Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/3/2001 3:42:40 PM EDT
Well, I finally picked up my new preban and boy is it great !!! only thing is it has that "purple" tint to the black finish.
I have seen several that were far more purple than this one, but still....
So my question is....Where is the best place to have it refinished and what type of finish is best ??? I would like it to look like the new bushmasters do. I called Bushmaster and they said they do not offer refinishing, so where should I look to get a great looking and durable finish.
Thanks in advance
SPECTRE out....[x]
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 5:17:05 PM EDT
[#1]
[>:/]
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 5:26:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Brownells has a bake on lacquer finish. The flat black is very close. Just de-grease your upper, spray on, bake for 30 minutes at 300F and you are done. About $17.00 + Shipping. Very durable, corrosion resistant, even though that is not a problem.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 6:31:07 PM EDT
[#3]
What is the standard finish on the receivers ??
powder coat, anodized etc ???
COME ON !!!! with all the experience on this board, someone has got to have some answers.
[bounce]

maybe I should have put best BABE finish in my title.....
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 6:40:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Hey Spectre, what kind of preban did you get anyway? I've heard of both Bushmaster and Olympic being purple at times. Just wondering.

I just got a preban Oly lower and am planning on building an M4 with Bushmaster upper, so I'm curious as to who does refinishing as well.

Link Posted: 8/3/2001 6:51:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Seamusmcoi, I got a Bushy carbine NIB !!!! and like I said earlier, it really isnt too purple, I have seen some much worse. It's perfect except it has the 11.5 barrel with 5.5 flash hider. Taking care of that next week, putting a new bushy M4 barrel on it. I might replace the tele stock too, it has the older style 2 position, and I may put a 4 or 6 position on it.
aint this just too fun !!![:D]
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 7:09:39 PM EDT
[#6]
METACOL III
METACOL III is the best firearm coating available and has made all other coatings obsolete. METACOL III is a bonded, solid-film lubricant. Unlike paint, it will never chip, peel, bubble, or crack and is thin enough (.0003" to .0007") to coat the most delicate internal components. When cured, it chemically bonds at the molecular level with the base metal. It is unbelievably tough (the toughest black finish available), impervious to rust, and self-lubricating. It is the ideal coating for modern weapons and can be applied to carbon steel, stainless steel, aluminum, titanium, brass, "pot metal," and some high-temperature plastics (like HK collapsible stocks). METACOL III is available in standard colors - HK-style satin black (most popular), Colt-style dark gray, classic patina - a gray/green/brown; And special colors - NATO green, desert tan, earth brown, and Camouflage patterns - four-color woodland and three-color desert, and urban.

...ARS did an absolute perfect job on my MP-5. The new [METACOL III satin] finish is undetectable from the original. I should know - my brother and I examined every nook and cranny over the entire receiver. Even the sights and three-lug barrel were properly finished.

- Bob Bishop, Machine Gun News/Small Arms Review

The dark gray is a perfect match for Colt-style gray anodizing (AR-15, SP-1, AR-10). Classic Patina results from a special curing process and exactly matches the World War II gray/green/brown color originally caused by long term storage in Cosmoline. This special process has the added advantage of being an even color throughout and hiding areas of different hardness that standard Parkerizing would highlight, such as weld marks. It is super on Garands, M1As, Springfields, M1 Carbines, Israeli FALs, and the like.

Our most famous METACOL III color is satin black. We specially adapted this black coating to match the factory finish on Heckler and Koch rifles, and have earned the honor of being the refinishing center for Heckler and Koch, USA. It is an excellent match for the Uzi, Galil, L1A1 and Belgium FAL factory finishes.

http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/finish/pagemetacol.htm

This is from ARS website.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 7:11:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Is the upper purple too? Is the FH not welded on?  If so, I might be interested in it, Lemme know.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 7:40:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I ended up going with the RRA 6 position myself, just got it today.

Man, this thing is as solid as it gets. If you don't go with the 4, go with the 6 for sure.

Your right, this is a blast! I'm in the process of building as well, and am still deciding on some of the finer details.

When dealing with these damn AR's, there's just WAY to many options as to what you can do with them. Got to love it.

Good luck, and post some pics!
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 8:43:45 PM EDT
[#9]
To get the correct color, whatever that is, you will have to get the receiver anodized. There are several folks who do all of it for the big boyz. The simple, and cheaper option is to leave it, or do a spray on finish.
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 2:30:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
To get the correct color, whatever that is, you will have to get the receiver anodized. There are several folks who do all of it for the big boyz. The simple, and cheaper option is to leave it, or do a spray on finish.
View Quote

Any idea who these companies are that anodize for the "big boyz"
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 2:44:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Try out that Dupont Teflon-S from [url]www.bearcoat.com[/url]
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 3:25:56 PM EDT
[#12]
I second the Bear Coat finish.  Had my Colt Gov't Shorty done a year ago in matte black and the finish inside and out is flawless.

http://www.bearcoat.com
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 3:30:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Black T by Birdsong.  They take it completely apart and coat everything including all the springs, etc, unlike bearcoat.  His number is 601-939-7448.  He does a lot of work for military and LEO.
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 3:44:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I second the Bear Coat finish.  Had my Colt Gov't Shorty done a year ago in matte black and the finish inside and out is flawless.

View Quote

The matte black looks alittle shiny on their website, is it ?? I would prefer a non reflective finish. also,  how does it hold up around the takedown pin holes ??
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 4:02:12 PM EDT
[#15]
DPMS will anodize your receivers. I think it's $35.00 per...
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 4:07:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

The matte black looks alittle shiny on their website, is it ?? I would prefer a non reflective finish. also,  how does it hold up around the takedown pin holes ??
View Quote
Black T by Birdsong.
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 5:53:50 PM EDT
[#17]
My mistake.  I meant to say I had my AR done in Flat Black instead of Matte Black. I haven't noticed any wear in anyplace after 10 months of moderate use.
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 6:00:43 PM EDT
[#18]
LarryG, does Birdsong have a website ??  Also, one of my Emerson Knives has a blackT finish... Same stuff ??
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 7:11:59 PM EDT
[#19]
No website,
Yep, same stuff.

Beautiful, isn't it?
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 7:22:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
LarryG, does Birdsong have a website ??  Also, one of my Emerson Knives has a blackT finish... Same stuff ??
View Quote
Like JDP said, he has no web site.  He has more to do than he can handle, between military, LEO, and non-LEO civilians who know about him.   I have had an ArmaLite AR180 (Sterling), 2 preban Eagle Arms (carbine and rifle), 2 Sig pistols, and 2 Ruger pistols done by him.  It takes about 6 weeks, which is slower than some others, but he is the only one I will let do any of my guns.
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 4:19:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Well, I have contacted several different sources and as you would expect, they each claim their method of refinishing is far better than anyone elses.
I would like to get opinions on whether anodizing or coating would be better. I want a flat or matte black finish that is non reflective.
anyone have any experience with the Armor Tuff by Wilson combat ?
thanks[:D]
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 4:51:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Spray it with brake cleaner,
Then three lite coats of flat black stove pipe paint.Looks good and is easy to touch up.Course this is the WECSOGCA method but it does work
cpermd
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 4:55:06 PM EDT
[#23]
I'll second the Birdsong recommendation.  I had him do my HK91 last year in his two-tone black and NATO green.  The receiver, barrel and trigger housing are green...the small parts and sights are black, as are all the internals.  Even the springs are coated, which to my knowledge he's the only refinisher who can do that.  It looks WICKED and really dresses up the weapon.

QS
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 6:34:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Any thoughts on which is more durable.....anodizing or coating ??
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top