Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/24/2005 5:14:53 PM EDT
I was leaning towards the M1A until I got some info on the ejection angle. I'm a lefty and that is an important factor. I've heard the ejection angle may cause a problem for a lefty. But, I really like the look of the M1A, and I know the quality is there.

www.springfield-armory.com/prod-rifles-scout.shtml

The AR-10 shouldn't give me that problem because of the deflector. Also, I'm already familiar with the AR-10s controls, and I know it's also good quality, but I prefer the look and feel of the M1A.

www.armalite.com/sales/catalog/rifles/ar10a4_spr.htm

Reliability and 2" groups is what I'm looking for in this rifle.

Opinions?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/24/2005 5:33:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Go with the M1A, I love my National Match......I have not owned an AR 10, (I opted for the big Bushy instead), but I have read here and on other forums that they can be a crap shoot, sometimes they feed and sometimes they don't...My only dealings with Armalite was an M-15, it was a POS so I sold it...If you do go AR 10 you should have no trouble getting 2 moa out of it based on what I've read........Good Luck and be sure to post pic's of whatever you decide on..
Link Posted: 11/25/2005 6:42:22 AM EDT
[#2]

I'll take the opposite side.  My AR10A4 runs fine.  It has ever since I resolved my mag issues.

I've seen plenty of articles recently questioning the quality of SA rifles.  Just like buying a car...there is always a chance of getting a lemon.  Get what you want and hope for the best.

Link Posted: 11/25/2005 6:47:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/25/2005 6:49:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Gun Tests Magazine recently ranked DPMS Panther 308 light years ahead of the Armalite and it costs several hundred$ less. It holds sub-MOA groups with crap ammo and same-hole groups at 100 yards with match grade ammo. If you're going for the "AR" type rifle you might want to consider that.
Link Posted: 11/25/2005 6:59:09 AM EDT
[#5]
I've read enough about AR-10's having issues that I wouldn't buy one personally.

I own a SA M1-A standard and am happy with it, but if you get that Scout, I'd replace the muzzle stabilizer with a real flash hider.   I shot my M1-A (with the muzzle break) once just to know what it would be like without hearing protection, and that was enough.   I swapped out the break to a flash hider, and fired one shot w/o hearing protection.  Much more tolerable with the standard flash hider.

I imagine with the shorter barrel the db's will be even higher with a muzzle break.

Some people have had issues with SA they relate to them using cast parts vs. GI, as the old surplus GI parts have run out.   Mine has been fine.
Link Posted: 11/25/2005 7:05:26 AM EDT
[#6]
I shoot  my M1A lefty and ejection isn't a problem. Kicks them kindof ahead and to the right.

Only time I get crap in my face is from shooting a 10/22.
Link Posted: 11/25/2005 7:09:04 AM EDT
[#7]
the best one for you to buy.......... would be the one you like the best, I've got a 10A4 carbine, I bought it because I like it, I put a SA 6x40 762 range finding scope on it and it was still a c-note cheaper than the M1A I was looking at.
Link Posted: 11/25/2005 7:15:18 AM EDT
[#8]
dont listen to people about how one type of weapon is crap, they are are all decent weapons, if the user is competent enough to understand what the week parts in the system are.

both weapons will serve you fine for what your asking, in the event that you are going to buy new, like said above its a crap shoot with both companies,   may i suggest getting a used rifle off the equipment exchange so you know its history befor you make an 1200 dollar endever into a new weapon

either way have fun with your new weapon
Link Posted: 11/25/2005 7:28:17 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Only 1 thing bugs me about the M1A Scout Squad...lack of chrome lined bore.

+1 on that, the other thing, many of the newer M1A parts are non GI, and are cast...a buddy of mine, had one..several of the parts including the extrator and op rod failed after having very low round counts. I have an AR10...and haven't looked back...well I kinda wish I had got a flat-top, but that's not the guns fault...
Link Posted: 11/25/2005 7:39:46 AM EDT
[#10]
I have owned both and I am a lefty as well.  I like the AR-10 platform personally, I  have an Eagle arms version with a flat-top and 20" stainless, it shoots MOA to 400 yds and does ok at 600.  With an M1A you have to watch hand placement or you will cause jamming, the op-rod is under your right thumb when you shoot.
Link Posted: 11/25/2005 6:46:44 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I have owned both and I am a lefty as well.  I like the AR-10 platform personally, I  have an Eagle arms version with a flat-top and 20" stainless, it shoots MOA to 400 yds and does ok at 600.  With an M1A you have to watch hand placement or you will cause jamming, the op-rod is under your right thumb when you shoot.

The op-rod being under the thumb of my support hand was another major concern, after the ejection angle.

Thanks for the inputs, gentlemen. I'm going to try and track down some friends of a friend, and fire both before making up my mind.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/25/2005 6:49:15 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Only 1 thing bugs me about the M1A Scout Squad...lack of chrome lined bore.

No reason to consider it any further then. Get the AR-10.
Link Posted: 11/25/2005 6:53:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Get the AR10 for the reasons already mentioned.  Cast parts for USGI parts is a no no, especially since your paying more now than they were with real deal USGI parts in them.
Link Posted: 11/25/2005 6:54:35 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a national match M1A.  I would get the M1A because I love the design and quality.
Link Posted: 11/25/2005 6:55:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Umm, Fal.
Link Posted: 11/25/2005 6:59:59 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Umm, Fal.

+1

I recently purchased my first FAL carbine and it shoots like a dream, I'm getting 2" groups with SA surplus. Don't overlook the FAL
Link Posted: 11/25/2005 7:01:29 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Umm, Fal.

I've already got one. I'm looking to add another .308 semi to keep it company. (Read - looking for an excuse to buy another gun!)

I'll probably get one of these, also. When they are ready in a month or two. Sweet looking classic FAL!

www.dsarms.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=SA58G1&storeid=1&image=sa58g1.gif
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top