BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/3/2001 3:43:40 PM EDT
I can't be the only one?
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 3:47:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Grandparents: Jewish
Father: Converted to Christianity
Me:  Raised Christian, but still celebrate Jewish holidays.

Does that count?
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 3:50:14 PM EDT
[#2]
sure.. my moms italian
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 3:52:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Here, though I have been de-horned.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 4:03:12 PM EDT
[#4]
what does de-horned mean??
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 4:13:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey, if you were Jewish and ever traveled down south....you would already know.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 4:25:36 PM EDT
[#6]
???? i have lived in Georgia for 9 years, i really don't know.  Can ya tell me?
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 5:59:02 PM EDT
[#7]
By Choice, preparing to be a Rabbi
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 6:06:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 6:39:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Sweep, you hit it right on  the head. A Christian is a Jew. The difference is that to a Jew, to make anything 'G*d' is a violation of the law. If you start to but too much emphasis on money an object, or a car, you have created the same sin.
I studied Jesus as a man, A Rabbi, especially the Gospel of Thomas. Jesus always followed the law. He followed the teachings of Judaism.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 7:02:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 9:31:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Post from TheWind -
I studied Jesus as a man, A Rabbi, especially the Gospel of Thomas.
View Quote

Wow, a Rabbi, that's pretty impressive. For a really good study of Jesus as the Jewish Messiah, however, I would suggest Alfred Edersheim's [i][b]The Life and Times of Jesus the Messiah[/b][/i], written in 1883, in two volumes. Edersheim was a devout Jew whose study of Jesus led him to believe....But the work is an equisite description of Rabbinical Judaism at the time of the Second Temple.

BTW, the Gospel of Thomas is an apocryphal book and not an accepted gospel by any in the Church. It's self-description as the 'secret sayings' of Christ is ludicrous, and was most likely composed in the mid to late Second Century AD, by Gnostic 'heretics', along with the Gospel of Phillip, the 'secret Gospel' of Mark, and the Epistle of Barnabas, all of which are not considered as 'cannonical' by the Church, from the earliest of days.

Christ's so-called sayings in the Gospel of Thomas are, to say the least, 'underwhelming' and not of the sort and character that Jesus would ever say.

Of course, He would follow the Law, as the Rabbis were fond of saying, that nothing was written in the scriptures that was not written of the Messiah. And not one jot or tittle of the Law was broken by Him, with the exception of the curse of 'he who dies upon a tree.'

Eric The(PrayingForThePeaceOfJerusalem...)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 11:58:15 AM EDT
[#12]
thanks for the posts!!!! keep them coming
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 12:54:04 PM EDT
[#13]
I ate motzah soup once and liked it.
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 5:13:01 PM EDT
[#14]
anymore traditional jews????
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 6:04:03 PM EDT
[#15]
I was raised by parents who were Liberal Democrats.  

Does THAT count?
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 6:05:14 PM EDT
[#16]
what are you stacker.  A militant  jew like me..hehe
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 9:06:37 PM EDT
[#17]
As a child we had a woman from India that was a Christian from a church founded  by Thomas. National Geographics did a story on I think, 3 churches founded by Thomas. Remember that the winners write the History. Thomas was off to the side.
If you would realy like information, find a copy of the book Jesus lived in India.
Also Masada was 1/3 Esscenes, 1/3 Zealots and 1/3 the followers of Christ.
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 10:25:27 PM EDT
[#18]
My family is mostly Methodist (ugh!!), I am Catholic, but 250 years ago a German Jew married into the clan and changed the surname permanently.  My family celebrated Jewish holidays and Christian ones as well, I prefer Yom Kippur to 40 days of Lent.

My name has sometimes been a burden in areas in the South.  Had a anti-Semitic jackass of a real estate agent say to me once, "Well, you just can't steal land around here!!" when I mentioned that I thought the price of the property was a little high.

