Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/5/2006 6:59:12 AM EDT
www.wcax.com/Global/story.asp?S=4319605&nav=4QcT

Burlington, Vermont -- January 4, 2005

There was outrage Wednesday when a Vermont judge handed out a 60-day jail sentence to a man who raped a little girl many,many times over a four-year span starting when she was seven.

The judge said he no longer believes in punishment and is more concerned about rehabilitation.

Prosecutors argued that confessed child-rapist Mark Hulett, 34, of Williston deserved at least eight years behind bars for repeatedly raping a littler girl countless times starting when she was seven.

But Judge Edward Cashman disagreed explaining that he no longer believes that punishment works.

"The one message I want to get through is that anger doesn't solve anything. It just corrodes your soul," said Judge Edward Cashman speaking to a packed Burlington courtroom. Most of the on-lookers were related to a young girl who was repeatedly raped by Mark Hulett who was in court to be sentenced.

The sex abuse started when the girl was seven and ended when she was ten. Prosecutors were seeking a sentence of eight to twenty years in prison, in part, as punishment.

"Punishment is a valid purpose," Chittenden Deputy Prosecutor Nicole Andreson argued to Judge Edward Cashman.

"The state recognizes that the court may not agree or subscribe to that method of sentencing but the state does. The state thinks that it is a very important factor for the court to consider," Andreson added.

But Judge Cashman explained that he is more concerned that Hulett receive sex offender treatment as rehabilitation. But under Department of Corrections classification, Hulett is considered a low-risk for re-offense so he does not qualify for in-prison treatment.So the judge sentenced him to just 60 days in prison and then Hulett must complete sex treatment when he gets out or face a possible life sentence.

Judge Cashman also also revealed that he once handed down stiff sentences when he first got on the bench 25 years ago, but he no longer believes in punishment.

"I discovered it accomplishes nothing of value;it doesn't make anything better;it costs us a lot of money; we create a lot of expectation, and we feed on anger,"Cashman explained to the people in the court.

The sentence outraged the victim's family who asked not to be identified.

"I don't like it," the victim's mother,in tears, told Channel 3. "He should pay for what he did to my baby and stop it here. She's not even home with me and he can be home for all this time, and do what he did in my house," she added.

Hulett -- who had been out on bail-- was taken away to start his sentence immediately.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:01:28 AM EDT
[#1]
OMFG!!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:02:21 AM EDT
[#2]
down here, a man was released from prison after he said he's molest more children if released...  he had already admitted to molesting 240 children.  our justice system needs an enima - and soon.  these liberal cock sucking judges need to forget the rehabilitation bullshit, and lay out some justice.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:04:18 AM EDT
[#3]
This judge needs educating about the futility of rehabilitating paedophiles. What a dork.

They need to be locked up indefinately as they will ALWAYS pose a threat to society/children

Taffy
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:05:48 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
This judge needs educating about the futility of rehabilitating paedophiles. What a dork.

They need to be locked STRUNG up indefinately as they will ALWAYS pose a threat to society/children

Taffy

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:14:46 AM EDT
[#5]
I emailed the story to Bill O'Reilly, he has really been cracking down on this sort of thing!

All of you should do the same, the American public needs to be made aware this bullshit!!!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:16:43 AM EDT
[#6]
There's one punishment that is guaranteed to work, every time...
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:18:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Well, if the offender in this case gets capped by the kid's father, you'll have more people whining about how it was murder and wrong.  Just like in the thread about the old marine Keech who shot his ex son in law.  But this fucker deserves a .32 to the back of the neck.

ETA:  This Judge should get his ass a nice jail sentence for not upholding the law.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:19:05 AM EDT
[#8]
SSS.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:20:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Vigalanteism.

It works.

CMOS
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:21:14 AM EDT
[#10]
This guy needs a good ‘ol fashioned tar and feathering.  If punishing people bothers you, you bleeding heart sack of fucking monkey shit, maybe you should find another line of work!

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:22:34 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Well, if the offender in this case gets capped by the kid's father, you'll have more people whining about how it was murder and wrong.  Just like in the thread about the old marine Keech who shot his ex son in law.  But this fucker deserves a .32 to the back of the neck.

He might survive the .32.  
And that would be bad for us.

