Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/26/2006 5:51:57 AM EDT
So my chief is trying to make a new policy that doesnt allow guys to dip while on duty.  Almost all of us dip and its the only way we can make it through a 12 hour shift, ecspecially on slow nights.

How many of you guys dip, LEO or not?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:56:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:12:54 AM EDT
[#2]
i "think" we have a policy of no smoking on duty...   not on your breaks... lunch....   or even on your way HOME in your own car...    i think its not while in uniform period..

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 11:34:20 AM EDT
[#3]
For the most part, if we go inside someones house on a complaint the dip comes out, that is just commen sense.  He gets pissed cuz officers leave their chew bottles in the cruisers after a shift.  Well i have my own personal car and ill admit i leave my chew bottle in the car, but the car comes home with me and no one but my K-9 gets in the car.  I will admit on some traffic stops, i will leave my dip in, but other than that I use some common sense.

Our chief is just really anal, and he makes a big deal about officers not wipping their boots off.  Anything he can find to complain about he does.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 11:35:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 11:37:32 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Patch:

Or start smoking.

Could never do it, hate it
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 11:41:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 11:48:06 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Then its time to start on the patch and get the nicotine out of your system.

Well if the chief made us stop, i would have no problem quitting, well at work atleast
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 11:59:18 AM EDT
[#8]
I dipped for about 5yrs. Quit cold turkey when I got married. If you want to quit you can do it, and I hope you do.

Back to original question....to this day 5years later I still crave a dip when I have to drive anywhere for more than a couple of hours.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 12:08:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Get him to start.  When we got our new chief (my old Capt) he told his wife if he got it he would quit. He got it so we all had to stop. he
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 12:09:41 PM EDT
[#10]
What was the movie where the old country sherrif get blown out of a building, lands on his back then looks up and says "I swalloed my chaw!"

I dip occasionally. I also smoke a little too.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 12:13:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Been dip free now for 20 weeks and hate every minute of it, esp. when on the road or working in shitty weather.  Teeth are whiter gums are better and I don't have to worry about the teeth falling out or getting cancer.  Do yourself a favor and quit.  Use the money you save to buy more guns.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 12:14:18 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Then its time to start on the patch and get the nicotine out of your system.

Well if the chief made us stop, i would have no problem quitting, well at work atleast

It's not the nicotine, it's the habbit. The nicotine is out of your system within 72 hours of your last smoke/chew.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 12:16:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Kodiak Wintergreen

When I'm mowing the lawn or in the mornings on the crapper reading the latest swill out of a "Combat Weapons"

nothing beats it.
(dipping while taking a dump that is)
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 12:19:45 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Been dip free now for 20 weeks and hate every minute of it, esp. when on the road or working in shitty weather.  Teeth are whiter gums are better and I don't have to worry about the teeth falling out or getting cancer.  Do yourself a favor and quit.  Use the money you save to buy more guns.

Quit Dec 1, hating every second of it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 12:28:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Go with the skoal pouches, I can dip them all day and not spit.

But, it's don't matter.  Only 2 people dip where I work, out of about 75.

Me, and the CEO.

Yeah, we have both bummed dips from each other.

TXL
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 12:29:44 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quit Dec 1, hating every second of it.

Good job man keep it up.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 12:46:10 PM EDT
[#17]
I curious to find out if I can dip when I start my job at the prison.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 12:54:36 PM EDT
[#18]
I thought this thread had something to do with "Dancing with the Stars."

Dipping is nasty to those who don't dip. I, however, dip. I also don't ride in a car all day with someone else.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 1:10:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Sunflower seeds.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 2:23:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Redman rocks, and no one here cares cause everyone dips.

In fact i have a chaw in right now
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 2:33:09 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
So my chief is trying to make a new policy that doesnt allow guys to dip while on duty.  Almost all of us dip and its the only way we can make it through a 12 hour shift, ecspecially on slow nights.

This is pathetic, to be honest.

For a full year I worked two full time jobs, back to back shifts, on three to four hours of sleep per day, and rarely had a problem. Didn't need dip, coffee, or anything else to get through it, just bucked up and did it.

Not knocking dipping. You want to dip, that's great. Go at it, enjoy it. I've had a dip here and there, myself. But to claim that you are unable to work a 12 hour shift because you won't be allowed to dip?

That's pretty sad.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 2:42:51 PM EDT
[#22]
No public servant should be seen dipping or smoking in uniform. It's looks very unprofessional.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 2:43:52 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Sunflower seeds.

+1

You hold them in your cheek just like dip, they dont cause cancer, and people dont think they're gross.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 2:52:26 PM EDT
[#24]
I disagree with anyone who say it's the habit and not the nicotine.  I could care less how I get it, as long as I get it.  Nicotine's worse than heroin....and more expensive now to boot.

