Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/5/2006 11:06:48 AM EDT

Joined Netflix a few months ago and got their two at a time service. I preferred them to Blockbuster online because they had more in stock and Netflix had a local mailing office, which meant a one day wait instead of 2-3 days for Blockbsuter's Dallas office. First 6 weeks or so everything went fine..I admit I was an enthusiastic user which meant I often sent the movie back the same day I got it.  I was happy with their service and it always took one day to receive/send back a movie until about mid December when movies started taking 2-3 days to reach me..I chalked it up to holiday traffic but after Christmas the problem persisted until none of the movies arrived on time..in one case they claimed online they shipped a movie to me and received it back from me (I Never Got it)
 So I figured Netflix was pulling something because of my "enthusiatic" usage. I go to Google and sure enough tons of hits from people with the same problem.

www.acmetech.com/shopping/movies/netflix-class-action-suit.php
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:13:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Man are you getting F'ed in the A!

I get all the dvd movies I want, and never pay a penny. Check out your local library.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:18:10 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I get all the dvd movies I want, and never pay a penny. Check out your local library.

+1 on that.  The library is the place to go.  I have been to a few libraries that don't carry movies though.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:20:35 PM EDT
[#3]
My county's library system doesn't carry DVD movies, or any videos save certain educational ones.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:23:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Tagged because the wife just got this for one of my Christmas gifts.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:27:47 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I was an enthusiastic user which meant I often sent the movie back the same day I got it.  

so your burning copies, huh
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:28:06 PM EDT
[#6]
It's easy for Netflix to blame the mail when there's no record of when the actually ship or receive an item. It's bulk processed by the post office so they just count # of pieces in and out and bill netflix accordingly.

I've had good luck their processing center is 25 miles away. My stuff is 1 day 90% of the time.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:28:46 PM EDT
[#7]
So they lost the class action suit, but are continuing the same activity?  You need to report this to all of the appropriate agencies, to include your state attorney general.  

Get some!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:29:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I've had the same results.  When first signing up they were Johnny on the spot with my movies.  And now I find they are getting slower and slower.  I used to have a 1 or 2 day turn around, now it seems to be taking 3, 4, 5 days to get my movies.

I bet it's a ploy to get subscribers to pony up to the plans that allow you more rentals at one time just so they can get more money out of you.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:33:47 PM EDT
[#9]
I've had good results, but I live in Austin and ship movies to either Austin or Houston, so service has in general been very fast.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:37:32 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I've had good results, but I live in Austin and ship movies to either Austin or Houston, so service has in general been very fast.

I live in OKC and they have a shipping center here..It should be 1 day
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:38:39 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I was an enthusiastic user which meant I often sent the movie back the same day I got it.  

Whatchoo talkin 'bout Willis?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:41:32 PM EDT
[#12]
I've heard nothing but bad about those services. I'm steering clear.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:44:41 PM EDT
[#13]
gonna re-up for another month then cancel as usual, I've noticed this trend last time I was with them.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:48:31 PM EDT
[#14]
If you really feel that they're cheating you, you could cheat back.

Say one out of every 10 or so that they send to you gets "lost in the mail".

I haven't had any probelms with them yet.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:50:18 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Joined Netflix a few months ago and got their two at a time service. I preferred them to Blockbuster online because they had more in stock and Netflix had a local mailing office, which meant a one day wait instead of 2-3 days for Blockbsuter's Dallas office. First 6 weeks or so everything went fine..I admit I was an enthusiastic user which meant I often sent the movie back the same day I got it.  I was happy with their service and it always took one day to receive/send back a movie until about mid December when movies started taking 2-3 days to reach me..I chalked it up to holiday traffic but after Christmas the problem persisted until none of the movies arrived on time..in one case they claimed online they shipped a movie to me and received it back from me (I Never Got it)
 So I figured Netflix was pulling something because of my "enthusiatic" usage. I go to Google and sure enough tons of hits from people with the same problem.

www.acmetech.com/shopping/movies/netflix-class-action-suit.php

I am sorry . . . but that class action suit is a recruiting program for Netflix.  They will get more subscribers than if they were doing advo.  Same old trick . . . join and get 1 month free!!!  Don't like it?  Just call and cancel!!!

50% will not remember to call and cancel.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:50:24 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I've had the same results.  When first signing up they were Johnny on the spot with my movies.  And now I find they are getting slower and slower.  I used to have a 1 or 2 day turn around, now it seems to be taking 3, 4, 5 days to get my movies.

I bet it's a ploy to get subscribers to pony up to the plans that allow you more rentals at one time just so they can get more money out of you.

Had the same thing happen so I cancelled my Netflix and went over to Blockbuster Online.  Now I think they're doing the same thing.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:50:24 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
So they lost the class action suit, but are continuing the same activity?  You need to report this to all of the appropriate agencies, to include your state attorney general.  

Get some!

They have a blurb when you sign up now that they'll slow you down if you're a heavy user in order to "be fair" to the people who only get a couple movies a month. They claim slowing you up makes sure that movies are in stock for these people when they need them.

eta:

Q: How does Netflix process and ship DVDs?
A: We receive rental returns Monday through Friday, except holidays. We process nearly 100% of returns the same day we receive them. When we check-in a return, an e-mail is automatically and promptly sent to you to let you know that we have received your DVD.