Think Slingblade

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:23:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Tall tree, short rope for the bastard.  THe judge need to be removed from the bench.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:25:42 AM EDT
[#13]
If I recall correctly there is no rehab for child molesters they have highest recidivism rate of all offenders. +1,000 on tarring and feathering both him and the judge.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:25:51 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He might survive the .32.  
And that would be bad for us.

Think Slingblade

Lets not bring any more attention to gun owners. Use a hammer, ballistic tests prove it's %100 effective where other calibers fail.

ETA: A certain Charlie Daniels song comes to mind.....
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:33:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:33:54 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
If I recall correctly there is no rehab for child molesters they have highest recidivism rate of all offenders. +1,000 on tarring and feathering both him and the judge.

This is often stated as fact, but there is no evidence to back it up.  FBI stats show recidivism rates for sex offenders in general to actually be lower than the rest of the prison population.  Certain sub-categories of sex offenders do have higher rates, though.  IIRC, men who target male children who are not known to them have the highest recidivism rate among sex offenders -- something like 70%.  But the average rate for sex offenders is something like 30%, as compared to other criminals which are about 35%.

I looked this up a while back during a similar discussion.

As for the judge, I think it's illegal for a sitting judge to smoke crack.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:35:40 AM EDT
[#17]
This makes me see red, could you emagine if that was daughter.  If that was my son I know what I would do. Then I would request this judge and be out in 60-days.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:36:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Guess Vermont is going for equality in sentencing. If it had been a woman raping a 7 year old boy she would have just gotten probation and a fat book deal.

Look on the bright side, now the rapist will be an available target sooner.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:53:13 AM EDT
[#19]

The girl got raped by an sick demented pedophile and now the whole family got raped by a sick demented judge.

CoC
4.) Posting comments or links in support of illegal activities including, but not limited to, threats against the life of any living person..."
I suppose that includes saying that both the child rapist and the judge should be impaled and hoisted up on a large sharp spear in the center of town - so I won't say that.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:59:44 AM EDT
[#20]
CoC
4.) Posting comments or links in support of illegal activities including, but not limited to, threats against the life of any living person....Damm ,,,,,I can't say anything!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:03:08 AM EDT
[#21]
If they keep doing this someone needs to step up and SSS
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:03:31 AM EDT
[#22]
i think i am still asleep and im reading this in a nightmare.... 60 days for the rape of a 7 to 10 year old? naw.. cant be true....
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:07:21 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
SSS.

Yep, good one noob.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:08:51 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Look on the bright side, now the rapist will be an available target sooner.

Nobody has the balls to do it.

The punnishment for justice is worse than the punnishment for the crime.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:09:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:12:13 AM EDT
[#26]
I love this country. Thanks Guys
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:12:47 AM EDT
[#27]

Giving mercy to the guilty is cruelty to the innocent.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:13:23 AM EDT
[#28]
what does sss mean
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:14:00 AM EDT
[#29]
It looks like I would be spending some time in jail and a lot of money on a lawyer if I was that little girls father.  Don't worry guys no firearms would be used.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:14:09 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
what does sss mean

its internet badass talk.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:14:52 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
what does sss mean

Shoot, shovel, shut-up.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:16:14 AM EDT
[#32]
figured it was somthing like that just whonted to no forsure
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:17:32 AM EDT
[#33]
Put the judge in jail too.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:18:03 AM EDT
[#34]
This reminds me.  Anyone seen "Things to Do in Denver When You're Dead"?  

"Buckwheats is a whole other animal. A guy orders a buckwheats hit, it just doesn't mean take the guy out, it means take the guy out in the most painful way possible. It means the vic should suffer. Typical buckwheat hit is to shoot a guy up the ass. Yeah, uh, ba-bing. A slug up the ass, you don't die so much as contort for a good 15 minutes, then you die. I imagine it's like crappin' white-hot razor blades."
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:19:31 AM EDT
[#35]
Guess pedophiles have a safe haven now.  I can almost guarantee that the POS will rape another little girl again since rehabilitation doesn't work.  Someone needs to cut off that POS's gonads and shove them down that judge's throat.  I'll bet if that judge's daughter or granddaughter was raped, he wouldn't be advocating rehabilitation.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:20:35 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
This reminds me.  Anyone seen "Things to Do in Denver When You're Dead"?  

