Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/5/2006 5:27:01 AM EDT
Gay Bar Attack Suspect Caught in Ark. After Shootout; Police Officer Killed

Sunday, February 05, 2006

NORFORK, Ark. — Arkansas state police say a teenager wanted in a hatchet-and-gun attack on patrons of a Massachusetts gay bar shot and killed a small-town police officer before being critically wounded in a gun battle with police that left his female companion dead.

Jacob D. Robida, 18, shot and killed Gassville police officer Jim Sell, state police spokesman Bill Sadler said. Moments later, about 25 miles away, he engaged in a gun battle with police officers who had set up a roadblock across Arkansas 5 downtown.

Robida was wanted in a Thursday morning attack at the Puzzles Lounge in New Bedford, Mass., that left three men wounded, one critically. New Bedford police labeled the attack there a hate crime and said Robida would face attempted murder, assault and civil rights charges. In Arkansas, killing a police officer is a capital offense punishable by death.

According to Gassville police investigator Scott Thrasher, Robida shot Sell twice with a 9 mm handgun during a traffic stop. New Bedford Mayor Scott Lang said Sell was 63.

In New Bedford on Saturday night, District Attorney Paul Walsh Jr. said Robida had been pulled over in Gassville for a traffic violation and, in the later confontration at Norfork, was shot twice in the head.

"It doesn't look good right now," Walsh said.

Walsh said the dead woman was not from New Bedford.

After the Gassville shooting, Robida headed east on U.S. 62, then south on Arkansas 201 and east on Arkansas 321 toward Norfork. State police laid out spike strips that punctured two tires, but Robida continued on just the rims.

In downtown Norfork, police cordoned off two blocks of Arkansas 5 and Robida's car careened into several parked vehicles as he tried to avoid police.

"Then they came on down in here," Montgomery said, standing near police tape marking the scene. "When he wrecked he started firing at our officer and a state police officer and the officers returned fire."

Ruts made by the tire rims were visible in the pavement in Norfork where the vehicle continued after the rubber burned off. No Norfork officers were injured.

Robida's friends said he had, at times, glorified Nazism and bore a swastika tattoo, but had not previously expressed prejudice toward homosexuals.

"This is insane," said Heather Volton, 22, of Fall River, Mass., who had known Robida for year. "That kid never so much as raised his voice at me. ... This is all pretty much a shock to me, like everyone else."

Another friend, Jennifer Crosby, 24, also of Fall River, identified herself as "part black and a lesbian" and said Robida never expressed any hostility toward gays.

Police said Robida's Internet home page was full of reference to Insane Clown Posse, which is on the Psychopathic Records label. The company has a logo depicting the silhouette of a man wielding a hatchet.

Investigators released a 911 tape from the incident. Several loud pops that police said may be gunshots can be heard over the shouts of bar patrons and the voice of an unidentified woman who reported the attack.

Rep. Barney Frank, an openly gay congressman whose district includes New Bedford, said the community has a history of tolerance. Frank pointed out that the city re-elected Gerry Studds in the 1980s after he became the first member of Congress to publicly announce he was gay.

"This is not some general problem with the people of New Bedford," Frank said. "This is one disturbed 18-year-old."

Link

I'm going to say a prayer for the officer's family and a second one hoping the 'neo-nazi' punk dies of his wounds but only after some pain and suffering.

ETA:  

Jacob D. Robida, 18, of New Bedford, Mass.

He shot and used a hatchet to attack several men in a gay bar in MA.  The story has been in the news here since he was a fugitive.  Related story:

Mass. Cops Hunt Gay Bar Attacker

Thursday, February 02, 2006

NEW BEDFORD, Mass. — A teenager armed with a hatchet and handgun opened fire inside a gay bar early Thursday, wounding at least three people in what police are investigating as a hate crime.

A bartender at Puzzles Lounge told The Associated Press that the young man, dressed all in black, ordered a drink and asked if Puzzles was a gay bar. He finished his drink shortly after midnight, ordered another, then started attacking people, the bartender said. Three were hospitalized Thursday.

Police were searching for 18-year-old Jacob D. Robida, Police Capt. Richard Spirlet said. An arrest warrant sought to charge Robida with assault, attempted murder and civil-rights violations.

According to a court filing attached to the warrant, his mother told police he came home around 1 a.m., bleeding from the head, then left again. Officers who searched his bedroom found what they described as "Nazi regalia" and anti-Semitic writings on the wall, the police affidavit said. It said Robida was recognized by a woman in the bar.

"Obviously we have a man who's dangerous, who's not rational, and he has weapons," Bristol prosecutor Paul Walsh Jr. said.

Spirlet said the teenager was armed with a handgun and "some sort of cutting instrument" when he walked into Puzzles Lounge.

The bartender said the man finished his drink and walked to the back of the bar where two men were playing pool, shoved one to the ground, then pulled a hatchet from his sweat shirt and began swinging at the man's head, cutting him. Spirlet said the attack came without provocation.

Other patrons tackled the man, sending the hatchet sliding across the floor, the bartender said. That's when the man pulled out a handgun, he said. The gunman shot both pool players and fired at a patron who was leaving the bathroom, hitting him in the chest.

"He was shooting at everyone," said the bartender, who asked to be identified only by his first name, Phillip, because he was concerned about his safety.

Police found the hatchet and a machete in the bar, he said.

Robida graduated in 2001 from the city's Junior Police Academy, a "boot camp" that teaches discipline to 12- to 14-year-olds, Acting Police Chief David Provencher said.

A family friend who answered at his home Thursday said his mother, Stephanie Oliver, had no comment.

Puzzles is popular with the local gay community and is listed on Web sites offering resources to gays and lesbians. Police said they rarely respond to reports of trouble there.

