Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/30/2006 9:02:06 PM EDT
I just saw on the news that there was a shooting at a post office in Santa Barbara County here in CA.

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:02:51 PM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:04:22 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I just saw on the news that there was a shooting at a post office in Santa Barbara County here in CA.

Isn't this the first one in years? I can't remember the last one that happened.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:04:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh shit, I hope he didn't use an "assault weapon"!
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:04:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Luckily they only had 10 round mags so that minimized damages do you have alink?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:07:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I dont see it on the internet yet.

It was mentioned briefly at the start of the 10 pm news.  Just happened tonight.

I dont even remember the the name of the town.  Golen or something like that.

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:39:47 PM EDT
[#6]
They just said a little more on the news.

This happened in Goleta, CA.

The shooter was likely a Post Office Employee.

The shooter is at large.

No more details.

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 10:01:57 PM EDT
[#7]
http://cbs2.com/topstories/local_story_031005926.html

Three Killed In Postal Facility Shooting In Goleta

(AP) GOLETA, Calif. A Santa Barbara County Fire captain says two people are dead and at least two others wounded in a shooting at a postal facility in Goleta.

Fire Captain Keith Cullom says the two injured were taken to the hospital in critical condition. He was not able to confirm if there are additional victims.

Cullom says the gunman remains at large while one of the victims was close to the building entrance and was pulled out by a paramedic.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 10:02:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Just saw on TV:

Three dead and one injured.

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 10:02:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Shooter was a woman
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 10:04:18 PM EDT
[#10]
At 0100 hours?

Oh, an employee.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 10:06:20 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
At 0100 hours?

It was first seen on the news at 10 pm California time.

Probably happened shortly before that.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 10:16:59 PM EDT
[#12]
NEWS FLASH:

The shooter was a former employee.

Local news here in San Diego said again that there are three dead and one wounded, in critical condition.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:38:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Latest update.  7 dead including female shooter.  1 critically wounded.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:41:04 AM EDT
[#14]
NINE seconds too late.... Damn, gotta get the "Typing with Mavis Beacon" software.   Good try....

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:43:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Oh, a female shooter?

In that case we won't have anything to worry about. It doesn't fit the liberal agenda to have anything but a white man be a gun-toting murderer. Remeber Robert Dupont? The rich guy caught in a love triangle with his butt-hole wrestler buddies? Barricaded himself in his mansion when the law came to get him but you hear virtually nothing about it because the man was gay.

Dave
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:45:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Confirmed, she was an EX-POSTAL employee.  She did better then a lot of guys that have gone postal.  At least body count wise.  I always wondered how they can hold a shop full of people hostage and then only kill 1 or 2 after trying to shoot them all.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:50:25 AM EDT
[#17]
On a side note...  Coretta Scott King is also dead,  that should divert the MSM's attention to this.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:01:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:02:42 AM EDT
[#19]
That's it I had it.  They should ban postal workers.  They don't have this problem with FEDEX or UPS.

JK, this is a terrible incident.  Comes to show that you can ban assault rifles and such but you can't keep people from doing terrible things.

God Bless those injured and killed.

Max
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:03:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Yep, it was the lead story on most Dallas stations at 6am but the announcement of Mrs King's death has already bumped it out of the news.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:04:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:10:34 AM EDT
[#22]
... Hmmmm

"One of the deceased appeared to have suffered a self-inflicted gunshot wound," he said. "We have concluded the search inside, and we do not believe there is any further threat to the community."

... How can this statement be made when California politicians refuse to allow law abiding citizens arm themselves with concealed weapons if they choose?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:18:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Damn,what the fuck is it with postal employees going on killing sprees at their place of employment ? Seriously,I don't get it.

If I ever decide to go "postal" ,I will take a concealed position overlooking the "bad part" of town with about 1000 rounds taking well aimed shots at the dredges of society.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:19:02 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

... How can this statement be made when California politicians refuse to allow law abiding citizens arm themselves with concealed weapons if they choose?

Easily....Politicians couldnt give less than a shit about citizens, their rights, or their well being. Politicians care about one thing...themselves. Hope this clears up the mystery.
Incidentally, I have turned down job offers in CA solely because of the gun laws.
Same with NYC.

