputation for outstanding performance, accuracy and durability. Now, SIGARMS® has announced that the time has come for a U.S. made version and introduces the new SIG 556.

The SIG 556 features the same high-performance two position adjustable gas piston operating rod system engineered by SIG’s sister company Swiss Arms and marries it to a trigger housing that not only cuts the rifle’s weight by a pound but is designed to accept standard AR magazines.

Originally developed to work under the extreme situational pressures and environmental conditions of the Swiss Army on alpine duty, the new SIG 556 delivers when it counts regardless of ammunition type and variances in gas pressure or case material.

The SIG 556 features a 16” military grade cold hammer forged barrel with a twist rate of 1 in 9”. The barrel is locked to the steel receiver through a unique system that allows the user to easily change out the barrel.

The forearm housing the gas operating system is a vented non-slip polymer featuring the SIG TriRail design with three integrated Picatinny rails for mounting accessories. There is a forward mount for right or left side sling attachment. The flip up front combat sight is adjustable for windage and elevation.

The Picatinny rail equipped receiver is made of high strength carbon steel with a durable wear-resistant Nitron® X rifle finish. The trigger housing is made from a heat treated aircraft grade aluminum alloy with a hard-coat anodized finish designed to survive extreme conditions. The rifle comes equipped with a smooth two-stage trigger.

The SIG 556 also features an ambidextrous safety and is designed to accept standard AR magazines. A rugged 30-round polymer magazine is supplied with each rifle.

Spare battery compartments are provided in the ergonomically designed pistol grip as well as the rubber padded watertight adjustable butt stock. The butt stock also offers sling attachment points.

In addition to the standard model SIG 556 which will begin to ship in late summer of 2006, SIGARMS will also offer a SIG 556 L featuring a longer forearm but also equipped with the 16” barrel. The 556 L will be ideal for upgrading to the 20” barrel for more precision oriented shooting.

The third model planned to 2006 is the SIG 556 SWAT. The SWAT model will feature the same compact design of the standard SIG 556 with 16” barrel but will feature a flat top Picatinny railed receiver and a tactical quad rail.

These three rifles are the first of several new SIG 556 models that are currently in development at SIGARMS. The wait is over. The new U.S. made SIG 556 begins shipping in late summer – because the time has come.

SIG 556 SPECIFICATIONS & FEATURES

............................SIG 556 L.......SIG 556......SIG 556 SWAT
Caliber: ---------------------- 5.56 mm ----------------------
Overall Length: ........36.5”..........36.5”............36.5”
Length w/ Stock Folded: 33”........33”..............33”
Barrel Length: ...........16”............16”.................16”
Sight Radius: ............21”...........17.75”.............17.75”
Forearm: --------- Polymer SIG TriRail --------Quad Rail
Rifling: ----------------------- 1 in 9” ------------------------
Weight w/o Mag.:.......7.2 lbs........6.8 lbs........6.8 lbs
Operating System:------- Gas Operated, Rotating Bolt ------
Magazine Capacity: 30 Rnds........30 Rnds........30 Rnds
MSRP ......................$1,299........$1,299........$1,799
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:24:26 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
SIGARMS press release:

The new U.S. made SIG 556 begins shipping in late summer

Reality translation:

We have no idea when we'll ship it, so we picked a random date some months out to pacify you.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:49:16 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
SIGARMS press release:

The new U.S. made SIG 556 begins shipping in late summer

Reality translation:

We have no idea when we'll ship it, so we picked a random date some months out to pacify you.

I've been hearing august for about a month now. It's in SIG's interest to get this thing out while it is still warm.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:59:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Anybody notice that the barrels "lock" into the upper receiver and can be easily changed by the user?  That's COOL!

Anybody notice (one did) that the SWAT model will be available with a flattop?  The riser in the pictured model is for correct sight alignment with the higher stock.  Perhaps the SWAT model will have the original stock?

The pistol grip looks to be standard AR compatible.  I hate finger grooves myself, so I'd dump that one for an FN SAW type grip.  I'm sure someone will make one if no one is currently.  

I was hoping for an adjustable stock, but not an AR stock.  I guess it is ONE less part they had to engineer/build.  Same goes for the pistol grip.  The SOPMOD (or just a regular stock) would look better than that TAPCOesque stock they used.  It really DOES have a crappy "look" to it, which is poor marketing.  Look at Leitner-Wise, on their new offerings they use only the latest/greatest MagPul products.  It raises the appearance of quality of the whole rifle when the most prominent parts (the stock) are high quality.

The flash suppressor is dissapointing.  I like the original, and it's such a simple part to make.  I guess that's one MORE piece they didn't have to make.  Now I'm seeing why this rifle will be under $1k!

