Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/17/2005 9:15:14 AM EDT
**UPDATE** - Following the poll, I am keeping the gun.  I also went ahead and made my purchase at Best Buy instead of Circuit City.

I had misgivings about turning it in and could never be sure that it would not come back to bite me in the ass one day.

Thanks for all the input!!

Eric

----------------------------------------------------------

I have a Raven Arms .25 caliber pistol that I received, brand new, as a gift from a vendor about 15 years ago.  Needless to say, it has been sitting in the back of my gunsafe collecting surface rust because I won't shoot it.

Now, Los Angeles County has a gun trade-in program going on right now where you can turn it in to be destroyed, "no questions asked", for a $100.00 gift card for Circuit City, Ralphs Supermarket or Toys R Us.

The question is, should I turn it in and get the gift card?  We will be buying an under-the-counter CD Player/Radio/TV tuner in the next day or so anyways, so it would mean saved cash that I can put towards something else.  Or, do you feel adding even one gun to their totals means a win for the anti-gun folks.

Another downside, I have to drive to Compton to turn it in...  

Eric  
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:17:11 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I have a Raven Arms .25 caliber pistol that I received, brand new, as a gift from a vendor about 15 years ago.  Needless to say, it has been sitting in the back of my gunsafe collecting surface rust because I won't shoot it.

Now, Los Angeles County has a gun trade-in program going on right now where you can turn it in to be destroyed, "no questions asked", for a $100.00 gift card for Circuit City, Ralphs Supermarket or Toys R Us.

The question is, should I turn it in and get the gift card?  We will be buying an under-the-counter CD Player/Radio/TV tuner in the next day or so anyways, so it would mean saved cash that I can put towards something else.  Or, do you feel adding even one gun to their totals means a win for the anti-gun folks.

Eric  

Hit the nail on the head!
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:18:03 AM EDT
[#2]
$100.00 is pretty good for that pistol.

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:18:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Keep it...$100 ain't worth the satifaction of letting the libtards get another legally owned gun.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:18:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Don't think it would be wrong morally, but you have to decide if the drive to Compton is worth the $50 or so that you gain.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:18:59 AM EDT
[#5]
save the gun, technology depriciates faster then guns ever will.  Also I dont like those gun trade in programs
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:19:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Financially speaking, you made $100.  Can you get more selling it outright?  As far as the politics of it goes..  Your call.  I wouldn't do it just because my principals would haunt me to no end..
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:20:05 AM EDT
[#7]
go to wal mart and buy one of those cheap $20 daisy air pistols, trade it in.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:20:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Here's an addition to the dilemma:

Two for Sale (without the fancy plastic grip mine has)

I could never sell this in California, it is not on the approved "list".

Eric  
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:20:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Don't ever, never turn in a gun.

It might be $100 in your pocket but it's a stat anti-gunners can use against us. At very least it shows that some of us will sell our rights down the river for a little money.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:20:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Sure, if you want to go to hell forever after you die, turn it right on in!
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:21:35 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Eric  

Another sign that Gun Control is racist.. Why Compton? Why not Beverly Hills or Newport Beach? If you watch "Michael & Me" its a documentary on Gun Control and on how it is racism at its finest.

But it CANT be racist... the Democrats thought of it... yeah fucking right!

Im sorry i hijacked your thread... I digress...

NO do NOT turn in your gun... just adding another notch in their belt.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:22:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Tell them to FOAD with their publicity seeking antigun nonsense.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:22:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Is the gun worth $100 bucks?  I say sell it its a P.O.S. anyway.  Just don't sign anything or dhow I.D.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:22:39 AM EDT
[#14]
I would keep it, you probably can't replace it with another $100.  This scam is for sheeple who know nothing about guns, and give away a $125 gun for $100.  There is nothing wrong with the gun, you can probably shoot 100-200 rounds thru it before the slide cracks.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:22:43 AM EDT
[#15]
An "Oops!  I thought he had a weapon" throw down will be a lot harder to find than $100 when you need it!

