Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2001 8:20:55 AM EDT
I'm having the same damn problem with my M1A... that freakin' op rod just won't budge!  I've wiggled it and waggled it and pushed it and pulled it and it just won't move.  I can't figure out how the hell it is supposed to come off.  I'm pretty mechanical too... man I feel like a loozer!

I havent shot mine yet.  Do you find that the M1A is hard to clean and maintain with the op rod still on the receiver?  I'm afraid to shoot it and get it all dirty without being able to get the op rod and bolt out... what has your experience with this been???
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 8:30:24 AM EDT
[#1]
You remove the op rod guide and guide spring. Then retract the op rod fully to the rear. There is a take down notch just before you get to the fully retracted position in the receiver. You hold your mouth just right, wiggle the op rod and it will come out downwards freeing up the bolt. Once you do it, it will be a chinch, the first time is a mutha though. Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 8:40:03 AM EDT
[#2]
The most annoying thing about this is that I have been playing with guns for 25 years and haven't had one beat me yet.  I can get a Garand op rod off and on with no problems, but there is some trick to the M1A that some smart guy is gonna have to show me in person how to manage.  Or I am going to have try to hold my mouth just right (maybe looking at the "babes" thread will help), like Stg44 suggests.

As far as worrying about dirt, I don't.  I shoot the hell out of it, clean it as best I can and lube it.  No problems at all.
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 9:53:13 AM EDT
[#3]
For some reason, the SA M1A is more difficult than a M14. When I was in college Army ROTC we had M14's. At Camp Shelby MS we were in pre-Ranger training, and had a competition to see who could field strip it blind folded the fastest. I won, and my "reward" was I got to pick my C ration main course. (what a deal!) I had hell getting my M1A apart the first time. It sure was more difficult all these years later for some reason. (advanced years I guess?)
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 9:58:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 5:17:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got a Poly Tech/American M-14s. The op rod comes off as easy as any M-1. The problem with the M1A is the way Springfield Armory designed the receiver. It's just a little different than most other semi auto M-14 clones in the area where the op rod is removed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top