I've quit several times for months at a time by chewing nicorette gum.  I usually go through twice as much as they say you should.  When people ask, I tell them that it keeps me from killing people but it doesn't make me happy.  That's about the best way to describe it.  It gives me the nicotine I need but I don't enjoy it half as much as a good dip-o-Kodiak.  It frustrates me that I am as dependent as I am on a chemical but the few times I've tried to go without I've had friends and fanily offer to go buy me some.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 2:53:48 PM EDT
[#25]
it's a rather nasty habit, that looks extremely unproffessional

take this oppurtinity to quit
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 3:16:46 PM EDT
[#26]
I quit smoking but kept dipping. Tried to quit that too. I tried the patches and the gum and they didn't work for me. The lozenges, though, work great. Each one lasts 30 minutes and gives you all the nicotine you need. Then you just taper off. The only problem is that they are too damn expensive ($40 per box).
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 3:19:36 PM EDT
[#27]
... Chewed for years, just got tired of the nasty habit and quit

... Never even think about it anymore
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 3:25:33 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
No public servant should be seen dipping or smoking in uniform. It's looks very unprofessional.

+10,000.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 3:32:17 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is pathetic, to be honest.

For a full year I worked two full time jobs, back to back shifts, on three to four hours of sleep per day, and rarely had a problem. Didn't need dip, coffee, or anything else to get through it, just bucked up and did it.

Not knocking dipping. You want to dip, that's great. Go at it, enjoy it. I've had a dip here and there, myself. But to claim that you are unable to work a 12 hour shift because you won't be allowed to dip?

That's pretty sad. hinking.gif

I bow down to you. Mister perfect. I bet you don't have any vices.
Let ye who is free of sin cast the first stone.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 3:42:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Dipped for years now while at work.  The Admin. doesn't have a problem with all of us dippin but they do have a problem when chew spit is layered on the side of the cars.  So what is your Admin.'s concern to implement a policy?  Is it public image? Health freak?  Sounds like if all the guys at work dip then maybe you need to have a sit down with the Admin.  and talk about this issue, if possible to satisfy a common goal.

Anyway, good luck!
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:42:01 PM EDT
[#31]
I've dipped for years but few know it.  I don't chew in other people's cars, in front of my wife or co-workers.  Mostly, because it's just plain nasty.  I don't shit in front of others either but I like doing both.  I can chew all too often without leaving spit cups for others or spitting in front of others and they don't breath second-hand smoke.  Just show some respect for others.  And I do intend to quit some day.  I've quit smoking and quit drinking coffee when the moment struck me.  The moment will come and I'll just stop because I know it's just bad.  Lent is coming.  Who knows.  Not me.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:22:35 PM EDT
[#32]
I chewed for a while when I was in the Corps and when I first got to college.  Trust me, anyone who's tried to stay up for a 0300 radio watch knows what sort of crazy crap that you'll try.  I quit roughly ten years ago, haven't looked back.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:30:54 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Dipped for years now while at work.  The Admin. doesn't have a problem with all of us dippin but they do have a problem when chew spit is layered on the side of the cars.  So what is your Admin.'s concern to implement a policy?  Is it public image? Health freak?  Sounds like if all the guys at work dip then maybe you need to have a sit down with the Admin.  and talk about this issue, if possible to satisfy a common goal.

Anyway, good luck!

The only reason he has a problem with it is because he honestly likes to bitch about everything, and he hasnt given us any reason why
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:43:38 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I've dipped for years but few know it.  I don't chew in other people's cars, in front of my wife or co-workers.  Mostly, because it's just plain nasty.  I don't shit in front of others either but I like doing both.  I can chew all too often without leaving spit cups for others or spitting in front of others and they don't breath second-hand smoke.  Just show some respect for others.  And I do intend to quit some day.  I've quit smoking and quit drinking coffee when the moment struck me.  The moment will come and I'll just stop because I know it's just bad.  Lent is coming.  Who knows.  Not me.

I like your attitude.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:52:51 PM EDT
[#35]
The only thing worse than a rude swaggering thick-accent-that-you-can't-understand traffic cop giving you a hard time is one to spits black crap everywhere while he's doing it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:53:20 PM EDT
[#36]
of all the nasty habits that exist.

chewing tobacco is the worst.

i have spent more money than you (the original poster) make in a year, trying to keep my friggin' teeth in my head.  

i look at it this way, when you're 50 y.o.a. and i'm 65 y.o.a., and we're both talking to the same 45 y.o.a. babe at the bar, i'm leaving with her because your either wearing dentures, or your teeth look like some one took a crap in your mouth.

reality bites.

tobacco sucks.  

get real, chucky....

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 4:28:33 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
i look at it this way, when you're 50 y.o.a. and i'm 65 y.o.a., and we're both talking to the same 45 y.o.a. babe at the bar, i'm leaving with her because your either wearing dentures, or your teeth look like some one took a crap in your mouth.

Ugh, if this is what I have to look forward to, I'm dying young.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 4:45:45 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I try not to get addicted to any one thing, especially something that is so dangerous to your health
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top