Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/2/2006 1:45:58 AM EDT
Pledge to carry gun battle across nation
By DAVID SALTONSTALL
DAILY NEWS
CITY HALL BUREAU CHIEF

Once content to rule the city, Mayor Bloomberg yesterday vowed for the first time to go national - with an all-out effort to crack down on illegal gun sales.

With the shooting deaths of two NYPD cops still weighing on the city - and with his confidence as a political player clearly rising - Bloomberg promised in his second term to fight the fight over illegal handguns in every forum that matters.

"We will take our message to Albany, to Washington and to every capital of every state that permits guns to flow freely across its borders," said Bloomberg.

"And to those who distort our laws to aid and abet hardened criminals, know this," he said, punching the air for emphasis. "We will not rest until we secure all of the tools we need to protect New Yorkers from the scourge of illegal guns."

Although Bloomberg has talked before about the need for stricter gun controls, yesterday was the first time he pledged to do battle in individual statehouses throughout the U.S.

The new push underscored the growing sense of urgency in the city surrounding illegal firearms, which helped fuel a 3% increase in shooting victims last year.

But it also reflected a mayor who, after four years of mostly learning the political ropes in New York, is confident enough to take his game to the national level, experts said.

Gun control advocates said that as the Republican mayor of the country's largest city - and one of the GOP's most generous donors - Bloomberg could be uniquely positioned to influence the national gun control debate.

"If he can make an alliance of governors and mayors - particularly Republican governors and mayors - it could greatly help us," said Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.), an author of the Brady Bill, which requires background checks for handgun purchases. "We haven't had a major Republican voice speaking out for gun control in a long time."

No matter what, with a Texas Republican in the White House and the National Rifle Association still among the biggest givers in Congress, it will be an uphill fight, Schumer added.

NRA officials could not be reached for comment yesterday, but Bloomberg is already in the group's sights.

When the mayor talked last month about the need to tighten gun laws after the shooting death of NYPD Officer Dillon Stewart - by a gun stolen in Florida - NRA spokesman Andrew Arulanandam said it was "despicable" for Bloomberg to inject politics into the debate.

Others said Bloomberg's plan to take the fight to states where most of New York's illegal guns originate - with Florida and Georgia being prime culprits - was right on.

"He needs to go to Florida and say, 'You sell thousands of guns that end up on our streets every year, and one of them killed a police officer in New York. What are you going to do about that?'" said Jackie Kuhls, executive director of New Yorkers Against Gun Violence.

Mike's resolutions

Mayor Bloomberg's second inaugural address yesterday included promises to:

# Launch a national effort to crack down on illegal guns.

# Speed up the rebuilding of lower Manhattan and create a "sustainable residential and commercial community" - a clear reference to his call for housing at Ground Zero.

# "Lock in and extend" reforms granting mayoral control over city schools, which the state can revoke after 2008.

# Continue to drive down crime and improve public safety, which he called "the foundation of our city's prosperity."

# Be "fiscally responsible." City government "can and must live within its means," he said.

Originally published on January 2, 2006

www.nydailynews.com/news/story/379453p-322247c.html
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:52:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:55:51 AM EDT
[#2]
He can launch a national effort to suck my cock.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:02:37 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:09:49 AM EDT
[#4]
RINOs are the worst libtards of all
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:10:21 AM EDT
[#5]
We will maintain or even improve our gun rights as long as Republicans maintain the majority in Congress.  

Consider that very carefully then next time you step into the voting booth.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:13:23 AM EDT
[#6]
is there any chance that he looks like this:

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:31:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Typical lefty BS in the reporting in that "guns" seem to be doing the killing, not the scumbag with the gun.  Who, I am sure, is a misunderstood youth who fell under the spell of the evil killing machine and couldn't help himself.

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:37:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:44:08 AM EDT
[#9]
I saw that while watching NY news at work earlier this morning.  

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:58:15 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
When the mayor talked last month about the need to tighten gun laws after the shooting death of NYPD Officer Dillon Stewart - by a gun stolen in Florida -

Because more laws will obviously make thiefs do a moral about face and stop their crimes.  

I support the death sentence for stealing firearms....execution by the firearm owner.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:17:42 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
You see what happens when billionaires have no idea what to spend their $$$ on?