I like the forend just fine.  I don't think it's such a stretch from the original design, just updated with a few rails.  Of course, the side rails are in the wrong place if you ask me.  I want to put a vertical foregrip close to the magwell, and have a weaponlight offset to the right slightly in front so I can use my thumb to activate it.  Oh well, the SWAT model will have a true "Quad Rail."

The riser on the pictured model appears that it could be removeable.  I'm not sure, but it looks to me like the receiver could just be drilled and tapped for either a flush mounted rail (like the 552) or the riser.  Hmmm....

I am glad they designed the rifle around the AR-15 magazine.  I have bunches, and I wouldn't even CONSIDER the rifle if I had to buy new types of mags for it.  I'm a snob like that...

I DEFINITELY like diopter rear sights.  But a rear flip inside the rail is kinda cool.  

Well, I'll be getting a short stroke piston-driven AR type rifle in a couple of months that comes with a 4-rail forearm.  I'll be paying $1615.00 for it, and it doesn't come with any rear sight at all.  THAT'S how bad I want a piston-driven rifle that uses AR mags and has the same ergonomics as an AR.  It looks like this rifle (or at least the SWAT model) will be competing for my money!  
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:15:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Everything people object to seems easily removable except for the Ar magwell and trigger gaurd.

I gauruntee, absolutely gauruntee  that original equipment will be available as reasonably costly options.

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:17:57 AM EDT
[#20]
WHAT DO THESE TWO PICURES HAVE IN COMMON?

AND

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:41:57 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
WHAT DO THESE TWO PICURES HAVE IN COMMON?

www.fangoria.com/lotd/lotd_poster_sm.jpg

AND

sigforum.com/movedimages/para/556/556a.jpg

Both are pictures of things I don't want in my house?

- BG
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:48:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Some obvious observations after taking a closer look

1. The 556 photo is no 16"barrel
2. It doesnt take AR15 grips. look closely
3. The forend looks to attach in the same way the 55x series does
4. The new grip is the same angle as the 55x guns
5. The front sight assembly is different
7. The rear area is overly complex for just AR15 stocks, suggesting it is contoured to attach something else

8. Swiss Arms is going to make a killing on folding stocks, forearms, grips and sights when the feeding frenzy begins to build a 55x clone

9. The dimensions of the upper and lower look identical between the 556 and 55x, only the 556 doesnt use cheap pressed steel, and no slow AK style rocker reloads

10. No bayo lug, not that I care, and as I recall 55x carbines didnt feature bayo lugs at one time

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:50:55 AM EDT
[#23]
If they sell the 556 for under $1000 USD, that is one hell of a deal.
However, SIG and inexpensive rarely go together.

Now, a Glock 5.56 carbine for under $1000 USD makes a lot more sense.

I'm just not sold on the SCAR system when the AR15 works as-is. The piston will help with reliability but it also adds weight. I don't need quick change barrels, and I don't think the military really wants that feature. The folks that say they want quick-change barrels probably never stepped foot into combat. Which soldier should haul around stuff that only an armorer is rated to work on? I also enjoy reading about the quick-change barrels that require the use of allen wrenches of tools to swap barrels. I can forsee a high demand in replacement wrenches becuase they were lost in the field.

For zombies, I'll use my PS90. It's more compact and lighter.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:59:56 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Some obvious observations after taking a closer look

1. The 556 photo is no 16"barrel
2. It doesnt take AR15 grips. look closely
3. The forend looks to attach in the same way the 55x series does
4. The new grip is the same angle as the 55x guns
5. The front sight assembly is different
7. The rear area is overly complex for just AR15 stocks, suggesting it is contoured to attach something else

8. Swiss Arms is going to make a killing on folding stocks, forearms, grips and sights when the feeding frenzy begins to build a 55x clone

9. The dimensions of the upper and lower look identical between the 556 and 55x, only the 556 doesnt use cheap pressed steel, and no slow AK style rocker reloads

10. No bayo lug, not that I care, and as I recall 55x carbines didnt feature bayo lugs at one time

www.sigarms.com/apps/cmt/img/sg-551-2-sp--large.jpg
sigforum.com/movedimages/para/556/556a.jpg

The grip resembles the FN SAW grip. One problem with a folding stock and 16" barrel is that the overall length with the stock folded may be under 26", so if SIG does make a factory 55x this way, it's not going to have a 16" barrel (probably 17"-18" or more) to make the OAL at least 26". The folks living in SBR friendly states will have a blast though.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:34:51 AM EDT
[#25]
I'm sooooooooooooo glad I did not buy that $8000 Sig 550-2 a few months ago. I would imagine the prices of the pre-ban Sig 550-2 will drop to the $2500 range now that the 556 is available at $1299.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:38:19 AM EDT
[#26]
typical arfcomanduhs, thought it had nothing to do about looks?

since i live in a bastard state i'll do mine like this.

