Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/20/2001 9:33:40 PM EDT
well guys I just got robbed and the folling items where taken.
1) Colt M16
2) Mossburg 500 shotgun
every thing else was left.
1) H&K Compact 45
2) Ruger Mini 14
This is the part that sucks my nephew says he was home at the time. And says nobody came in.
Guys I'm feeling like crap.
Link Posted: 2/20/2001 9:38:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I am speechless.  Did you have insurance?
Link Posted: 2/20/2001 9:38:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Hold on the nephew "says" he was home?  I'd dig a little deeper if I were you.  I feel your pain, nothing worse than some worthless peice of $hit coming in and taking something that you worked hard for.[:(]
I wonder if whoever took that M-16 knows the penalty for possession of a stolen NFA weapon?
Link Posted: 2/20/2001 9:40:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Good luck. There is a 99 percent chance the
thief is someone you know or your family
members know. There is a high probability
he (or she) has been in your house BEFORE.
But think about that selection....a Mossburg
500 over a Mini....or a HK?
Hope you get it back.
Link Posted: 2/20/2001 9:43:21 PM EDT
[#4]
If you don't see any entry points it has to be an inside job.  Some one who knows of your stash.

I feel your pain.
good luck

Link Posted: 2/20/2001 9:59:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I see a safe in the future for Muddog.

NO SLACK!
Link Posted: 2/20/2001 10:02:09 PM EDT
[#6]
A friend of mine just got robbed too.

One of the weapons stolen was a HK94.
What the hell is this world comming to?

That is one painful loss.

Link Posted: 2/20/2001 10:16:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I agree with the inside job scenario. Someone knew you had guns, and knew where you kept them. Your nephew needs to provide some MAJOR explaining.

If guns were the ONLY thing stolen, it was DEFINATELY an inside job. Jewbait is right, I'd bet anything you know the person and they've been inside before.

Again, talk to your nephew, being home during a robbery with no idea it's happening is unlikely.
Link Posted: 2/20/2001 10:25:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/20/2001 10:27:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Guys you are all right my nephew knows but he's not saying a thing. He knows who took them. I forgot to put this in my first post the room where the guns were stolen is where we said he was all day on my computer. It will all come out some day and I pray that I get my guns back.
Link Posted: 2/20/2001 10:31:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Not telling you how to raise or treat kids but this looks like a job for the old belt.

This is a tough one too because its not your kid.

Hope you get them back.

Good luck
Link Posted: 2/20/2001 10:32:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Have the local LEO put pressure on the nephew as an accompliss to the crime. Sounds like the nephew is a WPOS. Those are serious weapons that were stolen and this should be your primary concern right now. Take off from work if need be. When the nephew is actually in cuffs and pressured , he will give it up.
Link Posted: 2/20/2001 10:38:17 PM EDT
[#12]
You'll "find out some day"?

I'd want to find out YESTERDAY if I were you.

If I had guns stolen, and I knew someone who knew who did it, I'd get it out of them, trust me.

Do whatever it takes, because if those guns turn up at some sort of "scene", you're in DEEP sh!t.
Link Posted: 2/20/2001 10:51:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Your nephew needs a serious attitude adjustment.  If he wants to protect a f'ing thief more than a relative he is seriously screwed in the head. I would boot his ass out and disown him. I hope the cops grill him for a few hours.
Link Posted: 2/20/2001 10:58:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/20/2001 11:00:49 PM EDT
[#15]
[>(]  
Link Posted: 2/21/2001 1:24:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Are you sure that your nephew didn't take them himself?  If I were you I would press charges against the nephew.  If he didn't do it, he would probably squeal under the pressure.
Link Posted: 2/21/2001 1:56:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Ditto to what everyone else said.  The cops should be able to make him talk if you go to them.  If not, BEAT it out of him.  [pissed]
Link Posted: 2/21/2001 3:03:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Remind your Nephew that if someone dies because of those stolen weapons, He Will be Charged as an accy. to murder.
And will very likely become someones girlfriend for a long time.
Link Posted: 2/21/2001 3:16:11 AM EDT
[#19]
WTF?  The nephew hawked them to pay for some online auction crap or a drug habit.
Link Posted: 2/21/2001 3:39:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Call the ATF, tell them your M16 was stolen, and you have an accomplice in custody. (your nephew) I bet the ATF will do a lot better job then the local boys will.  Did you tell the local boys it was a FA M16?

Kharn
Link Posted: 2/21/2001 4:04:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Being robbed sucks big time.   Did you have your guns in any type of safe?  I'm guessing no, because then you would know who besides youself had the combination.   Sorry, but having a Class III and not having a safe is right on the verge of being stupid. [V]  I hope you get your guns back.   Buy a safe in the meantime.

Link Posted: 2/21/2001 4:46:51 AM EDT
[#22]
I know all too well how you feel, 4 years ago I was where you are now. Came home after church to a house turned upsidedown. To date no weapons have been found even though they have all sn #'s. To top it all the pd didn't try to find who did it. I wish you well.
Link Posted: 2/21/2001 4:53:37 AM EDT
[#23]
No family member of mine would do that.  I suggest that your "nephew" is no,longerv a member of your family.  Make sure his perents know all about it.  And the police.  Make sure that the little punk knows exactly what he traded: a POS loser friend for his family.

