Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/25/2005 7:53:23 AM EDT
Timothy Treadwell was the "Grizzly Man", a Malibu surfer dude who got "new age" with bears in Alaska until one of his inter-species friends ate him. Anyone have a link to the recording of the attack? No luck on Google, but I can't believe it's not out there somewhere.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 10:24:28 AM EDT
[#1]
I saw the deal on TV about him.The detective said he would not want anyone else to hear it,It was that horrible.

But they did play a small part where you can hear him tell his girlfriend to hit the bear with the frying pan as the bear is eating him alive.

A week earlier he was cussing at a fishing group for throwing rocks at "his" bears to ward off an attack.

Isnt it Ironic? Dontya think?
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 10:38:06 AM EDT
[#2]
You'll never hear it.  The police have stated it isn't something anyone should hear.  I think the lady who was a friend of that clown has or had a copy of it, as a movie was made with his footage a while back and the producer heard it and told her to destroy it.  Either way, if more than one copy does exist, it won't get leaked IMO.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 10:42:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Guy was a fucking nutjob...

outside.away.com/outside/news/200401/200401_blood_brothers_1.html

Treadwell's methods of chumming up to grizzlies, however, were considered unsound by much of the bear-research community. He gave the bears names like Mr. Chocolate and Booble. He filmed himself chanting, "I love you, I love you," as he inched up to a grizzly. Scientists belittled him for his anthropomorphizing. Mainstream researchers either cautioned Treadwell that his behavior would put bears and humans at risk or dismissed him as a loon. Even his friends worried—they thought he should carry bear spray. But after blasting one charging bear, Cupcake, with pepper spray in 1995, Treadwell refused.

Details of their demise at the link.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 11:10:55 AM EDT
[#4]
He was a moron and no great loss. But, he as good as murdered his girlfreind by putting her in that situation. And whatever "bear conservation" efforts he may have achieved, were offset by the destruction of the two bears involved in the attack.
Too bad that won't be portrayed in the TV show.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 12:31:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm just finishing up a biography of him, "Grizzly Maze". It's great reading. The guy was a head case and  a con-artist.

Having seen a few grizzlies in their natural habitat, I can't imagine his act not being fatal sooner or later.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 12:39:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I live here and I never go in the woods unarmed.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 12:46:04 PM EDT
[#7]
To understand nature is to understand life, to understand life is to understand death,  to understand death is to understand nature.

He didn't understand any one of the three!

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 12:58:39 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
He was a moron and no great loss. But, he as good as murdered his girlfreind by putting her in that situation. And whatever "bear conservation" efforts he may have achieved, were offset by the destruction of the two bears involved in the attack.
Too bad that won't be portrayed in the TV show.

Haven't seen the movie but I heard an interview with the director...strangely enough the director wasn't too big a fan of his either.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 2:44:49 PM EDT
[#9]
How do you know if you are in bear country?

Look for piles of shit with bells and pepper spray cans .

A lot of people think Chris ( One of the troopers .) is a tard but he always treated me with respect and profesionalism . He also has a sMMMokin hot wife and some cute kids . You can tell they take after mom in the looks department .
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 4:36:06 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

LOL, not to speak ill of the dead, but Timothy Treadwell literally became what bears do in the woods...

ETA Chris Hill? Did he import her or find a local and get her some dental work?  
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 4:46:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:05:43 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL, not to speak ill of the dead, but Timothy Treadwell literally became what bears do in the woods...

ETA Chris Hill? Did he import her or find a local and get her some dental work?  

Not quite.
The bears were killed right after.  They were still munching on the gut pile when the Troopers got there.

Making fun of Timothy is kinda a sport up here.

Well not this one .
Timothy

I don't know if she is an import , but my cash would say probably .
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:13:14 PM EDT
[#13]
humans are soft and squishy, so  when individuals fall down the food chain they rarely climb back up it.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:14:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:00:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Before Treadwell, there was another douche named Chris McCandless who came up to Alaska to live off the land and escape the system, ended up freezing to death in an unheated junked school bus near Denali Park.

Apparently, he's been canonized/martyred by weirdos in the Lower 48, the Alaskans who know about his story just kind of laugh.

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 11:31:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Okay, just finished reading the books and watching the movies. A lot of people described him as troubled, naive, a con-artist, deluded, self-absorbed, misquided, etc. and I would now heartily agree with all of those. But what none of his biographers mentioned is that if the guy was any more flaming gay, he'd have an afterburner. Anyone else seen the movie and reached the same conclusion? It was like Sigfried and Roy go to Alaska.

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:03:17 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Okay, just finished reading the books and watching the movies. A lot of people described him as troubled, naive, a con-artist, deluded, self-absorbed, misquided, etc. and I would now heartily agree with all of those. But what none of his biographers mentioned is that if the guy was any more flaming gay, he'd have an afterburner. Anyone else seen the movie and reached the same conclusion? It was like Sigfried and Roy go to Alaska.

Anyone need a sig line?

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:08:52 AM EDT
[#18]
tag
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 3:39:35 AM EDT
[#19]
I watched that documentary "grizzly man" the other night, the audio will never be heard according to his friend who has or had it, she was encoruaged to destroy it.
The guy was eccentric and odd. As for the gal who was with him, the exchange on the tape  shows he at least yelled at her to run and it seemed she had enough time to do it but she stayed there and attempted to fight the bear and save him.
The audio is actually the sound from a video recorder, which doesn't show anything because they started it when the bear approached but never got the lense cap off.  
A misc. factoid, it said the guy's life changed when he didn't get the bartender in cheers, "woody" role, he was 2nd to woody harrleson.
It's woody's fault.  

