BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/25/2005 2:31:36 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 2:38:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like it was specifically targeted.  Who knows that you keep the pistol in your truck?
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 2:42:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry to hear that, hope it finds it's way back.  IBT(peoplewhostartscreamingaboutgunsincars)
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 2:43:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Sorry to hear Sherrick.  

Got my eyes/ears open.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 2:46:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 2:47:16 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Sounds like it was specifically targeted.  Who knows that you keep the pistol in your truck?

To me, it seems more likely once the found the gun, they bugged the fuck out.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 2:52:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Bet it was a neighbor kid.  Keep a sharp eye!
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 2:53:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Some maggot wil turn it in for one of those heat vouchers or $100 dollar bill!  I have always wondered how many stolen guns get turned to those PD swaps.  I'm an LEO and I can't stand those things.  Sorry to hear about your pistol bro.  Maybe it will turn up, I hope so.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 2:54:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Hope the puke gets caught that stole it before he can sell it/commit crime with it/do something else with it and you get it back.

Hang in there.

Danny
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 2:57:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Sorry you were robbed.
Just my own personal preference but i never leave a gun in the car/truck overnight or for long at all.
I hate leaving it in the car when I have to because of prohibitions on carrying in certain places.
I am putting in a small lock box (hidden) just for such times.
the thief is at fault for taking the gun, you have some fault for not securing it (a car is not secure)
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 3:13:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Sorry for your loss,but...I don't understand why anyone would keep a weapon in a car.I get nervous as hell when I go into Dunkin Donuts to get a coffee on the way to the range and my uber expensive and deadly AR is in the back.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 3:37:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 3:42:19 PM EDT
[#12]
sorry to hear about that, i hate getting shit stolen from me also. never had a gun thoug, mydad had his OHP car broke into once and they stole his back up, they tried to get in the trunk and get his other guns but they didnt make it. we also had a fellow officer here get some guns stolen out of his storage shed once (he had them in storage do to a move] and they got located in houston off of some gang bangers. they were a kimber 1911 and a s&w .40 i think. they are still sitting in evidence but they said that he can get them when the case is closed. atleast they got recovered.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 3:44:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 3:47:52 PM EDT
[#14]
never leave a gun in a car overnight...  they do get stolen!  even an alarm won't stop people.  my alarm certainly didn't stop the people that wanted to rob me last year.  in fact, i've had 3 trucks broken into.  if somone wants what you have, they will get it.  

even leaving your guns in the car for 15 minutes on a bad side of town can get them stolen.  at my last job, a guy came into the store after a day of shooting.  he was in for a few minutes and he went out to his car only to find that all his guns were gone...
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 3:50:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Was this a personal or Dept. issued firearm?

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 3:51:33 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 3:52:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 3:56:51 PM EDT
[#18]
For Future Reference - There are small pistol safes available that secure the gun with a cable
to an inside part of your vehicles.
That plus an alarm system would at least make a Thief WORK for his Booty

Overnight is a no-no unless you're sleeping there with the gun.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 3:58:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 3:58:38 PM EDT
[#20]
I just bought one of the large ones for my Jeep....better than nothing:

www.center-of-mass.com/

HH
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 4:06:14 PM EDT
[#21]
It's a Smith, he did you a favor!
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 4:12:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Ouch, that is going to leave a mark.

Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 4:13:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Does insurance at least cover the loss?
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 4:13:51 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I was wondering when someone would mention that.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 4:13:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Isn't what a CCW is for?
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 4:15:25 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 4:16:22 PM EDT
[#27]
sherrick13: That is terrible.

A fellow shooter was too lazying to take his firearms in after a night of shooting.  Early in the morning his automobile was stolen along with his guns.  No fun.  After an evening of fun & games my guns are the first to go in with me.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 4:18:02 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Sorry you were robbed.
Just my own personal preference but i never leave a gun in the car/truck overnight or for long at all.
I hate leaving it in the car when I have to because of prohibitions on carrying in certain places.
the thief is at fault for taking the gun, you have some fault for not securing it (a car is not secure)

Yes, I do.  I will not leave one in the future.

