Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2006 9:58:55 PM EDT
Found an 8 oz. can buried in the back of the pantry (been there a couple of years I guess) and happen to have some sliced pastrami and rye bread so a reuben sandwich was sounding good. The can was kind of bulging and when I punctured it on the electric can opener juice shot out everywhere and there are some small black spots on the inside wall of the can . MAybe the bulging can just means it has gotten ripe. It smells and looks like sauerkraut so what do yall think, give it a chance ? There isn't an expiration date on the can so how bad could cabbage and salt really get ?  
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:59:37 PM EDT
[#1]
The real question is "can canned saurkraut ever be good?"
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:00:07 PM EDT
[#2]
How would you know if it were bad?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:01:39 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Found an 8 oz. can buried in the back of the pantry (been there a couple of years I guess) and happen to have some sliced pastrami and rye bread so a reuben sandwich was sounding good. The can was kind of bulging and when I punctured it on the electric can opener juice shot out everywhere and there are some small black spots on the inside wall of the can . MAybe the bulging can just means it has gotten ripe. It smells and looks like sauerkraut so what do yall think, give it a chance ? There isn't an expiration date on the can so how bad could cabbage and salt really get ?  

I wouldn't eat it.  Probably gas expansion form some sort of reaction causing it to bulge... (A guess..)

Go to the store and buy some new stuff.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:01:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I once heard of a can of saurkraut holding up a gas station, so yes, they can go bad...
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:03:46 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wouldn't eat it.  Probably gas expansion form some sort of reaction causing it to bulge... (A guess..)

Go to the store and buy some new stuff.

Aren't gas expansion and consuming cabbage kind of the same thing after it is all said and done anyway ?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:05:36 PM EDT
[#6]
This is a test of darwinian merit.

pssst: don't eat it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:05:51 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Aren't gas expansion and consuming cabbage kind of the same thing after it is all said and done anyway ?

I say it's revenge when the wife isn't in a giving mood
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:07:09 PM EDT
[#8]

Go on - I double-dog dare you.  

I ate some salad dressing out of my wife's fridge last week that had expired seven months ago, and I feel fine.  

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:08:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I can't get any worse
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:09:43 PM EDT
[#10]
It was rotten, fermented cabbage when they canned it.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:10:23 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

+1

Maybe it actually tastes better now.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:11:37 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Maybe it actually tastes better now.  

Hmmm... Maybe I should start thinking of a new german beer....

Smelly Cabbage Ale....

Goes great with Brats and Mustard.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:12:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Its in a can, that means its good forever
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:14:42 PM EDT
[#14]
On an unrelated topic,  how can you tell if a bagpipe player sucks?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:16:32 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I once heard of a can of saurkraut holding up a gas station, so yes, they can go bad...

Yeah I remember hearing about that one.........

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:24:26 PM EDT
[#16]
mhmm botulism
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:30:48 PM EDT
[#17]
According to our friends with the USDA:

"While extremely rare, a toxin produced by Clostridium botulinum is the worst danger in canned foods. NEVER USE food from containers that show signs of “botulism”: leaking, bulging, rusting, or badly dented cans; cracked jars; jars with loose or bulging lids; canned food with a foul odor; or any container that spurts liquid when opening. DO NOT TASTE THIS FOOD! Even the tiniest amount of botulinum toxin can be deadly."

Do you feel lucky??
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:39:26 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

"While extremely rare, a toxin produced by Clostridium botulinum is the worst danger in canned foods. NEVER USE food from containers that show signs of “botulism”: leaking, bulging, rusting, or badly dented cans; cracked jars; jars with loose or bulging lids; canned food with a foul odor; or any container that spurts liquid when opening. DO NOT TASTE THIS FOOD! Even the tiniest amount of botulinum toxin can be deadly."

Do you feel lucky??

I'll take "things you don't see printed on the side of a sauerkraut can" for 100, alex!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:42:36 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
How would you know if it were bad?

I was just thinking the same thing.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:51:44 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Do you feel lucky??

uhoh, should have waited a few more minutes and read this before I made my sandwich
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:00:32 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you feel lucky??

uhoh, should have waited a few more minutes and read this before I made my sandwich

Been nice knowing you.

Can I have your guns?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:31:29 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you feel lucky??

Been nice knowing you.

Can I have your guns?

Just got a little indigestion right now, I'll leave you all my Wolf ammo, how about that ?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:35:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Tagged for outcome... or whatever comes out.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:56:55 PM EDT
[#24]
If the can has bulged, it's gone bad.

However, sauerkraut has gone bad, even before they put it in a can.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:12:03 AM EDT
[#25]
I have no opinion as to whether one should eat old Kraut or not, (I eat it all the time and I'm still here)

Off topic: Since I do love Kraut, would you think that I might be able to eat Korean Kimchee??? Are they similar??? (serious question)....
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:18:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Eat old Kraut? Yuk!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:06:50 AM EDT
[#27]
I'd get rid of it if I were you.  A friend of mine had a similar situation - an old can of sauerkraut in the back of a pantry.  Unfortunately, he wasn't as lucky or diligent as you, and did not find it in time.  It burst!  What a mess and smell.  Yours is already on the way.  you can ferment it some more until it bursts, or do the smart thing - use gloves, too.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:09:22 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Tagged for outcome... or whatever comes out.

Well it's 10 hours later and there aren't any ill effects. Maybe the rotten cabbage just produces it's own gas naturally and any can of kraut will eventually start to innocently bulge and build pressure if given enough time. Still got half a can left, gonna make another sandwich for lunch.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:10:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Meh, I just ate a can of soup that expired November 2004.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:12:20 AM EDT
[#30]
sure, its always tasted bad to me.

MLW>"<
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:15:28 AM EDT
[#31]
If the can is bulged or pierced, don't eat it.

I just saw on THC the other day where one of Perry's cans of food was found in the Arctic after 118 years. It was open and fed to a cat, which suffered no ill effects.

As for those poo-pooing saurkraut, how ELSE does a civilized person eat a hotdog?

Mustard and kraut ONLY is a basic requirement! It's right up there with NYC being the only place on earth with REAL pizza and the best-tasting tap water in the world!
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:19:03 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Do you feel lucky??

Cool.  Botox!!!

Don't eat it, LANCEMAN.  Sell that shit to some wrinkly rich women.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:30:04 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

". NEVER USE food from containers that show signs of ; canned food with a foul odor;

It sounds to me like ALL sauerkraut is veddy veddy bad.  

They used to serve this for lunch at the elementary school I went to and I bet most of it went into the garbage.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:43:52 AM EDT
[#34]
If you aren't dead by now you're gonna be fine. Probably a Desulfo species of microbe. It produced hydrogen sulfide gas (the bulging). The black spots were the colonies. They are some of the more heat resistant species. Nothing to worry about.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:13:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Bulging can= so much mold growing on the inside that the pressure pushed it out.

Don't eat it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:27:43 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Bulging can= so much mold growing on the inside that the pressure pushed it out.

Don't eat it.

Yup, Bulging can = Bad
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:33:54 PM EDT
[#37]
So much sodium in canned sauerkraut it is hard for it to grow mold. Likely the can was just beat up a bit.

A hot dog is just extruded entrails without a healthy dose of sauerkraut to top it off.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:40:32 PM EDT
[#38]
The absolute worst smell I've ever come across is a can of cat food that exploded in a store I worked in.  It was a nightmare getting the smell out of the store.

I agree that Darwin is calling you if you proceed to eat this.  It is just sauerkraut after all.  There's not much that's cheaper in a can for human consumption.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:47:34 PM EDT
[#39]
You gotta be kiddin'.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top