Our federal deficit  is the largest in the world - $ 8,191,856,566,874

Our Trade imbalance is projected to reach $337,000,000,000 this year

According to the CIA, we represent 70% of the World's debt:

Rank    Country      Debt - external

Date of Information 30 June 2005 est.

1 World $ 12,700,000,000,000 2004 est.

2 United States $ 8,837,000,000,000

3 United Kingdom $ 7,107,000,000,000

America has become more debt-dependent - - than ever before with total debt of $40 trillion, or $136,479 per man, woman and child

How long can the party last?   Don't know - but at some point, the United States is bankrupt if we can't change course.

IF we do go insolvent, does the World have a Right to foreclose?   What would that entail?   Seizing US assets?   Sending in troops to repo our country?

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:13:44 AM EDT
[#1]
It would entail a massive economic collapse of the entire world economy right now.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:13:55 AM EDT
[#2]
If the rest of the world called in our notes, we would be screwed.  Short of threatening to nuke the rest of the planet, we would cease to exist.  Japan, China, and most of Europe would own us.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:14:45 AM EDT
[#3]
yeah sure, take your best shot!
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:16:37 AM EDT
[#4]
We are the world's biggest consumers. Might be a bad idea to bankrupt your customers.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:17:25 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
If the rest of the world called in our notes, we would be screwed.  Short of threatening to nuke the rest of the planet, we would cease to exist.  Japan, China, and most of Europe would own us.

and now who would buy the goods/services that those countries produce?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:19:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, but look at the Brits, per capita. I'll have my portion of the US debt paid off 234 years before Vito will his.

UH, how come the sum of the US and Brits is more than the world total?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:32:08 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Yeah, but look at the Brits, per capita. I'll have my portion of the US debt paid off 234 years before Vito will his.

UH, how come the sum of the US and Brits is more than the world total?

Da vig man da vig!
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:32:49 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
It would entail a massive economic collapse of the entire world economy right now.

Timing wouldn't matter. That has been true for the last 50 years and will be true from now until the forseeable(sp?) future.

No, fuck no, they can't foreclose on us.

If times got that bad. We will go take by force what we needed (natural resources like oil) and rebuild our economy. We would elect a strong leader, plunge the World into war, blame someone else, and be top dog again.

That would be my vote anyway.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:33:41 AM EDT
[#9]

Don't worry -- If they did that, they'd have to take their hands out of our pockets first.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:39:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Considering all the US has done for this world... winning 2 World Wars, the rebuilding of Japan & Europe, holding the Soviets at bay and winning the Cold War, unending poverty & famine & disaster relief throughout the globe....we don't owe them shit.  They OWE us their endless thanks, humility, and submission.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:43:34 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Considering all the US has done for this world... winning 2 World Wars, the rebuilding of Japan & Europe, holding the Soviets at bay and winning the Cold War, unending poverty & famine & disaster relief throughout the globe....we don't owe them shit.  They OWE us their endless thanks, humility, and submission.

No shit

rj
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:45:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Maybe we can get Bono to stump for us.  Please, they are so broke, please forgive their debt....

not holding my breath.

TXL
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:45:41 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Considering that for every person we helped, we kicked someones ass to give that helping hand, I would think there are a lot that would like to see us fall. ( Germans, Soviets, Japanese, Korea...and various shit holes around the world)

That is why I support our military and want to be able to kick the fuck out of everybody else combined.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:46:34 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

+1 and we should own France and Germany by now
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:47:58 AM EDT
[#15]
A foreclosure requires a sheriff.  We are the sheriff.

Also, all of our debts are in dollars.  We can always print more money to pay those debts (at the cost of some inflation).  It is like lending money to Hasbro, and allowing Hasbro to pay you back in Monopoly money.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:48:03 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Timing wouldn't matter. That has been true for the last 50 years and will be true from now until the forseeable(sp?) future.

No, fuck no, they can't foreclose on us.