Watch out Wave! Talkin bout yo bossman dare!
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:27:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Man, Bloomberg is a grandstanding WHORE!!

More politiKal speak, nothing will come of it on his end....we are too strong....
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:39:33 AM EDT
[#13]
His  official email address link so you can vent directly:

www.nyc.gov/html/mail/html/mayor.html
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:41:10 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

With the shooting deaths of two NYPD cops still weighing on the city -

But NYC has NO GUNS.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:41:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Does this mean Bloomberg will be backing the NRA?  He should be smart enough to leverage his city's money in an existing program.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:49:26 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:51:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Sounds like he has an ego the size of Richard Daley, mayor of Chicago. When will these "intellectuals" realize that we don't want or need their "help"?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:56:30 AM EDT
[#18]
A friendly bet here: what do you think the odds are he'll give the local police RAS to stop and search every car with out of state plates, especially from free states?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:03:23 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:03:36 AM EDT
[#20]
What the hell is this illegal gun thing that he keeps talking about?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:06:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Please come to Indiana and get your ass handed to you.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:14:43 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
rofl

A municipality trying to exercise it's authority on a national level.    

That's like me telling everyone the rules I set for my kids will be enforced in all of my neighbor's homes for their children.    

Dream on, Bloomberg.  

Well, the Mayor of Chicago has considerable influence on the rest of the state.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:17:58 AM EDT
[#23]
....sound of clock ticking.....

I can't wait for the day I leave this place for Colorado.  Just another few weeks!!!
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:19:30 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
But NYC has NO GUNS.

Not true. Not even true for licensed firearms. They just don't have many CCWs.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:20:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Unreal.....
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:20:52 AM EDT
[#26]
NYC ?

Nuke em from Orbit...........

It's the only way to be Sure.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:21:21 AM EDT
[#27]

"He needs to go to Florida and say, 'You sell thousands of guns that end up on our streets every year, and one of them killed a police officer in New York. What are you going to do about that?'" said Jackie Kuhls, executive director of New Yorkers Against Gun Violence.

Jeb, "Not a damn thing you intrusive carpetbagger, it's not my problem you can't keep your streets clean. Take your politically motivated ass back up north before I feed you to the gators you ambitious prick."
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:28:15 AM EDT
[#28]

And to those who distort our lawsgod-given rights to aid and abet hardened criminals, know this," he said, punching the airhimself in the eye for emphasis. "We will not rest until we secure all of the toolsrights we need to protect New Yorkers from the scourge of illegal guns criminals and legislators."

Fixed it.

Bloomberg is a nearly perfect demagogue.  I guess that's the style.  Blaming guns for crime.  Blaming other states for his woes.  He might as well blame CA for all the winos and cheap wine.  Maybe he needs to build a big tall "Berlin-type" wall.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:30:30 AM EDT
[#29]
Fuck him.

We can launch a national effort to boycott NYC.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:38:39 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
RINOs are the worst libtards of all

Bloombergs an idiot. He had to spend over a 100 million dollars of his own money and switch parties to get himself elected/reelected.

New York City has tens of thousands of outstanding criminal arrest warrants which they don't bother to act on. The NYPD won't even come and get the dirt bags when they are picked up outside the city unless they are violent felony related.  Sometimes not even then. They'll tell you to transport them to a central booking facility in NYC which most small departments don't have the manpower to do.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:46:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Could someone remind me again what it is that qualifies him as a Republican?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:50:34 AM EDT
[#32]

... he said, punching the air for emphasis. ...

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:55:28 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Unreal.....

I wish you were right.

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:57:43 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Dear Mayor Bloomberg,

I laud your efforts in trying to keep firearms out of the hands of NYC criminals.  

Since you may not be aware, I thought I would let you know that the Federal Government of the United States already has a bureau devoted in part to enforcing laws concerning the illegal interstate transportation of firearms.  They are the BATF and they even have a website:  www.atf.treas.gov/

If you would like to communicate with the Georgia and Florida divisions of the BATF directly, they have websites as well:

Florida:  www.atf.treas.gov/field/tampa/index.htm

Georgia: www.atf.treas.gov/field/atlanta/index.htm

Be sure to tell them you are from NYC as they are particularly responsive to people from northern states giving them free advice about how to do their job.  

