Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/4/2001 11:51:24 PM EDT
Hope somebody might have an answer to this problem.

I am currently running Windows ME O/S with a Maxtor 20Gig hard drive on a system I built myself, PIII,Asus MoBo,512K Ram, Ati Rage pro VC, etc, etc.

Anyway, I Fdisked and formated the hard drive into 4 seperate partitions of 5Gbytes each, one primary partition and 3 logical in the extended partition. The primary partition(C) is marked as "active".

After I reinstalled Windows ME, the O/S only recognizes drive "C" but not the other drives.  I have checked with Fdisk, and they are listed as being there, plus ME shows that Drive "C" is only 5Gbytes in size.

Any suggestions???  I don't want to reboot, and I really do want 4 seperate partions.

Thanks Sgtar15
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 12:00:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Using that original software... did you format d: e: f:????

"Fdisk" just gets a chunk of the hard disk available.  "Format" makes it ready to load stuff on.  You've "fdisked" and partitioned it into 4 chunks.  You need for format each chuck so information can be written on it.

"Format" is also available as a dos command.  I am slow to mention that since most partitioning software for newer hard-drives comes with it as well.

Link Posted: 8/5/2001 12:04:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Have you tried using Maxtor's Maxblast floppy utility disk?  If your HD didn't come with one you can download it at their website.  Then create the maxblast disk and go from there.  Hope this helps...
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 12:08:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Yea, I formated D:E: & F.  I do have the Maxtor diskette, but I now have programs and such that I really don't want to loss.  Sadly I didn't remember that I had the Diskette until about 3 weeks [i]after[/i] I rebooted.

I am trying to find a way to do this without losig any info from drive "C", about 3Gigs worth!!

sgtar15
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 12:11:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Is there anyway to completely [b]all[/b] of drive C: to another drive using DOS commands??  Keep in mind it would have to include all hidden and system files.

Hummm, I think I may be on to something......

sgtar15
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 12:22:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Is there anyway to completely [b]all[/b] of drive C: to another drive using DOS commands??  Keep in mind it would have to include all hidden and system files.

Hummm, I think I may be on to something......

sgtar15
View Quote

No, there are no DOS utilities that will preserve the file structure of your C: drive.

Since you have a modern system that doesn't have any current HD size limitations the MaxBlast software is useless.

The cheapest solution would be to wipe the drive and start over with one partition.

If your in to spending $ you can pick up a copy of Partition Magic.
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 12:30:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

If your in to spending $ you can pick up a copy of Partition Magic.
View Quote

Yea, I think that is going to be my best bet.  I know some that has it, and I do have a burner[;)]

sgtar15
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 4:07:16 AM EDT
[#7]
I refuse to use partitions.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top