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:29:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Yeah its ugly, but a gas piston, quick change bbl, AR for much less than a Colt?  Who cares if its an ugly mofo, function before form for me, oh wait this is the AR board after all.  

Why do the specs say it has a folding stock, thats my question?

SIG 556 SPECIFICATIONS & FEATURES

............................SIG 556 L.......SIG 556......SIG 556 SWAT
Caliber: ---------------------- 5.56 mm ----------------------
Overall Length: ........36.5”..........36.5”............36.5”
Length w/ Stock Folded: 33”........33”..............33”
Barrel Length: ...........16”............16”.................16”
Sight Radius: ............21”...........17.75”.............17.75”
Forearm: --------- Polymer SIG TriRail --------Quad Rail
Rifling: ----------------------- 1 in 9” ------------------------
Weight w/o Mag.:.......7.2 lbs........6.8 lbs........6.8 lbs
Operating System:------- Gas Operated, Rotating Bolt ------
Magazine Capacity: 30 Rnds........30 Rnds........30 Rnds
MSRP ......................$1,299........$1,299........$1,799

eta:  Not to mention you can put any AR stock, grip, or muzzle device on it, along with any optic, looks good to me.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:34:59 AM EDT
[#28]
33" with the stock folded on a 16" barreled 556? How did that do that? It's about 32" and change for a fully collapsed 6-pos stock 16" AR-15 M4 carbine. I would expect something like 25"-26" with the stock folded.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:37:02 AM EDT
[#29]
My Visa just breathed a sigh of relief!
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:42:12 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Why? They take the best aspects of the AR with the best aspects of the Sig.
This of it as a Sig 55x series 2. Its the updated model. I like it, in fact the more I see it the more I like it, and by the time I buy I'll probably like it more then the authentic 55x rifles.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:49:05 AM EDT
[#31]
I'm in.  Looks pretty frickin' sweet, and definitely qualifies as a EBR.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:52:01 AM EDT
[#32]
tag

Its growing on me....

It absolutely MUST bea ble to take different grips though.  that one is fugly
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:54:23 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This of it as a Sig 55x series 2. Its the updated model. I like it, in fact the more I see it the more I like it, and by the time I buy I'll probably like it more then the authentic 55x rifles.

That is not what I or I dare say, a majority of Sig rifle consumers want.  I want a Sig 55X, I just am not in a position to spend 8-15K on one.  If they would have produced what their consumers asked for, I would spend $1500 + to own one.  So far, this has nothing for me over the AR platform that would justify purchasing one.YMMV
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:00:43 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is not what I or I dare say, a majority of Sig rifle consumers want.  I want a Sig 55X, I just am not in a position to spend 8-15K on one.  If they would have produced what their consumers asked for, I would spend $1500 + to own one.  So far, this has nothing for me over the AR platform that would justify purchasing one.YMMV

How do you figure? It come with rails in all the positions to attach gear to, it uses the Sig gas system, has Sig quality (Speculation yes, but I bet its a damned nice rifle....), has flip up sights, has a multi position stock....It took the best of the AR (modularity) and combined it with the best of Sig (reliability/quality/gas system).
If your basis of buying a gun is simply looks, then by all means I can see not wanting it because it doesnt look like a Sig. But from a functionality standpoint that thing is spot on.

To each their own I suppose. I want on in a bad way though.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:14:09 AM EDT
[#35]
They called it a Sig 556. Does that make it Conn legal, where they ban guns based on something logical like the name......
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:18:54 AM EDT
[#36]
That sure is one ugly rifle.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:28:00 AM EDT
[#37]
Bah.  I'll pass.  I was really looking foreward to the new sig rifles, but I just cannot brind myself to buy a rifle that leaves the factory wearing that crap telestock. (IIRC, this stock was being  bashed on here a few months back)   The handguards probably came from the same place.   Where else did they cut costs?

Also, the rail on top looks completely gay compared to the rails Sig was already using - I don't like it any more than I like the RRA EOP uppers.   I mean, come on Sig, we're big boys and can manage to mount our shit at the right height.

On the bright side, I'm expecting at least one of the other models to have the lower rail on top.  I also expect some bright businessman to start selling 550 series fore ends.  That, combined with the Magpul PRS stock and UBR stock (which bears a passing resemblance to the 550 stofk, even though it doesn't fold), should make for a decent enough rifle.

If your basis of buying a gun is simply looks, then by all means I can see not wanting it because it doesnt look like a Sig. But from a functionality standpoint that thing is spot on.

