Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2001 5:02:50 PM EDT
Gee, look at what has happened in the city.  
c-rock
www.illinois-shooter.org

Stray bullet wounds flight attendant, airline captain near Cabrini-Green

Also available

E-mail this story
Printer-friendly format

By Crystal Yednak and Eric Ferkenhoff
Tribune staff reporters

Published July 30, 2001, 3:46 PM CDT

A flight attendant and an airline captain headed to O'Hare International Airport this morning became the latest innocent bystanders struck by stray gunfire in Chicago as they rode an airport shuttle bus through the Near North Side, authorities said.

The 23-year-old Continental Airlines flight attendant from Houston was in good condition this afternoon at St. Mary of Nazareth Hospital Center, Chicago, a hospital spokesman said. The woman was sitting on the right side of the bus and was struck in the lower right hip, according to authorities.

The same bullet grazed the hip of a Continental Airlines captain.

The Phoenix Charter Transport bus was carrying 13 passengers, mostly flight attendants and pilots for Continental Airways and US Airways, police said. It was heading west in the 600 block of Division Street, near the Cabrini-Green public housing complex, about 4:45 a.m. when the shots were fired.

The bus driver, Rich Rolon, said the other crew members screamed that the woman had been hit. He headed west on Division to St. Mary of Nazareth Hospital Center.

"I've got to admit I think I ran through a few red lights there," Rolon said.

Police said a man on the sidewalk in front of Cabrini-Green had pulled a gun from his waistband and was firing at a car driving next to the bus, but hit the bus instead.

"I've driven through there when Cabrini-Green was at its worst, and nothing like this ever happened," Rolon said. "If I had been going a little slower, it could've gone through her liver or something else."

The flight attendant was scheduled for exploratory surgery later today, but doctors were optimistic she would be able to go home Tuesday, said Rahsaan Johnson, a spokesman for Continental.

The airline captain was treated and released, police said.

Ed Smith, vice president of Phoenix Charter Transport, said the incident shook his driver and staff.

"It's kind of a black eye on the city of Chicago. We get visitors from out of town, and this kind of thing happens," Smith said. "I guess I'll recommend to my drivers to avoid Division Street."

Bus passengers who escaped injury were interviewed by police and then continued to the airport, Smith said.

Today's shootings were the latest against bystanders that have plagued the city this month.

On Saturday afternoon, Francisco Macias, 12, was playing outside on the 1700 block of West 48th Street when he was shot in the head and killed by a gunman who opened fire from a gangway, police said.

Hours later, Chatier Morris, 14, was shot five times as she fled a burst of gunfire outside her family's apartment in the 4500 block of South Evans Avenue, police said. She was listed in serious condition today at the University of Chicago Hospitals.

Link Posted: 7/30/2001 5:05:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Investigators believe both youngsters were caught by stray gunfire in neighborhoods plagued by gang activity.

Previously, city officials and community leaders were outraged when 4-year-old Robert Anderson III was shot and killed July 6 as he played outside his family home in the 1300 block of South Komensky Avenue.

Terrence Ligon, 26, was arrested in Memphis on July 12 and charged with Anderson's slaying. Ligon is being held without bond in Cook County Jail.

Link Posted: 7/30/2001 5:14:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, I'm convinced.  Let's expand these laws to a national level.  
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 6:44:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I still miss Chicago anyway. Picked up wife and kid and left in 64.

marsh
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 7:13:18 PM EDT
[#4]
WTF were they doing in Cabrini Green anyway?!!! During my short tenure in Chicago, the Navy and everyone else (Illinois SP, Chicago PD, NIS, etc.) made it [b][i]PATENTLY[/i][/b] clear to stay the hell out of Cabrini Green.
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 7:21:35 PM EDT
[#5]
It wasn't me--honest!!

This happened down the street from me.

As to what they were doing in Cabrini-Green, it is currently coming down--and now the worst dregs of society are starting to move into that area.  And, Division street is a main thoroughfair from the Lakefront to 90/94 in that area.  There is a new police station LITERALLY across the street (already occupied) from where this happened, and there is also a firehouse there also.  I have no problems with driving by that area--my biggest fear is the assholes who step off the sidewalk in the middle of the street trying to get to the rip-off grocery across the street (not that I blame the grocer--they walk across the street to his store and pay DOUBLE what it costs them if they would walk ONE block to a real grocery store--the grocer is profiting off their lazyness).  I figure the people who step off the sidewalk are just looking for a lawsuit (or drunk).  

I wouldn't walk into the center of Cabrini Green for any reason (I did enough of that in Richmond, VA at Midlothian Village, Jefferson Village, etc. when I worked for a rent-to-own place).  But driving through should be safe enough.

Link Posted: 7/30/2001 7:27:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Sadly, much of Chicago is a rotting ghetto these days.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 8:40:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm sorry, I thought everyone knew what I was talking about:

"Sadly, much of Chicago is a rotting ghetto these days"

The Worst Dregs of Society I was talking about are far worse than you will find in a rotting ghetto.  They are the Volvo Driving, Starbucks Sipping, Condo Owning Yuppie scum that you see proliferating and driving the good hard working Americans out of their neighborhoods these days.

They are tearing Cabrini Green down and putting CONDO's in.  (1 Bedroom at about $200k).

AFARR
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top