It's your gun - do what you want.  To make even more money I'd take out the internals and the mag and sell them online though.  Grips too - just wrap some electrical tape around the POS.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:24:45 AM EDT
[#16]
nevermind
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:24:58 AM EDT
[#17]
I love those "no questions asked" gun turn-in programs.
Seems like a great way to dispose of evidence.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:26:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Id probaly do it
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:27:25 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Actually, they're reverse registration schemes.  You fill out a voucher for the "gift" and the gun goes to the state crime lab for testing.  3 months later there's a knock on the door.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:28:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Remember, you are in Cali.  In about 5 years all guns will be banned, just think what it'll be worth then...
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:28:13 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, they're reverse registration schemes.  You fill out a voucher for the "gift" and the gun goes to the state crime lab for testing.  3 months later there's a knock on the door.

That would make sense, which is probably why I didn't give them credit for doing it.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:28:50 AM EDT
[#22]
If your driving to Compton you might need it.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:28:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Wish I had one of those turn ins by me.  I have a couple crap guns I would love to get rid of that are worth less than $100.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:29:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Id do it.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:31:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Wow it is one ugly ass gun, but if you turn it in they win. You would be better off giving it away on ARFCOM.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:31:27 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

You got a point there....I wonder how many de-serialized/modified etc guns are run through there?  And do they check serials at all?  Seems like it would do very little to deter crime, seems like people would just steal more guns for the guaranteed $100 a pop they would get.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:32:32 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Tell them to FOAD with their publicity seeking antigun nonsense.

turn in the POS, sell the card, and put it towards a real firearm.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:35:09 AM EDT
[#28]
I'm torn on this one.  

On one hand, they are paying more than what the gun is worth for a weapon that is never going to be used in a crime anyway.  Considering this, they just wasted money buying a gun that does not achieve their goal which is reducing crime

but...

On the other hand, there is going to be some asshat politician making some statement about how many guns were "taken off the streets" and your gun will be a part of that.  It may encourage more gun buys in more cities and may facilitate the perception that law-abiding citizens turning their guns in is a good thing...

but....

If this does happen in other cities, more local governments will waste their money buying POS guns and this will have no effect on crime because gangbangers aren't going to turn their "tools of the trade" in anyway.  Crime rates will not be reduced which will show the futility of law-abiding citizens relinquishing their guns to the government.

but....

The mainstream media will never report that gun turn-ins don't work anyway.

Oh hell.  KEEP THE GUN..
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:37:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:38:01 AM EDT
[#30]
Go to the hardware store and buy some pipe and tape a piece of wood to it as a grip and take that in. Tell them it is a homemade zip gun. When they ask you if it can really shoot tell them to fuck off, no questions asked remember.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:39:01 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Keep it...$100 ain't worth the satifaction of letting the libtards get another legally owned gun.

+1
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:41:15 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Go to the hardware store and buy some pipe and tape a piece of wood to it as a grip and take that in. Tell them it is a homemade zip gun. When they ask you if it can really shoot tell them to fuck off, no questions asked remember.

You guys are friggin hilarious.

TURN THE GUN IN!!!  FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS OWN SHITTY HARDWARE

Tell the people at the collection point that you will be selling the card to a friend for $80 and using the $80 as partial payment on a brand new smith and wesson.

Tell them that the raven is a POS and not reliable or powerful enough to kill gang-bangers with.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:44:26 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tell the people at the collection point that you will be selling the card to a friend for $80 and using the $80 as partial payment on a brand new smith and wesson.

Tell them that the raven is a POS and not reliable or powerful enough to kill gang-bangers with.

AMEN BROTHER !!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:49:18 AM EDT
[#34]
I know a gun dealer who would take all his crap to the buy backs. and he would also buy good stuff from people waiting in line.