A lucrative position with a high salary means nothing to me without my right to carry.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:40:24 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Damn,what the fuck is it with postal employees going on killing sprees at their place of employment ? Seriously,I don't get it.

If I ever decide to go "postal" ,I will take a concealed position overlooking the "bad part" of town with about 1000 rounds taking well aimed shots at the dredges of society.

The problem with the PO is that in larger cities at least, the people from your "bad part of town" work there. Here in the Detroit it is pretty damned Urban in our Suburban post offices. You meet the nice ones at the counter, the less nice ones in back are the ones you have to look out for. Hoodrats and ghetto Goblins to be sure.

Dave
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:47:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Absolutely. Nightshift clerks, mailhandlers attract a LOT of
dirtbags and retards. Repetative motion, same daily task, makes people nuts too.
I retired early after 20 years. Too many losers and drug addicts.
PO promotes from within due to lack of interest from the  public.
Lots of unqualified people in charge with no leadership skills.
They tend to exploit or prey on weak individuals and lots of favoritism, nepotism.
PO needs help internally. Unfortunately, privatizing will make things worse.
Glad I left.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:50:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Tagged for the weapon.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:06:44 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Woo boy, that's great.  Wow.

And we wonder why people are trying to ban guns.

/golfclap
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:09:07 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
... Hmmmm

"One of the deceased appeared to have suffered a self-inflicted gunshot wound," he said. "We have concluded the search inside, and we do not believe there is any further threat to the community."

They were postal workers.

As such, Federal regs would have prohibited their carrying of firearms.

This one can't really be blamed on Kali.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:26:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Let's see, a 10 day waiting period didn't help, serial numbered ammo wouldn't help, super duper trigger lock, firing pin safety & mag disconnect wouldn't have helped, biometric lock wouldn't have helped, 10 round mags didn't help, registration wouldn't help. Hmmm, what legislation will they dream up next?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:30:16 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
"assault weapon"!

Why must people use this term?
They are rifles.
They all have the same out come.  Whatever type of caliber. (They go bang)
The only difference are looks.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:29:47 AM EDT
[#32]

Better arm yourself next time you go to the post office...

www.thegunzone.com/rkba/rtc-usps.html

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:45:55 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
dirtbags and retards. Repetative motion, same daily task, makes people nuts too.
They tend to exploit or prey on weak individuals and lots of favoritism, nepotism.
Glad I left.

I have heard that repeatedly from researchers that study violence at the workplace - that a HUGE problem at the post office is often really incompetent supervisors, who are total assholes and piss off the employees.

I'm sure the explanation is much more complex, as you pointed out - but that seems to be a very common complaint in many post office facilities.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:07:23 AM EDT
[#34]
Boy the news media got hit with the Alito confirmation, Coretta King's death, and this.  I take no joy in this shooting but this shooting is way too low-key and subdued.  This shooting doesn't conform to the typical news media stereo-type of a disgruntled male shooter.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:08:55 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Confirmed, she was an EX-POSTAL employee.  She did better then a lot of guys that have gone postal.  At least body count wise.  I always wondered how they can hold a shop full of people hostage and then only kill 1 or 2 after trying to shoot them all.

Wow. Do you have any sense of decency or respect?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:17:31 AM EDT
[#36]
tagged for the weapon usd.
So far "Unknown".
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:23:28 AM EDT
[#37]
Just the other night were I work a postal guy comes in to make a purchase.

The first thing I notice about thuis guy is that he has not shaved for about three or four days.

His uniform pants appear to have missed many a washing and there is a hole about the size of a quarter about an inch under one of his back pockets.

His shirt tail was out and as he approched my regester I could see he was in no mood for chit-chat.

I am usually pretty open with my customers and like to pull their leg and have fun now and again but this dude sent out a warning signal by the look in his eyes that any playing around on my part should be avoided for sure.

He said nothing during the transaction and never made eye contact with me with those eyes that I would assume come from being in a state of anger and depression over a long period of time.

Talk about a typical steriotype of a ''going postal'' canadate.

I also assume at that hour of night he is not a carrier but a mail handler at a local distribution center or post office.

Anyways kind of freaky.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:34:46 AM EDT
[#38]
and it was a woman right?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:45:05 AM EDT
[#39]
Gun Control costs 6 more live, if any one other law-abiding person in her wake was caring it would have ended sooner; I bet there was a "no gun on premises policy"
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:49:27 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow. Do you have any sense of decency or respect?

