Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/6/2005 11:10:09 AM EDT
I was perusing through the interweb last night and found this gem.  Is it for real?  Has anybody ever seen one?  Have one?  The best of both worlds - lightweight, 5.56, plentiful 30 rounders, stonecold reliability, adjustable gas system, BAH!  I WANT ONE!

"Sometimes figuring out the origins of a particular item isn't very simple. This FAL with aluminum receiver and a Galil barrel takes AR15 magazines. That works out to a light, handy mutt. Tamara brought that one in one day."

Images/info from http://www.olegvolk.net/olegv/newsite/gungames/gungames.html

Link Posted: 12/6/2005 11:17:55 AM EDT
[#1]
ouch! My boner!
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 11:18:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Isn't that basically an FNC then?
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 11:21:06 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd hit it.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 11:22:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I had a Springfield Armory SAR 4800 in .223 cal that had all the attributes that you mentioned except the 'Galil' barrel.

It was a 'match' barrel which I assumed was simply of SA manufacture.

The weapon itself is called a Imbel M-2 in Brazil where it came from...IIRC.

It was 'way too heavy' for a .223 cal weapon...much like the H&K Model 93...so I got rid of it!

Eric The(Sound)Hun
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 11:22:29 AM EDT
[#5]
No thanks.

- unprotected rear sight

- no optics mounting rail

- no accessory mounting rail

- large clunky carry handle

- adjustable gas system that can be misadjusted and cause operational failures

- no bayonet lug

- no ejection port cover
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 11:23:06 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd rather have FAL magazines; much better and about $4 a piece. In addition, what makes you think a Galil barrel is good? The FAL barrels now days can be had from MOA match precision to basic battle-rifle quality.  
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 11:24:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Meh still heavy.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 11:29:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Short gas system!
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 11:31:27 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
ouch! My boner!

Link Posted: 12/6/2005 11:31:48 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
No thanks.

- unprotected rear sight

- no bayonet lug

But it shore is purdy though!  
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 11:32:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Except for the adjustable gas system... how is this setup any better than an AR15 ?
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 11:34:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Not for me. I think FAL's feel like crap, and have shitty irons to boot.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 11:36:25 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
No thanks.

- unprotected rear sight

- no bayonet lug

And the chick in the picture is fat.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 11:36:52 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I'd rather have FAL magazines; much better and about $4 a piece. In addition, what makes you think a Galil barrel is good? The FAL barrels now days can be had from MOA match precision to basic battle-rifle quality.  

Which FAL barrels are the most accurate?  What parts kits are the best?

I just think it's cools because for me, I really don't have the money to get into a whole other caliber right now, and I've already got 12 AR mags and a beta, and this would be a sweet little shooter that would last forever with minimal cleaning, it'd be the KISS of sport utility rifles (excluding AKs) for me.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 11:37:11 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Except for the adjustable gas system... how is this setup any better than an AR15 ?

It has a gas piston.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 11:37:26 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
No thanks.

- unprotected rear sight

- no bayonet lug

Link Posted: 12/6/2005 11:40:12 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
No thanks.

- unprotected rear sight

- no bayonet lug

DUDE! I'd hit it! Seriously.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 11:46:30 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

How is an adjustable system better?  My system works, and I don't have to dick with it.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 11:49:45 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How is an adjustable system better?  My system works, and I don't have to dick with it.

You are correct.   I should have said "different" instead of "better."
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 11:55:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Hmmm.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 11:57:48 AM EDT
[#21]
I fired an Israeli 5.56mm FAL when I was a boy. As you might guess, the recoil was all but cancelled out by the weight of the firearm. It would make a nice range toy, but I'd rather have an AR or FNC for long walks in the woods. I think this is why we don't see more of them being made. A lighter gun like the AR15 or FNC is more practical.

Galland
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 12:00:42 PM EDT
[#22]
FAL aluminum receivers made in the last few years have a very bad and dangerous reputation.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 12:07:59 PM EDT
[#23]
If you like this, buy a STONER
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 12:09:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks for busting my bubble guys.  