Fuck him.
Link Posted: 2/21/2001 4:54:58 AM EDT
[#24]
I posted this on Phil in Seattle's thread about his stolen guns.  Fellas, ya gotta lock yer-chit up!!!  Muddy, I am really sorry man.

Something for us all to think about:

In a June 2000 study entitled "Gun Availability and Violent Crime," done by Stolzenburg and D'Alessio; they came up with the following (among other things):

"The results of the study reveal that illegal (stolen) gun availability strongly influences violent crime levels. As the stolen gun rate increases, the violent crime rate also rises."

"We found virtually no evidence that legitimate gun availability influenced the violent crime rate or crimes committed with a gun."

In a nutshell, if someone has a stolen gun, it will likely be a criminal who will use it inappropriately, thereby causing the violent crime rates in the area to rise. That gun may be used many times in order to effect many crimes.

I just hope the cops can find your guns before some A-hole uses them on somebody. The last thing we want is for an assault rifle to be used in a crime. Especially against an LEO (who cares if a gang-banger shoots up another GB).

[:I]
Link Posted: 2/21/2001 5:19:00 AM EDT
[#25]
[b]NOTICE[/B]

if none of you here have a strong gun safe,
this is your warning !!! if your stuff gets stolen,
from here on out [b]ITS YOUR OWN FAULT ![/b]
you have been warned.

after i baught my AR,my first gun, i the first thing i thought was, where can i get a GOOD safe.

i would have the cops look at your nephew.
they will get it out of them, the longer you wait the less likely you will get them back.
Link Posted: 2/21/2001 5:19:40 AM EDT
[#26]
I would suggest taking your nephew out for a nice long drive on a secluded country back road.  Then bust out the HK and 14 and scare the piss out of that wpos.  Tell him that if he doesn't give up the guns you're going to make him wish he had taken them all.  Maybe load the guns in front of him for the added effect....

BTW...how old is this nephew?
Link Posted: 2/21/2001 5:26:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Muddog, my condolences.  I hope your M16 and shotgun get returned to you promptly and in good condition.

Please keep us posted.  I'm very interested to know what kind of interest the federal LE agencies (ATF and/or FBI) take in a case involving a stolen NFA weapon.  I know the FBI rigorously investigates M16s missing from military bases, but of course that's government property.

Ditto what others have said about notifying the BATF promptly.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 2/21/2001 5:44:44 AM EDT
[#28]
If you don't have a safe and/or a home alarm, you cannot afford any more guns or ammo.

Get your priorities straight people.

As for the nephew, don't feel bad about having him arrested, he didn't feel bad about bending you over.  Let the cops shake him up AND kick him out if he doesn't break.
Link Posted: 2/21/2001 5:50:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/21/2001 5:53:20 AM EDT
[#30]
MudDog,
I think what would piss me off more than anything is how stupid your nephew seems to think you are. He must think that you are one of the biggest idiots in the world!
Link Posted: 2/21/2001 5:56:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Ah man, I would be extremely bummed losing a registered FA M16!

Remind his parents that their son helped commit a felony, and he may wind up being responsible for people losing their lives.

What did they have to say about it??
Link Posted: 2/21/2001 6:05:18 AM EDT
[#32]
I had a stupid little Derringer that was stolen from a car. I reported it and a few months later it was recovered by the coppers from a gangsta. He did use it on a person, but the victim didn`t die.
The pasadena police, in all they`re wisdom chose 2:30 in the morning on a tuesday to come knocking on my door to tell me I could come to the courthouse and get my property back. I asked the cop why didnt they come at a reasonable hour, he said they were busy. I asked why didnt they call me on the phone, he said, huh?  
So out of all my ASSAULT WEAPONS the only gun to draw blood is the lowly Derringer.
Link Posted: 2/21/2001 6:14:41 AM EDT
[#33]
No offense but...
What the hell kind of "nephew" do you have?  I understand the whole family thing but this is pretty damned serious.  Certainly you're not going to be satisfied with finding out "someday".  I'd have him thrown in jail until he gave up the info, after disowning him.
Link Posted: 2/21/2001 6:19:23 AM EDT
[#34]
Thanks guys, I just got done talking to the neighbors and they told me that someone did show up at my place that my nephew knows. So the police are going to talk to them today. And to tell everybody my ex-nephew is 18 years old.
The only reason they were not in the gun safe was me & my wife were out shooting and when we got home her dad called and said her mom was is the hospital. I though they would be safe with him for 3hrs. Man I never though a family member would do this to me.
Link Posted: 2/21/2001 7:13:06 AM EDT
[#35]
The nephew knows who did it because it's probably him!
Link Posted: 2/21/2001 7:59:03 AM EDT
[#36]
This is REALLY pizzing off!  Anyone out there have step kids?  This has never happened to me, but I fear it may.  I beat it (not literally) into my wife's head on a weekly basis that I DO NOT want any of the kid's low life friends even knowing where we live. I'm learning that teens are very easily distracted and influenced.  Although my step kids have never been into any trouble, I can see it coming.  Simply based on the recent change in who they hang out with, their entire attitudes are taking a dive. Skaters!  I absolutely have nothing illegal to hide in my home, but what I worked long and hard to acquire is mine! If I were you Mud, things would change big time around my home.
Link Posted: 2/21/2001 9:07:56 AM EDT
[#37]
Muddog: DON'T settle for just getting your stuff back.  Press charges against your nephew for stealing an NFA weapon (or let the ATF know that he was an accomplice, whatever it takes).  He's gotta learn that his actions have consequences at some point in his life, and this sure seems like the time.