It takes a big man to admit he made an error, it takes an even bigger man to admit it here on ARFCOM.
Mistakes that don't kill us are learning tools.
Mistakes that do kill us are leaning tools for others.

(sometimes I amaze myself LOL)
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 4:24:00 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Sorry you were robbed.

Yes, I do.  I will not leave one in the future.

It takes a big man to admit he made an error, it takes an even bigger man to admit it here on ARFCOM.
Mistakes that don't kill us are learning tools.
Mistakes that do kill us are leaning tools for others.

(sometimes I amaze myself LOL)

PAAAA-LEEEEEEAASSSEEE!

Being lazy and not thinking now let a firearm get into the hands of a criminal... more ammo for our liberal friends...

I'D WISH PEOPLE WOULD BE MORE RESPONSIBLE WITH FIREARMS. IT'S NICE AND EASY TO SAY, "I'M SORRY, PLEASE FORGIVE MY, DUR," THAN TO NOT HALF-ASS ANYTHING, EVER, ESPECIALLY WITH SOMETHING THAT CAN CAUSE MANY PROBLEMS FOR OUR COMMUNITY.

THANK YOU FOR BEING A RESPONSIBLE PERSON

[/rant-off]
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 4:24:40 PM EDT
[#30]
damn thieve's
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 4:31:36 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Sorry you were robbed.

PAAAA-LEEEEEEAASSSEEE!

Being lazy and not thinking now let a firearm get into the hands of a criminal... more ammo for our liberal friends...

I'D WISH PEOPLE WOULD BE MORE RESPONSIBLE WITH FIREARMS. IT'S NICE AND EASY TO SAY, "I'M SORRY, PLEASE FORGIVE MY, DUR," THAN TO NOT HALF-ASS ANYTHING, EVER, ESPECIALLY WITH SOMETHING THAT CAN CAUSE MANY PROBLEMS FOR OUR COMMUNITY.

[/rant-off]

Already addressed in red.  Sherrick admitted he was in the wrong and won't let it happen again.  

Let's not forget that someone broke into his vehicle and STOLE it.

Fuck thieves.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 4:33:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Sorry to hear that.

Kinda my problem with trunk guns.

Much as I’d like a long gun with me in addition to my CCW, having to continually worry about its security is generally too much.  And it’s not like I’m incapable of forgetting to lock the doors.  

Almost all the firearms lost by my former agency were stolen out of vehicles.  In an extreme example, a guy left his issue SIG in an unattended government car for two weeks while he was on leave.  It was stolen.  He wound up buying the government a new SIG!

Quoted:
...I hate leaving it in the car when I have to because of prohibitions on carrying in certain places...

Agreed!

When I absolutely have to leave my CCW in my vehicle (going into a court house or such), I secure it in a GunVault security container.  Granted, I really need to get around to somehow bolting or chaining the container to my vehicle.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 4:36:03 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lighten up, it's a joke.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 4:38:49 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Sorry you were robbed.

PAAAA-LEEEEEEAASSSEEE!

[/rant-off]

Already addressed in red.  Sherrick admitted he was in the wrong and won't let it happen again.  

Fuck thieves.

