Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2001 4:43:05 AM EDT
Good, Bad or Indiferent? I say no-go. A simple peacefule situation to a male officer can cause a Female to "Fear for her life" and draw possibly shoot. What is you opinion?
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 5:27:26 AM EDT
[#1]
ADTECHARMS,
Of the all the sergeants that I've worked for, the one I respect and trust the most is a female. She stands about 5'2" and probably doesn't weight over 115lbs.. This lady made it through a period of time during the late 80's to mid 90's that I call the "Crack Wars". A tough time to be a cop. Yet her reputation with other veteran offices was solid. I've seen damn good female cops, and I've seen some that were less than ideal (such at the former top leo- J. Reno). I can say the exact same thing regarding male officers.
Mike
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 5:48:59 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd have to agree with leoAR...I've seen some top notch cops (male AND female) and some pretty damn pathetic do-nothing cops (male AND female)[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/Waverunner%2Fnypd%5F02%2Ejpg[/img][img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/Waverunner%2FAR15Car%2EJPG[/img]

Link Posted: 8/8/2001 6:16:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 6:28:52 AM EDT
[#4]
A few years back, I might have agreed.  In my old hometown there was a woman who sued to get onto the police force.  She couldn't perform and was fired.  Sued again and was rehired.  She eventually quit as most of the town thought she was a joke.

Since then I have met many, many female officers who are exceptional.

It all comes down to the person and their abilities.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 6:32:04 AM EDT
[#5]
My wife is a cop.  She was the #1 choice on the list of picks for the position at the city we live in.  She graduated top of her police academy, is the best shot out of her class, one of the best at the dept., is damn better looking than the male cops, has a Master's degree, has a level head, and has met & exceeded the expectations of the board that hired her & the FTOs that trained her.

She certainly has the respect of her fellow officers...and mine.

She was not always a cop; has only been one for one year & is loving her new career at the age of 30.

I know she a better cop than the trigger happy male cop that pulled me over & threatened to shoot me....he was certainly more "fearful" than my wife would have been...enough so to call in two other units to take of little ole me.

I think its a good idea for females to be in whatever profession they feel they are up to....just like males may choose to do whatever they wish.

Discrimination is an ugly thing.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 7:13:42 AM EDT
[#6]
A police officer is not a military combatant.  They are just doing a job like any other civilian.  The best cop is very capable at de-escalation.  Anyone who can talk a situation into a calm is right for the job.  80% of the job is just ticket writing and paperwork anyway.  I see no reason against it.  Planerench out.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 11:05:34 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't care what sex they are, as long as they can get the job done. I was riding with a guy who got pulled over by NHP and the female officer was one of the most polite I have ever met. She didn't freak out or lecture me about having a CCW either, which I have faced several times with male cops. Not all policework involves kicking in doors, rassling felons, or high speed chases. Sometimes, a woman might be the right man for the job.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 11:19:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Frisk away ladies [:D]  honestly, if she can do the job, sure.  If she can't, get rid of her, and the same goes for any cops that have retired early and are still coming to work.
To the good cops, my hat is off,
Ice
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 11:54:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Its bad enough a officer gets pissed off from all the idiots he pulls over, add PMS and menstrual cramps to that, and I get the feeling you get mistreated.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 1:37:40 PM EDT
[#10]
I wouldn't be so quick to play the PMS card...  Males bring their own idiosyncracies to situations.  I'm not suggesting anything improper, I'm just saying that some males may let something minor go if the offender is an attractive member of the fairer sex, where females may be less prone to do so.

I have to agree with Planerench's principle that LEO's are civilians, doing a non-military job.  Women have every right to be doing it, and can do as fine a job as a man.

Are females permitted to be members of SWAT teams?  I would suspect not, as the same principle that excludes them from infantry (PR issues mostly) still apply.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 2:15:50 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't have a problem with women cops.

I am opposed to women in combat arms of the military.

Certainly, women cops will have more trouble with some aspects of the job. But they may make up for it by doing better at other aspects.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 8:33:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 8:35:28 PM EDT
[#13]
If they cant fight in the military or be drafted, why should they be cops?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top