Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/31/2001 3:49:54 PM EDT
New Policy on Firearm Background Checks

United States Attorney General John Ashcroft is seeking public comment on a new policy involving firearm background checks.  Our rights under the Second Amendment have been abused by retaining our personal information long after our background checks have proven us to be "clean".

Previously, under the Clinton administration, background checks were retained for up to 90 days with out reason.  Mr. Ashcroft wants Instant Background checks to return to what they were supposed to be, Instant.  Under the new policy background checks will be deleted within 24 hours.

The Attorney General is accepting public comment until September 4th, so please let him know that we as sportsmen and firearm owners support this new policy.  You should state that you feel appications should be destroyed immediatley.

To reach Attorney General John Ashcroft you can e-mail: [email protected] or call (202) 353-1555.

http://www.theunionleader.com/articles_show.html?article=4241
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 3:54:04 PM EDT
[#1]
He annouced his intention weeks ago and they are just asking for comment NOW!

How long have the anti's known about this?

Bury this site!
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 4:06:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 4:11:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I do not believe that firearms background checks should be held by the government. It is bad enough that I have to endure a background check to exercise a fundamental right. I certainly do not need the government maintaining this information after they have determined I'm not a criminal.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 4:23:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Please keep this thread on top and alive by adding a message!
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 4:31:24 PM EDT
[#5]
like this?
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 4:48:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Yep, thats it.
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 5:00:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 5:00:58 PM EDT
[#8]
My letter to Mr. Ashcroft....

Attorney General Ashcroft:

First, as a law-abiding, gun-owning citizen of the US, I would like to personally thank you for your tough stance in preserving our liberties and rights granted by the Constitution.  Given the current political climate, your support is a wonderful change of pace.  It takes great courage to stand up before the people and plainly state your principles and stand behind them, especially in these "politically-correct" times, and I heartily thank you for it.  Hopefully, you and your colleagues will be able to undo some of the damage caused by previous Administrations.

The specific purpose of my letter is two-fold.

I would first like to offer my comments on the recent issue of the Instant Background Check conducted whenever someone buys a firearm.  I want it known that I strongly support your goal of shortening the hold time for records of law-abiding citizens who pass the background check.  While I understand the need for identifying unscrupulous dealers and "straw-purchase" scams, I believe 24 hours is sufficient time to perform whatever follow-up checks the FBI deems necessary.

Secondly, I would like to relay my personal experiences with the "Instant" check system.  I am a budding firearms collector, and I make purchases on a fairly regular basis.  Every single time I have undergone a background check, the results always come back as "pending."  The dealer must hang up and wait for a return call from the ICS.  This can take from several minutes to over an hour, while all I can do is hang around and make smalltalk with the shop owner while waiting for my "Instant" check results.  Once, at a gunshow, I was forced to leave and come back the next day to collect my purchase, a round trip of over 150 miles.  I could understand this delay if it were my first time making a purchase and something odd came up on the check, but my record is spotless, and this same delay has happened every single time I have purchased a firearm.  I do not understand the problem.  If there is anything you can do to help streamline and speed up this process, I would be sincerely grateful.

Thank you again for your stance on the side of Freedom!
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 5:01:44 PM EDT
[#9]
BTT
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 5:02:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Text of my e-mail:

Thank you Sir,for your stated support of the 2nd Amendment!  As a sportsman/gunowner I appreciate your efforts, in the face of such a vicious attack, as much as I resent the illegal retention of my private information via the NICS system.  This abuse needs to be stopped, and I am counting on you to do it.  Thank you in advance!

Sincerely,
Michael G. Krause
View Quote

beekeeper, is that copyrighted?  can i use it?  pleeeeeaaaassssseeeeeeee?
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 5:07:53 PM EDT
[#11]
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 5:32:20 PM EDT
[#13]
In addition to keeping the thread alive on this site, it's also important to get the word out to everyone on your mailing list and encourage them to spread it around.  
Remember the '94 elections?  Won primarily by pro-gun efforts of people like us.