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 3:55:43 AM EDT
[#20]
There was another group of people who got slightly mauled I believe with no fatality.
They said they were proud that they didn't have a gun to defend themselves with.

Question- "You are one of those guys who shoots bears, aren't you?"  from a cute, smarmy, posey-sniffing, tree-hugging, hikey-climby, gorp-eater.

Answer- "Sure.   Well, then, if I ever see a bear chasing your pretty little ass through the woods, I will be sure not to disturb it's natural predatory instincts by shooting it for you."

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:40:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Hey isn't that little Timmy? Nah, that is just a pile of bear shit.

When you run out of street lights, you are back in the food chain.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:37:29 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Before Treadwell, there was another douche named Chris McCandless who came up to Alaska to live off the land and escape the system, ended up freezing to death in an unheated junked school bus near Denali Park.

Apparently, he's been canonized/martyred by weirdos in the Lower 48, the Alaskans who know about his story just kind of laugh.

McCandless didn't freeze to death, he starved after eating a plant that apparently contained a toxin which screwed up his body's ability to metabolize food.  Moreover, the plant was believed to be safe before this.  Please re-read your copy of Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer.  While the kid was undoubtedly a screwed-up libtard, he did pretty well for himself until he got trapped by seasonal melting and then accidentally poisoned himself.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:21:11 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

McCandless didn't freeze to death, he starved after eating a plant that apparently contained a toxin which screwed up his body's ability to metabolize food.  Moreover, the plant was believed to be safe before this.  Please re-read your copy of Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer.  While the kid was undoubtedly a screwed-up libtard, he did pretty well for himself until he got trapped by seasonal melting and then accidentally poisoned himself.

He didn't get trapped by seasonal melting. He could have gone across the river by goine over on a hand operated metal tram that was just a quarter mile away from where he tried to cross. Also, there was a stocked park service cabin just 6 miles from the abandoned bus where he was staying.

If he would have bothered to do even basic research about his surroundings, he would still be alive today. Instead he was killed by his own hubris.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 1:24:13 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He didn't get trapped by seasonal melting. He could have gone across the river by goine over on a hand operated metal tram that was just a quarter mile away from where he tried to cross. Also, there was a stocked park service cabin just 6 miles from the abandoned bus where he was staying.

If he would have bothered to do even basic research about his surroundings, he would still be alive today. Instead he was killed by his own hubris.

While I agree he was "killed by his own hubris", the book stated that the cabin had been vandalized and the food stockpile had been destroyed or taken.  I don't recall about the cable tram for sure -- I'm going from memory here, my copy is in storage 8000 miles away -- but wasn't it latched on the wrong side of the river?
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:36:59 AM EDT
[#25]
I read about a guy who was trapped in his car in a snow drift out west in the remote mountains, snow didn't melt for months and he starved in his vehicle, made a journal, his mind was the 1st thing to go. Survival could be a bi!ch for anyone it seems, but still better to be wise and be prepared also.
Anyone know the story of the donner party?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:52:54 AM EDT
[#26]
A kid I went to high school with named David Boomhower got lost in the Adirondacks and starved to death. The circumstances were pretty bizarre. He kept a journal, but none of it's been released because his sister is trying to sue the state of NY for not properly marking trails, etc. A friend and I were coincidentally camped within a mile and a half of him for part of the time he was up there, but we didn't know anything about it at the time.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:08:19 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Hey isn't that little Timmy? Nah, that is just a pile of bear shit.

When you run out of street lights, you are back in the food chain.

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:22:45 AM EDT
[#28]
The movie made about him is one of the worst I have ever seen. That guy needed some sense slapped into him. The whole movie was clips of him saying much of a bad ass he was and that only he could make it in the dangerous wild with the bears. Then their was the interviews with all of the hippy friends that were equally annoying.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:16:46 AM EDT
[#29]
I read in one of the articles that came out when he was killed that his girlfriend sat in the tent and screamed after the bear(s) left.  According to someone who'd heard the audio (Alaska State Trooper IIRC) "...it sounded just like a predator call."
So of course the bear came back.

1911fan

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:20:34 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I'm just finishing up a biography of him, "Grizzly Maze". It's great reading. The guy was a head case and  a con-artist.

Having seen a few grizzlies in their natural habitat, I can't imagine his act not being fatal sooner or later.

It was Darwin at work.

This silly person gave human qualities to the bears and even went so far as to TOUCH them. He had no common sense and seemed unable to process the fact that these bears do not know him, do not like him, and that sooner or later one would eat him if it decided to do so.

They might tolerate all sorts of stuff and then all of a sudden not tolerate it anymore. That is why they are called WILD animals, because you never know when they will suddenly go wookie on you.

Sensible people thusly give them lots of space and are prepared to kill them if necessary.

Stupid people tell their girlfriend to hit an attacking 400 pound bear with a frying pan.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:21:55 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Wasn't he the fuckstick who said he would be "honored" to be eaten by a grizzly bear??  What's this "hit him with a frying pan" shit?  

It is called

"Holy crap, this bear is trying to eat me and I didn't have sense enough to bring a damn gun to a fight with a 400 pound grizzly"

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top