Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/8/2001 8:55:55 PM EDT
I received a Winchester M1 "A" condition receiver from CMP which appears to have been part of a rifle built in September 1942. How do these compare with Springfields? Is it worth using to build a rifle? I was thinking of sending it off to Fulton Armory, but they are a little high (even though I hear their quality is outstanding). Does anyone know of someone who can build a rifle for a little less?
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 8:57:48 PM EDT
[#1]
the CMP sells receivers ONLY now?
the winchester ones are probably a bit more valuable than the SA's, you really wont find a bad all original WW2 garand/reciever
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 8:59:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I've seen some good remarks about these guys on the Garand forums:

[url]http://www.m1garandrifle.com[/url]
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 9:01:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 9:05:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
the CMP sells receivers ONLY now?
the winchester ones are probably a bit more valuable than the SA's, you really wont find a bad all original WW2 garand/reciever
View Quote

I'm pretty sure that those receivers are in addition to there regular rifles.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 10:52:57 PM EDT
[#5]
You can buy up to 4 receivers, or barreled receivers, a year for $250 each. I ordered it along with two service grade rifles, but they sell them separately.

Sh*t, how go you get Winchester parts? And are they all stamped WRA or something like that?

It is cool in that you can see the tool marks on it. Looks like it was hand polished. I guess they didn't have CNC in those days. he he
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 11:29:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 4:09:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've seen some good remarks about these guys on the Garand forums:

[url]http://www.m1garandrifle.com[/url]
View Quote

Yep Orion 7 does good work.[url]http://www.m1garandrifle.com[/url]

If you send the rifle to FultonArmory, you'll be [b]waiting a long long time.[/b]
The only difficult part is installing and headspacing the barrel. Everything else is easy.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 4:50:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I received a Winchester M1 "A" condition receiver from CMP which appears to have been part of a rifle built in September 1942. How do these compare with Springfields? Is it worth using to build a rifle? I was thinking of sending it off to Fulton Armory, but they are a little high (even though I hear their quality is outstanding). Does anyone know of someone who can build a rifle for a little less?
View Quote
It is a piece of junk, no good, and you should send to me so I can properly dispose of it for you.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 6:58:22 AM EDT
[#9]
I agree with Larry, it is a piece of junk.  However, if you send it to me, I'll pay the postage.  [:D]

SRM
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 7:18:09 AM EDT
[#10]
In all honesty, the only knock that WWII Winchesters took was that the final machining wasn't very thorough on many of their assembled parts, including receivers. That being said, I have a '43 Winchester that is very smooth and nice looking.

I can't recommend Orion 7 enough for Garand work. You'll be very happy if you let them finish it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 8:33:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Winchester was never able to match the quality of the Springfields. They are however more sought after by collectors, I assume because fewer were made than the Springfields. It may be worth slightly more than a Springfield receiver by itself but not much more. Build it and be happy with your piece of history or search the boards for a collector who is building a correct Winchester. I wouldn't try to build one like that myself, you would probably end up paying more than the rifle would be worth.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 9:08:38 AM EDT
[#12]
LarryG and SRM are correct. It is junk of the worst kind.

Send it to me and I too will pay the postage and I'll throw in....say, $50 for your trouble. [;)]

I have had Orion7 rebarrel my M1. I had very a good experience with them and expect you will too.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 9:38:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Sh*t, how go you get Winchester parts? And are they all stamped WRA or something like that?

It is cool in that you can see the tool marks on it. Looks like it was hand polished. I guess they didn't have CNC in those days. he he
View Quote

If you intend to build a Garand with all Winchester parts, bring a really big wad of cash. WRA parts are a lot more expensive than SA parts. Winchester only made Garands during the WW2 years, a little scarce, parts demand a premium. Quite a few of the Danish Garands have WRA parts and/or receivers.

I have two Winchester M1 Garands. One is an arsenal rebuild w/1952 SA barrel, the rest of the parts are mostly WRA.

The other is a stripped receiver. I have all of the WRA parts to put together a complete Winchester (except the stock and handguards).

I'm embarrassed to say how much I paid for the WRA barrel. More than a lot of complete rifles. I have seen excellent quality original Winchester wood go for over $700.00.

The SA, Beretta, HR, IHC and Danish parts are actually better looking and cheaper. However, there is something about the look of an all WRA rifle that sets them apart.

Winchester used a slightly different parkerizing process that makes the finish appear slightly greenish. And the stocks are heavier in the grip area and a little bit more substantial.

Orion 7 is one of the best. Also Mel Bishop has been recommended to me.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 11:47:18 PM EDT
[#14]
That Orion deal sounds like a winner. I'll skip the WRA parts -- too rich for my blood.

Does that guy build complete rifles from stripped receivers? I looked at his web site and got the impression he does rifle rebuilds. No mention of using HIS parts.
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 4:18:17 AM EDT
[#15]
He will build you a rifle from your CMP receiver. I see him when I go shooting and he alsways asks me how my garand is shooting. He never avoids me. He rebarreled my SA Garand. I put some glass bedding in it and at 200 yards she is right on with the talon LC brass. Great gun and great service from orion. If I get some cash one day I would like a garand with a laminated birch stock. I will definately buy it from orion and not think twice about that. Good luck and don't be hesitant to use tony(orion).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top