Tanks,
Straygator
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 5:35:28 PM EDT
[#14]
davidkxx, just curious, where did you get this info? Can you provide a link?
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 5:36:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You should state that you feel appications should be destroyed immediatley.
View Quote

Actually looked like a legitimate press release until that sentence.
Please give your source (linked) on this.  
I find it difficult to believe that Ashcroft is looking for comment when it is he who announced that he did not want a 90 day hold time; coinciding with the House vote on Moran's measure.

If I'm wrong, this get a free BTT.

David
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 5:47:15 PM EDT
[#16]
beekeeper, your letter is great for two reasons.

1) short and to the point
2) you automatically "assume the sale."  you don't ask that he'll do something or hope that he'll do something.  you basically tell him that he's going to do it.  you have no idea how powerful this subtle wording can be.

excellent!
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 5:50:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 5:53:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Here's my letter:

Dear Mr. Ashcroft,

As a hunter, sportsman, police officer, and gun-owner, I wish to thank you for your defense of the second amendment.  I firmly agree with your stance on the instant back ground check.  I see no legitimate reason to keep records of background checks on citizens that have already proven they are worthy enough to own a gun by passing the background check.  I do however, see a reason to keep records on those who fail the check.  Those that fail the check need to be investigated and prosecuted vigorously.  Let's reward law abiding citizens by respecting the privacy they deserve.  Let's also punish the criminals who seek to illegally purchase guns by giving them a well deserved stay at the local iron bar hotel.  I would also urge you to do anything within your power to help get rid of the ridiculous 1994 Assault Weapons ban.  This useless piece of legislation does nothing more than restrict cosmetic features on firearms.  Once again thanks for your support.

Sincerely,

Link Posted: 7/31/2001 5:54:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Dear Mr. Ashcroft;
       I would like to thank you for being a welcome change to the massive abuses of the Reno DOJ.  Among those abuses was the illegal compilation of firearms purchases.  The Brady Act, though a flawed piece of litigation in itself, states that records are only to be kept for 24 hours, then destroyed.  I'm sure you know the details.

On behalf of millions of sportsmen, gunowners, and collectors, stop this ridiculous abuse of common law.  I'm sure I can count on you to set this right, Mr. Ashcroft, and in the future correct other scars left behind by the Clinton era.  Thank you.
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 5:55:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
you have no idea how powerful this subtle wording can be.

View Quote

I've been a professional salesman for 23 yrs.--I [b]do[/b] have an idea.  [:D]

P.S.  Please don't tell anyone, cuz you know how people disdain salesmen.  
View Quote

well, that explains how easily it was used in your letter.  should've known.  most people don't think that way.  [:D]

P.S. i do my fair share of selling too.  your secret is safe with me.
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 6:06:16 PM EDT
[#21]
BTT
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 6:18:16 PM EDT
[#22]
This topic came up some time ago.

I sent the folowing e-mail to the Dept. of Justice -

"I heartily commend the Attorney General's decision to undo the Clintonistas'  illegal gun registration scheme that permitted the retention of gun sale approval records for a ninety (90) day period.  This was not envisioned by those who supported the instant check provisions when they were enacted by Congress, as you well know.

Keep up the Lord's work, Mr. Ashcroft!  Now we can all have a Happy Fourth of July!

(Eric The Hun) [:D]
Plano, Texas"

The e-mail was sent on 07/04/2001[>]:)]
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 6:35:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Newspaper article link as requested:

http://www.theunionleader.com/articles_show.html?article=4241
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 7:23:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Done!
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 7:35:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 8:46:12 PM EDT
[#26]
BTT
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 9:50:13 PM EDT
[#27]
There's welcome news at worldnetdaily.com about Attorney General Ashcroft's demotion of Lee Redek, Clinton's DOJ butt-boy who prosecuted all the citizens who gave illegal donations to DNC during 1996 Presidential campaign, but declined to go after anyone at the DNC or the White House over the same illegal donations.

see [url]http://worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=23847[/url]

Ahhh, justice at the department of justice.