If times got that bad. We will go take by force what we needed (natural resources like oil) and rebuild our economy. We would elect a strong leader, plunge the World into war, blame someone else, and be top dog again.

That would be my vote anyway.

America - FUCK YEAH!
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:48:14 AM EDT
[#17]
We can inflate our way out of debt anytime we want.  The government could simply issue $4 trillion and pay off the debt, and it would be completely, 100% legal.  All we really have to do is stop the debt from growing, and the normal inflation (2-3% per year historically) will make it go away eventually.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:49:25 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

AMEN, brother!

PREACH IT!
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:49:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Our debt still only represents less than 1/3 of our GNP.

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:51:40 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Only if we can make France a trailer park!
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:51:43 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

That is why I support our military and want to be able to kick the fuck out of everybody else combined.

Well, amongst other reasons.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:53:56 AM EDT
[#22]
How about we start by recalling the aid our GOVERNMENT gives to Africa for AIDS research and medicine.  The money our government gave for the tsunami.

Maybe we could tell Japan, Germany and Vietnam that any old war debts are null and void.

We could tell Mexico, and all the 3rd world Latin American countries that we are going to live up to our aid packages etc....

Maybe when we reel in all our extensions, that we have given the world, or financial picture might look a little better, huh?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:57:05 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, amongst other reasons.

Snipping that takes it out of context.

Context was that some countries don't like us, no matter how much we have  helped them.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:00:49 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

How long can the party last?   Don't know - but at some point, the United States is bankrupt if we can't change course.

IF we do go insolvent, does the World have a Right to foreclose?   What would that entail?   Seizing US assets?   Sending in troops to repo our country?

The party isn't going to last too much longer.  Once countries start ditching the dollar for other currency we are screwed.  

With all the outsourcing and losing of decent jobs I give it 5 years or less until we are in a world of hurt.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:09:26 AM EDT
[#25]

Our Trade imbalance is projected to reach $337,000,000,000 this year

According to the CIA, we represent 70% of the World's debt

There is your answer.  If the US goes under, what will the rest of the world do with all the extra stuff?  That would be $337 Billion in surplus goods with no buyers.  Global economic meltdown...  total chaos...  dogs and cats living together in harmony...  
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:11:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:13:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:18:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Yeah, but how much does the world owe us. There are plenty of countries who also owe us a hell of a lot of money, which we let pass year after year.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:23:24 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
A foreclosure requires a sheriff.  We are the sheriff.

Also, all of our debts are in dollars.  We can always print more money to pay those debts (at the cost of some inflation).  It is like lending money to Hasbro, and allowing Hasbro to pay you back in Monopoly money.

+1
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:25:23 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
You guys are funny.

You guy even know what is the make up of the trade deficit??? Or what makes up the Federal Deficit???

Read up on it......

You know when you start your on personal budget.
Let's say you budget $10 a day for lunch or $50 a week.
One day, you spent $12 or for that week you spent $52
You are now running $2 deficit on your budget. So you need to curve your spending next week. If you don't this deficit continues.
Now this is YOUR budget. Not what you can afford.

The federal deficit is simply the amount of money the federal .gov takes in minus expendatures.
It is not our budget. We also over spend our budget. It takes Congress to authorize it but they do it all the time.

That's the basics. The country budget is more involved due to reserves(not reported BTW), borrowing refinancing, taxes and other "favors" we do for other countries.

Deficit basically means we are out of balance. Not on track. It does not mean we are bankrupt.

That is for sure. But it is not wise to continue to overspend. I don't care who you are. Reagan was right. There should be a balanced budget amendment plain and simple.

Now the trade deficit will hurt our business more so than the government. However, with the shift in our economy away from manufacturing, this is really not much cause for alarm just yet.

