Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/25/2005 1:27:58 PM EDT
My dad got me a 12 foot v-bottom aluminum boat for christmas!  and it comes with a 44lb  trolling motor, marine battery and charger and life jackets,.  do yall think that 44lb motor will be plenty? or should i think about getting a gas motor for it?   If so what size is good for a 12 foot aluminum boat?   This will be for small lakes and ponds so i was wondering if a 4 or 5 horse motor would be good, what do yall think stick with the trolling motor or go gas??   I cant wait till spring now!!
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 1:28:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 1:29:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Now you can go have a tragic boating accident
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 1:32:50 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

lol i got to get some use out of first!! never been duck hunting out of a boat before now i got a reason to start!! its even camo painted.  Ive been thinking about getting a boat for me and my son who is 14 yo, we are sick of fishing on the banks so we were both floored when my dad said lets go out back i got something to show you guys. i couldnt beleive it! i cant wait to get out onthe water after i tag it and all.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 1:37:47 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

lol i got to get some use out of first!! never been duck hunting out of a boat before now i got a reason to start!! its even camo painted.  Ive been thinking about getting a boat for me and my son who is 14 yo, we are sick of fishing on the banks so we were both floored when my dad said lets go out back i got something to show you guys. i couldnt beleive it! i cant wait to get out onthe water after i tag it and all.

He was talking about the tragic boating accidents that claim your guns.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 1:44:32 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He was talking about the tragic boating accidents that claim your guns.

ya already had one on my friend boat last year it was terrible and tragic i lost everything....
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 1:47:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Let's go!
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 1:48:41 PM EDT
[#7]
pix plz
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 1:50:22 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

lol, i think just about everyone came into this thread thinking that
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 1:51:42 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
pix plz

I dont have any batteries right now for the digital but as soon as i do ill get some though!!
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 1:56:27 PM EDT
[#10]
I've been boating small aluminum rigs since I was a kid. I've used both electric and gas motors.
The gas is much easier to work with. The lead acid marine battery weighs minimum of 50lbs and is a bear to carry. In the wind (it can pick up quickly) the electric motors just don't have the power to get you back to the dock. It will certainly work, but you'd be better served by a gasoline motor. I've seen 3-5 HP evinrudes that fold up for transport. They really looked like the ticket for a 12ft boat. Oh yea, make sure you bring oars!
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 2:03:42 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I've been boating small aluminum rigs since I was a kid. I've used both electric and gas motors.
The gas is much easier to work with. The lead acid marine battery weighs minimum of 50lbs and is a bear to carry. In the wind (it can pick up quickly) the electric motors just don't have the power to get you back to the dock. It will certainly work, but you'd be better served by a gasoline motor. I've seen 3-5 HP evinrudes that fold up for transport. They really looked like the ticket for a 12ft boat. Oh yea, make sure you bring oars!

it came with oars too!

this is a pic of one that is similar to mine i found on ebay. mine i used but in great condition too. the one in the pic is similar but my seats are in diff locations and mine has wood slats/boards in the floor board which is cool

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 2:31:47 PM EDT
[#12]
There is a guy around here that has a 9.9 hp motor on a boat that size. With just him and 5 gallons of gas it scoots right along I'm guessing about 22 mph or more. I was barely on step doing 17 and he shot right past me.

ETA- The guy only weighs about #150.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 2:49:53 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
There is a guy around here that has a 9.9 hp motor on a boat that size. With just him and 5 gallons of gas it scoots right along I'm guessing about 22 mph or more. I was barely on step doing 17 and he shot right past me.

well im a much larger guy im 6'5" 260 lbs!! i dont need to go that fast!!
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 2:50:20 PM EDT
[#14]
I've got an OLD Sears 12' V out back.It moves OK with a 36# thrust electric,IF the wind is dead calm.
Go gas.I've got an old (60s) Sears (Ted Williams)  7 1/2 HP someone gave me in the 70s.It's very light weight,and that thing scoots with it.Plus,runs all day on 3 gallons.I use it as a " back of the truck" rig when I'm going where there ain't no ramps.Pull it out of the truck bed,drag it to the water,then carry the motor.Going the camo route next spring.

ETA-I'm 220#-it still moves me OK (was alot lighter when  I got it)
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 4:46:50 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

well im a much larger guy im 6'5" 260 lbs!! i dont need to go that fast!!

I'm no midget either.
My current boat GPS'd at 52mph.
115hp Yamaha pushing a 20' aluminum flat bottom with a jet tunnel  I built myself.  I will try to throw up a pic tomorrow.

A flat bottom boat gets a little spooky at those speeds.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top