"Buckwheats is a whole other animal. A guy orders a buckwheats hit, it just doesn't mean take the guy out, it means take the guy out in the most painful way possible. It means the vic should suffer. Typical buckwheat hit is to shoot a guy up the ass. Yeah, uh, ba-bing. A slug up the ass, you don't die so much as contort for a good 15 minutes, then you die. I imagine it's like crappin' white-hot razor blades."

why?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:20:40 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

ETA:  This Judge should get his ass a nice jail sentence for not upholding the law.

Precisely my thoughts!
Ya know..anybody hurts my kids...they'd best pray the "authorities" find them first...MY justice would definitely be harsher......

OMG that makes me mad!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:21:49 AM EDT
[#38]

ETA: A certain Charlie Daniels song comes to mind.....

+1  I ain't nothin but a simple man either.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:21:58 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I'll bet if that judge's daughter or granddaughter was raped, he wouldn't be advocating rehabilitation.

I bet he would.

Liberalism is a mental disorder.

If you never forget that then everything they do is perfectly understandable in that context.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:22:28 AM EDT
[#40]
This movie was better than most of the crap coming out of Hollywood.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:22:52 AM EDT
[#41]
Would it bo OK to make a general statement that rapists should be castrated and idiot judges should be dragged from the bench with a noose around their neck, since saying the criminal should be castrated like a little pig and the judge should be killed would be against the COC?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:23:33 AM EDT
[#42]
tag so I can email the station from home.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:26:02 AM EDT
[#43]
I guarantee you that Judge Edward Cashman has a home address.

Go walk his neighborhood and let his neighbors know that he LOVES child molesters!

These judges think they are immune to pressure and that they are free to do whatever they want.......time to teach them that they aren't immune!!!!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:26:22 AM EDT
[#44]
I'm not a lawyer but something is wrong here besides the "light" sentence.  There are sentencing guide lines for all criminal offenses.  These guide lines are based on a point system.  There must have been some sort of plea bargain if the judges sentencing is so light.  If not, then the prosectuor will appeal the case and the judges ruling will be overturned and the convicted will be re-sentenced.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:26:58 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Would it bo OK to make a general statement that rapists should be castrated and idiot judges should be dragged from the bench with a noose around their neck, since saying the criminal should be castrated like a little pig and the judge should be killed would be against the COC?

Rapists, like terrorists, are not protected by the COC.

The judge who gave a guy who had been raping a little girl REPEATEDLY only 60 days deserves to be booted from the bench.

He shouldn't be allowed to judge a dog show, much less a kiddie rapist.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:27:19 AM EDT
[#46]
Let's all take a moment to say a prayer for the victim's family...especially her father's firearm handling skills.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:27:40 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:32:35 AM EDT
[#48]
"Hulett, 34,  pled guilty to sexually assaulting a friend's young daughter at least fifty times over a two year period, starting when the little girl was only seven."

Was this the Dad's friend or the Mom's boyfriend.  Either way, I think the parents were negligent.  Some parents don't protect their children because they don't value them.  I would never let my 6 year old son alone with any "friend".  

Then the negligent parents want to rant about the tragedy that they helped create.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:34:59 AM EDT
[#49]
Hey maybe this is a "wink wink" from the judge, get it? ??? He like saying "ok, so you'll just get 60 days, and for the record you live at so-and -so and your full name is "XXXXXXXX" And i further require that you not leave the state or a 25 mile radius of your home and you must keep your house lights on all the time, and you may not possess any weapons or pepper spray at any time etcetc. Like the judge is giving someone the oppotunity to come across this man and give him a good talking to! You know what I'm saying? It's hard to give someone a good talking to when he's locked up and you voice will never make it past security. you know what i'm saying? So you make him stay at home where anyone could come to his house and give him a good talking to. MAybe that's why the judge let him go, ever think of that? OH who the hell am i kidding, that guy is a liberal scum judge who probably molests children HIMSELF!! But then again does that really make him a bad person? Mohammud (PBUH) had sex with a 9 year old girl and he's the greatist human who ever lived!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:36:05 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
 I would never let my 6 year old son alone with any "friend".  

What kind of friends do you have?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top