Ahh, just kiddin.  I guess not everybody can think alike.  I can see its limitations and how there are many other rifles that are better for "long walks in the woods" but as of now the only thing I walk any long distance with is my Mossberg 500 and my Ruger .30-06.  But what's the deal with Aluminum receivers on FALs getting a bad rap?  Do they kaboom?  Crack, split, spew pea soup or what?  Please don't say "they have a bad reputation" but fail to say why or from whom - you're just leaving me hanging!    
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 12:10:48 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
No thanks.

- unprotected rear sight

- no bayonet lug

Link Posted: 12/6/2005 12:12:47 PM EDT
[#26]
There is a guy on the FALfiles who makes these with quick interchange front ends so you can switch to 5.56, 9mm, 7.62.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 12:14:30 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
No thanks.

- unprotected rear sight

- no bayonet lug

- no ejection port cover

In other words, it is not an AR.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 12:14:40 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Isn't that basically an FNC then?

FNC is more of a AK design than a FAL design.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 12:25:23 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
But what's the deal with Aluminum receivers on FALs getting a bad rap?  Do they kaboom?  Crack, split, spew pea soup or what?    

All of the above

They was a lot of excitement a couple of years ago when aluminum receivers became available a couple of years ago… until people started building rifles with them.

The bolt on a AR locks to the barrel steel to steel. Unlike an AR the bolt locks to the receiver on an FAL so you have aluminum to steel. The aluminum receivers could not handle the stress.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 12:27:33 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
No thanks.

Did it ever occur to you guys that since the photographer of said picture is a member of the Internet gun-board community-at-large, it's not impossible that pictured lady visits here and could see this thread?
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 12:31:28 PM EDT
[#31]
That's one of Oleg's photos (founder of thehighroad.org), I'd guarantee it....and he's no stranger to ARFcom, I'm sure he appreciates the ridicule of his model, many of whom are friends of his.

Real classy.

BTW, if anyone thinks she is fat, god help you when you're married. Karma will kick you in the sack, hard.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 12:31:40 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
it's not impossible that pictured lady visits here and could see this thread?

Is it that thief from FAL Files?

If so - could you please let her know that I still haven't got my FAL polo shirt.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 12:37:06 PM EDT
[#33]
there were 556 fals you know, think brazil made em.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 12:40:34 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:
it's not impossible that pictured lady visits here and could see this thread?

Is it that thief from FAL Files?

If so - could you please let her know that I still haven't got my FAL polo shirt.

Jen?
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 12:45:37 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Jen?

Polo?
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 12:46:49 PM EDT
[#36]
The aluminum receivers were dangerous in a 7.62, not necessarily in a 5.56.

That's why these are available, lots of aluminum FAL receivers you can't do anything else with.

The FAL system uses a steel replacable locking shoulder behind the bolt, it's that locking shoulder that would bear on the aluminum, not the bolt itself, lots more surface area.

With an aluminum upper, aluminum lower, light barrel, short gas system, etc. they can be built right around the same weight as an AR, somebody has a sub-6lb build, don't remember who but I've seen pics of it, it was sweet.

Rails are available.

I want one.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 12:47:14 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

piston operated.

IIRC, the aluminum reciever are used mainly because the serial numbers arent located on the magwell, which gets chopped a tad.

ive been planning on building one in 7.62 tokarev here pretty soon.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 12:59:38 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Join the FAL board instead.  I'm sure they'd all sing the praises  (well, probably bash the caliber)

Quoted:

In other words, it is not an AR.

Let's see, where am I?  
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 1:06:28 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
FAL aluminum receivers made in the last few years have a very bad and dangerous reputation.

yea they blow up, dsa won't make one and they won't match one to their lower kit
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 1:12:20 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Join the FAL board instead.  I'm sure they'd all sing the praises  (well, probably bash the caliber)

Maybe you didn't read the rest of that post - I'm not looking for sympathy, I'm more interested in hearing from people who have them, or know something about them, and I guess the consensus is that aluminum receivers are crap.  So I guess apparently it's not an AR (even though we do discuss other firearms here )

One more question - somebody said they actually made 5.56 FALs - were any imported?  Can parts kits be had?  What mags do they take?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top