Our goal is to ship you the DVDs listed highest in your Queue. We try to ship you DVDs from the distribution center closest to you so that you get movies quickly. Often, on the same day that we receive a DVD from you, we will ship the next available DVD from your Queue. In certain instances, your next available DVD will not ship until at least one business day following our receipt of your returned movie. This can occur, for example, when your top choices are not available to you from your closest distribution center or the number of shipments to be processed by the distribution center on that day has been exceeded. When this happens, your DVD will likely ship on the next business day and may come from an alternate distribution center.

In determining priority for shipping and inventory allocation, we give priority to those members who receive the fewest DVDs through our service. As a result, those members who receive the most movies may experience that (i) the shipment of their next available DVDs occurs at least one business day following return of their previously viewed movie, (ii) delivery takes longer, as the shipments may not be processed from their local distribution center and (iii) they receive movies lower in their Queue more often than our other members. By prioritizing this way, we help assure a balanced experience for all our members. Those that rent a lot of movies get a great value and those with lighter viewing habits are able to count on our service to meet their limited needs.

When we ship you another DVD we automatically and promptly send you an e-mail letting you know that it's on the way and telling you the estimated arrival date.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:53:13 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Man are you getting F'ed in the A!

Sure, if you want every version of Pride and Prejudice ever made.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:53:45 PM EDT
[#19]
I have been with Netflix since pretty much the beginning of Netflix.  Never had a problem with them at all.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:57:36 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Get some!

They have a blurb when you sign up now that they'll slow you down if you're a heavy user in order to "be fair" to the people who only get a couple movies a month. They claim slowing you up makes sure that movies are in stock for these people when they need them.

eta:

Q: How does Netflix process and ship DVDs?
A: We receive rental returns Monday through Friday, except holidays. We process nearly 100% of returns the same day we receive them. When we check-in a return, an e-mail is automatically and promptly sent to you to let you know that we have received your DVD.

Our goal is to ship you the DVDs listed highest in your Queue. We try to ship you DVDs from the distribution center closest to you so that you get movies quickly. Often, on the same day that we receive a DVD from you, we will ship the next available DVD from your Queue. In certain instances, your next available DVD will not ship until at least one business day following our receipt of your returned movie. This can occur, for example, when your top choices are not available to you from your closest distribution center or the number of shipments to be processed by the distribution center on that day has been exceeded. When this happens, your DVD will likely ship on the next business day and may come from an alternate distribution center.

In determining priority for shipping and inventory allocation, we give priority to those members who receive the fewest DVDs through our service. As a result, those members who receive the most movies may experience that (i) the shipment of their next available DVDs occurs at least one business day following return of their previously viewed movie, (ii) delivery takes longer, as the shipments may not be processed from their local distribution center and (iii) they receive movies lower in their Queue more often than our other members. By prioritizing this way, we help assure a balanced experience for all our members. Those that rent a lot of movies get a great value and those with lighter viewing habits are able to count on our service to meet their limited needs.

When we ship you another DVD we automatically and promptly send you an e-mail letting you know that it's on the way and telling you the estimated arrival date.

Its going a little beyond that..they are telling me a movie is shipped but I get it 2-3 days later instead of one (I'm in the same town) Or they will tell me a movie is shipped, then 5 days later they get it back without me ever getting the movie...2 miracles in one transaction!!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:59:29 PM EDT
[#21]
what's fair got to do with it.  You pay for a service. You use service because you get unlimited rentals.  Another person doesn't use it as frequently.  What's unfair about that.....they chose not to use it as often.  Why should that person get any favors?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:59:55 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:Its going a little beyond that..they are telling me a movie is shipped but I get it 2-3 days later instead of one (I'm in the same town) Or they will tell me a movie is shipped, then 5 days later they get it back without me ever getting the movie...2 miracles in one transaction!!

I don't know about your second problem, but the first is covered by

"(ii) delivery takes longer, as the shipments may not be processed from their local distribution center and "

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:00:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Want to know what happens after a "while" with Netflix?
You watch all of the movies you wanted to watch, then you start getting some marginal movies, ones you didn't pay to see at the movies or ones you didn't rent from a DVD rental place.
Then you start getting movies that you would not watch on "free" commercial TV, and at that point you reduce your movie plan and rent only new releases.

I reached that point when I rented Sabrina (1954) and Sabrina (1995) to see the differences between the two.... Yes, I lost man-card points.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:00:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:00:52 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
what's fair got to do with it.  You pay for a service. You use service because you get unlimited rentals.  Another person doesn't use it as frequently.  What's unfair about that.....they chose not to use it as often.  Why should that person get any favors?

I agree with you.

I haven't used netflix for very long, but I bet they added that thing I quoted to their site after the class action suit.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:02:21 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Had the same thing happen so I cancelled my Netflix and went over to Blockbuster Online.  Now I think they're doing the same thing.

I've got BB online.  I'm convinced they do the same thing.  I used to wait  about 2 days between movies.  now it's 4 or 5.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:04:21 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree with you.