Sincerely,

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:58:30 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Jeb, "Not a damn thing you intrusive carpetbagger, it's not my problem you can't keep your streets clean. Take your politically motivated ass back up north before I feed you to the gators you ambitious prick."

Good one.  I guess they are missing the point that the majority of guns are in the South (obvious since they are claiming they are shipped FROM the South) and we don't have the crime problem they do....maybe a cultural thingy there?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:11:04 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dear Mayor Bloomberg,

I laud your efforts in trying to keep firearms out of the hands of NYC criminals.  

Since you may not be aware, I thought I would let you know that the Federal Government of the United States already has a bureau devoted in part to enforcing laws concerning the illegal interstate transportation of firearms.  They are the BATF and they even have a website:  www.atf.treas.gov/

If you would like to communicate with the Georgia and Florida divisions of the BATF directly, they have websites as well:

Florida:  www.atf.treas.gov/field/tampa/index.htm

Georgia: www.atf.treas.gov/field/atlanta/index.htm

Be sure to tell them you are from NYC as they are particularly responsive to people from northern states giving them free advice about how to do their job.  

Sincerely,

Heheheh. I love it.

Please tell me you ARE going to send it to that idiot.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:11:56 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good one.  I guess they are missing the point that the majority of guns are in the South (obvious since they are claiming they are shipped FROM the South) and we don't have the crime problem they do....maybe a cultural thingy there?

Actually, the crime rate here is much lower than in most major cities in the South.  I'm looking at moving back to Houston and was disappointed to see that its crime rate is higher than NYCs
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:12:58 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, the crime rate here is much lower than in most major cities in the South.  I'm looking at moving back to Houston and was disappointed to see that its crime rate is higher than NYCs
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:15:07 AM EDT
[#39]

battle? with what?  we've got all the guns.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:25:36 AM EDT
[#40]
Funny how the areas with the most gun control control/high crime areas blame the low crime/high gun ownership areas for their problems.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:26:00 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
-snip-

-snip-

Bloomberg:  "What are you gonna do about NYC's problems Florida and Georgia?  Its your fault we can't control our own city."

Florida and Georgia: "First we will have a hearty laugh. Second, we will give you the finger. Thridly, we will tel you to STFU and FOAD, along with a "pound sand" crybaby."
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:29:44 AM EDT
[#42]

<snip>

"He needs to go to Florida and say, 'You sell thousands of guns that end up on our streets every year, and one of them killed a police officer in New York.

<snip>

Right, The GUN did it
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:34:01 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Heheheh. I love it.

Please tell me you ARE going to send it to that idiot.

I sent it alright.  Completely non-threatening but gets the point across.  The sheer arrogance of that man.  He doesn't even bother hiding it.  He may as well say:  "You Southern idiots don't know what you're doing.  Let me take over."
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:37:56 AM EDT
[#44]
Another thing:  The New York death penalty statutes were declared unconstitutional on 6/24/2004.  So that means they can't execute criminals who kill police officers.  What kind of message does that send to criminals?  
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:41:42 AM EDT
[#45]
There's a bunch of hillbillies waiting for him on the Ohio/Indiana border.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:48:10 AM EDT
[#46]
What Bloomberg really wants is more federal money, period.

Chucky (cut and run)Schumer, what an embarrassment!  It's amazing the good people of New York keep electing this jerk.  But then they elected the other jerk from Arkansas....Oh yea, she lives in New York, my mistake.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:53:06 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Another thing:  The New York death penalty statutes were declared unconstitutional on 6/24/2004.  So that means they can't execute criminals who kill police officers.  What kind of message does that send to criminals?  

The NY death penalty will never be re-instated in as long as the NYS Assembly is controlled by NYC Democrats.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:56:49 AM EDT
[#48]
Camden is doing the same thing.  They're blaming PA for their crime problems.  It seems that the grabbers are setting the stage for something big.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:15:50 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

And where is Jeb Bush from again?
Thats the pot calling the kettle black.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:19:27 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Does this mean Bloomberg will be backing the NRA?  He should be smart enough to leverage his city's money in an existing program.

I do not think so, since he directly blamed the NRA for the deaths of two recent NYC cops.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top