Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/4/2005 10:24:59 AM EDT
Just got done watching the director's cut of Blade Runner.  I have to admit, usually the director versions of films are often MUCH better than theatrical releases but in Ridley Scott's case, the opposite is almost always true.  The part I miss the most ( oddly ) is the end credits with the camera panning at high speed over a field of tundra and the final music playing.  It leaves you desperately wondering the fate of Deckard and Rachael.  I also sort of miss the dead pan narration done by Ford.

another intersting case is Legend....the original version was much better but Scott had it shown to a test audience made up of folks who had no connection with fantasy and folklore and in a fit of desperate rage ( or anxiety ) completely recut the film...all the while the producer was begging him not to ( now THAT is odd ) because he felt Ridley's version was excellent.....none theless Scott, himself, was directly repsonsible for the theatrical version and it was many years until the Original version ( with the original score, not the equally beautiful, yet utterly different Tangerine Dream score ) was released on DVD.

So...which version of Blade Runner ( or Legend for that matter ) do you prefer????
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 10:28:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Original
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 10:31:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 10:33:15 AM EDT
[#3]
They should release a dual DVD set with both, like they did with Legend.  That is an EXCELLENT set, by the way.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 10:35:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Directors Cut.

Theatrical release sucked in comparison.

Who needs the idiot monolog voice over to explain what's happening?  It's as grating as listening to Leno explain his jokes.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 10:36:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Director's Cut.  I despise the narration that was forced on the director because the studio thought the audience was too dumb to understand the movie without it.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 10:40:40 AM EDT
[#6]
      The narration by Ford made the whole movie for me. It gave that Humphrey Bogart vibe to a scifi flick. I loved the original.

The music was great too. Vangelis as I recall.

Not to hijack,  but give me a movie score by Vangelis, Tangerine Dream, Georgio Moroder anyday.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 11:03:51 AM EDT
[#7]
I liked both for different reasons.  The book (Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep) that the screenplay was loosely based on is worth a read too.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 11:06:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Director's cut is much better IMO
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 11:19:19 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Yeah, the Director's cut of Bladerunner sucks donkey balls.  Of course, the original version on DVD is near impossible to find, at least with my searches (which ended a few years ago).  Anyone know where to find one?

Looked on ebay and looked like they had a few.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 12:03:19 AM EDT
[#10]
I like both very much but I think the theatrical version is more interesting.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 12:21:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 3:07:06 AM EDT
[#12]
I liked the original version much better.  It sucks they haven't released it on DVD.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 3:12:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 3:16:39 AM EDT
[#14]
For those of you who didn't know:  Deckert's a REPLICANT!
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 4:51:24 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
For those of you who didn't know:  Deckert's a REPLICANT!

I still like the original...where that isn't touched on but it was kind of cool at the same time......I dunno.....maybe I should do all of Ridley Scott's editing.....

except for GI Jane and Kingdom of Heaven.....not his best stuff  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top