Eric The(Kinda'Symetrical,Ain'tIt?)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 10:44:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Done.

I must point out however, the irony of all this. The law that created the NICS madated destruction of the records after 24 hours, the Clinton administration just ignored it.

Now the Attorney General, the highest LEO in the land, is seeking public input on if he should follow the law or not... DUHHHH.
View Quote

Actually he is doing his job the way it is supposed to be done- your just used to the way Reno and Clinton did things...
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 11:41:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Done.  My email:

Sirs,

I am writing in support of Attorney General John Ashcroft's policy of discarding background checks for firearms once the check has been completed.

There is no reason to keep this information on file once an applicant has been granted the go-ahead to purchase a gun.  The only possible reason I can see to retain the background check request is to keep tabs on firearm owners by the Federal government, which is deeply disturbing to myself and most firearm owners.  

It is very heartening to have a Justice Department that respects and intends to protect the letter and spirit of our Constitution as its authors and amenders envisioned.

Yours,

Evan Kennedy
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 12:03:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 2:44:25 AM EDT
[#31]
My letter to Mr Ashcroft:

Mr Ashcroft,

Thank you for wishing to follow the letter of the law concerning background checks for gun purchases. It is my understanding that this was the orignal law, as written, to be inforced once the Instant Backgound Check was in place and became a reality for all. But, for what-ever ambiguous reason, the previous DOJ  under Reno chose to ingnore their responsibility to follow the law and  by Fiat, illegally retain information on law-abiding citizens rather than use valuable resources to pursue the more derilict of our society (i.e. criminal element).
I applaud your efforts to correct this wrong and not view private gunownership as some type of anathema, to be closely monitored and controlled for the 'safety' of the general public, while the more deserving of our attention, who do bring harm and misfortune to the 'general  good' , are allowed more lieniency than those who have no desire or inclination to break the law.

Thank you for your efforts and am very hopeful for your success.

A Concerned and Law-Abiding Citizen,
             kihn                                                      
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 5:00:53 AM EDT
[#32]
Sometimes I wonder if, for the intended purpose of the 2nd Amendment, the govt knowing what I have is not a bad thing. The problem is that they've restricted what we're allowed to have.

If they had 120 million entries that said
Bob Smith
2 Rem 700
Remington 870

and about 50 million like
Charles & Rachel F. Fox Ligget*
2 dozen mausers
1 MG-42's
2 PPSH-41's
7 Garands
3 FN-FAL
* 5 kids who all shoot

and about 20 million
Ron & Mili Tia
3 M-16's
2 Garands
1 M-1919
RPG-7

Then I think we'd be well on our way to satisfying Thomas Jefferson's precondition for Liberty, as opposed to well on our way to satisfying his definition of Tyranny.
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 5:02:42 AM EDT
[#33]
btt
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 8:41:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Done.....................
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 9:32:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Did it and informed others to do it!

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 10:12:06 AM EDT
[#36]
e-mail on its way...
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 10:25:03 AM EDT
[#37]
E-mail sent...
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 2:35:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Excellent! Keep it up...
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 3:57:04 PM EDT
[#39]
such a pleasant change of pace to be writing to thank a gov't official for protecting my rights.
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 6:03:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Just sent mine...
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 7:29:51 PM EDT
[#41]
I sent him an email. Probably gonna get added to some file now, just like when I send pro-gun realted letters to Chuckie and Billary
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 11:32:24 AM EDT
[#42]
Dear Mr. Ashcroft,

I commend your recognition and correction for the illegal retention of the NIS background checks.  Even the ill conceived Brady bill insists that all records must be disposed of within 24 hours.  Finally, the people have an Attorney General willing to protect our rights.