Kharn
Link Posted: 2/21/2001 9:08:49 AM EDT
[#38]
Muddog, please keep us updated.

What the hell is this world coming to?  Where FAMILY has such utter disregard for it's members, where kids do what ever the hell they want?

Man, our society is really screwed up.  This little bastard probably was egged on by more influential members of his circle to give up the guns.  Where the hell did he learn this was okay behavior?

This kind of crap makes me fear the future.  We are truly in the last days of Babylon, where our "live for today" and "without consequences" attitudes will finally catch up with us.

God help us all.
Link Posted: 2/21/2001 10:04:06 AM EDT
[#39]
My condolences Mud but there is a bigger issue here that is just below the surface. Your piece of shit nephew needs to get his just rewards, whatever that may be but...the negative publicity that this brings to us NFA weapons owners is my bigger concern. If this happens a couple of times throughout the US, and don't think it couldn't, all of us NFA owners could pay the price. Your nephew would never understand this but you could help him feel all of our pain for the potential of this.
Link Posted: 2/21/2001 10:29:05 AM EDT
[#40]
This is what I would do in this case:

1-I'd dig a little deeper if I were you

2-nephew knows but he's not saying a thing press charges against the nephew. If he didn't do it, he would probably squeal under the pressure.

3- Call the ATF, tell them your M16 was stolen, and you have an accomplice in custody. (your nephew) I bet the ATF will do a lot better job then the local boys will. Did you tell the local boys it was a FA M16?

4-Remind your Nephew that if someone dies because of those stolen weapons, He Will be Charged as an accy. to murder.

5-Don't feel sorry, act quickly.

I am sorry about you loss.

karlozg

Link Posted: 2/21/2001 10:54:33 AM EDT
[#41]
How much is a good safe going for now?

The thing that worries me about a safe is that once a criminal sees it they might reliaze that there are valuable guns in there and might come back.

Are there any safes that could somehow be small enough to be concealed, but still hold several rifles?
Link Posted: 2/21/2001 11:40:26 AM EDT
[#42]
I will keep everybody updated. I'm just glad I have all my guns insured, the little bastard don't think he'll get into trouble. But what he don't understand is it's not just one NFA but two. The mossburg had a 14in barrel if he goes to jail I'm not going to cry one bit.
Link Posted: 2/21/2001 11:51:52 AM EDT
[#43]
I don't know if I'd bring the ATF in just yet.  Now you NFA types clear this up for me, if you lose control or possession of an NFA weapon it could be forfiet.  I read something about this on subguns one time, but can't remember if this is the case or not.  Anyone know for sure?
Link Posted: 2/21/2001 12:06:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Muddog,
Is there a reason your nephew hasn't been arrested yet?  If you have a witness that says someone he knows showed up, he was in the house for the 3 hours, and your firearms are missing, it sounds like enough evidence to have him arrested and at least taken in for questioning.  If you have any reservations about taking such aggressive action against him, just think about how your really expensive firearms are being treated.
Link Posted: 2/21/2001 12:24:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 2/21/2001 12:29:10 PM EDT
[#46]
See if you can get the phone records for the time period when you were gone. The idiot probably called the crook to tell him to come over because the guns were there and you weren't.

By the way, what are his parents saying about the incident? I hope they aren't taking his side and trying to make you out to be the bad guy for "owning those kinds of guns".
Link Posted: 2/21/2001 2:51:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Start by making a list of everyone that knew about those guns......
I was under the impression that all class 3 weapons had to be locked up all the time
Link Posted: 2/21/2001 3:05:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Let us know how the thing turns out , MUDDOG . I am anxious to see who did it and if the firearms are still in the shape they left in .
Link Posted: 2/21/2001 3:56:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Imbrog|io:
See if you can get the phone records for the time period when you were gone. The idiot probably called the crook to tell him to come over because the guns were there and you weren't.

By the way, what are his parents saying about the incident? I hope they aren't taking his side and trying to make you out to be the bad guy for "owning those kinds of guns".
View Quote

Good point.....
Link Posted: 2/21/2001 4:19:07 PM EDT
[#50]
I believe that if your Class 3 weapon is stolen, you are required by Federal law to report it to the BATF.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top