I say trading your crap for thier money is a good thing.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:49:42 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

'tis better to have and not need than to need and not have...

if it were so worthless, it would be better for him to smash it himself than support an antigun program.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:50:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Pick your nose and put boogers on it and then rub some dog shit in it then turn it in
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:51:17 AM EDT
[#37]
A) don't give them the satisfaction. Ever 1 that goes in is a win for them.

b) what are you gonna do when you need a throwdown gun?
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:52:12 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Eric  

Would you suck a cock for $100?  Well would you?  Because that's what you are doing when you help to give the antigunners a victory, when they proudly announce how many guns they "took off the street".  I wouldn't have anything to do with these lowlifes - they can offer me $1000 for a BB gun and I woudn't show.  
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:55:10 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
go to wal mart and buy one of those cheap $20 daisy air pistols, trade it in.

Intresting Idea....
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 10:00:52 AM EDT
[#40]
I'm not real concerned about the political aspect, I don't think it's going to have much effect on anything, other then making gun grabbers waste money on worthless programs.

I might keep it if it would be a nice throw-down, "He did have a weapon!" gun - i.e. it is not traceable to you, bought through private sale, hopefully the last of many private sales. If it's on a 4473 or registered to you somewhere, I'd turn it in, and use the money to buy a better gun.

And don't forget to bring a real gun with you for protection when you go to Compton to turn in the POS gun.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 10:04:33 AM EDT
[#41]
You could probably get more than $100 for it in Compton.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 10:08:32 AM EDT
[#42]
If it were a POS that DID NOT WORK.....I would...but a fuctioning gun!?

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 10:13:48 AM EDT
[#43]
It does not have to be a firearm to ge a gun.
I know of a instance where somebody bought pellet guns at walmart for 20.00 each. Then turned them in at a "no questions asked" gun buy for 100.00 each. They were giving 100.00 foot locker gift certificates. Its a success all the way around. On one hand the gun buyback is a success. On the other hand they are loosing their ass paying 100.00 for a 20.00 pellet gun

Just food for thought.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 10:16:27 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Eric  

The trade in is NOT for cash, its for retail sheot you could get cheaper at pricewatch.com or ebay without sales tax.

Let me re-state, YOU WILL GO TO HELL FOR THIS!!

Revelations 417:99: "He who goeth along with liberal gun-grabbing horse-plop will spendeth eternity in a damnable pit with torments reserved only for the most vile of sinners."

Look it up, right there in the bible!
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 10:18:07 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I would keep it, you probably can't replace it with another $100.  This scam is for sheeple who know nothing about guns, and give away a $125 gun for $100.  There is nothing wrong with the gun, you can probably shoot 100-200 rounds thru it before the slide cracks.

The real killer is that there's almost always some little old widow who turns in her late husbands gun collection.  So instead of the libtard gungrabbers getting a POS zinc alloy pop-gun they get to torch such gang banging crime guns as pre-war Colt SAA, WW2 bring back Lugers, Korea/VN bring back Tokarevs, S&W Triple Lock N frames, Colt Pythons, etc.......that's if the good stuff doesn't get cherry picked by one of the brownshirts supervising the "buy back".

Fvck them & their BS buy back.  Don't be a tool for a pinko gungrabber propaganda stunt.  The Communists had a term for people like that....."useful idiots".

The Raven may be a cheesy,  clunky zinc alloy POS but they'll last more than 200 rnds.  The trigger pull sucks, the safety is about useless & it's way too big for the pipsqueek cartridge but it's probably the best of the "SNS" low $$$ popguns.  Would I buy one over the counter, fill out a 4473, etc?  Not a chance in hell.  
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 10:18:39 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Id do it.

+1
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 10:23:48 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Id do it.

+1

If I give each of you $100 can I fuck you in the ass?
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 10:25:02 AM EDT
[#48]
Don't do it, please don't kill a pistol. Post it on the EE if you need the money. i'd buy it ifi had the cash now
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 10:25:06 AM EDT
[#49]
Can a private citizen do a gun buy back?
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 10:29:02 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Id do it.

+1

If I give each of you $100 can I fuck you in the ass?

Lube or no?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top