"If all the bars in the city were that quiet, we'd be great," Spirlet said.

New Bedford, a city of 94,000 residents, is 50 miles south of Boston.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:44:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:55:51 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
He needs a case of "lead poisoning".

They did try.  Let's hope it works.

Arkansas state police say a teenager wanted in a hatchet-and-gun attack on patrons of a Massachusetts gay bar shot and killed a small-town police officer before being critically wounded in a gun battle with police that left his female companion dead.

As far as the female companion, there were a lot of interviews with his friends.  Very weird-looking people and they did their best to defend him.  This was before the shooting in AR.  It sounds like the companion knew what she was getting into so my 'sorry' meter is running very low for her.  
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:57:57 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

He got it.  We all just hope it's terminal.

I wonder what all the South-hating masshole liberals will say when a good ol' boy from Arkansas (probably a Southern Baptist too) gives up his life trying to apprehend one of their murderers.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:01:33 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wonder what all the South-hating masshole liberals will say when a good ol' boy from Arkansas (probably a Southern Baptist too) gives up his life trying to apprehend one of their murderers.

I don't even want to know the spin that gets put on that one.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:02:56 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't even want to know the spin that gets put on that one.

On what I said?  Have you ever read some of the hate spewed by hardcore New England liberals towards the South?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:06:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Prayer sent for Officer Jim Sell and his family.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:15:30 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted: Rep. Barney Frank, an openly gay congressman whose district includes New Bedford, said the community has a history of tolerance. Frank pointed out that the city re-elected Gerry Studds in the 1980s after he became the first member of Congress to publicly announce he was gay. "This is not some general problem with the people of New Bedford," Frank said. "This is one disturbed 18-year-old."
Robida went after the wrong people. Should've gone after Barney Frank instead.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:17:27 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Robida was wanted in a Thursday morning attack at the Puzzles Lounge in New Bedford, Mass., that left three men wounded, one critically. New Bedford police labeled the attack there a hate crime and said Robida would face attempted murder, assault and civil rights charges. In Arkansas, killing a police officer is a capital offense punishable by death.

Ok, so some nut goes bonkers and hurts people. Unfortunately, it happens all the time. What I want to know is, what possible difference does it make that the victims are gay. If said nutcase had killed a group of innocent kids, he wouldn't be facing the "civil rights/hate crime" charge. I guess "they" are just more important than everyone else (the unfortunate police officer too). What total BS.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:21:39 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted: If said nutcase had killed a group of innocent kids, he wouldn't be facing the "civil rights/hate crime" charge. I guess "they" are just more important than everyone else (the unfortunate police officer too). What total BS.
The reason that libtards protect the useless gays is because gays can't reproduce with other gays naturally. So if a gay dies, it's like the end of the line for 'em. It's as if they never existed in the first place because they lack a natural family line. So the only way to spread gaydom is to stay alive as long as possible and spread their perverted ideas.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:28:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:34:16 AM EDT
[#11]
The lead poisoning has taken effect!

Just in: The dirtbag has assumed room temperature.

Arkansas cops can shoot straight.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:35:20 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Thank God.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:38:27 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

glad to hear it.  i'm just down the road from gassville.

Perhaps if MA had looser gun laws, someone in the bar would have shot him, and the officer would be alive today.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:45:25 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:47:52 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I have been following this for I find it quite odd.  This messed up nutcase obviously was exposed to the "Gay Lifestyle" before this event.  His profile isn't a self proclaimed social hero but that of social misfit.  It sure would be interesting to hear what pushed him over the edge to suidical violence, well besides being a nutcase to begin with.  I totally expect his exposure to the "Gay lifestyle" was a bit more than what we know and he was having issues coming out of the closet with some major guilt in some act he did.  

I agree, the kid must have been pretty messed up. I, for one, won't celebrate his (or anyone else's) death. This is a sad story for all involved. My prayers go out to the officer's (and the wacko kid's) family.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:48:00 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted: Just in: The dirtbag has assumed room temperature. Arkansas cops can shoot straight.
Alla-Akbar!
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:49:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:01:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Two doses of lead poisoning to the head are usually fatal. The POS can rot in hell for eternity now.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:13:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Gay Bar Attacker Dies

Glorified Naziism, friends say
Jacob Robida, arrested in hatchet, gun attacks in Mass. bar, dies after battle with cops that left two others dead

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:15:44 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I'll tell you: "Why did they have to shoot that boy??????"    
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:17:26 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Perhaps if MA had looser gun laws, someone in the bar would have shot him, and the officer would be alive today.

Guns in bars with alcohol is not a good mix, IMO.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:17:37 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll tell you: "Why did they have to shoot that boy??????"    

Why didn't the LEO just talk nice to him? He was always a good boy who would not hurt a fly.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:19:01 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

glad to hear it.  i'm just down the road from gassville.

I wasn't aware that any state legalized guns in bars?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:21:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Interesting that the news article tries to get sympathy for the suspect by referring to him as a "teen" even though he's a grown man.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:22:48 AM EDT
[#25]
2 IN THE HEAD..........are Arkansas cops good shots or what?!
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:36:40 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Interesting that the news article tries to get sympathy for the suspect by referring to him as a "teen" even though he's a grown man.

Actually, that is so they can use him as another "teen violence" statistic.  I believe the current age is 21, with a push by Sarah Brady to have the age raised to include all living beings since "everyone is a child inside"
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:40:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:43:39 AM EDT
[#28]
I'd like to see Gov. Mike Huckabee send a bill for the two rounds to Mitt Romney.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:55:50 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They'll say nothing. They'll concentrate on the "hate crime".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top