Thieves will take anything not nailed down. A theif will take a pen from my cubicle and a theif will take a firearm. The only difference is some one left a firearm in their truck, God knows why, being lazy or thinking TSHTF will happen so he'll need maybe a second firearm(GET A GOOD CCW, NOT A SECOND GUN OR A 'TRUCK GUN'). Now a some ghetto-daddy will have a new gat-gat and fuck us over. Saying sorry means shit now. I don't believe in this I learned my lession B.S. or I'll do better since I know better. You left a gun in a vehicle, which are prized for ciminals to get their hands on and it got stolen. Good God! You might as well left a gold bullion brick on your front seat.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 4:46:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Sorry to hear that. Get the numbers into NICS asap, and keep your eyes on the lil hoods around the area. Hope you get it back in one piece. If I HAVE to keep a pistol in a SUV, It goes in the back in the spare tire equipment bin. I have a lock on it and it would take some TIME to bust it open, and time is not on a car thiefs side. Oh, and it has a lock on the trigger hsg [good one not a cheepie] I would prefer not to leave it in a vehicle at all but there are times it is unavoidable.
Again, good luck in getting it back.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 4:50:17 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Thieves will take anything not nailed down. A theif will take a pen from my cubicle and a theif will take a firearm. The only difference is some one left a firearm in their truck, God knows why, being lazy or thinking TSHTF will happen so he'll need maybe a second firearm(GET A GOOD CCW, NOT A SECOND GUN OR A 'TRUCK GUN'). Now a some ghetto-daddy will have a new gat-gat and fuck us over. Saying sorry means shit now. I don't believe in this I learned my lession B.S. or I'll do better since I know better. You left a gun in a vehicle, which are prized for ciminals to get their hands on and it got stolen. Good God! You might as well left a gold bullion brick on your front seat.

They left behind his Gerber!  

The difference between a cubicle and a locked vehicle?  Apples to oranges.
I'm pretty sure Sherrick didn't leave the pistol on his front seat in open view.  (Back me up here, Sherrick!)

So, since thieves are thieves, should we just consider all lost?  I mean, homes are prized for criminals to break in to, especially when you're at work.  What should I do with all my belongings?

I understand where you're coming from.  Yes, there are alternatives to what Sherrick could have done.  But let's not forget there was criminal intent here, too.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 4:59:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 4:59:59 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Does insurance at least cover the loss?

If you're an NRA member then it does. They'll insure your firearm any where at any time for any reason.

What do all of you anti-overnighters do with your trunk/truck gun? Haul it out to the car every morning and back into the house at night?
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:02:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:04:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:09:16 PM EDT
[#41]
You must be about ready for retirement. When did they quit making those things? Are they safe with smokeless powder?
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:13:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:18:11 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Sorry you were robbed.

PAAAA-LEEEEEEAASSSEEE!

[/rant-off]

Fuck thieves.

Shakespear's got nothing on this kind of drama.

It's unfortunate that criminals steal, but it is not the fault of the victim that they were victimized. YOU my friend are the ones fueling the anti's fire, not the victim of the theft! YOU are enabling the actions of the criminal by reassigning blame to the victim. Do you blame everyone who has had their car stolen for not removing the battery before leaving their car? Do you blame every woman who has had her purse snatched for carrying the purse or not having it handcuffed to her wrist? Do you blame everyone who has had their home broken into for not having bars on their windows?

Someone broke into his car and stole his gun. Well, that sucks. File a claim with insurance (especially if you are an NRA member) and replace the gun. Then get a cheaper gun and keep it in the car instead.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:20:51 PM EDT
[#44]
When there are some places that won't allow CCW, what are you supposed to do besides leave it in the car? Bury it in the flower bed outside the P.O.?  
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:27:54 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
When there are some places that won't allow CCW, what are you supposed to do besides leave it in the car? Bury it in the flower bed outside the P.O.?  

What are these "places" you speak of?  
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:30:28 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

M39 and 59.  The only good Smith autos.

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:34:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Well dude, I hope it comes out ok for you and you get your piece back. I also hope that you don't have a detective visit you and tell you that your gun was used in a homocide/car-jacking/robbery and that someone's 17 year old daughter was killed.

Being a gun owner demands and extra-ordinary amount of responsibility. Not being in command or knowing the disposition of your weapons is inexcuseable in today's world. This is the same reason why I get pissed when I see threads about "Trunk guns". It's just not worth it.

Dave
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:40:12 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What are these "places" you speak of?  

The ones that have signs AND magnetometers
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:40:13 PM EDT
[#49]
A buddy of mine got back from the range, and thought his friend had grabbed the shotguns in the back of the truck (under a cover, but unlocked tailgate)...He hadn't. 2 months later, he went to haul something and found the guns he thought were in his safe...
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:41:04 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

+1.  I had a neighbor kid steal a pair of Leupold binoculars from my truck once, but I could not prove it.  The kid was a pot-head who also stole from his own father to get high.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top