Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/25/2005 8:24:29 AM EDT
Christmas Eve with Donald Rumsfeld.

And yes I know it's not MARPAT but ACU, I'm using arfcom lingo.

The US Army MARPAT BDUs...Merry Christmas From Mosul...
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:31:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice.

(I'll say more in a few days...)
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:53:09 AM EDT
[#2]
The ACU looks great for urban stuff but in a forest you'd stand out like a sore thumb.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:57:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Your tactical tinted rectangular specs are badass!
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:00:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:01:34 AM EDT
[#5]
It needs more brown/tan/coyote
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:05:48 AM EDT
[#6]
The Arpat is a very good design, but as all one size fits all they are not as good as specialized patterns.   I have seen them side by side against MARPAT in the field and they are a little more noticeable.

The ACU has some improvements over the MCCUUs, however the zipper would still not be my choice for a field uniform.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:31:45 AM EDT
[#7]
It doesn't get much better than that! Only GWB or Ghaney could top that one!
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:33:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Very nice!
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:39:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Wait, what are you guys talking about?  All I see are a couple of black rectangles floating in the air next to the Secretary of Defense.  

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:48:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Did Rummy break your bro' hand with his GI Joe kung-fu grip?

Tell your brother thanks for his service!

Semper Fi.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:59:56 AM EDT
[#11]
And yes, it does rather well on breaking up the outline of the person when standing in front of trees.

The color isnt so important as much as is the pattern and as long as the color isnt black or white.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 10:28:42 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Those are the new model BCGs.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 11:54:19 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Those are the new model BCGs.

Way better than the old ones.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 12:18:33 PM EDT
[#14]
We did an experiment in the Georgia woods during an STX to see which was better, ACU or BDU, involving guys wearing both walking out 50m in the brush and a panel of judges (the rest of us) deciding which was easier to see.  Well, as far as we could tell, BDU would be preferrable... in Georgia.  Anywhere other than a woodland environment, I think it works well, and that's where we're gonna be for some time to come.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 12:21:28 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The ACU looks great for urban stuff but in a forest you'd stand out like a sore thumb.

I disagree
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 12:27:25 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I disagree img402.imageshack.us/img402/8720/e5h9vs3lb.jpg

Subdued flag would help.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 12:37:04 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Subdued flag would help.

As well as ACU IBA.....kinda defeats purpose when wearing ACU uniform and DCU body armor.....
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 12:45:46 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Subdued flag would help.

As well as ACU IBA.....kinda defeats purpose when wearing ACU uniform and DCU body armor.....

That way they see the body armor and shoot at it, and you are protected.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:12:56 PM EDT
[#19]
I have seen ACU in the woods, and the only thing worse the guy could have been wearing was a white bed sheet.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:32:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Right, I wonder how long it will take them to realize the current ACU was a big mistake.

Solution: accept that one uniform CANNOT do it all.

The current ACU should be kept as an Urban uniform; replace the light grey color for Dark Brown for Woodland and replace the green with Tan for Desert issue.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 12:17:49 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Subdued flag would help.

That way they see the body armor and shoot at it, and you are protected.

I highly doubt he's wearing the new multi-hit plates for the IBA.....

So, more than one shot in the chest and he's likely to go down pretty good.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 1:11:39 AM EDT
[#22]
I like my ACUs...I'm on exodus from infantry OSUT and we're one of the first BCT companies to get the new uniforms.  They are not too bad in Georgia, like another guy said it doesn't work QUITE as well as the BDU IN CERTAIN PLACES IN THE WOODS but I think it works better in some heavy vegitation.

We are all mismatched as far as camo goes though.  Personally I have DCU IBA, and BDU LBV and MICH cover.  Some guys (just a couple) have all ACU stuff, others have BDU IBA....we are BCT "soldiers" and therefore I didn't expect anyone to have ACU IBA or anything like that yet.

The velcro on the sides of the legs is annoying but only because they make us carry canteens in there and the velcro comes undone when you run with full canteens flopping around.  I have very few complaints about the uniform otherwise.

I don't think the army fucked up.

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 2:16:02 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I like my ACUs...I'm on exodus from infantry OSUT and we're one of the first BCT companies to get the new uniforms.  They are not too bad in Georgia, like another guy said it doesn't work QUITE as well as the BDU IN CERTAIN PLACES IN THE WOODS but I think it works better in some heavy vegitation.

We are all mismatched as far as camo goes though.  Personally I have DCU IBA, and BDU LBV and MICH cover.  Some guys (just a couple) have all ACU stuff, others have BDU IBA....we are BCT "soldiers" and therefore I didn't expect anyone to have ACU IBA or anything like that yet.

The velcro on the sides of the legs is annoying but only because they make us carry canteens in there and the velcro comes undone when you run with full canteens flopping around.  I have very few complaints about the uniform otherwise.

I don't think the army fucked up.

What company ya with?

And watch the crotches, they like to rip out.

And what are you guys doing that you carry canteens in your cargo pockets??
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 2:17:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Id like to see it under night vision, from what I understand it is meant to keep the soldiers contrast neutral to the surrounding landscape, not too light or dark, since we fight at night anyways.  I havent heard of too many daytime woodland/jungle firefights lately so I dont think that those scenarios matter much right now, I do know that the uniform shines when the light is low outside without NVGs, no matter what terrain.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 2:52:35 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Id like to see it under night vision, from what I understand it is meant to keep the soldiers contrast neutral to the surrounding landscape, not too light or dark, since we fight at night anyways.  I havent heard of too many daytime woodland/jungle firefights lately so I dont think that those scenarios matter much right now, I do know that the uniform shines when the light is low outside without NVGs, no matter what terrain.

As far as the night goes, they are great. I work at FOB Caldwell.  All the units here had the DCUs till recently, 101st came in with ACU's. At night while driving I have to look for the desert boots. That is the only way to see them.  Drive Slow, ACU's Crossing. You can have your brights on and still cant see them till you are up close, 8 feet. Never had that problem with DCU's and no my eye sight's not going south.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 4:14:40 AM EDT
[#26]
For the officers I deal with, it seems to be the latest thing to have the largest possible stash of ACU field gear in the corner of their offices, as if to say "I'm more high-speed than you".

Kharn
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 4:17:08 AM EDT
[#27]
You have to keep in mind where the potential future conflicts may be. I sure don't see any woodland involved for the most part.

I would also think that the ranges involved wouldn't be so close. Who is going to be just "standing there" in the woods for you to see?

Oh Well, This is one of ARFCOM's favorite arguments.

SteyrAUG, Tell your brother Thanks for his service. That's very cool getting to meet Rummy.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 4:20:06 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
You have to keep in mind where the potential future conflicts may be. I sure don't see any woodland involved for the most part.

I would also think that the ranges involved wouldn't be so close. Who is going to be just "standing there" in the woods for you to see?

Oh Well, This is one of ARFCOM's favorite arguments.

SteyrAUG, Tell your brother Thanks for his service. That's very cool getting to meet Rummy.

Yes, it is cool.  He's a very nice man.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top