Although being Catholic in the Bible Belt isn't all that popualr either.
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 12:40:45 PM EDT
[#19]
i hear ya, i live in the atlanta area.  i have heard some commets before.  but for the most part  down south has been kind to me
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 2:02:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Huey... I'm Jewish.  I am not very traditional, but I have a very strong identity.  Growing up in the South and going to VMI made my identity become rock solid.  I don't go to temple and I don't know very much about being a traditional "Jew", but like I said, I'm proud.  I'm a German Jew actually, my mother was born in Germany and my fathers side is German as well.

I can tell you that I really have trouble identifying with the stereotypical "New York Jew"... I get along much better with Southern non-jews... maybe its yanks that I hate in general though??? hehe
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 2:09:08 PM EDT
[#21]
scipio, i am the same way...not religious but very proud to be who i am.  i too have served my country (still do) and in law enforcement.  the only difference between us is  i am from jersey..i am proud of that too.  all my friends are southerners...one is jewish, but still a southerner.  
Link Posted: 8/7/2001 3:52:53 PM EDT
[#22]
anyone else?
Link Posted: 8/7/2001 4:41:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Yes, I'm a Jew. I still go to temple every now and then, still observe the high holidays, don't believe that anyone who believes in Christ is a Jew. was raised in the north, but lived in the south as a kid and had people tell me I couldn't be a jew because they knew all jews had horns and a tail (gotta love the south).

I had family killed in pogroms in Russia, death camps in Poland, and fighting for this country in WW2 and Korea.

I have more guns than most folks, am bigger than most folks, don't turn the other cheek, and belong to GOA and JFPO, along with the NRA.

Yes, I'm Jewish.
Link Posted: 8/7/2001 4:52:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Am not jewish but willing to learn.
Link Posted: 8/7/2001 6:16:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/7/2001 8:42:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Post from TheWind -
As a child we had a woman from India that was a Christian from a church founded by Thomas. National Geographics did a story on I think, 3 churches founded by Thomas. Remember that the winners write the History. Thomas was off to the side.
If you would realy like information, find a copy of the book Jesus lived in India.
Also Masada was 1/3 Esscenes, 1/3 Zealots and 1/3 the followers of Christ.
View Quote

Well, certainly Thomas the Apostle was a real person, who traditionally, brought Christianity to the Indian Subcontinent, it's just that the 'Gospel of Thomas' was never connected to this apostle by any Church tradition.

The 'Gospel of Thomas' was unknown by the Christians in Goa, India, and the surrounding areas. If Thomas the Apostle had written a gospel, surely he would have taken it with him to India, or that Church would have some sort of tradition of a gospel written by him.

FWIW, when the Portugese sailors first started arriving in India in the Fourteenth Century, they were astounded to find Christians on the West coast of that country, but even more astounded when those Indian Christians asked them 'Who is this Pope that you keep referring to?'  Of course, THEY had no tradition of a 'Bishop of Rome' as being the titular head of the Christian Church!

From what I've been able to read concerning the folks at Masada, I would think that 1/3 that you may be referring to as Christians may have been 'Ebionites' or followers of John the Baptist.  The fact that the Dead Sea Scrolls mention a 'Teacher of Righteousness' and certain other remarks that may seem to refer to Jesus, their utter failure to mention his name is indicative of a non-Christian situation.

But this is all most interesting, is it not?

You know, I found two websites that contain Jewish-Christian writings of Alfred Edersheim.

If you want to there, they are:
[url]http://www.ccel.org/e/edersheim/lifetimes/[/url] for the 'Life and Times of Jesus...'

[url]http://www.ccel.org/e/edersheim/sketches/[/url] for 'Sketches of Jewish Social Life'

Eric The(Judeo-Christian)Hun[>]:)]  
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 3:18:38 PM EDT
[#27]
that is some picture from sinistral. I love it!!!!!  DavidC..e mail me if you get a chance.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 3:19:22 PM EDT
[#28]
sinistral.. how can i get a copy of that?
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 3:25:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Attended Margaret Mitchell Elementary School which was located right in the middle of the "golden ghetto". Not Jewish but definitely a mensch.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 3:36:03 PM EDT
[#30]
My friend got me this t-shirt in Israel.
[img]http://www.jerusalemgifts.com/images/uzi2.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 3:57:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top