I respectfully submit that if business suffers EVERYONE suffers including especially the .gov
ETA....you're right the .gov won't suffer they will just continue to spend more than they "make"  What was I thinking?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:28:46 AM EDT
[#31]
I'm insolvent but none of my creditors may legally foreclose on any of my accounts. Insolvency of a debtor does not necessarily give a creditor a right to file suit or seize assets.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:29:15 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

True,BUT how many of those countries actually are going to remember all that? Sad to say but also true is the fact that most of the countries we've helped at one time or another hate us.
I say ,if the world decides to collect,let em try. See what happens.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:29:38 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:30:21 AM EDT
[#34]
Why doesn't Bono help us then?

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:32:24 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Only if we can make France a trailer park!

Yeah they already have enough trash to populate it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:33:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Are we sticking it to the rest of the world

or

are we sticking it to ourselves?

I'd guess that if we weren't the little busybodies that we are the rest of the world would be in chaos pretty quick.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:34:18 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
You are now running $2 deficit on your budget. So you need to curve your spending next week. If you don't this deficit continues.

Poor analogy.

Try this one:

Your Income is $40000 take home per year

Your budget is $40000 take home per year

You spent $440000 last year, putting $4000 on credit cards

You spend $470000 this year, putting $7000 on credit cards

with interest, you are now $15867 in debt.

You continue this, year after year........
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:35:54 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I wonld not say endless.  After 2 thouand years, those alive won't care about the US.  Do you care much of Rome?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:36:46 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Poor analogy.

Try this one:

Your Income is $40000 take home per year

Your budget is $40000 take home per year

You spent $440000 last year, putting $4000 on credit cards

You spend $470000 this year, putting $7000 on credit cards

with interest, you are now $15867 in debt.

You continue this, year after year........

I think it's your analogy that is poor.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:37:43 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I'm insolvent but none of my creditors may legally foreclose on any of my accounts. Insolvency of a debtor does not necessarily give a creditor a right to file suit or seize assets.

Apple meet an orange.

I don't think I would like to take my chances on a "world court" bankrupty judge's opinion over how to split up Texas.

Of course YMMV.

PS I don't think this is going to happen we are pretty damned strong finacially. If we are plunged into economic chaos the rest of the world will have been in front of us.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:45:17 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:47:11 AM EDT
[#42]
Most of this debt is debt we owe to each other, it’s not like all the debt is held by overseas companies.

That being said, we’ve got to do something.

Our Government is spending money like crazy and most of it goes to social programs. The average American really has no idea of just how Government money is spent as proven by the nods of agreement you’ll get when you say something like, “We need to stop spending all our money on foreign aid and space research and spend it at home.”

Don’t take my word for it though, go look up the US Budget and see for yourselves.

What’s happened is that we’ve gotten ourselves into a viscous circle.

The governments (Feds and state.) start programs to help out the truly needy. But they have to tax people to pay for it. These taxes drive more people into poverty so the governments spend more money, driving more people into poverty…

And most Americans expect to be able to afford a few of the nice things in life but the tax burden means they have to borrow money to get them.

Meanwhile, the increased taxes and regulations on business drive production overseas. This lowers the wages the average man can earn reducing the tax base and increasing the demand for social programs.

Then the credit laws make it possible for banks to trap people in debt forever with their 21% interest rates (plus penalties and fees.)

Viscous circles tend to accelerate rapidly until they reach their inevitable end and I’m afraid we are headed to the end of this one. Something will give and it probably won’t be pretty. I would expect a round of hyperinflation like Germany went through between the wars. That will cure the debt problem by wiping out everyone’s savings.

Or worse, the government could tie consumer debt to the rate of inflation. Our savings would disappear but our debt wouldn’t.

There are things the Government could do to break out of this viscous circle and prevent this crisis. But I don’t have much hope that our elected officials will figure out what to do.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:49:28 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

How much of that debt is actually money this country owes to other countries? And of that money how many times over would it be paid if we started collected what other countires owe or should owe this country?