It was a warm feeling to hear your recent comment on the Bill of Rights 2nd amendment, stating that it's a people's right, not a state's right.  I expect we shall hear further definition that it solely protects against infringements, of the people's rights to keep and bear arms.

Keep up the great work!

Sincerely,

Link Posted: 8/2/2001 2:05:53 PM EDT
[#43]
thumbtrap

As things have gone for a long time (poorly) I would be inclined to agree, let em know how much we have.  

In theory however, mutual respect between the government and the citizen is much better.  

The politics of hate and division is, hopefully, on the way out.
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 8:32:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Done.  I was going to just thank him, but I just couldn't let it go at that...

Although I do not condone any infringement on my inalienable right to keep and bear arms, I support A.G. Ashcroft's policy of reducing the time background check information is kept by the FBI.  This is clearly the policy that is consistent with the intentions of the legislature who passed this unconstitutional if well-intentioned law.  Therefore, in the spirit of this "step in the right direction", I would like to thank A.G. Ashcroft for his courage and values, and pledge my continued support for any additional actions he might take that restore integrity to the much-battered right guaranteed invoilate in the second amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

Thank You,
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 9:34:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

First, as a law-abiding, gun-owning citizen of the US, I would like to personally thank you for your tough stance in preserving our liberties and rights granted by the Constitution.  
View Quote

Remember boys and girls, rights are not "granted", they are inherent.  There is a difference and it is important.  I'm not trying to pick on you, AC.  Too many people fail to make the distinction.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 10:53:11 AM EDT
[#46]
E-mail sent.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 7:39:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Dear Attorney General John Ashcroft, I would like to thank you for your personal effort in defending the Second Ammendment.  Specifically, thank you for your leadership in seeing that the NICS records are destroyed as mandated by that law.  The Bush administration making America a free country again.  Please keep up the good work.
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 1:07:00 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

First, as a law-abiding, gun-owning citizen of the US, I would like to personally thank you for your tough stance in preserving our liberties and rights granted by the Constitution.  
View Quote

Remember boys and girls, rights are not "granted", they are inherent.  There is a difference and it is important.  I'm not trying to pick on you, AC.  Too many people fail to make the distinction.
View Quote

I STRONGLY SECOND THAT

THE U.S. CONSTITUTION recognizes and makes it known to all (esp. to the lesser beings needing reminding) of the inalienable rights GRANTED BY GOD--and God alone. That these rights preceded man AND all of man's laws.
If this is true, then by logic...
any man on earth pretending to diminish or nullify the inalienable rights specified within the U.S. Constitution, is not only a traitor, but also shall be construable as to be acting as a willful impostor of God, and exposed for what he is.

To lose sight of this important distinction is to lose your entire premise for why the subject of freedom is not even debatable, much less open to compromise.
To lose sight also means you have disarmed yourself and effectively armed the opposing side with the weapon of Compromise to wield, because *it* now believes it has a legitimate premise for asking YOU to compromise. You can then be fooled into believing the notion that there can be a "win-win" situation when it comes to negotiating freedom.

It is a shut case where it never was an open one.
There is nothing to debate or consider. There is nothing to concede or compromise. There is no holy (or otherwise) high appointed official nor committee of men who can decide--for or against--rule on, or legislate, the principles in the Constitution.  
The inherent rights exist without need for justification, just as we exist.
There can be no wavering whatsoever if the American Constitution is to survive the constant meddling of men.

I did sent off my note of allegiance to Mr. Ashcroft.
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 6:50:17 AM EDT
[#49]
Done

While I was at I told him what I thought of the Assualt Weapons Ban. [:D]
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 12:20:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Attorney General Ashcroft -
As an American Citizen, veteran, sportsman, and shooter, I would like to take a brief opportunity to thank you for your support of the Second Amendment rights of Americans and for your respect for our privacy.  Your initiative to return to a truly "instant" background check system is to be commended.  Men like yourself in positions of leadership can return America to the great nation originally envisioned.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top