ARDOC said the same thing I was thinking.
If she was limited to a 10 round magazine, she did extremely well.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:12:42 AM EDT
[#41]
Like I said I used to work there.
I knew one of the victims. She just started that tour recently.
Thats sad. If she was on her old tour she would have been driving to work
during the time of the shooting. Still can't get the offender's name yet.
Even my contact does not know yet. The place is crawling with Federal Heat.
Plant will be shut down for approx 48hrs.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:18:50 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

You've forgotten about the original "Mr. Postal" ..Of course he was an ex-Marine so his shooting was probably a little better than average. It shook us up pretty bad.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Sherrill

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:41:55 AM EDT
[#43]

FBI and US postal investigators are shown at the scene of multiple-fatality shooting at a mail processing facility in Goleta, Calif.,
Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006. In one of the deadliest postal shooting in 20 years, a female former employee killed
six people and critically wounded another before committing suicide at a mail processing plant,
Santa Barbara County Sheriff Jim Anderson said Tuesday. Santa Fe New Mexican
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:51:24 AM EDT
[#44]
OK I finally found, after scanning 30 articles, a mention of the type of weapon.

The woman had been employed at the plant more than two years ago and was armed with a 9mm handgun "and reloaded at least once during her rampage," Anderson said.

The man stating this is Santa Barbara County Sheriff Jim Anderson.

Complete article: Here

Or below:

Ex-postal employee kills five, commits suicide at SoCal mail plant

By TIM MOLLOY

The Associated Press

GOLETA

A woman who killed herself and five employees in one of the deadliest postal shootings in 20 years was a former employee who reportedly reloaded as she went into the building shooting, sheriff's officials said Tuesday.

The woman, whose identity was not released, managed to get inside the fenced and guarded Santa Barbara Processing and Distribution Center shortly after 9 p.m. Monday and opened fire, Santa Barbara County Sheriff Jim Anderson said.

Sheriff's deputies found two people dead in the parking lot, one just inside the main building and others inside, including the woman, who had an apparent self-inflicted wound, Anderson said.

One woman was hospitalized in critical condition.

About 80 workers were evacuated.

The woman had been employed at the plant more than two years ago and
was armed with a 9mm handgun "and reloaded at least once during her rampage," Anderson said.

It was one of the deadliest postal shootings since a string of high-profile cases in the mid '80s and early '90s, including one in which a part-time letter carrier killed 14 people in Edmond, Okla., before taking his own life.

Published: Tuesday, January 31, 2006 11:13 PST
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:52:31 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
i1.tinypic.com/mwea8o.jpg

i1.tinypic.com/mwe845.jpg
FBI and US postal investigators are shown at the scene of multiple-fatality shooting at a mail processing facility in Goleta, Calif.,
Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006. In one of the deadliest postal shooting in 20 years, a female former employee killed
six people and critically wounded another before committing suicide at a mail processing plant,

Is it me or are those agents all dressed alike?
Check the frumpy chick with the pony tail
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:57:14 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Glad I left.

I retired from the PO in '98 and this, above, is the honest to Gods truth.  The PO basicly takes any and all people who can pass the test.  The unions will protect the worst workers. Glad to be out.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:03:26 AM EDT
[#47]

The woman had been employed at the plant more than two years ago and was armed with a 9mm handgun "and reloaded at least once during her rampage," Anderson said.

And I was going to bet "Glock Foh-Tay". I might still be half right by the looks of it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:12:40 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:
"assault weapon"!

Why must people use this term?
They are rifles.
They all have the same out come.  Whatever type of caliber. (They go bang)
The only difference are looks.

Because I live in California.  I know better than anyone that they are the same thing.  But when somone uses something  that "resembles a military firearm" aka "assault weapon " in a massacre here in California, something gets banned.  

Perhaps you didn't notice that I put it in quotes.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:19:09 AM EDT
[#49]

There is some kind of black irony here that this would happen in one of the states with the most restrictive gun laws.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:30:13 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
i1.tinypic.com/mwea8o.jpg

i1.tinypic.com/mwe845.jpg

That scene needs just a few more feds standing around with their hands in their pockets.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top