Some of us don't want to buy something that was perfectly good before but now looks like a shoe designer from Nike attacked it with a drafting table.  Function-wise, none of us really need any of thse cool foreign rifles; it's all about what we want.  And what we want is a semi Sig 550 series rifle, and this ain't it.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:30:23 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Bah.  I'll pass.  I was really looking foreward to the new sig rifles, but I just cannot brind myself to buy a rifle that leaves the factory wearing that crap telestock. (IIRC, this stock was being  bashed on here a few months back)   The handguards probably came from the same place.   Where else did they cut costs?

Also, the rail on top looks completely gay compared to the rails Sig was already using - I don't like it any more than I like the RRA EOP uppers.   I mean, come on Sig, we're big boys and can manage to mount our shit at the right height.

On the bright side, I'm expecting at least one of the other models to have the lower rail on top.  I also expect some bright businessman to start selling 550 series fore ends.  That, combined with the Magpul PRS stock and UBR stock (which bears a passing resemblance to the 550 stofk, even though it doesn't fold), should make for a decent enough rifle.

Some of us don't want to buy something that was perfectly good before but now looks like a shoe designer from Nike attacked it with a drafting table.  Function-wise, none of us really need any of thse cool foreign rifles; it's all about what we want.  And what we want is a semi Sig 550 series rifle, and this ain't it.

Fair enough, I cannot argue with that. Guess its a good thing Sig didnt release the 550/1/2 , but released the 556 right?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:31:18 AM EDT
[#39]
Heres a question. Look real close at the reciever pics.
Where the hell does it eject from? I see no place a 556 round would fit through the reciever for ejection. The slot for the cocking handle looks too small. The slot behind it looks like it *might* take a 556 case, but for the bolt to go back that far it looks like it would have to have a buffer tube in the stock like a AR15.

Am I just a fuckin idiot this morning, or whats going on here??
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:36:33 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:40:57 AM EDT
[#41]
It does eject out of where the bolt handle is.

I'm glad they're offering us a rifle, but if they don't start doing some more market research it's just going to end up like the AR-180B.  Gloftoe is right, it isn't a huge leap over the US made AR systems.  That wouldn't be a problem, if it made up for it with "cool points", because that's what this is all about for many of us.

Now, I like Tapco.  I buy many things from them, especially because I appreciate how I got a box full of new AR mags from them at my front door 4 days after the ban ended.  However, a note to firearms makers: having your $1000+ rifle leave the factory looking like you coated it in crazy glue and dragged it through the AR section of the Tapco catalog is completely unacceptable.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:41:33 AM EDT
[#42]
I have to agree, Im somewhat diappointed with the end result......I wanted as close to STG90 as I could get....and they hand us props for StarShip Troopers IV. I really hate spending half what the rifle costs to get rid of what some 20 something thought was ubercool to put on it. All they have done is create another aftermarket cottage industry that will make money putting the swiss service rifle retro look back on them.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:43:04 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

The grip resembles the FN SAW grip. One problem with a folding stock and 16" barrel is that the overall length with the stock folded may be under 26", so if SIG does make a factory 55x this way, it's not going to have a 16" barrel (probably 17"-18" or more) to make the OAL at least 26". The folks living in SBR friendly states will have a blast though.

Under federal law, there's no SBR issue here as long as it has at least a 16 inch barrel.  Lots of AK underfolders are under 26" with the stock folded, but that doesn't make them SBRs because ATF measures with the stock fully extended.  Measuring with the stock folded is a silly Michigan state law thing.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:46:17 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I'm sooooooooooooo glad I did not buy that $8000 Sig 550-2 a few months ago. I would imagine the prices of the pre-ban Sig 550-2 will drop to the $2500 range now that the 556 is available at $1299.

Give it time.  Just yesterday the new rifle was gonna cost below $1000 and would have every possible cool feature ever made.  The estimated price keeps going up and the features keep going down (along with enthusiasm).
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:47:39 AM EDT
[#45]
It would look a lot better if you added this http://www.dsarms.com/images/btsighg.gif and thishttp://www.tapco.com/item_pics/md/STK06220B_md.jpg and figgered out what stock to go with it
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:49:49 AM EDT
[#46]
For a rifle that has always been a breed apart from the AR (to a lot of people) these things sure look a lot like fu**ed up ARs.

It looks lik ethe front sight will fold flat.  Is there a flip-up rear sight on that thing?  If not then they're idiots.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:52:52 AM EDT
[#47]
I'll be waiting to see what the 556 SWAT model looks like.  From it's specs in the press release it sounds more promising.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:53:11 AM EDT
[#48]
I'm in.  

I like it.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:55:44 AM EDT
[#49]
FrankenSig
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:59:37 AM EDT
[#50]
I'm interested.

I'll need to handle one,a dn see.

Kinda like the Robinson Armament M96 - it felt cheesy.

Page / 14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top