I haven't used netflix for very long, but I bet they added that thing I quoted to their site after the class action suit.

They're trying to appease as many of their customers as possible. If you only get four or five a month you'll notice a late one. If you're burning through 20 in a month, what's another day to you?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:05:08 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:Its going a little beyond that..they are telling me a movie is shipped but I get it 2-3 days later instead of one (I'm in the same town) Or they will tell me a movie is shipped, then 5 days later they get it back without me ever getting the movie...2 miracles in one transaction!!

I don't know about your second problem, but the first is covered by

"(ii) delivery takes longer, as the shipments may not be processed from their local distribution center and "

Its says on the envelope what center it came from though..99% of the time its in my city unless the wife orders some obscure chick flick "Bollywood/Hollywood"  that they have to send from Texas.  If there is a short wait I know to take it into account but once they notify me they shipped it it usually took one day..not any more
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:23:23 PM EDT
[#29]
I've had the same problem recently.  I've always been able to time it so I get my new movies for the weekend.  Not anymore, they are never on time now.

I also found that if I return them through the post office of the small town I work in, it takes over a week for them to reach netflix.  It only takes 1-2 days if I send them anywhere else.  That leads me to believe some assclown at the post office is taking them home and watching them.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:44:42 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

You must not have been a member long enough. The first month or so I was getting fast turnaround.

Yeah, it takes only a day to reach their facility to and from Austin, but they take days to send your

movies.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:47:48 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Same here.  with increasing longer waits for new releases.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:51:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Ive been a member for about 7 years  now and have never had a problem.  I really enjoy it a lot more now that they have a center in Dayton. When I first signed up all my movies came from Kailifornia and took 3-4 days, that really puts a crimp on your movie watching!

BKVic
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:57:20 PM EDT
[#33]
They did it to me and I was only with them for a month.  In that month, I recieved 4 DVD's.  They didn't seem too concerned with that.

And that was with a 3 out plan.  

I've been with Blockbuster since last May.  I average around 12 DVD's a month.  Shipping has slowed down quite a bit over the last 3 weeks though.  I only got 8 DVD's in December.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:59:55 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Do your DVD's come out of Atlanta?  Mine do and I've noticed a slowdown over the last month.  I've had to report 2 DVD's missing because of slow shipping time.  The first time I did that, the movie magically showed up the next day.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:04:31 PM EDT
[#35]
I have never had a problem in 2.5 years. I guess it depends on which vender it's coming from. Give Blockbuster a try.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:06:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Oops, double tap
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:02:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:09:16 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I've dumped netflix a few times because of this nonsense. I recently started up again after taking a year off from them. I just checked and they're still claiming to not have received one movie from me, but the other that I put in same mailbox at the same time they did receive-actually I mailed 4 back at once and it's only one day from here to their center, but they claim the 4 movies were each received a day apart. I'm tempted to send them return receipt to see if I can catch them doing it.

Now that would be interesting...My netflix shipping center is in my city..I'd like to find out where it is and start hand delivering the movies back to them
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:14:32 PM EDT
[#39]
the faster you return them the more the loose!
they don't like that, everyone i know that had them dropped them and went back to local video stores.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:19:43 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I have been with Netflix since pretty much the beginning of Netflix.  Never had a problem with them at all.

+1   I have none of these throttling problems. For the six months of using Netflix on the five-out plan, I was averaging 25 DVDs a month. Go figure...
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:22:09 PM EDT
[#41]
I call B.S. on this one.

I get all the movies I want, only takes a day for them to get it and a day for me to get 2 new ones back.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:25:07 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I call B.S. on this one.

I get all the movies I want, only takes a day for them to get it and a day for me to get 2 new ones back.

You are outnumbered..it was that way for me ...for awhile
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:25:09 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They should cancel your membership and sic the Feds on you.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:27:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:28:14 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I call B.S. on this one.

5 months strong...

I heard about this a while back, in the worst case, you still only pay 3 bucks a movie and from a solid choice of 50,000 titles... No one else can do that.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:30:28 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I call B.S. on this one.

5 months strong...

I heard about this a while back, in the worst case, you still only pay 3 bucks a movie and from a solid choice of 50,000 titles... No one else can do that.

True, its still a good deal, I just don't like being lied to by them...how fast do you return your movies?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:35:22 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Based on what? I work nights and am off during the days..My mail comes fairly early so yeah, I can turn a movie around in an afternoon.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:38:23 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I call B.S. on this one.

5 months strong...

True, its still a good deal, I just don't like being lied to by them...how fast do you return your movies?

You don't like being lied to? And you live in America? heh... funny..

I generally send them back a day or two after getting them.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:40:16 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Based on what? I work nights and am off during the days..My mail comes fairly early so yeah, I can turn a movie around in an afternoon.

Based on your winkie acknowledgement that you burn copies and STEAL movies.

Now if you don't do that, I apologize.   If you are stealing movies, well you know what you are........
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:48:13 PM EDT
[#50]
I put two movies in the mail box at the post office on wednesday. They still haven't showed up as returned and they have a shipping center in my city.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top