Is debt and deficit the same thing in this context or is debt what we owe other countries and deficit what we "owe ourselves" thanks to irresponsible spending by our "leaders"?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:49:42 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

This is the important bit.

The US government can never go bankrupt, as it can always print money and pay off the debts that way.

Now, that would ruin not just the national, but the entire global economy, so I don't see anything so drastic as that happening any time soon.

The point is that worst case scenario, the economy is totally ruined for some time due to massive inflation, but no one would 'own' us.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:51:15 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

YOUR ANALOGY IS WRONG IN THIS CASE. WE ARE NOT TALKING ABOUT DEBT AS IN CREDIT CARDS. THE DEFICIT DOES NOT ACCRUE INTEREST!!

What the HELL are you talking about?

We BORROW money to finance our budget  deficit by issuing BONDS.   These bonds pay INTEREST.
'

What are these "Reserves" you speak of?   Raiding Social Security?  That pot is drying up.

Our "Federal Reserve" is neither Federal, nor a Reserve.

Our "Reserves" are comprised of a checkbook where we make up money from thin air.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:54:14 AM EDT
[#46]
has anyone ever heard of the balance of payments (BOP) account? yeah we have a large "trade" deficit.... also known as the US "current account" what do we know about the "capital" account, though?

if the trade deficit happened to be overwhelming our economy, our currency rates would be falling faster than zimbabwe's after expropriation
-----------------

sure, our trade deficit is large, but even though we are a net importer of goods (a deficit balance in the trade account), we also have a surplus in foreign investment to offset the trade deficit.

-just an opinion, what do ya'll think?

furthermore, the government also keeps a reserve account called the "change in official reserves" such as holding currencies in reserve
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:55:10 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

. THE DEFICIT DOES NOT ACCRUE INTEREST!!

Really, why does it take appox. 15% of the .gov income to pay the interest on the debt......that you think doesn't even exist.

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:56:46 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
has anyone ever heard of the balance of payments (BOP) account? yeah we have a large "trade" deficit.... also known as the US "current account" what do we know about the "capital" account, though?

if the trade deficit happened to be overwhelming our economy, our currency rates would be falling faster than zimbabwe's after expropriation
-----------------

sure, our trade deficit is large, but even though we are a net importer of goods (a deficit balance in the trade account), we also have a surplus in foreign investment to offset the trade deficit.

-just an opinion, what do ya'll think?

Rank Order - Current account balance

CIA World Fact Book

1 Japan $ 158,300,000,000 2005 est.

2 China $ 129,100,000,000 2005 est.

3 Germany $ 119,800,000,000 2005 est.

149 United States $ -829,100,000,000 2005 est.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:57:08 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Apple meet an orange.

I don't think I would like to take my chances on a "world court" bankrupty judge's opinion over how to split up Texas.

*shrug*

I can cite legal authority for the proposition that a creditor cannot take legal action against a debtor who has not breached his obligations relative to agreements with his creditors. Legally speaking, I am unaware of any authority that would suggest that the proposed contingency is even a remote possibility.

As a practical matter, I suppose that nothing prohibits the Sultan of Umbabamaumau from crying to some purported world judicial authority and said authority issuing some absurd proclamation wholly unsupported in law. Then the question then becomes one of practicality. Obviously, I'm not qualified to speak on the topic of a U.N. invasion for the pruposes of debt enforcement. I'm no history professor so I'm having a tough time coming up with modern examples that would suggest that such a possiblity is anything more than unfounded postulation.

As we all know, however, the U.N. is largely impotent when dealing with ANY nation that flouts U.N. authority. I would, however, suggest that debt enforcement need not take such a radical form. The United States has assets abroad in many forms. I would suggest that sanctions and seizure of assets abroad would come long before any fanciful invasion and fencing off of the oil fields in Texas as part of some fairytale foreclosure. I think that such a discussion is patently absurd. With that, I will show myself out.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:03:09 AM EDT
[#50]
Let them try to foreclose on me...

Molon Labe!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top